Message from TripAdvisor:

Ranked #33 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Mullica Hill, New Jersey, United States
“Just "Eh"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Firstly check in as at 3:00PM, do not expect to be checked in prior to that. We arrived around 12:30 PM and went inside to fill out our paper work (the registration building is across the street from the actual hotel) they said they would call us when our room was ready... by 3:00 PM still no call so we ended up going to guest registration and apparently our room was ready they just forgot to let us know. Upon entering the room for the first time I immediately noticed the bathroom was dirty. There was a used wash cloth in the bath tub, pee stains on the toilet seat, hairs in the shower, and what looked like dirty finger prints all around the shower...SO GROSS. The next thing I noticed was that our safe was broken so we couldn't use it, AND our AC unit turned on and off every 5 minutes our whole stay, which was annoying while trying to sleep. However I thought the room itself wasn't bad, we rented an oceanfront efficiency suite with double beds... the beds were comfy and I was pleasantly surprised to see there was a DVD player. The room was a little outdated but didn't bother me for the price we paid. We were on the 5th floor giving us a huge "private" balcony (the neighbors balcony's were right next to ours separated by a small gate). During our stay we did not visit the pools once, we spent all of our time on the beach because they pools were A LOT smaller than advertised, very crowded. Also there are not nearly enough elevators so we took the stairs almost every time (not air conditioned and smell like a toilet) Overall we had a great trip, the staff was friendly, it was quiet and the weather was beautiful, but I would not stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view of the ocean.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Heather L, Manager at The Caravelle Resort, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to leave a review in regards to your stay at The Caravelle. We apologize for the housekeeping and maintenance issues you experienced during your visit. I wish we would have done a better job of taking care of your concerns while you were here. Please know, your comments will be shared with our staff to ensure we make the necessary improvements. We hope you will give us another opportunity to provide you with an enjoyable vacation experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (617)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

The pool even on the main building is very small and narrow, appearing insanely crowded at all times. Placed between 2 buildings it does not get sun for much of the morning. I expected an oceanfront beach hotel to have a pool in the "front" between the hotel and the ocean. This is a hallway pool with no view of the beach. The one side of the pool that does see sun in the p.m. gets the joy of looking at the side of the hotel and everyone in their rooms.
I also found someone's tshirt between the bed and the headboard. And the shower sprays, not drips out or flows out, SPRAYS out of the faucet while the shower head is on.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay with us. We apologize for any housekeeping and maintenance issues you experienced. While we understand you did not like the location and layout of the pool at the Caravelle Resort, Caravelle Rental Management does offer accommodations at surrounding properties that do have beachfront pools. Please know, your comments are greatly appreciated as we look to make improvements to the property. We hope you will consider accommodations with us again on your next trip to Myrtle Beach.
Asheville, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We start with poor flow at check in and inadequate parking. We then move over to the parking deck and begin what I find later to be the normal 5 or so minute wait for a elevator. We make it up to the room and it is exactly as pictured. Fully updated and high end finishes only it doesn't really matter because the place is dirty. We pull down the wall bed and the sheet is severely crumply and there is a blood looking small stain. Maybe it was just a overlooked stain that didn't come out in the wash and maybe the sheets just been smashed up in the wall bed hole to long either way I'm not sleeping on it. I call the front desk, they are super friendly, apologize and send someone on there way. 3 hours and another call to the front desk someone finally arrives to remake the bed. There is toothpaste spit spray all over the mirror and although the actual sink and vanity are clean there is toothpaste spit running down the front of the cabinets. No hand soap (or any little toiletries) No dish cloth or towel and a half used bottle of dish soap. Our ocean front suite is on the 8th floor and when we look out our view is of the sun deck on the 7th floor that spans the whole hotel front. We can still see the ocean but not the shore. Total bummer and especially since I paid the same price as others who scored a much better view higher up or below the 7th floor. This is all day one, determined to have a fantastic vacation we push forward. I find that the amenities are nice but super crowded. And there are HUGE inconsistencies in housekeeping. One day we got three bath mats and not a single wash cloth. We were heading out the next day as housekeeping was headed into our room. The lady was supper friendly and mentioned that she would replace our now almost empty dish soap, when we return the same citrus soap bottle is there only now it's half full of a mystery pink soap. Did she put something else in there or is it a partially used bottle from someone else's room??? So extremely disappointed, I would expect this from some hole in the wall place but at $175 a night I EXPECT MORE! Did we have a good vacation? Yes! Did we take advantage of several amenities The Caravelle had to offer ? Yes! Will I ever for any reason go back? NO, NO, NO! Ps- I started this as a 2 star "poor" rating but as I put all my "highlights" together I'm going to (for the first time) dole out a single crappy, terrible star.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Jdehart
Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay at The Caravelle. While we never enjoy receiving comments such as yours, we know that your feedback is imperative for our continued success. We apologize for the housekeeping issues you experienced during your stay, and your comments will be shared to ensure the proper changes are made so that this does not occur again. I wish we would have done a better job of taking care of your concerns while you were here. I hope you will reconsider a future stay with us, as I am confident you will find our level of service to back to the excellent accommodations we are known for in Myrtle Beach.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I stepped out of my comfort zone to stay here. I will not stay here again. First of all our room was nice but very small for my large family it was their idea of a suite. Small double beds for my husband and I. The pools were cold except for the indoor pool on the seventh floor. The hot tub on the seventh floor had wayyy too much chlorine in it we couldnt stand it. The hot tub outdoor was cold as well as the kitty play area wayy too cold to let my small grandchild play in it. The worst thing of all are their ancient elevators they take atleast 15 to get one to open one thats not full of other people and when it does open its full because the whole hotel is waiting on one elevator also they only have one luggage cart for the entire hotel.!!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
We appreciate you letting us know about your recent stay at The Caravelle Resort. We strive to give all of our guests a fun-filled, enjoyable vacation experience, and we regret that we were unsuccessful in doing so. We understand that during peak occupancy, the wait for elevators can be longer than usual. We apologize for the added wait time and pool issues you had. We hope you will consider a future stay with us, as we will work hard to correct these issues.
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

