“Good value”

Ranked #28 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
“Good value”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I stayed here several nights just after Christmas while playing in a bridge tournament at the Grand Dunes Marriott. I got the Dayton Resort on a blind Hotwire booking for $38 per night. Certainly can't complain, when friends were paying 2.5 times that for the Marriott. The room was clean, comfortable, and secure. The resort is right on the beach in downtown MB, so in season you can easily walk or swim. There are restaurants within easy walking distance. There is parking across the street, and you may have a bit of a walk to your vehicle.

My room was a spacious double with a very small but complete kitchen. While the resort is beginning to show its age and thus rates closer to two stars than three, everything worked, housekeeping was satisfactory, and front desk service was good. My bed was fine, and I slept well. I assume some rooms there have ocean views, but mine did not. The resort offers typical oceanfront amenities. You can hear everything (ahem, I do mean everything) in adjacent rooms, that is, of course, unless you turn on the in-room hvac unit, which was very loud, but worked ok.

When the bridge tournament comes back to Myrtle Beach in two years I wouldn't shop for this particular hotel, but I wouldn't have any problem staying here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Nice and quiet. We came last minute for NYE perfect ocean front view of the fireworks. It was quiet and the room was nice and clean the tub was kind of soiled, and the maid had left the previous guests food container in the fridge, but no biggie. The staff was nice and the beds were very clean and comfortable. We would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014
Orange City, Florida
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We booked reservations through Carolina Opry and certainly glad they gave us this hotel. Great friendly and accommodating staff, clean rooms and no longer in my prime I have a difficult time with most hotel beds but not here. I can say I had a great nights sleep each of the three nights we stayed. Thanks to all of the staff for everything.

Room Tip: Ocean side!! The sound of the ocean it just great.
Burlington, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I had rave reviews from friends but was really disappointed considering the hotel's reputation. Had to call twice to get heater fixed (actually replaced). Parking under the hotel is a nightmare so count on parking across the street. Beds were very uncomfortable..sagged on sides and hard in middle. Rooms were clean but lighting very poor, especially in bath. Really upset about noise between buildings from employees at 7:30 every morning. This is a vacation resort people! Guests are sleeping at 7:30 am!!

Room Tip: Very few ocean front rooms, ocean view rooms have minimal view.
5 Thank Grannani
Tennessee
Reviewed 28 December 2013

My wife and I decided to come for a post-Christmas weekend trip. The hotel is completely different from the one my family brought me to as a child in the 60's. What hasn't changed is the friendly service we received checking in at this family-owned property. (Thanks, John) We opted for a corner King in the Suites building, and have enjoyed a great view. There are several different buildings, with varying views of the ocean, so choose carefully. Winter rates are very reasonable, and the hotel is in a good location. Parking can be a bit of a challenge, as there were only about four spaces under the building accessible to our SUV. There is some parking beside the building, and more across the street. Wi fi was the only real negative issue, as it kept kicking us off my laptop and my wife's Kindle. The signal goes from fair to poor. Hopefully this problem will be addressed. Overall, a great stay!

Forest VA
Reviewed 24 December 2013

We love the beach in the off season and always stay at the Dayton House. The rates are great. Our room in Dec was 27.00. Standard rooms are efficiencies with a full size frig, stove, microwave. All dishes and cook ware are provided. The hotel isn't fancy but it's clean and on the beach. The staff are always friendly and accomodating. Parking is close be and well lit. For us, it's the best value at Myrtle Beach and within walking distance or many restaurants and especcialy our favorite-The Sea Captain's House.

Room Tip: Dayton House has many buildings. If you want to see the beach, ask for the North or South tower.
Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Took my Mother (declining health) and step-Dad for a return trip to MB where they used to make frequent trips but due to her health, he's not able to travel by himself with her any longer. We stayed from December 2-5. They were excited about going there for the Carolina Opry Christmas Show and the beach. I booked through Expedia.com and upon arrival, found the handicapped accessible bathroom for Mama and other requests made weren't done. Bev/Dayton was helpful, kind and when I explained my concerns, gave me Expedia's number to get this resolved. Beware!!! Had major problems as the "upper person" I was connected to was from a foreign country and was difficult, unkind and unhelpful . The manager, Andy at the Dayton saw how upset I was and ended up talking to her and working it out. We ended up instead of two rooms, staying in the "suites building", which has handicapped accessible rooms, which we needed for Mama. The only reason I didn't give 5 stars is the pull down bed I slept on was squishy/uncomfortable/poor sleep as a result. The Dayton staff was fantastic in every way. When I told them my request to get Mama on the beach (she's wheel-chair bound) they gave me the number for the police who brought a "special" wheelchair with balloon tires that made it possible for Mama to spend a beautiful afternoon on the beach. She always loved walking on the beach and hadn't been there in several years now. She had a blast that afternoon. My advice? Please think carefully about using Expedia and do like I did and read reviews from people who have used Expedia. Speaking for myself, I know from know on, I'll book directly with the hotel instead to ensure a smooth, worry-free travel experience. And if you happen to have problems, it much easier to deal directly with the hotel. Thanks again, Andy for all your efforts made to get the problem corrected. You rock!!! Due to your help, a few days after arrival back home, called my credit card company and my refund for the second room was reflected on my account. Thanks also to Bev for helping me upon check-in as well. Your kindness, compassion and help were appreciated. Merry Christmas (early I know) to the Dayton staff!!!

Room Tip: If traveling with someone with mobility issues, ask for the "suites building". Also read m...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family