“Very disappointing...”

Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts
Ranked #8 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We were trying out the HGVC. We were satisfied with the hotels in Las Vegas but was very disappointed with this one. The rooms and the building itself looked dated. Lobby looked like a motel lobby and the amenities seemed to belong to a 2-star hotel. Will never go back to this hotel again...

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Ampyboy

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We took our two kids (7 and 9) to the beach for a week and stayed in a 2-bedroom condo on the 19th floor towards the far right of the building (as you look at the beach). The room was incredibly spacious and we loved that the dining table could fit 6 people. We enjoy having breakfast and lunch in so the full kitchen was a huge asset. The downsides about the room are that there is no standard size table on the balcony (it would have been fun to have breakfast outside) and that you could hear some serious traffic noise from the strip on the other side of the building below. There were plenty of chairs and side tables though for cocktails out on the balcony. The kids spent a lot of time in the pool too. The lazy river is very small and extremely lazy. They loved the covered pool though and spent a lot of time playing there.

The location is fantastic! It was very convenient to be close to Broadway at the Beach where the kids loved going to MagiQuest. We also saw the Dolly Parton Pirates' Voyage. The food was awful there, but the entertainment was fun. We loved eating at Rios - a Brazilian steakhouse, but be prepared for a wait. We also like the pizza place across the street from the Sky Wheel. It is a total dive, but delicious. Mini golf at Captain Hook's golf was fantastic and the place right across the street was fun and challenging too - definitely better than we expected for being so close. We'll be back next year!

Room Tip: 1906 (?) the room to the far right on the corner as you face the ocean was nice because the room nex...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank VacationRules1
Reviewed 5 August 2014

. We have stayed at many Hilton resorts with our points including some RCI and this was in no comparison. We arrived on a late Saturday night about 8pm. We checked in and the staff was great and we went into our room.We were on the second floor, ocean front above the pool. This was our honeymoon and we were excited about relaxing and enjoying the beach. However the night was filled with screaming children from the pool that we were right above and the music from the pool was playing until 11pm. We called the front desk and asked to be moved to a different room but there were none available. So we turned up the TV and tried to ignore it. The next few days were alright, the lazy river that were described in the resort turned out to be a very small oval, and there were several other very small pools in the same areas. One morning we were awoken by a drum band playing by the pool for a 15-20 minute drum show. I can understand how this can be fun and entertaining but why so early in the morning. There were also a few people who knocked on our doors in the morning, guests that were visiting other guests but were at the wrong rooms.

We were just disappointed that we had chose this resort as a Hilton and for our honeymoon and we would probably never go back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rauxjm01
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I had a 2 BR, 2 BA ocean view room on the 8th floor recently. I was very pleasantly surprised by the room. We had a fabulous view, the room was a great size and the staff bent over backwards for us. Only "complaint"...the beach bar was not very nice. Granted, it had cold drinks, but with people walking off the beach and through the very little bar to the restroom, it was a bit grungy. Also didn't like the pools. They seemed rather small for the size hotel. These "complaints" are not truly complaints but more like an observation for others. Truly, our room was a delight. Our HGV staff was fabulous. They recommended lovely places to eat, and always had a smile for us. The hotel staff who took care of us was also lovelyl!!! Front desk was always ready to lend a hand, as well as housekeeping. I had to call housekeeping for some amenities and within minutes, they were at my door. Thanks for everything!

Room Tip: Ocean view was terrific! The balcony was across the master bedroom and living room, with enough chai...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I have been a Hilton hgvc owner for over ten years and was surprised at the quality of the hgvc rooms in this aging building....it seems as if Hilton was testing the waters in Myrtle Beach by acquiring a few floors of rooms in this complex to see if there was enough interest in committing to an actual hgvc property.....evidently there was as the new tower is being built as you read this.....my family is comprised of my wife, my two young sons and myself. Right away the room was noticeably " thrown together". While better than Anderson's rooms from what I've read, the Hilton rooms had shotty tiling in the bathroom, popcorn ceilings, and a WINDOW in the master bedroom that looked into the hall! The pools were a disappointment to say the least having stayed in many hgvc complexes in Vegas, Orlando, Colorado and Hawaii...very unclean, run down and dirty. My wife and I felt as if we made a huge mistake during our first walk around the property...but the little ones didn't notice much...however, the main reason for this review is not simply the lack of expected a amentities an hgvc silver owner expects, but the fact that my wife had two very important video conference calls that required an internet connection. I had made THREE CALLS TO THE DESK ABOUT THIS PROBLEM AND EVEN ASKED IF AN OFFICE COULD BE USED SINCE THE BUSINESS CENTER WAS CLOSED....I WAS ASSURED THAT SOMEONE WOULD BE UP TO FIX.....NO ONE EVER SHOWED AND MY WIFE LOOKED FOOLISH AS HER VIDEO CONFERENCE WAS A FIASCO. I would not recommend this property to any hgvc owners who are used to convenience, luxury and the usual hilton experience.

