Message from TripAdvisor:

Ranked #46 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
North Carolina
“I wish it was better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

15 years ago, I stayed at Forest Dunes every summer and I loved it. These past years I've been going to a different more secluded area than Myrtle Beach since I have a young child. This year my family decided to stay in Myrtle Beach, so of course I wanted to stay at Forest Dunes where I had created a ton of great memories as a child. Unforunately, our stay was not up to par.

The pictures on the website are of the best rooms but not every room is like this. We visited family in a different room and it looked like the pictures, ours did not. I'm pretty sure the carpet we had is the exact same carpet from the 1980's. The staff is friendly and the location is great!! The pools, lazy river, hot tub, and small bar is nice.

But the room is horrible. There was mold on the shower curtain (which they replaced), I didn't want to walk barefoot on the carpet because it felt sticky, the stove was from 1960's, their are the exact same cabinets from the earlier 1990's when I used to stay there, the room smelled old and like mildew.

I believe the mixed reviews are from the different rooms available. If you get a 1 bedroom, you could end up with something very nice or something moldy and outdated. It's all about which room you end up with but no matter where room you end up with, you pay the same price.

If you chose to stay there, good luck. We will not be returning.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
ForestDunesMOD, Manager at Forest Dunes Resort, responded to this review, 11 August 2012
Thank you for your great comments - we are very happy to be a part of your fondest childhood memories. We are sorry to hear about this most recent visit where your room was not quite as nice as those pictured here and on our website. Please be assured that most of the 110 condos on our rental program are like those pictured. We are not quite sure if you rented through Forest Dunes Resort, or through an owner who rents independently as we could not find record of anyone complaining directly to us about a condo like the one you described. Please note that about 110 condos are rented through Forest Dunes Resort’s official rental program. A few other condos are rented independently. If you feel you rented through us please contact us at 1-800-845-7787, or email MOD@ForestDunes.Com with the name your reservation was under so we can be sure to address the issues you were not happy with. Likewise, if you would like to return for another visit please contact the Manager On Duty directly at the same number or email address for assistance with your next reservation. I’m sure we can make sure you do not have the same bad experience again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

Forest dunes is wonderful, the hotel is in a great location. Far enough from all the traffic and noise but closer enough to get to everything quickly. Parking was not an issue at all and the beach is directly across the street. Pool is great and the staff is very funny. They have kids activites, happy hour for adults and great clean lanudry facilites on site. I will surely be back to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank andrea f
willtravel12345, Owner at Forest Dunes Resort, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
On behalf of all owners, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts about your stay. It means a lot when guests appreciate our resort and individual condos. We look forward to your return visit. And don't forget that summer isn't the only time when it's fun to stay in Myrtle Beach with all we have to offer.
Clinton, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

The Forest Dunes provided the perfect vacation for my family. We had an 11th floor ocean view king room and the coastline view was spectacular. Spacious, beautifully decorated condo with 1.5 baths, comfortable king bed, nice kitchen, huge flat screen TV in living room and so much more. No problems at all with the elevators, nice sized indoor and outdoor pools, lazy river and hot tub. Plenty of parking, friendly front desk staff and no housekeepers banging on the door early in the morning -- who wouldn't enjoy that during vacation? This place is awesome and we can't wait to return next year!

3 Thank VacationLovers777
willtravel12345, Owner at Forest Dunes Resort, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
We appreciate your taking the time to provide us feedback and are so pleased you loved your stay. We look forward to your return visit. As always, owners will be working hard to make our resort the best it can be.
Mebane, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

First of all my husband picked out the place to stay and I must say he did an excellent job. Forest Dunes was a great location and the staff, Teresa and Vivian, were wonderful! When we spoke to Teresa on the phone she assured us that we would enjoy our stay and we really did. Our room was more than we expected and the staff always kept the room nice and clean. When I called down and asked for another pillow Vivian was there to help locate and provide. We had wanted something away from all the attractions and this was the best location, quiet, fun, wonderful pools, family oriented and great staff. The firework shows from our balcony were beautiful! The elevators were a little slow and I wish the jacuzzi was inside but other than that we had a great time. We will definitely be back, thanks Forest Dunes!

