“Best hidden gem in Myrtle Beach!”

Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts
Ranked #8 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 19 September 2009

So according to the reviews before, I should be very careful about hidden charges, horrible customer service, non-existant maid service, dirty filthy carpet, and noisy neighbors.
Well I am happy to say, I did not experience any of those silly things!!!

I was in town with three friends for a State Dental Hygiene conference. I had booked the 2 bedroom suite with full kitchen on expedia at a great deal of buy one night, get the next free. So going in to the hotel, I was excited about what a great rate I had, but wasn't really expecting to be blown away by it all.
There was a lovely fountain in front when you opened the giant castle-like doors to the hotel. From the moment we entered, we were impressed with the gorgeous carpeting and elegant feeling you got from the paintings and marble throughout.

We were greeted by a pretty blonde haired girl named Lyndsay who was happy to answer any questions we had about Myrtle Beach and the area, she also was so friendly in helping direct us to our rooms (around the corner and up the elevators). She also gave us a bunch of coupons for Myrtle Beach restaurants and attractions

This was so different than what the previous reviewers had said. Maybe I just got lucky with the nice girl with the wonderful personality? I don't know, but she didn't disappoint.:)

A couple of things I noticed were the friendly bellhops eagerly waiting to help (don't forget to tip them, they work hard for their money). Our nice gentleman was very helpful in getting us up to our room, explaning that the pool was open till 11pm, and "the ocean was open 24 hours" he joked.

The rooms: wow, I don't know where to start!! We walked in and were just awestruck. It was a 2 bedroom suite with a full kitchen, flat screen tv's in every room, one room with 2 queen beds, one with a king bed, and both with connecting bathrooms. 2 balconies (one in the living room, one in the king size room) and a Washer and Dryer. There were also an Iron/ironing board, coffee maker. The beds and linens were to die for! The most comfortable beds i've ever slept in!
There was also free WIFI, no password just bring your laptop!
My only complaint about the rooms is the AC unit was loud in the king size bedroom. It almost sounded like the AC in a mobile home..kind of squeaky when it came on. However, it was nice and cold! The second night I had to sleep with ear plugs because I wasn't used to the sound.
My other complaint, and I didn't let it show in my overall review of this hotel, was the Parking Garage. It's cramped, small and spaces were barely big enough for an SUV. Just an quick note----the parking garage is NOT marked clearly or rightly. The hotel REALLY needs to fix this.
The floors are not clearly marked. For instance, if you go up 2 times, and when you get in the elevator it says 2. When you come to find your car, you realize that it's not there and you frantically try to find it, hoping they didn't tow you because you may have parked on the valet level. Well we finally figured it out after both of us spent 15 minutes every time we left and had to repark (which was about four times) in and out of the elevator searching different floors for our car----The parking garage should be marked like this ---

1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b, etc etc..for every 2 floors that equals ONE level. We met many people searching for their cars looking for their cars too..please Anderson Ocean club, FIX your garage, It was so confusing and annoying!!!!

Some recommendations for fun: Their lazy river (which was small but cute) and their hote tub was nice and toasty hot. Dont' forget you need to ask the front desk for beach towels for the pool. I think another reviewer didn't realize this.
There was a putt-putt golf across the street from the hotel we didn't try out but it looked fun. Check out Broadway on the Beach for shopping and many restaurants.

Try Villa Romana, the #2 recommended place to eat in Myrtle Beach for food. That was one amazing place, homemade authentic italian food!

I wish we could have spent more time in our hotel room, because it was shame to have such a nice hotel and hardly get any time to spend in it! We will definitely be back to this wonderful establishment.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
beachbumz6000, Oceana Representative at Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2009

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad that you were greeted with Lindsey and that she was happy to answer any of your questions and help direct you to your room. I am happy that you were awestruck by the room and that the beds were the most comfortable you have ever slept in. I will pass on your suggestions regarding the parking garage to the General Manager to look into. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon.

Autumm Fenstermacher

Write a ReviewReviews (3,092)

Reviewed 18 September 2009

My husband and I stayed in The Anderson Hotel & Spa and we loved it. We had a 2 bedroom ocean view room, the rooms were very nice and well decorated. The staff was great called us up everynight asked if everything was okay and to let them know if we needed anything. When we first got there the two bulbs were out in both bathrooms they sent someone up to replace the bulbs in less than 10 min. I'm really very particular about hotels couldn't stay if it wasn't clean or staff was rude. So we have to say we would stay again in a heartbeat probably would like to come back again with our Grandchildren also!!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am glad that you thought the rooms were very nice and well decorated and that the staff made sure to talk with you each night to see if there was anything that you needed. I hope that the next time you come back you will bring your grandchildren with you. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 17 September 2009

Today is the fourth day of my stay at Anderson Ocean Club. Let me begin with the good things. The hotel looks very nice. It is the most elegant-looking building within the half mile strech. The room is spacious and nicely decorated. The view is gorgeous (we have a ocean front suite).

However, there were some details that chipped away at our having a great stay at this hotel. For starters, the service is somewhat lacking, with housekeeping being the weakest link. You have to be prepared to continue your early rising pre-vacation schedule. Apparently room cleaning is handled within the morning hours at the staff's convenience. If you sleep in or get a late start, you can forget about the room cleaning until the next morning. Every day (and throughout the day) there were no towels to be found in the pool area. The service was at times non-existent or very slow: 1.we called to get some sheets after the housekeeping mistakenly took away a flat sheet from one of our bedrooms (supposedly they were on their way...yet, no delivery); 2.having to call twice for clean towels because house keeping did not clean our rooms for two days (Steve from the service crew is very nice. He delivered our towels which were supposed to be changed by the housekeeping staff.) ; 3. Our trash bin was full after two days of no cleaning. We called the front desk and was told to leave the trash bags in the hallway and someone would come to pick it up shortly. The trash bags were left in the hallway for a whole day until they were finally picked up. 4. The TV in the second bedroom has a mismatched remote control which does not work with the TV. To turn on/off the TV or change channels, you need to get off your bed and press the buttons on the side of the TV.

