Message from TripAdvisor:

Ranked #29 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Memorial Day Stay 2014”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I would not stay at this hotel ever again. Housekeeping knocked on our door the first day and asked if we needed anything. I said towels and trash bags, she literally handed me a bunch of towels and trash bags. She did not come in to empty the trash or pick up the dirty towels. We had to call the front desk for them to service our room. I also had a MK clutch purse that mysteriously disappeared. When I was checking out, I let the front desk person know (she was very apologetic, took my information and said she would have the GM give me a call). Several hours passed and no call from the GM. I ended up calling the GM and she said that I was supposed to call her????? She was not apologetic at all and even tried to blame me for not locking my purse in the in-room safe! Why would I need to lock my purse in the safe? How about you don't hire a staff that steals. This was a horrible, horrible experience. I have been to Myrtle Beach on Memorial Day weekend several times and have never ever had service so horrible.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MzSmiles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

This was our first time staying at Beach Colony, though we have been to Myrtle several times. We stayed in a 2 bedroom ocean view room. We had 4 adults and 2 kids (3 and 12). It was plenty big enough for all of us. View was decent from the side even with a low floor.

Condo: I was expecting the condo to look like the pictures on the site, it did not. It was outdated but still functional. My issues in the room was it wasn't quite clean enough for me. Or where I felt comfortable putting my son in the bath tub. So with a little cleaning I felt better. During my bed bug check upon arrival, it all passed, however I did notice quite a bit of ashes on the box spring in the master though we had a non smoking room. It didn't smell like smoke so we were okay staying in it. Kitchen had limited pots/pans but we made it work. The master bath was challenging. The toilet was not functioning very well so we used the hallway bathroom often. My one downfall of the shower was the lacking hot water. It seemed like no matter what time of day you showered, it would go hot to cold to hot the entire time. The parking garage could be improved. It was difficult to navigate and many times someone was flying through the garage when only one car/van can fit on the ramps up and down. Overall, it wasn't a bad place to stay!

Area: The best part of where this resort is located is it is quiet. That was a huge factor for us in deciding where to stay this year. We really wanted somewhere our 3 yr old could stick to a nice nap schedule and sleep without interruption. The drawback to this location is it is not close enough to walk to several restauarants or stores. You will need to drive, which
was not an issue for us.

Pools/Beach: The pools were great! Heated, which was very nice!! The lazy river was also really nice. Beach was easy and quick to get to and it was a nice part of the beach.

The bad: This is not a complete reflection of Beach Colony, however we did feel like more security or awareness was needed. Our last night was the start of Atlantic Beach Bikefest. While the resort is "bike-free" it is not biker-free. MOST of the people we encountered were great, polite, and friendly. However, when the sun started to go down the party began. I am all about having fun but the music, drunk people shouting, marijuana that was clearly being smoked out in the open was too much for us. At one point we had to keep the kids inside in the evening due to men/women showing their private parts to everyone around. Being young and fun is GREAT, but it just wasn't an environment I wanted the kids around. The bikes/cars were really nice and fun to see riding around in the day though. Lesson for us, don't go in May.

Overall it was a nice stay and we would stay again if the value was right.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank DnK1234
Nicole H, Guest Service Supervisor at Beach Colony Resort, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear DnK1234,

Thank you for sharing your very helpful and detailed review with Beach Colony and our prospective guests. While Memorial Day weekend can be a bit of boisterous time during May, I wouldn't rule out the whole month. I am happy to hear that other than the last few nights of your stay we could offer you the more normal relaxing environment that we strive to provide. I am disappointed that you had some maintenance issues in your unit and during your next stay encourage you to report them so that we can correct them to the best of our ability and give you a more enjoyable experience. We hope you have a fabulous summer and look forward to seeing you again.