The Leath Family

Room Tip: 10th floor had the best view of fireworks!
1 Thank Fanchon L
willtravel12345, Owner at Forest Dunes Resort, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Thank you! Knowing you have been well-taken care of during your visit is what we like to hear. We're so glad you enjoy what Forest Dunes offers--location, family friendly, relaxation... And, we really appreciate your recognition of front desk staff; especially during the summer, things can get hectic and we know they try hard. As for elevators, we wish there were more we could do than keeping them serviced and updated, and know this can be an annoyance up and down the beach during the height of the season. We just have to ask for your patience, and for those who like exercise, the stairs may sometimes be a good option.
hillsville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

If you want the best and great prices for your vacation,Forest Dunes is the right choice to choose.I have stayed there every time I go on our family vacation.This is the only place I will make reservations to .My family loves Forest Dunes.I highly recommend everyone to try this place .

Room Tip: I have had nothing but the best vacation at Forest Dunes.It does not matter what floor you are on or...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
willtravel12345, Owner at Forest Dunes Resort, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
We sincerely appreciate your encouragement! We take all reviews seriously, both good and not so good. Be assured all our owners continue to work hard for the enjoyment of our guests...and for ourselves, too, since we also love visiting the resort. We hope each time you come back you'll find we just keep getting better.
Decatur, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

We traveled to MB last week. We picked this facility because most reviews seemed pretty good and it got a 4 out of 5 star rating...so we thought it should be a nice place to stay. Sorry to say that we were disappointed in the facility overall and our room. I guess we didnt research enough, because we were not aware that this was in a residential neighborhood. And this being our 1st time to MB, we wanted to see all of the sites as well as the beach. The location was great for the beach...loved it!! But not so much for taking in the activities that MB had to offer. We felt like it was a little inconvenient. I was leary as soon as we pulled up...the check in area had me worried too. Not very nice. Staff was friendly though. We stayed in room 304. The room was just ok...not as nice as we had hoped for. I felt like it needed a major scrub down, some fresh paint and overall updating. The furniture was cheap, the carpet in the living room was stained and the rug was dirty. (now how much does it cost to replace a rug every once in a while??) The handle in the shower had been fixed with electrical tape!!! Really!! The beds were hard as a rock and the sheets were about as comfortable as sleeping on a cardboard box. I wished that we brought our own linens!!!! The other party that we were with stayed just down the hall and there condo was was a little bit nicer than ours, but just ok as well. I am generally not this picky...but this was just not what we had hoped for. Sorry Forest Dunes...if we come back to MB, we will be looking for a nicer place to stay.

1 Thank KelliD_11
ForestDunesMOD, Manager at Forest Dunes Resort, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay and for acknowledging our friendly staff. We wish we knew you were not thrilled with your accommodations while you were still here. Many times we are able to make last minute adjustments to improve your overall satisfaction. We were unable to find some of the maintenance problems you noted, but we assure you this condo was inspected and both our housekeeping and maintenance departments have responded accordingly. While many guests have contacted us with positive feedback about the condo you stayed in, we realize that our guests have varying tastes and we strive to satisfy each guest accordingly. Likewise, had we known about your feelings pertaining to our location we would have suggested using the Coast RTA shuttle bus for convenient access to other areas of the beach – the shuttle stops by Forest Dunes Resort every hour. While most of our guests appreciate the beauty and quiet characteristics of this "Cabana Section" of Myrtle Beach, we realize that some folks prefer to be in the densely populated downtown area. Preferences like this can change with experience. We thank you for your business and we hope you will return to Myrtle Beach and perhaps try us again someday for a better experience.
Clover, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

Had done my research, called the hotel and spoke to Billy at the desk. He was kind, patient , knowledgeable of the property,and helpful. He spoke with me and helped me discern the room type my family of 3 would need. When we arrived he greeted us warmly, and even recalled our phone conversation of 3 weeks earlier by hearing our last name. Wow. When we traveled up to our room it was perfect. All the kitchen needs were there as well as linens for the fold out sofa. And let me mention the view! This stretch of Myrtle Beach is quiet and well kept. The shoreline is so pretty. We had a late snack at Buckets Grill and the waitperson/bartender from Tenn. was so polite, and the food was tasty. We had stayed here in the late 1990s and it was nice then but it has been refurbished and our unit was perfect. We will be back. Thank you Mr. Billy.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank poodlesmom
, Owner at Forest Dunes Resort, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
We sincerely appreciate everything you had to say about your stay! We are so glad you got know one of our very special front desk representatives and that you noticed all the updates and changes owners have been working on steadily over the past several years. Thank you and come back soon.