There has been absolutely no apology for all the inconveniences.

Also, despite the hotel being the nicest looking one in our area of Myrtle Beach, it was a royal pain to have to traverse two streets to get to the parking garage. No pedestrian walk is marked on the road. One has to be prepared to brave the traffic which is a bit of a hassle if you are elderly, physically disabled or, in our case, have a young infant.

The interior of the parking garage was very cramped. Very little space to drive and park a vehicle larger than a compact-size sedan. We had a mid-size SUV. Others had larger SUVs and trucks. I heard many complaints about this.

Breakfast is the best meal of the day for us when on vacation. Yet, Magnolia's breakfast buffet was not specatular. The service at the restaurant is top notch though.

Lastly, for those fitness buffs. My husband is always appreciative of a hotel that has a great fitness facility. Sadly, this hotel didn't deliver in this regard. A couple of treadmills, a couple of ellipticals, several recumbent bikes for aerobic equipment. The bikes and elliptical machines were in need of some repairs. Basically, the treadmills were the only real way to get an aerobic work out in. The strength training equipment: very scant. One Smith-press power rack with a bench, one millitary press bench and a few light-weight dumbells. Nothing to get a serious resistant workout. A few mats and one or two Swiss balls. The fitness facility was clean and comfortable, but this is less important to fitness fanatics that having great equipment. My husband yet again had to resort to getting a week's pass at a local gym.

1  Thank littleteahouse
beachbumz6000, Oceana Representative at Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2009

Thank you for writing a review. I am glad that you found the resort to be nice and that you had a gorgeous view from you room. I would like to apologize to you since the housekeeping staff didn’t do a good job of accommodating your needs. I will pass your comments to the Director of Housekeeping for her to look into. I hope that this won’t deter you from coming back and staying with us. We would love the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 17 September 2009

We just got home from vacationing at the Anderson Ocean Club. It was fabulous!!! I can't say enough wonderful things about the condo. It was spacious, lovely, comfortable, and in an AWESOME location. I especially like the fact that the put put golf course is across the street, as well as Magnolia's on 26th restaurant. I will definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased to read that your stay at the resort was fabulous and that the condo was spacious and comfortable. I am glad that you like the new miniature golf, Lost Mine, which is right across the street and the restaurant that is next door to that. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 17 September 2009

This is the second time writing this review, somehow the first one did not show up. I will try to be brief. First of all when I arrived at the hote to check-in my reservation was totally mixed up. I booked through another agent (do not advise that), and wasn'[t aware of it until the hotel told me. I thought I had called the hotel. Anyway, it took about an hour and a half and it was never straightened out. The front desk staff did nothing to help, just wanted the money due. Secondly, I called ahead to tell the hotel about my "pickness", for lack of a better word. I told them I hated to see spots on carpet and the front desk said they would upgrade me to "VIP" status and check the room out for me. As soon as I entered the room not only was there one spot but two or more spots right in the living room. They sent housekeeping up to clean them but they did not do a good job. May I suggest investing in a few steam cleaners to get up spots. They are fairly reasonable at wal-mart. I think it would be a good investment for the hotel, especially with the number of rooms you have. I have to say that parking across the street was also not appealing as well. My kids enjoyed being on the ocean and I must say the view was beautiful, but the s"spot" incident just sort of blew it for me!. I would probably recommend the hotel, but ther needs to be some improvements!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family

Thank you for writing a review. I would like to apologize to you since your didn’t enjoy your stay with us. I am sorry when you were checking in the staff didn’t have the right the right information for you. I would also like to apologize to you since the room you were staying in had some stains on the carpets. I hope that you will come back and give us another chance.

Reviewed 17 September 2009

The Anderson Ocean Club was great. Rooms were very large, clean and well maintained. The staff was very courteous and helpful. The location of this property is great, convenient to lots of restaurants, shopping and local attractions. As another reviewer pointed out, the pools are a little small but we found them perfect for relaxing and entertaining our 2yr old. Beach access was also nice. Parking is located in a garage across the street, but it's a very close walk and valet is available if desired. We've been to Myrtle Beach several times and for the price paid, this was by far the best hotel experinece we've had. We look forward to returning again soon.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write review. I am pleased to read that you found the resort to be great and that the rooms were clean and well maintained. I am glad that the staff was courteous and helpful. I hope that the next time you visit the Grand Strand you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 16 September 2009

We are currently staying at the Anderson Ocean Club & Spa. We checked in on Sunday and are leaving this coming Saturday. We love this place. First time in Myrtle Beach. Vacationing with another couple and everyone is raving about how nice this hotel is. The pools are small but you have the ocean right in front of you so that didn't matter to us. This time of year is perfect. Still almost 90 degrees but no crowds since it's off peak season. The staff is friendly and accommodating. Got a GREAT deal using hotels.com. We definitely want to come back.

1  Thank Joyful319
beachbumz6000, Oceana Representative at Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2009

Thank you for writing a review during your stay at the resort. I am glad that you and your friends are having a good time while staying with us. I am happy that you found the staff to be friendly and accommodating during your stay. I hope that the duration of your stay is as good as the beginning and I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon.