Message from TripAdvisor:

GreenLeadersBronze level
Boiling Springs, South Carolina
“Revisited Ocean Creek”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We went for a 2 night stay in April. Stayed in the Lodge Villas again and were pleased.We brought relatives from OK and they loved it - couldn't believe the price!! We had a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo and it was the right amount of space for 6 people. One complaint this time is that the light was out over the mirror in the smaller bathroom. They came to fix it and then said they didn't have the part and would have to order it. It was very dark in that bathroom and I would hope that parts like this would be on hand so they wouldn't have to be ordered. I love the Lodge Villas for the price. The two times we have stayed, they have been clean and quiet. The outside of the building looks aged and needs some updating. I wish the golf cart train had been running in April but the walk is not too long. We would definitely return. We like having the indoor pool and hot tub in the same building as our condo. My only other wish is that we could share the pools at the Towers like some other resorts do - it does not matter what building you stay in, you have access to all the amenities of the property. I wish Ocean Creek would do this as well. I feel like a 2nd class citizen when we are banned from using the pools and hot tubs in the Towers. Also, I wish you all would put in a Lazy River- that would be awesome!!! We were told the ocean front pool would be open and it was closed the entire time we were there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Oceancreek73, General Manager at Ocean Creek Resort, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us about your April vacation with your family from OK. We are so excited to hear you all had a great stay. The tram actually started running in April but it may have been after your stay. I think we are talking about having it open the full month next year. We hope you and your family return again soon and please know that we appreciate you very much.

Sabrina D. Hilliard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I would NOT recommend Ocean Creek Resort. We had numerous issues with our condo from an unkept room, broken door knobs, mold on every air vent, railings not secured on the balcony, dirty undergarments found under the beds and bugs. I've tried over 3 different times to get management to call "ME" back but they, instead, called another member of the group staying with us and told them they "could not do anything". Any fine establishment, who requires the amount of money they do for a week long stay, would & should accommodate anyone who had the kind of treatment we had (we had pictures to prove it and sent it in with the complaint). I will also be complaining to the Better Business Bureau.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Unhappy0910
I am extremely disappointed that this was your experience and I was not aware to reach you other wise I would have. Please email me or call me when it is convenient for you so that I can speak with you. My email address is gm@oceancreek.com and my direct telephone number is 843-361-6010.

Greenville, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed for 4 days, and had a good time at the beach and the outdoor pool by the ocean. There's a great little beach bar by the pool, pools are clean and well kept. It looked like the towers are the nicer places to stay on the property. We were back in the lodges in a one room condo and while it was clean, the decorations and things in the room were outdated. Also, the room doors are outside, so there is not an interior corridor while your walking to your room (which could be far from the elevator since they are only on the edge of each lodge building). The humidity was horrible and there were water bugs everywhere, so walking outside to the third floor and not being close to an elevator was a pain in the butt getting in and out of the room.
There were golf cart "trams" to give you a ride to and from the beach from outside of each lodge building. They usually came every 15 minutes or so. The property is advertised as beachfront, however, if you stay in one of the lodges it is about a 5-10 minutes walk to the beach and you definitely can not hear or see the beach (the towers block it off completely).

It seemed as though there were lots of activities to do at the property, though we only visited the beach and outside act ivies off property. They did have activities at the pool daily for kids over the week...that was nice. The front staff was nice when checking in, but that's all we heard from them afterwards and did not see much staff other than around the pool and flying by on golf carts. They seemed rushed during check in, but still friendly.

The breakfast buffet on site was great, lots of normal breakfast foods available. Not great quality of sausage links (I'd stay away from those) but it was about average price for Myrtle Beach Breakfast buffet. I'd have to recommend Mama's Breakfast Buffet though towards south Myrtle to visit though. They are THE Best. We've gone there yearly on mother's day for a few years and they seem to have the best assortment of items available.

We booked through Hotel Tonight, so got a phenomenal deal on this room for three nights. For the money we paid, it was great.

PS-The "creek" is alot of rainwater run-off from the City and NOT good to let your kids swim in.

Room Tip: Stay in the towers if you want actual "Beachfront".
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank steenah007
Thank you so much for taking your time to share with us about your experiences. Although I am glad that the staff was friendly and that your room was clean, I was hoping to ask if you would email me gm@oceancreek.com so that I can find out specifically which unit you were in so that we can work with the owner about upgrading their unit. We look forward to hearing from you soon and we hope you and your family will consider staying with us again in the future.