Stayed: August 2014
5  Thank WDFike
OceanaResorts, Marketing Coordinator at Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2015

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Anderson Ocean Club and Spa.
We apologize for the issues you experienced with the internet service. We do have free IT support and encourage any guests with internet connection issues to call for assistance. We also apologize that the cleanliness of the resort did not meet you expectations. We pride ourselves on our cleanliness, and have shared your concerns with our managers and staff in order to continue to strive to uphold our standards.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

As an owner of the Hilton Grand Vacation Club, I was caught of guard by the lack of safety amenities that Hilton had to offer for this property. First of all, the hotel itself was nice, the one bedroom was the perfect size for 2 people. The gym was well equipped and maintained and the concierge desk (Helene) was extremely helpful. However, the Hilton took a swan dive in other areas and some of those problems need to be addressed immediately.
1. Check-in Process- The one word that best describes the check-in process is chaotic. It is intense and stressful. When I drove into the makeshift unloading area, I felt like I was in a video game, where I am given points for getting a parking space and a cart to transport my luggage. In order to remain in the game, I had to avoid the family with kids crossing to go to the beach. Getting into the room was my ultimate goal and I reached my destination in 50 minutes.
2. Internet access - the coverage in the unit was sporadic, we found ourselves trying to gain access by maneuvering our devices around the room until we found limited coverage.
3. Business Center - MIA, they didn't have any business center, but they did have signs on the floor, that said they had one.
4. Pools and water features - My boyfriend is in the construction business that specializes in pools and he walked me to every pool and water feature and pointed out how the chemicals were unbalanced. If untreated, it could lead to a safety issue. According to him. the water features in the front were not treated at all.
5. Safety - The hotel has two side doors that have elevator access that lead to the rooms, the two side doors are open to anyone from the street, meaning it does not require a key card. Everyday, when we arrived to the room, there were ads inserted in our door from local businesses. One day, we went out to breakfast and a helicopter ride and came back to find that the Spa staff had been in our room and left a brochure with some cookies. The housekeeping staff had not been in our room, so how did the Spa staff gain access to our room. The same concern is also for the garage, it is easily accessible as well.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank carol a

Thank you for taking the time to review the Anderson Ocean Club and Spa. We are happy that you were pleased with some parts of our resort and are disappointed that other areas did not meet your expectations. We understand that the unloading area can be busy at peak times and we have been working hard to perfect processes that will make unloading as smooth as possible for all guests. We also have IT Support to help any of our guests who have issues connecting to the internet. With have shared your comments and concerns with our staff and managers who strive to keep our pools clean and our property secure, and hope that you may give us another chance to serve you during your next Myrtle Beach vacation.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We arrived to find no onsite parking. It is 2 streets away from the hotel, with floors 3 and up for self parking. The lower floors were virtually empty for valet parking. The baggage carts are for bellhop use only, something I don't mind in nicer hotels, but this was not that, and tipping is definitely expected. Get in line for service. To get to the limited pool area or the beach you must navigate through the constant traffic jam at the drop off zone with cars constantly in line waiting, valet at work, or self-parkers moving in and out of the 15 minute parking spots, all done in a one way, one lane drive through. The accommodations are definitely overpriced for what we got. If you like TV, you will be disappointed to find a small set in the living room area, and then an even smaller, what seemed to be a 21-23 inch in the bedrooms. The living room TV was fixed in place with no ability to turn. It took 3 calls to the front desk to finally get a channel guide. There is a safe in the main room, and after I keyed in my combination, I noticed a small sign, if used, there will be a charge to your room bill. The couch seemed to be broken or severely worn out, with a low spot in the middle of the couch that felt like I was sitting in a hole. If you sat on either side of the hole, you tilted towards the middle, sliding away from the end if you made any movement. There were no ceiling fans, but in the middle of each room there was a cover in the ceiling, where one could have been installed. Every time I wanted to use one of the two small hot tubs, they were always full, so I never did. The lazy river is teeny tiny. The pool area is way too small, and we never found a lounge chair available, as they are claimed early in the morning, so we never used that area. There is one double-shower pole and one foot foot washing station located next to a narrow deck walkway outside the pool area, leading to the the beach. At times the line would be all the way down onto the beach with people waiting to shower off and get back to their room. That was when I noticed another shower pole on the right side of the hotel, that looked to be a city shower station at the dead end side street, with an obscure entrance gate to the side pool area of the hotel. I never used the main shower area after that. On the hotels beach area there is a large, about 2 foot diameter City of Myrtle Beach metal drainpipe pointed at the ocean.There is a warning sign posted that reads, "CAUTON FOLLOWING RAINFALL THIS AREA MAY HAVE ELEVATED LEVELS OF BACTERIA DUE TO STORM WATER RUNOFF. SWIMMING IS NOT RECOMMENDED WITHIN 100 FEET IN EACH DIRECTION. WADING, FISHING, AND SHELL COLLECTING DO NOT PRESENT A RISK. FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL THE CITY OF MYRTLE BEACH OR THE SOUTH CAROLINA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL." At Lowtide there was a brown colored foam in the little holding pond, and at high tide the surf always mixed with this pond, taking whatever was in the pond into the ocean where people were swimming. At times, my wife and I noticed children playing in this area as if it was a kiddie pool. Yuk! There was a hotel towel and other trash in the bottom the pond the whole time we were there, that was never removed. I developed an earache the day after we left, went to the doctor, and he gave me some eardrops. If you like children, you will love this place. They were running around everywhere, as you constantly slalom around them wherever you need to go. If you want ice, there are 2 ice machines, located on floors 8 and 16 of the 20 some floors. Check out time is 11 AM. We called down and asked for an extra 30 minutes to check out. Fabian answered the phone, saying that's fine, and we will charge your room by the hour, as she laughed. If you want lots of children, remote parking, substandard room accommodations, congested patron areas, competition for guest amenities, and bacteria in your ear, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Ask about the televisions, ceiling fans, and furniture condition in your room. I'm not sure, but...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends