Message from TripAdvisor:

“Can find a better place for the same money”

Forest Dunes Resort
Ranked #38 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed here for a week recently and found the overall facility to just be ok. The condo we stayed in was fantastic and truly did not fit in this building. I say this because I got to see some of the others while we were there and we definitely had the nicest place out of all the ones I saw. If we would have one of the other condos I saw I am not sure I would have too many positive things to say about Forest Dunes. The reason why is while the facility is pretty clean and there always seems to be someone doing some kind of maintenance the complex is just a little long in the tooth. It appears that it could definitely use a power washing, a coat of paint, some updating, and new carpeting in the common areas throughout. Additionally the elevators here are literally the slowest I have seen anywhere. I do not know the cause of this, but on more than one occasion I waited more than 10 minutes for an elevator. Another interesting thing is I don't think there are enough parking spots for all the cars when they are full. At least it appeared this way on the evening of July 4th. We got back kind of late and the garage had no spots available in it leaving us to "make" a spot. The other thing I would add is there was some horrible sewer smell in the lobby area near the entrance to the indoor pool while we there. It persisted for at least 3 days and was not addressed by the time we left. Considering the pungency of the smell I cannot imagine onsite management was not aware of it. The other thing that was a little disappointing was the general lack of amenities at this facility. I have not been to Myrtle Beach in forever and did not realize that so many of the other places have multiple pools, children's play areas with water features, and water slides. Forest Dune only has one small pool, a small toddlers pool, and a smallish lazy river. Personally I would not stay here again. It's not a horrible place, but as my title says much better can be found for the same money.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Oh_Parrothead
Nicole H, Manager at Forest Dunes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Dear OH_Parrothead,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on the resort. With each helpful review, we take the next step to making our property better and exactly what you need to have an outstanding vacation while in the Myrtle Beach. I am so happy that your unit was up to your standards and apologize that we were unable to meet all of your expectations.We hope that you have a fantastic summer and if you have the opportunity to come back to the beach we hope that you give us another chance to provide you with a great vacation experience.

Best Wishes,
Nicole Hadad

There are newer reviews for Forest Dunes Resort

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We had initially just booked a suite with 1 bedroom with a queen bed and sofa bed in living room for 4 of us. It was a little cramped and we really needed a second bathroom, so we were able to get another room just down from ours with 2 double beds and a bath and a half for 2 of us. The second room was sooooo much nicer! The suite was ocean front, the 2nd one was not. Our suite could use a little work - the tub was a little dingy, the cabinets in the bathroom had small chunks of wood missing on the corners, the refrigerator had some stains on the outside, and there were noticeable patches on the walls in a few different places. Also, and this is small but annoying, the remote did not work for the tv in the living room. We stayed on the 4th floor, which was nice because the top floor of the parking garage was even with the 4th floor and there was a walkway that connected the two. The bed was comfy and housekeeping was good. We went down for breakfast one morning in the restaurant, but it didn't open until 8:30 a.m., so we just ate somewhere else. So, overall I just gave it an average rating.

Room Tip: 4th floor connects to the parking garage
2  Thank Melody D
ForestDunesMOD, Manager at Forest Dunes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. We appreciate you and your feedback. We are sorry your first condo was not as nice as the condo you moved into. Please be assured our owners are constantly investing in updates and improvements. All condos are evaluated for continual improvement and every condo on our rental program has been improved over the past few years. While some condos still have original cabinetry, many condos have been updated with new cabinets and many more are scheduled to be completed this year. We also apologize that your remote went bad - with hundreds of remotes on property we check every remote between guests to maintain them as best we can. If a remote goes bad during your stay we are happy to provide maintenance service. Again, we really appreciate you and wish you all the best. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Very clean, great space, loved the views. I loved that we were away from the busy part of the Grand Strand but close to everything. We stayed on the 16th floor and the floor to ceiling windows were awesome. We will definitely stay here again.

3  Thank LoriAnne02
ForestDunesMOD, Manager at Forest Dunes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thanks for choosing Forest Dunes. We are very happy to hear how much you enjoyed it here for saying you "WILL STAY HERE AGAIN". We really appreciate you and miss you already - look forward to seeing you again. Please keep in touch with us on facebook where you will find daily posts and pictures to share with your friends and family. Have a great year - we wish you the very best!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I chose this hotel because it was affordable, and it looked like a nice place to stay. I wrote in the extra details section that I was celebrating MY BIRTHDAY and hoping for an extra special stay. Nobody seemed to have read that detail because it wasn't acknowledged. Instead, I received awful customer service from a woman named Misty, who acted like any guest need was the end of the world. She scowled, rolled her eyes, and was downright altogether rude. She gossiped about other customers to her coworker in front of us at checkout, complaining about how the customer who just walked out of the office inconvenienced her by requesting a room change and inquiring about an ice machine. All we could think was how unprofessional that was and how she would probably say similar things about us once we left. We did not feel welcome. Instead, even when we asked where the pool was, the front desk clerks acted like we just requested some incredible accommodation, and we constantly received awful customer service and negative attitudes. I don't think I saw a single employee even smile. My hotel room wasn't all that either. Things were dirty, sticky, crumby, and stinky. It looked like somebody had just made the bed and left everything else as is. I was almost worried to sleep on the bed or use the sheets at all. And the bed was hard and uncomfortable. The view was pretty, but the room itself certainly wasn't anything special, and if I wanted customer service like this, I should've gone to McDonalds. Actually, I really think I've received better customer service and sanitary conditions at McDonalds. I really expected something more from a resort, particularly on my birthday. I will not be returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GingVic