Connecticut
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The best: the oceanside bar. Josh and his staff were excellent. Friendly, quick and great at knowing how to help vacationers unwind. Despite myself - I was lured there daily for an fairly priced afternoon margarita. The clay tennis courts and their availability was a great activity that I took advantage of 3 times in my week there. Good: indoor / ourdoor pools, beach access, and the actual 'ocean creek', I tidal river that was great for my young children to play in, as a compliment to the surf just feet away. The view from our balcony - really good. Adequate: the 3 bedroom condo was spacious enough for our party of 9, though some updating could be in order. The furniture wasn't especially comfortable - but sitting in the chairs wasn't a hardship by any stretch. Acess to north myrtle attractions like barefoot landing is easy - so that has to go in the plus column as well. Lacking: the place closes down at 9. After putting the kids to sleep my wife and I couldn't go grab a beer, or even an appetizer. I guess we could have easily left the property - but as a family vacation, we wanted to be close by. All in all - I'd go back. Without question.

• Stayed August 2014
Oceancreek73, General Manager at Ocean Creek Resort, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share with everyone about your vacation with your family. We are so glad that you enjoyed the property, the beach and your room so much. We appreciate hearing great things about our staff and I look forward to sharing your kind words with Josh and the staff at the beach club. We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We've stayed at Ocean Creek 3 years in a row with our 2 kids (4 and 3 years old) during July 4th. It is perfect for families with small kids. The 2 bedroom Lodges have a lot of space and parents can stay up after bedtime and not disturb the kids. The creek is perfect for little ones that are learning to swim. The service has always been excellent and the front desk is very helpful. With Barefoot Landing right across the street it is easy to go out for a meal or for shopping and avoid traffic. We will continue going each summer. It is a great value for a family vacation.

Room Tip: We like Lodge 3. It has always been quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your kind words about your stay. We are so excited that you and your family had a fantastic vacation and we hope that your family plans your next vacation with us soon.

Shallotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 18 August 2014

i left a detailed list of problems with our unit ..... The resort was great but our unit had a dryer that wouldn't turn off and didn't dry,the pocket doors to Bedroom #2 wouldn't meet not on a track.and came out of the wall not good for privacy. Dishwasher was corroded (lime) .Balcony door Living room had no handle outside so you had to leave the door open to get back inside.Balcony door bedroom #2 wouldn't open from out side. Lamps needed bulbs. Bathroom #2 needs repairs. Tub in Master wouldn't drain while you showered.
You should have a book in each unit telling guest what and where things are like other resorts. The small print hand out wasn't helpful. We called for extra towels the day we got there and never got them or a call back.North Tower 8th floor unit 8F....Please take care of repairs.

Room Tip: See review Nice Resort
Green Features: See review If unit is updated Yes Beautiful view Long wait on elevators. But I would return.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Oceancreek73, General Manager at Ocean Creek Resort, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you so much for sharing with me the issues you experienced during your stay. I assure you that we are looking into resolving all of these issues and I am so sorry that things were not taken care of prior or during your stay. I hope that overall you and your family were able to enjoy the property and the beach. We appreciate the feedback as it will help us to correct and prevent these issues from occurring again in the future. I hope you may reconsider and stay with us again in the future. If you decide to stay with us again, I would be happy to book your reservations with you personally. My email address is gm@oceancreek.com and my telephone number is 843-361-6010.

Point Pleasant, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I had planned my softball teams August stay in the Lodge Villas here January of this year. I had many options but after researching on the internet and speaking with the Direct Sales dept I decided that the Ocean Creek was the perfect location for us. I worked directly with Sales to book the 11 rooms needed for 47 people. Constant emails, monies and room lists went back and forth for 6 months, including the assurance that we would all be close together, that the Villas were "beautiful and well maintained" and that she would book us a team dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe Restaurant.

2 weeks before our arrival I was informed that the woman I was dealing with since Jan had left the company. My rooms were still booked but my team dinner was not possible. I was upset with this but the gentleman that took over was great at explaining that a dinner at the Hard Rock was never possible (even though I have emails from the former assuring me it was), that the rooms were booked and he would do whatever he could to get us as close together as possible. In a nutshell he did everything to give me the confidence I needed to still host my team at OCR.

