“Great Place to Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Kentucky
“Great Place to Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2009

Met and exceeded our expectations. Room was large and clean. Pillows are wonderful, would like them at my home ! When we arrived we were put on the second floor and had wanted a room on an upper floor. This staff got us a room on the 20th floor with no problems. All staff was friendly, even when we met them in the hall everyone spoke. Very nice place to stay. Some reviews stated that the parking garage was far away, it is about a block away and not a problem to get to. They had parking on site to load and unload luggage. The parking spaces are a little small but would not make be a decision in staying here. Already planning vacation for next year and we will return to Andersons. Thanks for a great stay.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
beachbumz6000, Oceana Representative at Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts, responded to this review, 24 September 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased to read that the resort met and exceeded your expectations. I am glad that the staff was able to get you moved to a higher floor and that they were all friendly. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again next year.

Autumm Fenstermacher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2009

This property and staff were kind and professional. My experience was outstanding and left me in awe. I have timeshares with Bluegreen, Southbeach and have stayed in Florida, Charleston and other properties. Your condos are large and roomy. They are designed well and creatively decorated. The beds were outstanding. The room I was in did not have a dvd player and for me this is no big deal, but I thought you might want to know. The three young who were working during my stay were excellent and made every effort to please not only me but the other guess. The one I remember is Steve Jarvis.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
beachbumz6000, Oceana Representative at Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts, responded to this review, 23 September 2009
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am pleased to read that your experience while staying with us was outstanding and left you in awe. I am glad that you liked the way the resort is decorated and that the beds are outstanding. I will pass on your kind words regarding Steve Jarvis to his boss so he can be recognize for a job well done. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon.

new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2009

My family and I were very happy with our stay (8/31-9/3). The staff was wonderful from the front desk, to the valet, to the housekeeping crew. All of our needs were met quickly and courteously.

The rooms (1 bedroom, living room, kitchen, and 1 bathroom) were all clean, spacious, and COMFORTABLE. My friend and I LOVED the pillows on the beds. Each night we had a good night's sleep. The kitchen was stocked with everything you may need except for food, paper towels, and a sponge. The in-room washer and dryer was also extremely helpful.

The lazy river was a little disappointing (not very big), but the kids had a BLAST in it and the other pools regardless. Our only complaint was the housekeeper for the 2nd night wasn't as thorough as the housekeeper for our 3rd night. But replacement dish soap and bathroom soap isn't crucial or a big deal. I honestly can't wait to go back.

ATTRACTIONS
I recommend that you visit Broadway by the Beach. The aquarium is there along with a host of other things - so you may want to make a day out of it.

Magnolia Plantation is a great day trip (we went on a rainy day.) The Slave Cabin and House tours were well worth the extra money and both tour guides were VERY knowledgable. (Our tour guide DJ Tucker was awesome!) We took 3 girls (9, 10, and 11) and they enjoyed the tours as well, even though it was educational.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad that you and your family were very happy with your stay and that all the staff was wonderful. I am happy that you enjoyed the room you were staying in and that the in room washer and dryer were helpful. I hope that you and you family will come back and stay with us again soon.

PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2009

This property is beautiful. Very well maintained and clean. We were here for a few days a month ago and liked it so well we came back for a week. We stayed in a one bedroom suite with a balcony that had an incredible view of both the ocean and the street. The bed was extremely comfortable. Nice kitchen and roomy bathroom. Very friendly staff who made our trip enjoyable. There is a nice miniature golf couse just across the street and a couple of restaurants within walking distance. There is free parking in a garage just a block away. It's a nice walk. We highly recommend this property.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
beachbumz6000, Oceana Representative at Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts, responded to this review, 22 September 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay so much the first time that you decided to come back and stay with us again a month later. I am glad that the staff was very friendly and that they made your trip enjoyable. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon.

The Woodlands, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2009

So according to the reviews before, I should be very careful about hidden charges, horrible customer service, non-existant maid service, dirty filthy carpet, and noisy neighbors.
Well I am happy to say, I did not experience any of those silly things!!!

I was in town with three friends for a State Dental Hygiene conference. I had booked the 2 bedroom suite with full kitchen on expedia at a great deal of buy one night, get the next free. So going in to the hotel, I was excited about what a great rate I had, but wasn't really expecting to be blown away by it all.
There was a lovely fountain in front when you opened the giant castle-like doors to the hotel. From the moment we entered, we were impressed with the gorgeous carpeting and elegant feeling you got from the paintings and marble throughout.

We were greeted by a pretty blonde haired girl named Lyndsay who was happy to answer any questions we had about Myrtle Beach and the area, she also was so friendly in helping direct us to our rooms (around the corner and up the elevators). She also gave us a bunch of coupons for Myrtle Beach restaurants and attractions

This was so different than what the previous reviewers had said. Maybe I just got lucky with the nice girl with the wonderful personality? I don't know, but she didn't disappoint.:)

A couple of things I noticed were the friendly bellhops eagerly waiting to help (don't forget to tip them, they work hard for their money). Our nice gentleman was very helpful in getting us up to our room, explaning that the pool was open till 11pm, and "the ocean was open 24 hours" he joked.

