“First time stay at Caravelle Resort”

The Caravelle Resort
Ranked #24 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I would like to tell anyone that is going to Myrtle Beach with a family that the Caravelle Resort is a nice place to stay. When searching for a place to take the family that had a seperate bedroom for us and a bed for the girls it was hard when all the prices were extremely high.. We will stay again at the Caravelle Resort.

Room Tip: We had ocean view and it was great only complaint is that the elevator was slow, so get a bottom flo...
1  Thank CherylP411
Write a ReviewReviews (2,575)

Reviewed 15 April 2012

We spent 20 years of family vacations here. The location makes it quieter than being right downtown. Very family oriented. We like the condos they manage next door to the hotel too.
The main hotel was recently renovated and the rooms are pleasant with on site kitchens in the rooms.
One year,we had a noisy party in the room next door and the management offered us another better room at the same price,helped us pack and move and sent up a fruit basket!
The managers go out of the way to make your stay enjoyable.
We liked the breakfast buffet in their restaurant too and they have both outdoor and indoor pools.

Room Tip: Get a room in the center upper floors of the main hotel but away from the indoor pool(unless you wan...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 April 2012

My daughters and I stayed at Caravelle for the first time on this spring break.
The room was nice. Our room was directly in from of the "oceanfront rooms" elevators and we didn't hear traffic nor doors opening and closing all night. There is much talk about slow elevators but we quickly learned that the elevators that serve the parking garage are slower than the ones we used....more often. We stayed on the 15th floor (amazing view of North to South Myrtle Beach....you can even see the Skywheel which saved us money because we didn't have to go on.
The pools were nice, towel service at the pool, very nice.
The rooms had nice dish and cookware for use to cook, which saved us $$$.
THE PRICE- was wonderful. I booked one of their spring break specials and I was very pleased with all the amenities for that price.
LOCATION- Wonderfully Convenient to everything. We drove a few miles to barefoot, broadway, and grand strand all in a matter of minutes. I didn't spend/use much gas at all. Food Lion, Walmart, and Kroger for groceries; and CVS one block away.
AMBIANCE- Family friendly. Very Family oriented.

Room Tip: The Ocean View Rooms are truly worth it.
1  Thank TaraJSmith
Reviewed 13 April 2012

My family of 4 spent spring break at the Caravelle (Apr.1-8) and it was our first visit here. We got a great deal (paid for 5, got 2 free). The first two days one set of elevators was broken and maint was working on it. Yes, we had to go without hot water for ONE day but that didn't ruin our vacation. Yes, they need more elevators, even when they all work. Wait times were a bit long since we were on the 12th floor but, again, that didn't ruin our vacation. Next time I would stay in a room on a lower floor. The parking garage is a tight fit but that is the way most of them are at the beach. The only REAL complaint I have is housekeeping was really lacking and inconsistent. If they did show up, they usually made the beds, emptied the trash and that was it. I only received coffee when I asked for it. Rarely was the floor vacuumed. I mentioned this on a survey and have already received an email stating it would be addressed. The fire alarm was also pulled on our 2nd night there but that was hardly the fault of the hotel. How can they be held responsible for what a customer does? That can happen anywhere.

The positive notes are these: ALL the staff were very polite and friendly. The room was extremely clean and had been remodeled recently. The pool area was cleaned every AM and was in good working order. We had an "ocean view" room and still had a great view of the ocean from our balcony. The pool area was crowded and filled with lively kids during most of our stay. Since The Saint John's Inn is part of the Caravelle, we used their pool and hot tub. Much quieter and only across the street. There are also several other pools and hot tubs to choose from. I love staying in the North end because it is quieter and traffic is less.

There were negative issues with our stay but nothing that would ruin our vacation. We made it to the beach and back safely and had an awesome time there. I would certainly stay again, especially if I can find another deal like I did this time. Overall, the Caravelle is an awesome resort.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

My family and I stayed at Caravelle Resort's Sea Mark Tower in their nonOceanview 3BR Condo and didn't know what to expect. However, the views were BEAUTIFUL! From our balcony, we had spectacular views of the landscape, city skyline and the breath-taking views of the ocean. The condo was very spacious, well-kept with comfortable beds. The Caravelle Resort amenities are endless with a restaurant, fitness room, spa, ice cream palor, game room, variety of pool layouts and many more that we enjoyed. I can't wait to book our next beach vacation with Caravelle Resort.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I booked an ocean view suite for spring break April 3-6 2012...The room was very nice and the staff was very friendly.I would definetly reccomend this resort to anyone...Price was also very reasonable for a room with 2 beds and a wall bed and full kitchen.Very nice few of the ocean from the balcony.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 April 2012

