“Not worth it.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Greenville, South Carolina
“Not worth it.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2010

First...this is the beach..and in this giant hotel there is non ice. None..only 2 25 lb ice makers for 18 floors. The firiges in the room make only 1 tray a day! The front desk was absolutely no help with this issue.I asked for Mr. Harter', the general managers # and they would not provide it. He was not on the property our entire 4 days. Unloading your car is a nightmare. People are allowed to park forever in the 15 minute unloading zone. The front desk was notified of 3 cars parked there for 2 days and did nothing. There are no paper towels provided and we had 1 pot. No frying pans or or sauce pans. Nothing usuable to cook with. It seems to cater to the 18-25 age group just for the $$ and care not about the long term. They are trying to sell the units. Why someone would want to go own any portion of that place is beyond me. Fro the price they need to bring in a hotel management company to make it work. The security guard is a joke.
We got the place through a Hot Wire surprise! Never again Hot Wire. For $300 a night I want ice and peace! Hot Wire may have charged more than the regular rate. I can't imagine some of the guest at the time of our stay paying that price...Probably a bunch of free time-share tour people. We are from Suuth Carolina and over my life, have been th Myrtle Beach over 100 times..There are only a handfull of places I would stay at twice. THIS IS ONE.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank tk9876
beachbumz6000, Oceana Representative at Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts, responded to this review, 13 August 2010
Thank you for writing a review. I am sorry that there wasn’t any ice in the ice machines while you were staying with us and that the kitchen wasn’t properly stocked. I hope that you will give us another chance so time in the future.

Autumm Fenstermacher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (649)
Newport News, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2010

The Anderson Ocean Club was just absolutely everything I was looking for. The room was beautiful and very clean. The staff was very courteous answering any question or need I may have had. My husband and I enjoyed every minute of our stay and look forward to returning.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am happy to read that you found everything at the resort to be absolutely everything that you were looking for. I am glad that you found the staff to be courteous and capable of answering your questions. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon.

Bryant, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2010

The room and view from our bedroom, kitchen and living area were breathtaking! The service was excellent and our every whim was catered to. Excellent amenities and great location. Simply the best on the beach!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
beachbumz6000, Oceaan Representative at Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts, responded to this review, 13 August 2010
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am happy to read that you found the view from your room to be breathtaking and that you liked the location of the resort. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon.

north of Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2010

Stayed with the wife over the 4th of July for 6 nights. We had an ocean view, queen room. Room was beautiful and set up nicely. Kitchen was equipped with everything you probably have at home, pincluding utensils, glasses, bowls, etc. Bathroom was adequate size with good water pressure. Flat screen television with a good channel selection is located in the bedroom. Stacked washer/dryer combo is a plus. Did some laundry before packing up to leave and tossed towels/bathing suits in as needed.

Bed was comfortable and near the balcony. Balcony was ocean view, not ocean front, but you could see enough of the beach from the view. The balcony was very small though-barely enough room for the wife and I with two chairs and a little table. Remove the table and it creates a little more leg room. No privacy on the balcony on the south side of the hotel. Not sure about the north side balconies since I didn't see those.

Exercise room is small but has 3 treadmills, a couple ellipticals (sp?) and a small area with free weights. Best to get there early in the a.m. if you want a workout, otherwise it tends to get a little crowded after 9 a.m. Or, opt for a late evening workout.

Free internet from the room and also in the business center. Only 3 computers in the business center and no printer, but I only used it once to check my work email. We did not use the spa, so I cannot comment on that.

Staff was friendly, from the front desk clerks to the service dept. Asked for extra coffee and promptly received it from the service dept. They are not cleaning professionals, but overall I was very satisfied with the job they did. We only received housekeeping every other day.

Beach access is simple. It's right out the door and through the pool area. We did not really use the pools since they were small and overchlorinated (but it needs to be that way to keep them free of extras). We did sit around the pool after a long day at the beach. There's plenty of shade there starting at around 5 p.m.

We flew there and did not rent a car, and taxi prices are ridiculous, so we walked. The area is NOT pedestrian-friendly whatsoever. Not too may places to eat locally, unless you walk the 14 blocks to the boardwalk at the south end. The walk is worth it though, since they have a great variety of restaurants down there, plus a little mini ampitheater for live music. Oh, a great ice cream joint a couple blocks south of the hotel and across the street.

Since it was our first time at Myrtle Beach, I would definitely go back and stay at this place. Price was good, location was decent, and service was excellent.

2 Thank Jimb0BigDude
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you wrote such a detailed review. I know that other people reading your review will appreciate all the thought that you put into it. I am glad that you and your wife found your room to be beautiful and set up nicely. I am happy that you found the staff to be friendly and able to accommodate your needs. I hope that you and your wife will come back and stay with us again soon.

Wake Forest, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2010

We've stayed at this hotel before and WERE pleased with the overall experience of the hotel and the location is great.
However, the last visit not so much! The sheets on the king bed looked like they had fresh blood stains! and one of the blankets in another room looked like some dried bodily fluid..not sure which end it came out of but it was NOT pretty.
There is no way housekeeping could not have noticed the soiled sheets so I am guessing they just pulled back the top sheet from the previous occupants and remade the bed to save time ???! I did call and speak to the manager who sent housekeeping and was suppose to credit $50...which NEVER showed up. Also I had to call the front desk as housekeeping was slow to come!

Disappointing at best and just down right disgusting! The sad thing is this is/was one of the better hotels in Myrtle Beach. I hope they get their act together!

Also I received a survey after my stay which I promptly completely and requested someone to contact me...yep..NOTHING!

Lastly, the carpeting was quiet soiled and could use a shampoo and the walls needs to be refreshed.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2010

Because I use expedia to reserve the room in this hotel I could not get the higher floor, even it was available. Another couple got same type of the room (studio) on the higher floor right after us. I asked the manager why.
Because certain rooms - the worst in the hotel - were available to customers using expedia services.
Another thing that really made me mad: expedia charge my credit card for about 400 dollars more than the price hotel charged expedia. How do I know? I got the receipt from reception with the amount and rates expedia paid them.
I understand when some fees can be charged. But there is note "no booking fees" on the expedia site, and if there is, it should not be about 50% on the top!
And the best when I called them with these questions expedia just blocked my account, so I cannot post any review!!!
Do not confuse "oceanview" with "oceanfront". There is no oceanfront studio in this hotel. The balcony facing the wall of another hotel, and the balcony is so tiny that two persons standing can not move on it! Only one person can sit there! If the table and another chair is removed. The bed is extremeny soft. I like soft but it was too much! I have had hard time to sleep. My husband actually hated the bed, he could not sleep even one night on it. He slept on the floor - not nice for vacation. Anything else - the kitchen, washroom, furniture - good quality and clean. Overall I would recommend this hotel but do not use expedia. And the last: you better buy some beach/picnic chairs in Walmart for about 10 bucks. The chairs to rent on the beach are old, dirty, 30 bucks a day and too far from water. I would not come back to Myrtle Beach in closest 10 years, so mane better places to go! But if you go I would recomment this hotel, but just be aware...

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for writing a review. I am sorry that you weren’t to get a room on a higher floor. When you book through a website, like Expedia, you get the same room you would have gotten if you booked through us directly. All the rooms are maintained the same way so that we don’t have any bad rooms to put anyone into. As for the chairs on the beach; we are the resort have no control over the price of the chair and umbrella rentals. The City of Myrtle Beach is in charge of that. I do hope that you will give us another chance sometime in the future.

on the road again
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2010

First off, check-in was fast and easy. The Bellmen were wonderful. It was nice, after a long trip, not to have to pack our bags to the room. The resort was close to everything. The ground along the pools were clean.No garbage laying around. We loved the No Smoking policy. Our family love this place so much that my husband called the front desk to see if we could spend another night.. the lady at the front desk took down our room number and told my husband that she would call us back....they wanted our business so bad that they didn't even call us back. I was up half the night mad, My husband told me to call them back to see what was going on, and i know things happen and ppl get busy, but if they didn't want our business that bad, then we didn't need to give our money to stay there another night.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for writing a review. I am glad that you liked the resort enough that you wanted to stay an extra day. I am sorry that the staff didn’t call you back in a timely manner about your staying an extra day. It is true that sometimes the front desk does get busy and forgets to return a call. I hope that this won’t deter you from coming back and staying with us.