Thanks for your comments about your recent stay. We are sorry to hear about your less than average experience and assure you the product and service you described here are not typical of Forest Dunes, in fact, they are the exact opposite of what the majority of our guests report. We really appreciate you and wish your birthday experience had been everything you hoped for. We hope you will reconsider and try Forest Dunes again. We wish you the very best.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

I have only been here for one night and came in fairly late but am disappointed at the room so far.
The A/C does not work too efficiently. We have already found a roach in the kitchen and a spider in one of the beds when we turned back the covers. The furniture is old and stained. The glasses had lipstick stains on them. YUK! The carpet is nasty and sticky. I went back to the front desk and basically was told that there were no alternatives. On the second day they call me to tell me to move my car because the first floor is reserved for big cars and trucks when they are letting vehicles park in loading 15 minute zone for hours which blocked us from unloading our things into our room. Why didn't they say that when I checked in?. I have stayed in a lot better places and to make matters worse we took our guidance from Trip Advisor about this place. All the people that wrote good things about Forest Dune's rooms should be ashamed or at least show me where you stayed because it is definitely not where I am.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. This is definitely NOT worth the money.
3  Thank Connie M

Thanks for your comments about your stay with us. We are sorry we dropped the ball on meeting your expectations. We wish you had requested to speak to a manager on duty. Had our front desk realized you were not satisfied with their service they would have asked a manager to contact you while you were still with us in order to investigate other alternatives. It appears you reserved last minute and stayed in a first floor condo as no other options were available for the dates you selected. Please note we do take guest feedback very seriously and every condo is rated based on our inspections and overall guest feedback. The condo you stayed in would not be on our rental program if it failed to to satisfy our standards and the average guest's expectation. Admittedly, first floor condos are more difficult to sell year-round because the ocean view is not as good as condos on higher floors. We appreciate you and all your feedback as we will use your feedback to improve our product and service. We hope you will consider staying again as we are sure we can do far better on your next visit. Forest Dunes offers condos that are more spacious than most rental condos and our location and average track record for service are among the best. We wish you the very best and hope to have the opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

As a gesture of bonding and building memories, my Mother booked a room with Forest Dunes. This vacation serves two purposes, a well needed vacation as well as a means of meeting up so my daughter can go back home with my Mother for the summer. Upon arrival to Forest Dunes, my daughter was so excited to see that the hotel is located with a prime view of the beach. So far, this has been the best feature of our stay.
I say this because my Mother had high hopes of staying at Forest Dunes, but upon seeing our room, the excitement slowly but surely began to change. For one, the door to the room would not lock and the staff explained that the maintenance guy was setting up the screen for movie night and we had to wait until he was done. This was a inconvenience for us, as we could not leave the room with our personal items in an unlocked room. Secondly, the furnishing in the room in need of a serious renovation, as almost everything was dated. The ceiling in the kitchen is peeling and the refrigerator is dented, scratched up, and dated. I was compelled to write this review on our 1st of 3 nights here after taking a shower to find the shower curtain with remnants of old soap scum on it.
Often you hear, you get what you paid for. In this case this is not true, and I know that my Mother is too embarrassed to say anything, so this is the least I can do for her, share her experience. She is a hard working woman that truly deserves a vacation, and I am truly bothered that the room is not what she was expecting. We are building memories while enjoying each other company, but no one is comfortable with the accommodations, as Forest Dunes is in need of some “bonding” as well….literally!!
Consider this property for what it is as well as the accommodations that you are in need of.
Sincerely The Bell, Chadwick & Morgan family (room 1004)

Room Tip: Do your research!
2  Thank Bell1758
ForestDunesMOD, Manager at Forest Dunes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for your comments. Our inspection records indicate the entry door worked properly prior to your arrival and the maintenance technician indicated the lock was damaged by using the deadbolt to keep the door from closing. Slamming the door with the deadbolt out will cause damage to the lock and strike plate alignment. We are sorry you had to wait for maintenance service and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused for you. Your comments about the condition of the condo itself are not typical as this condo has been recently renovated with a new kitchen and many guests request this particular condo. Regarding the price and value, we believe Forest Dunes offers the best value in Myrtle Beach due to it's premier location, spacious condos, and excellent customer service record. In your case we obviously failed to deliver the standard of service we aim to provide. We will attempt to reach you in the next 24 hours in an effort to improve your overall experience and satisfaction. You are greatly appreciated and we wish you the very best.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I love Forest Dunes the location was great. There is short walk to the beach and there is an indoor and outdoor pool. The veiw from our room was fabulas and the staff was very friendly. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Luwhocindi
ForestDunesMOD, Manager at Forest Dunes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thanks for choosing Forest Dunes. We are very happy to hear you had a "Great Week" and we miss you already. We really appreciate you and hope to see you again soon. Please keep in touch with us on facebook where you will find daily posts and pictures to share with your friends and family. Have a great year - we wish you the very best!