“Great place to stay with family”
Review of Ocean Forest Plaza

Ocean Forest Plaza
Dewittville, New York
“Great place to stay with family”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I will start by saying I was alittle scared after reading the reviews about this place. I was surprised! The parking garage is very tight but you just go slow and make wide turns up. If you have a big car good luck. We only used garage at night as we always found parking on Beach st during the day. The front desk was very pleasant to us. We got to check in early. They were very nice when I asked and said we could as long as our room was ready which it was. (This is common in all places though) They are very busy with taking calls but treated us great (specially the evening girl) and even showed interest in my 7 year old when she told them about the crab she found on the beach. Never had a problem or wait with elevators. Now the room...There was a mix up as I got a king Ocean Front instead of a Double but we didn't say anything as we still all fit comfortable. We had a hugh couch with pull out and a king side bed. The room was 2011 and it was amazing. The view I cant explain. We saw dolphins every morning from our balcony and my husband took pics of us on the beach from the balcony and they were crystal clear. The kitchen had everything and more that I needed to cook with. Housekeeping was very prompt and had towels with them 6 out of 7 of the days. Their was one day they came in around 11:30 and had to wait for towels but they were delivered within 2 hour. We didn't need them until that night and I let them know that. They left dish washer soap and Dish Soap when needed. There is sand that we brought in but I used the broom and swept it up. Just like I would at home. (when we have rented ocean front houses you had to clean up after yourself anyways.) Our condo had some chairs and boogie boards the kids used so we didn't have to go buy any. We ate dinner twice on the deck and it also had a 4 person table to eat at. Girls ate breakfast at the 2 stool bar in room. Location was great for us. We came down for a softball tournament plus family vacation. If you are younger and want to be on the strip you don't want to stay her. It is a very peaceful atmosphere and great for families that don't want to deal with the party scene. The beach was busy but had room to play and sit. We were only about 5 min away from the Broadway and we could see the Ferris Wheel clearly from our balcony. Stores are right around the corner so you don't have to drive very far. The pools were great and the kids met new friends every night. I would recommend this hotel to anyone with a family. I cant tell you what all the rooms are like but ours was amazing. If plans hold we are suppose to be going to MB for softball every year for next 5 years and hope to be able to get this room every year!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Amy J
Sands R, Sands Digital Marketing at Ocean Forest Plaza, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you so much for the detailed review. Thoroughly enjoyed reading about your vacation experience at Ocean Plaza

We are so very happy you were pleased with your stay, the hotel and the staff. We do hope you can return soon for another visit.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Bedford, Virginia
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I always stay here when I come to myrtle and have tried other places and prefer this place best. I like having my view of the beach, I like having my kitchen equipped with everything I need and if any thing is worn or need replace the staff is on it a.s.a.p.! If the weather is bad the pool indoor is great and the restaurant and bar upstairs is great, don't have to drive anywhere!! I can wash up my laundry before leaving .I wouldn't go anywhere else and wouldn't recommend any place else.

Room Tip: The view up as high as you can go is excellent!!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank rebecca c
Sands R, Sands Digital Marketing at Ocean Forest Plaza, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you for your positive review.

We are happy and smiling that you enjoyed your stay and all the amenities. Your loyalty is what keeps us going.

Please visit again very soon, we look forward to it
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I recently visited Myrtle Beach, SC for the first visit to the Beach I've been able to afford in three years. I booked my room through an online website thinking I was booking a regular hotel room. I did not realize that this was listed as a hotel room when, in fact, it was an unused vacation condo. I was instructed to pick up my keys at a different location than my "hotel" and I paid in full for my booking through the online website. I checked carefully for any "fine print" but there was none. My receipt clearly says I had paid all taxes, fees and charges in full.
You can imagine my surprise when I show up at the address and it is not the hotel but the office of Palmetto Vacation Rentals. I went into the office as instructed (they close at 5:00 pm but I was not informed of this in advance - it is just happy chance that I showed up before 5:00 pm or I wouldn't have been able to get my keys), showed my id and the receipt from my online booking ($113.42) and was told that I could not get my room keys until I had paid an additional $120.00! They said it was a "cleaning fee". They assured me that this was a normal charge when booked through "leisure living". I don't know who "leisure living" is but apparently the website I booked the room through was listing rooms for them in another name.

In any event, I produced the receipt and showed the staff that no such fee was indicated. I am on a very tight budget. I had picked the room based on a reasonable price. I found myself hundreds of miles from home and I felt as if this company was holding my room hostage for this fee (that was more than the total cost of the room btw). I felt I had no choice but to pay the fee which took all the available extra funds I had saved for this trip. It also started my trip out horribly! I felt mislead and ripped off - if I had known of this fee I would never have booked the room!

After paying the fees, because we had no choice but to pay or drive right back home, we moved on to our room in Ocean Forest Plaza. The hallway outside our room was near a trash chute and the hallway smelled horribly of trash! In addition, the first thing we found in our room was a roach!

