“Loved the Anderson!”

Ranked #10 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
djarvis04
“Loved the Anderson!”
Reviewed 20 August 2008

I recently stayed at the Anderson Ocean Club and had a GREAT experience. The hotel staff was friendly and extremely helpful. They were quick to offer coupons and discounts for local attractions as well as give directions and help my friends and I find cheap attractions. The view was incredible and the room was amazing. It was large and roomy and very clean. Overall, I definitely recommend staying at the Anderson, it was worth every penny!

• Liked — The staff was extremely helpful and the view was amazing!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank djarvis04

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (675)
kleinburg
Reviewed 18 August 2008

My family and I just came back from a fantastic vacation in Myrtle Beach. We stayed at the Anderson Ocean Club. We will definately return. The suite was clean, and the staff was friendly and helpful. The location is great.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
2 Thank bbzKleinburg
Atlanta, Ga
Reviewed 15 August 2008

Great hotel if you have a vehicle. Service was a little slow at check in/for towels. The room was immaculate.clean.comfortable. It was many more kids in the pool area than i expected but overall durable. I will reccomend.

• Liked — new.clean.kitchen facilitys.
  • Disliked — need more computers or enforce timing...
2 Thank Treysunny
Southport, NC
Reviewed 13 August 2008

I poured over hotel sites for months before choosing the Anderson. I liked the fact that it was new and I didn't want to stay in another moldy smelling hotel in need of an extreme makeover. We easily found a parking spot on site to check in and had someone there immediately to load our baggage and take it to our room. I was the only person checking in on a Tuesday afternoon and had two smiling faces waiting to expedite the process. I must say we were very impressed with our one bedroom suite. It was clean, well stocked and exactly like the photos.
I had read about the maid service problem and I just did most of the cleaning myself, but if you expect prompt daily service you will probably be disappointed. I did make a request for extra towels to one of the maids I saw on our first day and we had plenty of towels delivered every day. I think they appreciated that they didn't have to worry about cleaning our room, so they made sure to honor our towel needs. I was disappointed in the cleanliness of the rest of the building and grounds. Hallways were never vacuumed during our five day stay. There was trash on elevators that was there when we arrived and when we left.
The pool area was small, as were pools and hot tubs. My daughter and her friend used the pools daily, but I only attempted it once. First of all, I don't like salt water pools. Then there were about four older teenagers playing ball in the pool we were in and they forced us to stay in one corner of the pool in order to avoid bodily harm by their rough-housing. I went into one of the small four person hot tubs and quicly got out because it was so full of grass and debris that I felt I was in a human stew!. My daughter said she left one of the other pools when she saw part of a sandwich floating near her face.
We tried Magnolia's Restaurant once. It was pre-packaged, powdered and greasey food. The salad bar waspretty decent and they had a really yummy pecan pie, but I didn't really enjoy anything else I ate there.
One night we had a terrible thunderstorm and lost power for a few minutes. I had trouble regulating the temperature in our room for a couple of hours afterwards and felt something was wrong. Then about 10:30 that evening, alarms went off in our room and the intercom told eveyone to evacuate the building. I woke our two teenagers and helped my elderly mother down the stairs. Fortunately, we were only on the 7th floor and we didn't have too far to go down. After about 30-45 minutes we were told that someone had admitted to pulling a fire alarm. We overheard what appeared to be a manager giving orders to call in all the maintenence crew as some of the sprinklers had gone off and flooded some rooms. Luckily, our room was OK.
We checked out on a Sunday and it was much more inconvenient than our smooth check in. We requested a cart to take our luggage down, but it didn't arrive so we grabbed what we could and carried it all the way to the parking garage. We got the car and drove over to the hotel to finish check out and pick up the rest of our party and luggage. I had to get in line on the city street because there was no room on the hotel property. Finally, a hotel employee came out and directed traffic to get us off the street and out of the flow of traffic.
As I've said ,I loved the room but I really didn't care for the resort as a whole. Next visit, I'll probably go back to one of the other resorts I've stayed at or search for yet another new one to try. The Anderson has pros and cons, it just depends on what you're looking for in a hotel.

• Liked — Quality of the room
  • Disliked — Pool area and lack of amenities
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank tjo4408
Maryland
Reviewed 11 August 2008

We recently stayed at AOC (Aug. 5-Aug. 10). We loved it! We had a stunning view of the ocean from our balcony. Our room was perfect. We checked in very quickly (we arrived on a Tuesday at about 6pm). We found our room clean and well stocked with tolietries and cleaning supplies. We are a family of five that stayed in a one bedroom condo. Although, it was a little tight (we had two pack and plays and plenty of luggage) we managed fine. The beach was just a few steps away and beautiful. Our children (6, 1, 3mos) loved the pools. They were not over crowded or dirty. There was the occasional rowdy family, but that is to be expected. The staff was helpful. They helped us find great restuarants and even gave us meal coupons for nearby restuarants! All in all we can't wait to go back next year!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — parking
3 Thank Mtingwald
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 10 August 2008

THE BEGINNING AND THE COST:
My Wife and I wanted to celebrate our 25th Anniversary stateside and rekindle that special magic where we spent many summers in our twenties and thirties. We reserved the room back in July and only had to leave a $140 deposit for 1-7 August. As we traveled from Pittsburgh, PA on the 31st of July, we called and added a day in advance without any problems total cost about $1300 for 8 days.