One of the team families checked in a day early and immediately called me to say that their room was not well maintained and showed extreme wear. I told her to call the front desk and get the room changed. When I checked in the next day I was pleased to find an updated, nicely decorated – although cheap furniture and a threadbare carpet - condominium with updated amenities. I was also told by Sales that we did not need to bring anything and that like any other hotel, all ammenities would be supplied. There were no paper towels, no dishwashing liquid, no bowls, no coffee filters, no soap and no shampoo/conditioner. All of that had to be purchased.

The beginning of my nightmare started when other team members started checking in and finding dirty rooms, ant infestations in beds, broken appliances, leaking ceilings, worn carpets, cockroaches and outdated decor. Some people changed rooms, some did not. We were also told there were washers and dryers in every building. Some of the team members never found them. All were very frustrated. I was extremely embarrassed. They knew since January that we were coming. I would have expected that all units would have been inspected, cleaned and remediated before we checked in. Was that asking too much? I guess it was.

Our second day there I came back from the beach to find housekeeping had come but did not clean anything. Garbage was taken out and towels replaced but floors were not washed, carpet not vacuumed, tables, counters not cleaned, bathrooms not cleaned, no toilet paper, alarm clock not working, furnace filter was so dirty nothing could get through it and the best part, after purchasing $200 worth of food the refrigerator was not working. I called maintenance, housekeeping and the front desk - all were very nice and accommodating – and they assured me everything would be taken care of. Furnace filter was changed, alarm clock replaced, rug vacuumed, Fridge defrosted. I went to take a shower and thought I was going to fall through the tub floor. The entire thing rocks! Thank God I was on the first floor.

Day three I wake up to two cockroaches (or in the south they are called Palmettos) crawling on my floor. Ok I get I’m in South Carolina but do they need to be in my room? There are procedures for that and lots of other hotels keep up with that. I would find a bunch of them outside my front door at night. I guess fumigation is out of the question.

My unit was NEVER cleaned the entire 7 days we were there except for the one day I bribed the gentleman with $10 to help me really clean. Towels were changed, garbage emptied but bed linens never changed, rug vacuumed once, floors never washed. Housekeeping isn’t even given the proper tools to clean a unit. No mop for my tile floor. He had a spray bottle filled with whatever and that is what he used with a towel. Really???

The room was always damp. Even the cereal boxes became weepy due to the overwhelming dampness in the room. Again – I used to live in South Florida. This can be avoided with the proper tools. One of my families watched the rain come down through the roof of their screened in porch! When maintenance came to their room to see why the unit below them had water leaking into the living room his response was “Wow – I need to fix that”.

Every day I would hear complaints from my team families. Every day I apologized. I am certain they all thought I got the “nicest” room because I ran the accommodations. The sad part is the nicest room was below par of any hotel I have ever stayed in. The day we checked out I treated 12 of us to the breakfast buffet at the 4 seasons in an attempt to apologize. As I sat there eating, I watched a giant Cockroach crawl up the inside window in front of me. Needless to say my appetite was negated and breakfast was over.

I don’t know how they get away with this. I reported them to the better business bureau for false advertising and am demanding a full refund for my entire team. I am an executive who travels around the world for a living. I have stayed in third world countries with better accommodations than what they gave us. We spent over $13,000 for this disaster and I will be sure to let everyone in the softball world know never to stay at this location. Considering Myrtle Beach hosts the Nationals every year that is a serious chunk of business that OCR will not be getting. There is no excuse for this and they should be ashamed to advertise the way they do.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank cyn10559
We are so sorry that this was your experience with your group. It is never our intention to disappoint anyone and please know that your comments are taken seriously so that we can learn from our mistakes and improve in the future. We really did not know about the issues with promises of dinner at Hard Rock as I believe we explained to you prior to your arrival. It seems that throughout the issues you found the staff to be helpful and accommodating. There is preventative pest control which is handled by a professional pest company however we will share your trip advisor review with them as they handle outside and inside. Mother nature though is a battle along the coast and being a tree lined property doesn't make the job any easier but I assure you we want the issues eliminated as well. The housekeeping issues you mentioned are most concerning to me and we will continue but we have addressed this with the staff. I understand your disappointment and I guess we honestly didn't realize that the entire team had this experience as many told different staff members how much they enjoyed their stay. I would be happy to speak further with you about this if you would call me whenever it is convenient for you my direct telephone number is 843-361-6010.