The rooms: wow, I don't know where to start!! We walked in and were just awestruck. It was a 2 bedroom suite with a full kitchen, flat screen tv's in every room, one room with 2 queen beds, one with a king bed, and both with connecting bathrooms. 2 balconies (one in the living room, one in the king size room) and a Washer and Dryer. There were also an Iron/ironing board, coffee maker. The beds and linens were to die for! The most comfortable beds i've ever slept in!
There was also free WIFI, no password just bring your laptop!
My only complaint about the rooms is the AC unit was loud in the king size bedroom. It almost sounded like the AC in a mobile home..kind of squeaky when it came on. However, it was nice and cold! The second night I had to sleep with ear plugs because I wasn't used to the sound.
My other complaint, and I didn't let it show in my overall review of this hotel, was the Parking Garage. It's cramped, small and spaces were barely big enough for an SUV. Just an quick note----the parking garage is NOT marked clearly or rightly. The hotel REALLY needs to fix this.
The floors are not clearly marked. For instance, if you go up 2 times, and when you get in the elevator it says 2. When you come to find your car, you realize that it's not there and you frantically try to find it, hoping they didn't tow you because you may have parked on the valet level. Well we finally figured it out after both of us spent 15 minutes every time we left and had to repark (which was about four times) in and out of the elevator searching different floors for our car----The parking garage should be marked like this ---

1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b, etc etc..for every 2 floors that equals ONE level. We met many people searching for their cars looking for their cars too..please Anderson Ocean club, FIX your garage, It was so confusing and annoying!!!!

Some recommendations for fun: Their lazy river (which was small but cute) and their hote tub was nice and toasty hot. Dont' forget you need to ask the front desk for beach towels for the pool. I think another reviewer didn't realize this.
There was a putt-putt golf across the street from the hotel we didn't try out but it looked fun. Check out Broadway on the Beach for shopping and many restaurants.

Try Villa Romana, the #2 recommended place to eat in Myrtle Beach for food. That was one amazing place, homemade authentic italian food!

I wish we could have spent more time in our hotel room, because it was shame to have such a nice hotel and hardly get any time to spend in it! We will definitely be back to this wonderful establishment.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad that you were greeted with Lindsey and that she was happy to answer any of your questions and help direct you to your room. I am happy that you were awestruck by the room and that the beds were the most comfortable you have ever slept in. I will pass on your suggestions regarding the parking garage to the General Manager to look into. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon.

Mooresville NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2009

My husband and I stayed in The Anderson Hotel & Spa and we loved it. We had a 2 bedroom ocean view room, the rooms were very nice and well decorated. The staff was great called us up everynight asked if everything was okay and to let them know if we needed anything. When we first got there the two bulbs were out in both bathrooms they sent someone up to replace the bulbs in less than 10 min. I'm really very particular about hotels couldn't stay if it wasn't clean or staff was rude. So we have to say we would stay again in a heartbeat probably would like to come back again with our Grandchildren also!!!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am glad that you thought the rooms were very nice and well decorated and that the staff made sure to talk with you each night to see if there was anything that you needed. I hope that the next time you come back you will bring your grandchildren with you. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2009

Today is the fourth day of my stay at Anderson Ocean Club. Let me begin with the good things. The hotel looks very nice. It is the most elegant-looking building within the half mile strech. The room is spacious and nicely decorated. The view is gorgeous (we have a ocean front suite).

However, there were some details that chipped away at our having a great stay at this hotel. For starters, the service is somewhat lacking, with housekeeping being the weakest link. You have to be prepared to continue your early rising pre-vacation schedule. Apparently room cleaning is handled within the morning hours at the staff's convenience. If you sleep in or get a late start, you can forget about the room cleaning until the next morning. Every day (and throughout the day) there were no towels to be found in the pool area. The service was at times non-existent or very slow: 1.we called to get some sheets after the housekeeping mistakenly took away a flat sheet from one of our bedrooms (supposedly they were on their way...yet, no delivery); 2.having to call twice for clean towels because house keeping did not clean our rooms for two days (Steve from the service crew is very nice. He delivered our towels which were supposed to be changed by the housekeeping staff.) ; 3. Our trash bin was full after two days of no cleaning. We called the front desk and was told to leave the trash bags in the hallway and someone would come to pick it up shortly. The trash bags were left in the hallway for a whole day until they were finally picked up. 4. The TV in the second bedroom has a mismatched remote control which does not work with the TV. To turn on/off the TV or change channels, you need to get off your bed and press the buttons on the side of the TV.

There has been absolutely no apology for all the inconveniences.

Also, despite the hotel being the nicest looking one in our area of Myrtle Beach, it was a royal pain to have to traverse two streets to get to the parking garage. No pedestrian walk is marked on the road. One has to be prepared to brave the traffic which is a bit of a hassle if you are elderly, physically disabled or, in our case, have a young infant.

The interior of the parking garage was very cramped. Very little space to drive and park a vehicle larger than a compact-size sedan. We had a mid-size SUV. Others had larger SUVs and trucks. I heard many complaints about this.

Breakfast is the best meal of the day for us when on vacation. Yet, Magnolia's breakfast buffet was not specatular. The service at the restaurant is top notch though.

Lastly, for those fitness buffs. My husband is always appreciative of a hotel that has a great fitness facility. Sadly, this hotel didn't deliver in this regard. A couple of treadmills, a couple of ellipticals, several recumbent bikes for aerobic equipment. The bikes and elliptical machines were in need of some repairs. Basically, the treadmills were the only real way to get an aerobic work out in. The strength training equipment: very scant. One Smith-press power rack with a bench, one millitary press bench and a few light-weight dumbells. Nothing to get a serious resistant workout. A few mats and one or two Swiss balls. The fitness facility was clean and comfortable, but this is less important to fitness fanatics that having great equipment. My husband yet again had to resort to getting a week's pass at a local gym.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank littleteahouse
beachbumz6000, Oceana Representative at Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts, responded to this review, 18 September 2009
Thank you for writing a review. I am glad that you found the resort to be nice and that you had a gorgeous view from you room. I would like to apologize to you since the housekeeping staff didn’t do a good job of accommodating your needs. I will pass your comments to the Director of Housekeeping for her to look into. I hope that this won’t deter you from coming back and staying with us. We would love the opportunity to serve you again.