“Only hotel snobs won't like the Dayton House”

Dayton House Resort
Ranked #25 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Bunker Hill, West Virginia
“Only hotel snobs won't like the Dayton House”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2006

My wife and I have been vacationing in Myrtle Beach for the past several years. Each time we go we stay at the Dayton House Resort. We are very pleased with our room and extremely pleased with the rate. We love the grassy area between the buildings and the beach. All of the pools are great. I understand that some people may get a little upset with the ID braclet, but I think they're a great idea. We've stayed at the resort when ID braclets weren't required. Any Tom, Dick, or Harry could be using the facilities that I paid for. Before the braclets you couldn't find an empty chair or table on the lawn, now an empty one is much easier to find. My wife feels a lot safer when using the facilities while I'm playing golf. She knows that there are security guards present and that everyone using the pools and lawn are guests of the resort. Our rooms are always clean and well-kept. I enjoy the fact that we are able to rent an efficenicy. Most hotels only give you a choice of a room (too small) or a suite ( too large). I understand the people who are used to staying at 5 star resorts and paying $250+ per night find the Dayton House Resort a little less than expected. For me and my wife the Dayton House Resort is the best money can buy in Myrtle Beach. We are again planning a trip there in late June and we can't wait. Thanks Dayton House Resort for your affordable rates, your service and amenities, and your great location. Anyone who wants to spend a week at an oceanfront resort without paying an arm and a leg should seriously consider the Dayton House Resort.

• Stayed June 2005
11 Thank ERat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2006

The Dayton House has a lot of things going for it. Having stayed in other places here, we had to get used to the fact that the parking was across the street. Still, once you get into vacation mode it's not that big a deal. The huge grassy area in front of the complex is definitely a plus, and even though the large contingent of seniors is out there early reserving tables, there's always somewhere to lie down and get some rays.

We enjoyed the pool because it was a good size, and warm enough to just walk into right away. It's true that they have people walking around checking if you are wearing a wristband, but that's a good thing because it keeps away people who don't stay at the hotel. In no way did we find them to be a problem, after a while you don't even notice them. They're just doing their jobs after all.

The location is good because you are not far from Broadway on the Beach and having stayed in the south end on previous visits it was a nice change. The room was your typical efficiency, everything worked, although the coffee maker could have been bigger, and the bathtub was a little tight. Sure, it was only May, but we rarely had to wait more than 20 seconds for an elevator, which was great.

There are a lot of seniors here, but also younger couples and families, so it's a good mix. It may not be a good fit for people with teenage kids perhaps.

On the negative side, we felt very slighted by the desk people when we arrived. We were promised something when we booked (well in advance) and it was not honoured upon arrival. We appealed to a second person and we were basically dismissed. For us that's a red flag; customer service like that almost always guarantees that we will not return. Things worked out fine overall for us, but that's not the point. Next time we will probably spend our accommodation money elsewhere strictly for that reason.

• Stayed May 2006
13 Thank roncar
Florence, KY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2006

My wife, children and I just returned from a 6 night stay at the Dayton House. My children are ages 2 and 5. We stayed in an Oceanfront 2 room suite. We enjoyed our stay, especially at the rate we booked. The walk-in pool was awesome. We would stay there again.

The good.
1. The walk-in 0-entry pool was very nice, especially with our 2 young children.
2. The hotel was very clean. Our room was clean. The carpet in the room looked new. The pools were cleaned everyday we were there.
3. The are many restaurants that are walking distance from the hotel. Some include Dirty Don's, SoHo, River City Cafe, Uncle Johns, Magnolia's on 26th, Harry's Pancake House. We also walked to Hook's Mini-golf, Pacific beachware, and Eagles beachware. Broadway on the Beach is just a short drive away.
4. The shower had a lot of pressure.

The bad.
1. The rooms were pretty small. Only 1 person could fit into the bathroom at a time. The living room was also small with only a 2 person sofa and 1 chair, but it did include a wall bed. A table and 4 chairs were also squeezed in.
2. The sheets and bath towells were pretty rough, especailly when sunburned.
3. We could hear the plumbing in the other rooms.
4. There is not much parking in the garage. We had to park across the Ocean Blvd behind the West Building, which was sometimes a burden with 2 small children.
5. The "pool security guards" were a little too tough. They told my 5 year old son he couldn't jump off the side of the pool with me there to catch him. I also heard them tell a couple of young kids they could not toss a ball or splash the water. Come on! Let the kids have some fun! (There was only 1 "pool security guard" working at a time, so you could just be on the lookout for him.)