As a years long loyal guest to this resort, who has referred several co-workers, it is with great disappointment that I write this review. The first night we arrived to MB, it was late and we did not have a reservation. We walked in the Caravelle around 1am and were told by the front desk clerk, a female that she was running her audit and could not check us in until 3am. She also stated every hotel would be doing the same. We stopped and 5-10 nearby properties and not a one told us the same. After checking rates, we stopped at the hotel we ended up choosing. She was also doing an audit but checked us in as a pre auth and was FANTASTIC. She stated the girl at the Caravelle could likely do the same but she probably didn't want to be bothered. Now, why I chose to go back the next day is beyond me. I have always chosen the Caravelle because I like the location it is in. It is close to several of my favorite spots and is on the nicer, more quiet end. Anyway, we go back the next day and check in a room in the large, main building. Not long after check in, I go to shower. Although the shower function tab was not pulled up for the shower to be on, water comes out, full blast from both the shower and tub faucet. I try to figure out the problem and cannot. The water is actually painful with the force it was on. The tub fills up immediately as the drain cannot keep up so I was actually standing mid calf in dirty bath water. The same happens with the other member of my party. We call maitenance, who comes to inspect the issue. He leaves and shortly calls back to schedule someone to come tomorrow as it is an issue that cannot be easily fixed and the whole faucet will have to be replaced. Annoyed with this, I give them 10am regardless. 10am rolls around and passes and noone shows. I call the front desk, who calls mait. and not a one of them have a clue what I am talking about. A new mait. guy comes to inspect and informs us a plumber will have to be called in. I ask how long that is going to take, mention that this is a brief trip and this is really going to ruin our day. He cannot give me a time frame but states it shouldnt be terribly long. That means all of our belongings are in the room with a mait. employee and the plumber if we leave. If we don't, it means we are stuck in a room all day while we are supposed to be on vacation. Did I mention our sliding glass door would not open or close? It was off track. Did I mention that the safe in the room would not work? Probably an hour and a half later, the plumber shows and has to go through the closet to dismantle the wall and faucet area. There are buckets, tools, work bags and parts all throughout the bathroom and hall leading to the door and in the kitchen area. There is dirt all over the place. Absolutely fed up, I complain to the mait. guy that this is ruining our day. It is after 1pm and we are unable to take a shower, my guest is unable to take a nap as she wishes. We can't go anywhere because we need to shower. I ask why they can't move us to another room? Which management should have done, immediately, on their own as soon as this issue was recognized. He steps out and makes a call, then returns to tell us the hotel is 100% booked solid for the night. I am suprised since it is March and the hotel is so large, but it is a Thursday so I dunno. After a bit more time, I call the front desk to vent my frustration. The plumber has been working probably 2 hours and this point and is guestimating another hour. They claim they didn't even know this was going on. They put me on hold for 10 min to talk to the mgr. I hang up, call back and request the mgr call me back. I also don't want to spend my vaca on hold. 5 min later he calls back and claims that they can move us to all kinds of different empty rooms and he doesn't know where the mait. guy got that they were booked. The mait. guy was very nice and did leave and call someone. I really don't believe he was lying about it. I am upset because most of our day is ruined and we have a ton of stuff to move. He states they will bring someone up to help us move all of our stuff and bring the new room key. Mgmt should have done this as soon as mait. identified a serious problem. At this stage, I'm really not satisfied. We have spent two days with this faulty shower. He offers a 20% off my next stay. REALLY? Do you THINK we would return? Why not give us 20% off this stay and how it was ruined. Doesn't that make more sense? I don't expect the whole stay comped but I feel that is fair. No response to that statement. He sends up a guy to help and with the keys and 20% next stay card. We get to another floor where we are given a handicap access room with a stain on one of the bedsheets as my guest pulled the covers back to finally nap. We immediately call down, requesting that we don't want an access room and this one has something on the sheets. They want to send someone to change the bedding. No! That will hold up even more of the day and we don't want the handicap room. The closet hangers are waist hight and the facilities at a level not for us. She puts us on hold again. After another wait, I call back and request him to call. We waste even more time waiting for the return call. Get fed up once again and walk all the way down and across to the front desk. Guess what? Not a soul in there, they're not busy. Just busy putting us off. She goes to get the manager, who will not even come out and speak to me face to face after I came down there requesting him. The clerk returns with another room key and ignores my statements that the discount should not be for a return visit, because this is the visit THEY have ruined. A measly 20% to keep a loyal guest who has returned for years and referred two families in the past to this same resort, which I noted to them. Not her fault I suppose and since the manager, Darby wouldn't even face me..... TERRIBLE management and custome service response. I do NOT recommend this property any longer based soley on the fact of how they handled this situation. What if something serious happened? Don't you want a company and management who is interested and concerned about the guests and their stay? I like staying with places where I know if something goes wrong, they WANT to fix it. I have sent two emails since my return over a week ago and both have been 100% ignored. Next I will be filing a complaint with the BBB and likely a dispute with my CC. I don't want my stay comped, but I also do not believe I owe them the high rate for the mess they left us in. 20% on this stay seems fair. Next stay? You have GOT to be kidding me. DO NOT STAY HERE is my warning at this stage.

Room Tip: Stay at a different property, not affiliated with the Caravelle.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends