“Unsure of their identity and missing some amenities.”

Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts
Ranked #8 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We booked through Oceana/Wyndham but the property is partially owned by and wholly managed by Hilton so we were 2nd class citizens as all focus by staff is on potential Hilton Vacation Club buyers. Sales tours go on constantly. They pressured us in the lobby and called our room trying to get us to go to a Hilton sales pitch but we were not there for that reason. This was a family vacation. I was offended by the invasion of sales people into our vacation.

Computers were down right at check-in time (4pm) and they directed us to the concierge for a welcome gift but she turned out to just be a time share sales woman named Helen who did not take NO for an answer. Later they got back online and we were checked in. When we checked out I had to ask and then wait to get a receipt.

The beach is nice and the view from the balcony and living room is breathtaking. The kitchen was very nice and washer/dryer helpful. Could have used a coat of paint but otherwise the room was nice inside. The fitness room was very nice. We did not use the spa.

Noise was an issue from both the corridor outside the bedroom and from the pool deck. There was no visible security folks to take care of unruly guests. One night we endured someone playing a drum in their room for almost two hours.

There is NO food available onsite except from vending machines or the muffins at Starbucks in the lobby. The pool bar sells only alcohol and is cash only, no charging to the room. There is NO bar food menu even though they advertise one. The staff directs everyone to the restaurant across Ocean Boulevard named Magnolias. They gave us coupons at check-in so we went there the first night but had to leave without eating. Magnolias atmosphere is much like Shoney's. The building smelled like vinegar and food on the buffet was old and dried out at 6:30pm. We ended up eating at Greg Normans at Barefoot Landing and it was excellent. We drove to Restaurant Row or Broadway at the Beach for dinner every night.

One day they forgot to clean our room while we were out for the bulk of the day. Called for service at 4pm and they did send someone to tidy up. Funny thing is she had no toilet paper on her cart and instead of going to get some told us to call the front desk for it, so they had to send another person up with that. Other days the room was kept clean. They even ran the dishwasher for us.

Valet service struggles. They briefly lost our keys one day. Most frustrating is that they have no luggage carts for guests to use and insist they handle all baggage. I complained at the desk about this but was told I had to use the valet service. Call me a control freak but I would rather do it myself!

There is NO business center even though they advertise one. Wi-Fi service worked well.

Pools were crowded and noisy and the 'indoor' pools really are just under an overhang. There is one attendant at the pools with towels. A vendor comes and sells Italian ice during the day. There are no other food or drinks available and she only takes cash, no charging to the room.

They really need to put in a convenience store to sell soda, water, snacks, lotions, souvenirs, etc. They need a classy restaurant with room service. Hilton needs to either take over or move out and they need to lay off the sales pitches to people who are not there for that. Some security folks could help with the noisy pool and hallways and to control the partiers. Valet could be moved to the front of the hotel and a professional doorman employed. A few luggage carts for self-serve could be purchased.

Overall not a good value at $300-$400 per night.

Room Tip: Bedroom windows open onto a corridor that is very loud.
10  Thank gandersonsc
OceanaResorts, Marketing Coordinator at Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Anderson Ocean Club. We apologize that your visit did not meet your expectations. We have shared your feedback with the appropriate parties, and are taking actions to address these issues immediately. We do appreciate your feedback and hope that you will give us another chance in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,103)

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Fabulous beach and they will take care of you! GReat restaurants along the way and the boardwalk is a fun little adventure. Take time to stroll the beach and go shell shopping there are many "finds" to be had! Running along the beach is the best in the morning before the crowd settles in.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Grand Vacations
1  Thank Andrea S
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Ok so we are HGVC owners. You need to know that this is not the usually HGVC property. This location has rooms that belong to condo owners, hotel rooms, and time share owners all in the same building. If you are use to food by the pool, kid activities, and the full service that you get at a HGVC property then this place won't have all that. However we did have a great stay. The pool was nice and clean and kept our toddlers busy. The front desk and concierge were fantastic. Helena was very helpful with golf reservation. The valets was a bit slow at high volume times but they were on top of the job and very very friendly!!. I asked for a tequila neat with a water back and Vitoria ( who was super nice and friendly) had no idea what I meant. If you want a real drink go to 21st st SOHO Sushi and ask for Trisha or Nicole. All the staff had on the Hilton smiles that we are use to. Hilton is building a new location in Myrtle beach that will have the full layout. We took our kids down for a movie at the pool but they had technical problems so the kids were upset. If you are use to a poboy sandwich the New Orleans style don't order one in Myrtle Beach, went to Dirty Dons and all I got was a hotdog bug with lettuce, tomato and 3 oysters -dry as hell! Dolly Parton Pirate Show was SUPER!!! and the kids loved it. We would stay at this location again, just remember that every one you see in the elevator is not a time share owner. Say hi to Phil the valet if you want to know were the parties are. Oh and Barb at the front desk kept a smile and good vibes on her face ALL the time. We went 6/6/14

