“The Good, The Bad and The Ugly”

The Caravelle Resort
Ranked #24 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 22 August 2009

We just got back from a beautiful week at Myrtle Beach. We are a family of 3 ( 5 year old daughter).

The Good:

The room was clean
The beach was beautiful
The main pool was nice

The Bad:

The elevators stayed broke - we were on the 14th floor
The parking deck - it was awful really tight - be careful
The service - could not get clean towels, maid service was poor
The kitchen - be warned there was no dishwasher in our room ( except for me). The kitchen stove was broken and not just in my room but in the family that we traveled with too.

The Ugly:

The Indoor Pool - it was dirty and seemed old. ( really dirty).

I would not stay here again unless it was really cheap. You can definately do better - but I tried to make the best of it and had a wonderful time with my family, but would just choose another hotel for my next visit.

Reviewed 18 August 2009

This is a very convient place. Just a short walk to beach, quite and free to use other facilities. It give a feeling of being at a mountain cabin, trees shaded and if there were neighbors we never saw them.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Our ocean front efficiency was clean, beautiful with a gorgeous view and huge balcony. The staff was kind, helpful and polite. Check it was JAMMED on sunday but it moved smoothly. Parking was surprisingly avail. The pools were clean & security staff kept the teenagers calm. Can't say ANYTHING bad about this place, were there 5 glorious nights!

Reviewed 15 August 2009

I never write reviews, but because of so many bad reviews I've decided to write one this time. We stayed 12 nights at the main building in an ocean view efficiency room (so I don't know how other buildings look like and I think the main reason for confusion is because some of them could be old and dirty which reflects badly on the entire resort). The room was recently renovated, it was very clean and nice for a beach hotel. It's got full kitchen and a beautiful balcony, living and dining area... everything you need and exactly as shown. Parking in the main building is tough to find if you come after 10pm, otherwise, we were always able to find space on the 6th floor where our room was. I can't describe how convenient is to park and walk 50 yards to the room on the same floor when you're with 2 small kids. Pools are nice, but busy, and some weird architecture made it a very windy place in the afternoons so we did not use it much. People at the hotel are nice. Hotel location is perfect, close to everything and yet far from the cheap, "red-neck" oriented south part . You feel like you're not in Myrtle Beach, believe me, we were at the south part 6-7 years ago and it was so busy and cheap with the "pickup-and-pitbull" tatooed people all over... At the Caravelle location you have several restaurants walking distance (or a few minutes by car), and the beach bar, wow, you get amazingly tasty and fresh burgers with a bag of chips for $5.5, beer is $3, you can't beat that.
There are minor things that were not perfect, but, hey, you're on vacation and it's only gonna be good if you want it to be good. We could've had a better room service, but who cares, we didn't need it, a few days we made the beds and what else do you need. They are sometimes busy, it's a huge resort and there are days when there is a lot of check-outs.
My only tips:
- stay in an ocean front rooms (ocean view is on the same side with the pool and it can be kind of distracting when you're spending time on the balcony)
- 5-6th floor are the best deals, sometimes it's hard to get an elevator and you can use the stairs; the garage is going up to the 6th floor - very convenient to walk to the room without using elevators.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank pegab22
Reviewed 14 August 2009

We stayed on the 11th floor of the main tower and were very surprised when we walked into the room. It was VERY nice! I was told when booking the room that it would be an ocean view...not ocean front, which was fine but upon entering the room and looking onto the balcony, there was the ocean...right in front of us! We did have a corner room which means you could only see straight onto the ocean from about 1/2 the balcony but it was perfect for the 2 of us. The elevators were a little slow and if you needed to go somwhere fast you might need to take the stairs but we were on vacation and all I had was time so it wasnt that big of an issue. This is the only hotel we have stayed in that our backs werent killing us in the mornings because of a horrible mattress...this one must have been a great mattress cause neither of us had any issues. The only other thing was the wireless internet would only work while on the balcony.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2009

It was our first time staying at the Caravelle. The service was great and the Jacuzzi room was extra cozy. The Caravelle has the amenities you are looking for. I really liked the different pools you can choose from, especially the pool on the 7th floor. Kids would fully enjoy the block long poolscape on the ground floor. The only unhappy experience was the internet connection, my youngest son (the video game addict) couldn't connect his Wii to it, but it wasn't the end of the world. A laptop works good on it. I have a small video of our stay located at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7FEOVe-JHU

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2009

I was very worried about my trip to the Caravelle due to the bad reviews I had read after making reservations. I read many and came prepared with extra towels and toilet paper since many people had complained of that. We were in the newly renovated part which seems to get the better reviews as well. I was aware to stay away from the Towers. We were put on the 15th floor which if we return, I know to ask for the first floor if available. The elevators were slow, you will wait at the very minimum 5 minutes each time. They are very hot too.Parking wasn't bad but checking in did take a while since they were so busy but they were very friendly. The room was very nice. It was what the pictures on the website depicted. I did find a few minor issues with some fixtures but nothing bad at all. The kitchen area is very small but was fine for our family.( 2 adults and 3 children).
The pools were nice, they were the reason I chose Caravelle. I wanted the kids to have a great time and it was acheived every day after their swims. There are many reclining chairs around the pool but since there were a lot of people, most were taken. I do wish that the staff made their presence more known. They could have come around and checked on the guests at the pool to just see how things were going. It seemed like once you checked in, you never saw the staff again but that's how most hotels are. The beach is in front of the hotel so that's a big plus.
Overall, I have to say that I was pleased especially after seeing all the other reviews. It seems to me that you have to make sure that you are staying in the renovated part of the the hotel but I advise to ask for a lower floor so you can take the stairs if needed.