Message from TripAdvisor:

“Great Place, Great Location, Great Price!”

The Caravelle Resort
Ranked #30 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
mahagonydime24
“Great Place, Great Location, Great Price!”
Reviewed 24 August 2009

I reserved my "Caravelle Resort - Oceanview Efficiency (Double) suite at least 2 months in advance. Afterwards, I kept reading a mixture of good and bad reviews, so I decided to stick with them. I'm glad I did!
Even though some of the reviews were correct:
-The Elevator IS slow
-The Wireless Internet only really worked while we were on the balcony (don't try and hook any video games to the internet, wont work)
-The door was hard to open at times
-Parking Deck filled up fairly quickly - had to park across the street (No big deal though, it's a great place to stay so alot of people visit, it's bound to be full)
However:
They had a lot more perks than faults. The rooms looked exactly like the pictures online. The toilet clogged on us 1 time, and maintenance reached us in less then 5 minutes - fixed it right up. They are very friendly and efficient when checking in and out.
If you have kids, they'll love the pool area.
Location is great, not to close and not to far from the main attractions. I hope this review helps someone, like othersreviews helped me!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mahagonydime24

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
  • Polish first
Springfield, OH
Reviewed 23 August 2009

I was VERY nervous coming into the resort because I had read so many poor reviews. I will just let you know what my opinon is of the services that I used. We are a family of 5...three children, 15, 7 and 5...all boys. We reserved the Oceanfront Jacuzzi Suite which has a full kitchen with a dishwasher, a living room with a double wall bed and a double sofa bed (which the children slept on and loved), then a separate room with a King bed and a jacuzzi. The balcony was accessible thru the living room and the bedroom, which was really nice because my husband and I could go out onto the balcony for quiet time at night and in the morning without waking the children. The room also has two full bathrooms.

The view was unbelievable.....nothing blocked our view on the 4th floor....all we saw from both windows was the ocean. It was breath-taking.

There were some minor problems but nothing to keep us from coming back.

Pros:
*the oceanfront view---a must if you can afford it (but if you reserve using some of the online specials that the Caravelle has, it makes it very affordable)
*our room was everything we thought it would be. It looked just like the pictures. It was very clean, the cooling system worked...we didn't have any smells
*the beach access was just thru the pool area and over the deck....very, very close!
*the main pools and water play areas were fun and the children loved them
*we had maid service everyday...she came in a vacuumed, cleaned a little, took our wet towels and gave us clean ones.
*great value
*nice location--you aren't close to all of the noise of the late night activites of Myrtle Beach, but you are just a 10 minute drive away from them

Cons:
*the hotel grounds could have been kept cleaner ( hallways, garages) were musty and sometimes dirty...some of it is a little understandable because wet guests were constantly walking about
*the garages were soooo tight! We have a standard SUV and the parking garages were so hard to get out of. I recommend parking in the garage across the street because of how tight the main garage is...it's horrible
*the chairs at the pool area are all taken by 10 am, so if you want a chair, take your towels down when it opens at 9 to reserve your seats or else you won't have one until the activity dies down around 3 pm
*the indoor pool is really old and run down and needs repainted

Like I said, I will stay again, just because our room was so wonderful...the area is great and the staff were nice.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Boone
Reviewed 23 August 2009

\One elevator was OUT OF ORDER. Saturday check-in took us almost 1 hour 30 min to get our luggage to the room. The fridge was not working, Called front desk, told someone to check on it.
Wayne checked out our fridge--reset it and told us he would see if another was available, but never checked back.We are paying you 4$$$TO STAY HERE.Please fix it!!

1 Thank bug2u
virginia
Reviewed 22 August 2009

We just got back from a beautiful week at Myrtle Beach. We are a family of 3 ( 5 year old daughter).

The Good:

The room was clean
The beach was beautiful
The main pool was nice

The Bad:

The elevators stayed broke - we were on the 14th floor
The parking deck - it was awful really tight - be careful
The service - could not get clean towels, maid service was poor
The kitchen - be warned there was no dishwasher in our room ( except for me). The kitchen stove was broken and not just in my room but in the family that we traveled with too.

The Ugly:

The Indoor Pool - it was dirty and seemed old. ( really dirty).

I would not stay here again unless it was really cheap. You can definately do better - but I tried to make the best of it and had a wonderful time with my family, but would just choose another hotel for my next visit.

Rocky Mount, VA
Reviewed 18 August 2009

This is a very convient place. Just a short walk to beach, quite and free to use other facilities. It give a feeling of being at a mountain cabin, trees shaded and if there were neighbors we never saw them.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Philly Pa
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Our ocean front efficiency was clean, beautiful with a gorgeous view and huge balcony. The staff was kind, helpful and polite. Check it was JAMMED on sunday but it moved smoothly. Parking was surprisingly avail. The pools were clean & security staff kept the teenagers calm. Can't say ANYTHING bad about this place, were there 5 glorious nights!

Toronto
Reviewed 15 August 2009

I never write reviews, but because of so many bad reviews I've decided to write one this time. We stayed 12 nights at the main building in an ocean view efficiency room (so I don't know how other buildings look like and I think the main reason for confusion is because some of them could be old and dirty which reflects badly on the entire resort). The room was recently renovated, it was very clean and nice for a beach hotel. It's got full kitchen and a beautiful balcony, living and dining area... everything you need and exactly as shown. Parking in the main building is tough to find if you come after 10pm, otherwise, we were always able to find space on the 6th floor where our room was. I can't describe how convenient is to park and walk 50 yards to the room on the same floor when you're with 2 small kids. Pools are nice, but busy, and some weird architecture made it a very windy place in the afternoons so we did not use it much. People at the hotel are nice. Hotel location is perfect, close to everything and yet far from the cheap, "red-neck" oriented south part . You feel like you're not in Myrtle Beach, believe me, we were at the south part 6-7 years ago and it was so busy and cheap with the "pickup-and-pitbull" tatooed people all over... At the Caravelle location you have several restaurants walking distance (or a few minutes by car), and the beach bar, wow, you get amazingly tasty and fresh burgers with a bag of chips for $5.5, beer is $3, you can't beat that.
There are minor things that were not perfect, but, hey, you're on vacation and it's only gonna be good if you want it to be good. We could've had a better room service, but who cares, we didn't need it, a few days we made the beds and what else do you need. They are sometimes busy, it's a huge resort and there are days when there is a lot of check-outs.
My only tips:
- stay in an ocean front rooms (ocean view is on the same side with the pool and it can be kind of distracting when you're spending time on the balcony)
- 5-6th floor are the best deals, sometimes it's hard to get an elevator and you can use the stairs; the garage is going up to the 6th floor - very convenient to walk to the room without using elevators.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family