Room Tip: Ocean Front of coarse
7  Thank TwinTravels2011
Reviewed 14 June 2014

My family & I stayed at the Anderson from 6/9 - 6/12 and we absolutely loved it! Before we booked our stay, I read hundreds of reviews on several different properties and made the decision to stay at the Anderson. We are so glad we chose this property! We stayed in a 1 bedroom King suite- oceanfront. We were put up on the 16th floor and the view from our balcony was amazing! I highly recommend spending the extra money to stay oceanfront vs. oceanview and requesting a room on a higher floor - you will not be disappointed! The suite was clean & well kept - which was the biggest concern for me - I travel with my own cleaning supplies (bleach, lysol, etc) and I'm happy to say that upon arrival & inspection of the property was thoroughly cleaned. It was also very well stocked - all kitchen essentials (cups, bowls, utensils, etc.) There is also a washer/dryer unit included in the suite and even though it is small - it is such a great thing to have while on vacation! Just be sure to bring your own detergent and dryer sheets - they are not provided in room. The king sized bed was very comfortable & all linens appeared to be spotless. The window in the bedroom that overlooks the inside corridor hallway, was quite strange in design, but is covered by a heavy curtain that closes to provide privacy. I actually just used one of those chip clip things to close it completely and block out all light. It was also very quiet at night - we only experienced one issue with some rude, drunk, neighbors who were pounding on the door next to us around 12:30am - but I think when you're at the beach you're bound to experience at least 1 or 2 low-class guests who have too much to drink and become a nuisance to others. We used valet parking during our entire stay and were so glad we did! The valets were all very nice & retrieved our vehicle quickly every time we called for them. As for the ocean/beach access - it was terrific! The pool/lazy river areas were also nice. My son and husband enjoyed them very much - I only used the lazy river 1 time because I'm not a huge fan of public pools,etc. There is also a nice poolside bar that serves drinks - which is convenient. Some other reviewers complained about the Starbucks located in the lobby, however I think it was pretty decent. If you're a realistic traveler and you're not expecting a full service Starbucks with all the bells and whistles of a free standing store, than you will be pleased with the offerings of this amenity. We didn't get a chance to play mini-golf or visit the waterpark that we received free admission to during our stay so I can't comment on either of those things.
Overall, we had a fantastic stay at the Anderson and I would highly recommend this property!

Room Tip: Oceanfront is worth every $$$!! Request a room on a high floor for the best view!!
3  Thank Kerrie C
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

The room was great and we had very good service. I wondered why they didn't really show any pool pictures on the website but it was obvious when I got there. The pool area was tiny and it was packed with kids. At least one pool ended up closed almost daily. I am a Hilton owner but would never have purchased if this was the property I viewed. There needs to be more adult friendly resorts.

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Luxurious one bedroom with full kitchen and washer and dryer. The kitchen had everything we needed. Someone thought through all the needs (except for salt and pepper). There was a washer and dryer which was very convenient. The only thing that was disappointing was the lack of restaurant options in the vicinity. We had a room on he 17th floor. If was quiet and perfect. My only complaint is the the hilton people selling the ownership via the concierge desk/welcome packet.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Beware HGVC owners -- this isn't a HGVC caliber property. First and foremost, HGVC only has about 200 rooms here. The rest are owned by individuals or are rented out. Nowhere on HGVC's website do they disclose this fact. Shame on you Hilton. Second, there is no restaurant on site. The "room service" comes from the all you can eat restaurant across the street -- no thank you. Third, the pools are small and overcrowded. The whole property, in fact, is small and overcrowded--narrow hallways, narrow valet parking, teeny tiny lobby. Speaking of valet, that's a joke. Twice during a five day stay they couldn't bring me the car because the circle driveway was clogged with other cars dropping off and picking up. Instead, they delivered my car on the street in front of the property and forced me to stop traffic to load my family. On top of that, you have to cross the traffic on the valet circle drive to get from the lobby to the pool--nice, eh? The "workout facility" isn't much of a facility; it's more like a converted guest room that might fit 8 people, but only if you were willing to share all the equipment. Elevators went on the fritz. All three room keys suddenly didn't work one day. They wanted to bring through a dog to do their annual bug inspection in the middle of my stay -- shouldn't that be done between guest stays, not during? Pool bartender discouraged me from opening a tab because she said she was about to change shifts, yet she was still there behind the bar almost two hours later.

As for the good? The beds are comfy and it's right on the beach.

Overall, this is not what I've come to expect as a HGVC owner. I feel misled. And I wont be back.

10  Thank Juan V
OceanaResorts, Marketing Coordinator at Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Anderson Ocean Club. Our property is a mixed-use facility, and we apologize for any confusion regarding this. We pride ourselves on our great service, and it seems that our valet service and pool bar fell short of your expectations. We have shared your concerns with our staff in an effort to improve the vacations of our future guests. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback with us.