THE LOBBY:
We parked in the unloading parking spots near the entrance to the lobby by the pools. We arrived at about 530 pm, there were two couples ahead of us and only waited 15 minutes to check in. The AOC looked extravagant in the entrance and the lobby. The AC was cold in the 98 degree weather. There were bellmen immediately available to help us unload our car with a 10 dollar tip. Same at checkout. The elevator was down on one side only once six elevators in all.

THE GARAGE:
I parked the car in the garage and was back in my room in no time. My wife and I are healthy, all week long we walked back and forth to the garage without incident. Even at 230 am, after a night of dancing at broadway at the beach, we came back to a crowded garage and still managed to park on a saturday night the most crowded time there. However, take the elevators cause the garage stairwells have strong smell of concrete.

THE ROOM:
My wife and I only needed an efficiency room, but WOW the granite factor really added to the granduer of the room. It was special. A family friend stopped by and was really impressed with the room and the kitchen and bath. We cooked very little, had plenty to drink and we used the washer and dryer almost daily. As far as room service we declined having anyone in our room, but there was a room safe for our valuables. When we did ask for service such as changing towels and taking out the trash it was done without any problems. The rooms were clean and so were the dishes, but we washed them anyway. There were a few scrapes on the wall and the balcony was small, but we managed. There is no external fan for the stove, when we did cook ,we opened the sliding glass door to ventilate. We did bring our own cable, for internet access for the laptop, but didn't really need it. We did use the WIFI from the Carolinian next door as someone else previously suggested.

THE SPA:
Too expensive, my wife had her pedicure and nails done nearby for nearly half the price.

THE FOOD:
MAGNOLIA'S was ok,But, because of the location, we were able to travel and eat at LE GRANDE at Barefoot landing, to the north LANDRY'S at Broadway at the beach a few blocks away, and even at ULTIMATE CALIFORNIA PIZZA at Market Commons to the south of us. We danced at celebrity square I believe it was at REVALUTIONS.

THE BEACH AND (UGH) THE POOL:
Without question the AOC's beach was nice. Every night the beach was combed by tractors and was clean. We usually carried two beach chairs, towels, and a small cooler. We did have to play leap frogger with the cars that were coming and going, but it really wasn't that bad, but man you need a third arm to get through the door and gate between the pool and the beach. We did have to go around a crowded pool area to get to the beach. Very tiny area no matter what anyone says, trust me especially on friday and saturday. But the beach was not very crowded, we always found a spot to set up. The pool is a saltwater pool, it was cloudy, and had sand in the bottom the few times I went in. To be fair, when I went out for my morning swim in the ocean, the pool staff was out there cleaning them every morning. I went to a friends place at the Beach Cove. Now there was a real lazy river that moved and clean fresh water pools-just to compare.

SAFETY AND SECURITY:
I observed cameras at numerous locations like the garage, the front entrances the pool areas as well as in the elevator areas. I observed men in security uniforms and law enforcement at or near the grounds on numerous occasions but not for any incidents. The AOC is well lit at night and so is the garage. They need to consider putting lights up for the beach area, very dark at night and at 530 in the morning. Make sure you pull on your door to shut it. I did notice sometimes it didn't lock all the way. I did have to reset my security card two times.The gym required use of a room key for entry. I was able to walk into the stairwell go up to the penthouse area. I scared someone in the stairs, who was smoking a cigarette , he ran off . There is no smoking in the rooms.

OVERALL;
Nice place, pool sucks.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The Pool
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ray53chevy
rhode island
Reviewed 10 August 2008

The Anderson Ocena Club is a new hotel. The rooms are beautiful. You have to do some of your own housekeeping and the pools are nothing to see. The hotel is centrally located and is very clean. This is a place to stay if you want a new hotel, a clean place to stay, (provided you are willing to do everything except make the beds) and a clean beach. This is not a place for small kids who want big pools with lots of gadgets. The 8$ per day valet parking is worth every penny. Your car is brought to you as many times as you want. You do not have to walk across the street with your luggage with the valet service. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Myrtle beach is a honky tonk and should be viewed as such. there are more miniature golf courses than pedestrians and tshirt shops abound.

• Liked — location/newness
  • Disliked — clean your own room
2 Thank lburns2971