• Stayed May 2006
12 Thank bogiechad
Detroit, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2006

We just returned from the Dayton House and loved it. The employee wasn't exactly a "security guard" and I was happy to have someone checking to ensure that those on the property were actually hotel guests. Went with three daughters 10, 12 and 14 and we all loved the pools and the lazy river. If we go back to MB, would definately stay here again.

Stayed April 2006
1 Thank MaltaLover
Stoney Creek, Ont. Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2006

We have stayed at The Dayton House, several times over the past 35 years, and wouldn't stay anywhere else, in Myrtle Beach! We usually come for a 12 TO 15 day period, normally in the spring, (late April/early May), but did visit in Oct. 2005. We were there lately from Mar. 25, until April 10. and had a great time, despite the cooler 55 to 75 degree weather.

As usual the ocean-front efficiency unit we had was very clean, and kept that way, each day, by the friendly cleaning staff. The carpeting looked brand new, and the room was very bright and cheery.

All the (3) pools were operating and heated and the whole area is hosed clean every morning!

We have checked other facilities, over the past years, and have always returned to Dayton House, as we believe it is always kept clean and up-to-date! Over the years we have never had a problem getting the odd item replaced or repaired, as necessary, and have alwayts found the staff to helpful and friendly........................including the owner, who has had this resort for the past 46 years!

I don't think you'll find anything on the beach that has as large a grassy area, and as many tables, umbrellas, chairs and lounges , that are always re-aligned each morning, to make things look neat and tidy!

6 Thank Gary B
Long Island, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2006

Just returned from spending our family's Easter vacation at the Dayton House and would warn you that this is definately not a place for families with children. If you're a senior citizen and are content with sitting quietly, then you might like this place. But if, by chance, your children might like to frollick in the pool or toss a soft sponge ball back and forth between them, go someplace else that lives up to its claim of being a family-orientated resort, because the Dayton House isn't! They actually have a security guard on constant patrol in the pool, deck and lawn, checking for resort ID bracelets. The hotel is poorly located alongside two public beach access walkways, and in an attempt to keep out the public, they require guests to wear the ID braclets at all times. If you happen to dose off while soaking up the sun on a lounge chair, the guard will wake you up and demand to see your ID bracelet. This happens constantly, the guard on duty throughout our stay didn't even have the ability to recognize guests that were staying at the hotel for the entire week! My son has scratches on his chest from the loose end of his bracelet. We told him to wear it on his ankle, but he wouldn't, saying the guard was very intimidating if he did'nt display it on his wrist. This policy is unique to the Dayton House because of its terrible location adjoining two public beach access walkways. Other Myrtle Beach resorts don't have this problem and are, as a result, much more relaxing. We overheard other guests saying they felt like they were in a prison. As for the service, we found the employees were unpredictable, some were pleasant and helpful, others rude and uncaring. A woman at the front desk almost had a hissy fit when I asked for a replacement ID bracelet for my child's lost one. And when I called the front desk asking for toilet paper because the maid had left us empty, the reply was "you can come down to the front desk and we will give you some". Luckily, I was able to go and get some, but what if I needed it immediately? The attendant never offered to send any up to our room.
In summary, don't be fooled by their claim to be a family orientated resort, they do not hide the fact that they do not like kids. And if you want friendly service, don't count on getting it at the Dayton House.

11 Thank BlueClaws
Durham, NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2006

I stayed at this hotel on Easter weekend, and this was the worst service I ever received! When I was at the counter to check-in, the rep. acted as though I was bothering him by asking for a room.
Later that evening, there was a problem concerning my room, and the hotel attendant spoke to me like I was a dog!!! I asked him why he was being so rude to me, and his response was "I am an a****** because I can be"!!! It was 2am and he told me I had to leave, and take my 2 kids with me, one being disabled. I asked him if he would refund my money because I had not stayed the entire night, and he told me "Absolutely not, and I don't care about you having kids with you". I have never in my life been treated so coldly, and I caution anyone looking to visit this establishment.

13 Thank Rasheeda A