This year marks our third visit to the Caravelle. This year we stayed on the third floor in a south facing ocean view efficiency as opposed to the 5th and 6th floor ocean view efficiency. We were almost as pleased as in the past except for two small items. This type of room on the 2nd floor and I surmise the third floor has a slightly different layout than the 5th and 6th floor. The bathroom is about 2/3 the size and it does not have the counter space the other rooms have. It is a little more inconvenient when there are 4 people in the room and you have to take your toiletries in and out because the lack of space. Because the balconies on the 2nd floor are wider by about 2 feet the room is about 2 feet narrower and so the sofa in the room does not fit on the side of the room where you can sit on it and watch TV. It is across the room where you cannot see the TV. The light that usually hangs above the table in the room is now above the sofa so when you stand up you hit your head on the light. But don't worry, after you do it several times you remember and then you don't do it anymore. Other than that, we are just as pleased as in past years and hope to return next year for another relaxing week at the Caravelle.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are great once you get to the 5th and 6th floor. You have a nice ocean view...
Green Features: The hotel doe not recycle which is not good. There should be a separate container or place where you can put your aluminum cans and bottles and also your newspapers. Recycling is mandatory where we come from and feel it should be mandatory all over.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay at The Caravelle. We appreciate you choosing accommodations with us each year, and we are delighted that your family had an enjoyable vacation. We apologize that you were not as satisfied with the layout of this particular unit as you were in years past. We are grateful for your comments and will keep your recommendations in mind as we strive to make improvements moving forward. We look forward to seeing you again next year!
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

I'll start with the good. The staff members in registration were very friendly and informative, but that's about it. The fact that registration is across the road from the rooms is a great inconvenience. Which I know is not uncommon in Myrtle Beach. There are several buildings to stay in and if your not in the main building, you may never see a staff member anywhere. That creates another issue of disruptive behavior in the satellite buildings. The rooms are average, but clean. The hallways are very plain and dirty. Overall not a lot to offer for the price.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Heather L, Manager at The Caravelle Resort, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for the feedback you have given in regards to your recent stay at The Caravelle. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your getaway. Your comments have been addressed with our staff, and we will work hard to make the necessary changes. Providing outstanding customer service is a priority, and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention.
Grove City, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here with my brother(17) and sister(23) Aug 10-16 in an oceanfront jacuzzi suite. I was a little worried when I booked because of all of the other mixed reviews. I am glad to say we were not disappointed! Everything was wonderful. From Jay at check in to Tim at check out. We had a great stay here. The only problems we had were our front door had to be slammed for it to shut and the wifi service is not that great. Also the elevators are very slow but we were on the 4th floor so we mainly took the stairs. But other than that, there were no problems whatsoever. There are always activities going on such as the luau night with hula dancers and a fish fry on fridays. There is also a lot of kids activities that we saw going on like karaoke and games on the beach. Overall we were very impressed with this hotel and would definetly return when we go to Myrtle Beach again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Amanda P
Heather L, Manager at The Caravelle Resort, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for choosing accommodations with The Caravelle Resort on your recent Myrtle Beach vacation! We are so glad your family enjoyed the Ocean Front Jacuzzi Suite and many on-site activities. We apologize for any maintenance issues you had with the entry door, and we will work to repair this right away. Your comments in regards to the elevators and wireless service is appreciated, as your feedback will help us as we make decisions for improvement moving forward. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the beach!