We booked through Oceana/Wyndham but the property is partially owned by and wholly managed by Hilton so we were 2nd class citizens as all focus by staff is on potential Hilton Vacation Club buyers. Sales tours go on constantly. They pressured us in the lobby and called our room trying to get us to go to a Hilton sales pitch but we were not there for that reason. This was a family vacation. I was offended by the invasion of sales people into our vacation.
Computers were down right at check-in time (4pm) and they directed us to the concierge for a welcome gift but she turned out to just be a time share sales woman named Helen who did not take NO for an answer. Later they got back online and we were checked in. When we checked out I had to ask and then wait to get a receipt.
The beach is nice and the view from the balcony and living room is breathtaking. The kitchen was very nice and washer/dryer helpful. Could have used a coat of paint but otherwise the room was nice inside. The fitness room was very nice. We did not use the spa.
Noise was an issue from both the corridor outside the bedroom and from the pool deck. There was no visible security folks to take care of unruly guests. One night we endured someone playing a drum in their room for almost two hours.
There is NO food available onsite except from vending machines or the muffins at Starbucks in the lobby. The pool bar sells only alcohol and is cash only, no charging to the room. There is NO bar food menu even though they advertise one. The staff directs everyone to the restaurant across Ocean Boulevard named Magnolias. They gave us coupons at check-in so we went there the first night but had to leave without eating. Magnolias atmosphere is much like Shoney's. The building smelled like vinegar and food on the buffet was old and dried out at 6:30pm. We ended up eating at Greg Normans at Barefoot Landing and it was excellent. We drove to Restaurant Row or Broadway at the Beach for dinner every night.
One day they forgot to clean our room while we were out for the bulk of the day. Called for service at 4pm and they did send someone to tidy up. Funny thing is she had no toilet paper on her cart and instead of going to get some told us to call the front desk for it, so they had to send another person up with that. Other days the room was kept clean. They even ran the dishwasher for us.
Valet service struggles. They briefly lost our keys one day. Most frustrating is that they have no luggage carts for guests to use and insist they handle all baggage. I complained at the desk about this but was told I had to use the valet service. Call me a control freak but I would rather do it myself!
There is NO business center even though they advertise one. Wi-Fi service worked well.
Pools were crowded and noisy and the 'indoor' pools really are just under an overhang. There is one attendant at the pools with towels. A vendor comes and sells Italian ice during the day. There are no other food or drinks available and she only takes cash, no charging to the room.
They really need to put in a convenience store to sell soda, water, snacks, lotions, souvenirs, etc. They need a classy restaurant with room service. Hilton needs to either take over or move out and they need to lay off the sales pitches to people who are not there for that. Some security folks could help with the noisy pool and hallways and to control the partiers. Valet could be moved to the front of the hotel and a professional doorman employed. A few luggage carts for self-serve could be purchased.
Overall not a good value at $300-$400 per night.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We feature luxurious-, two- and three bedroom condominiums with room service and other amenities including a day spa, flat screen TVs, fitness center, indoor & outdoor pools, lazy river, Jacuzzi, oceanfront bar, wireless internet and valet parking. Our full service spa offers massages, facials, men’s spa services and more. Close to many nationally recognized golf courses, restaurants and area attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), getaroom.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Hotel Myrtle Beach
- Anderson Ocean Club And Spa, Oceana Resorts
- Anderson Ocean Hotel
- Anderson Ocean Myrtle Beach