Morrow, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We had more than enough room and supplies to enjoy our weekend stay. The kitchen and bathrooms were stocked. Very clean and great staff. Love the free movie rentals too great parking. The property was really clean and when we need more towels, they restocked us without any problem

Dear Shonquanisia D,

I am so happy to hear that we were able to provide you with everything you needed to have a great holiday weekend. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and we hope you have an outstanding summer.

Roxboro
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

This place is showing some wear and tear, I guess from age, needs some updating and sprucing up; however, the pool area and other amenities were really nice. The parking garage is absolutely horrible! Very tight parking spaces! If you are trying to go up to the next level, and you meet another car, one of you has to back up, there is not enough room for 2 vehicles.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views due to the sand dunes blocking view on lower floors.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank A_A_BRoxboro
Dear A_A_BRoxboro,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. Our many amenities such as pools and the lazy river can be a fantastic way to relax throughout your vacation. I do apologize that our parking situation can be a bit tricky but I encourage you to come back and visit next year to see how we have taken care of some that wear and tear that you mentioned.

Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed @ unit 1401 and it was perfect for us. Lots of space, very comfortable, well decorated, kitchen was very well equipt and the view was unbelivable.
We are very satisfied and will ask for the same unit again nexy year

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Albcan,

While we can't guarantee the exact same room, we can guarantee the same great experience. Feel free to make a request of course and we will do our very best to honor it. Our two bedroom oceanfront units are all offer the same great space and beautiful views, no matter which unit you may choose. Thank you for sharing with us and we look forward to hosting you and yours again soon.

Gallipolis, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

This facility is older, but my unit was very up to date & modern. I could tell that the owners had taken care of this unit. I enjoyed the view from my balcony every morning. If the drive to Myrtle Beach wasn't so long I would go back again. I might fly the next time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Blueskier1948,

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on your most recent stay with Beach Colony. While we may be an older property in spirit, we like to think of ourselves as young and modern as much as possible and encourage all of owners to feel the same way. Sometimes the drive can be a bit tricky, but it doesn't matter how you get here we can't wait to have you back.

Henderson, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Our friends have stayed here for several years, so when they booked another golf week and invited us, we did the same, based on their recommendations. It was well worth it! We had an oceanfront executive suite that was well-suited for out needs. We also rented a 2 bedroom unit for our daughter's family. It was really nice being in the same resort as all the families could gather together quite easily for any activity. As each unit is privately owned, you never know what is going to be included in your cabinets, but we managed just fine. However, we did NOT do any cooking in the units.

Our grandson loved the Lazy River and the warm pools. The air was still chilly while we were there so the heated waters made it possible for him to enjoy the swimming. Otherwise, we were on the beach - - it was gorgeous weather the whole time we were there! The grounds were beautiful and all the shade provided by the trees was much appreciated after a few hours in the sun.

We ate at the lounge, which was just average, but the friendliness of the staff made up for it. We did not use any other amenity at the resort other than the Wi-Fi. Our cell phone service was very sketchy - - I even had trouble using my phone to call a local number....got disconnected several times. I ended up using the hotel room's phone.

The location of the resort was perfect - - easy access to just about anywhere. As a previous reviewer wrote, the parking garage was pretty rough maneuvering and there were a few traffic jams during the week. But it was nice having a covered parking area out of the sun.

I only wish the beach chairs could be included in the resort's fees. I understand that the beach is owned and operated by the city of Myrtle Beach, but $35 a day for two chairs and an umbrella is a bit outrageous! Maybe the resort could have a discount for their guests??

All-in-all, it was a wonderful week, and we would consider coming back next year for the group's annual golf trip.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are very spacious and bright.
Dear MargiC17,

Thank you so much for sharing your great vacation experience with your family. I am so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy our fantastic staff and the uniqueness of each individually owned room. It's a great idea about the beach chair deal for our guests and I will definitely be looking into how to make that happen. While we do try to provide everything you need for your vacation right here at the resort, the beach chairs seem to be the one thing that we lack. Again, thank you for your continued support and we look forward to hosting you and yours in the future.

Best Wishes,