To be fair, we only saw the one roach and the rest of the room was okay. There was a bag with some toilet paper, etc in it which was appreciated. The view was amazing. We had a nice two days but the entire time I was upset about how we were ripped off for this $120.00 fee.

All I ask is that a company treat me honestly. Had I missed the fine print I would have been upset but just felt stupid BUT THERE WAS NO FINE PRINT! My receipt said "ALL CHARGES AND FEES ARE PAID IN FULL". I would expect that an honest company would take a look at my receipt (which I had with me) and look at the listing on the website and waive the charge! If they had treated me in an honest and fair manner I would be shouting it to everyone to say what a great company they are! In fact, however, they did nothing of the sort! They made ZERO effort to make this right! They didn't offer me any sort of apology and were very rude to me at check in. I would caution ANYONE that books a "hotel room" through "leisure living" "ocean forest plaza" or "Palmetto Vacation Rentals" to be VERY careful because they do NOT honestly disclose their fees and will do NOTHING to make it right when you arrive. I still feel ripped off and mistreated. I made the best of a bad situation but from now on I won't book any hotel outside of a national chain! Beware Palmetto Vacation Rentals! (I did report them to the BBB and am hopeful that maybe they will be able to assist me in getting this company to make this right!)

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the 9th floor - it smells horribly of trash due to the trash chute at the en...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Samantha A
Thank you for your review, however this is a property owned by an individual and managed by Palmetto Vacation Rentals, not the Ocean Forest Plaza.

We have notified TripAdvisor and asked them to place this review on the appropriate owner's page.

We apologize you had this experience.

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We have stayed here almost everytime that we have visited in the past year... The condo is always nice and clean no complaints. The staff is really friendly.. The only that I would like to ask is have you all considered doing an indoor water park? That would make the stay even better when it gets colder outside. All in all great place to stay, reasonable price!!! I just left there on Sat. Sept 14, 2013!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank octavia m
Thank you for the review.

Happy to hear you have no complaints and we do hope you will visit again very soon.

As far as an indoor water park for colder days, we will pass this suggestion on.
Holly Springs, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We arrived on a Thursday evening and had a fairly easy checking along with information about a water park that we could use at another Sands property. We received a call asking if we found the room ok. The room was ok for Myrtle Beach oceanfront. We had an oceanfront one bedroom suite. The decor was pastel 80's seaside as many are. The two beds being doubles are small for two adults in one bed and as with most hotels on this bed they were were hard. The next morning our granddaughter spilled her drink on one bed and we pulled the covers off to wash that evening. When we got back the covers were gone and others left and nothing else touched. Next day a sheet put on this bed, the other bed made. Later same day we returned again to all towels gone around 4. The clerk downstairs didn't know what to do and did not seem to care. After an hour another staff member got us towels. Parking lot is tight as some others at this beach. Don't expect luxury, understand every room is owned by different people. Be prepared for front desk people to be either very nice or rather ignorant as this seems the case. Security is the same with several showing an attitude of vanity and over importance .... Which most people in the field know escalates tensions instead of de-escalate as we witnessed outside with some young kids were being a bit annoying but not any reason for more than a simple kind request to move along and calm down.

Room Tip: I had room 2112. Average room for this beach.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank hjpoole
Thank you for your thorough review.

We apologize if any of our staff were rude as this is not acceptable practice at Sands.

Thank you for providing your room #. If you can supply us with your date of stay, we will look into this.

We hope you return to Ocean Forest Plaza or to one of our other Sands properties very soon.
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We were originally booked at one of the other sands resorts, ocean dunes in tower 2. It was a dumb and we requested a transfer, which took forever but finally got one in a much nicer room compared to the latter, the room was suitable and it was peaceful and fairly clean, needs updated majorly though. The beds were hard as a rock and one of the housekeepers helped themselves to some money my husband left on the table, they never brought us clean towels, except the 1st day when we called for them. Other than that we basically got what we paid for... It was peaceful and relaxing though. Next time, I think we will stay back at the Patricia Grand. That place is NICE!

• Stayed August 2013

We apologize for the inconvenience this caused you during your vacation. You should not have to move room locations.

As far as the money being taken off the table, Sands Resorts does not tolerate theft and we do hope you brought this to the attention of the hotel manager.

If you will please provide us with your room # at the Plaza, we would like to look into this.

We hope you will return to one of our Sands Resorts during your next Myrtle Beach vacation
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Just came back from a 1 week stay at the Ocean Forest Plaza Condo Hotel. It was a very good place to stay at. The rooms were excellent and very clean. Nothing bad to report about the place. They have a restaurant with a fantastic view of the beach..The place has an inside pool and an outside pool. Also there is a whirlpool. They have an inside garage which was excellent to have especially when it rains.The place is just next to the beach. You just have to cross the road. The beach was excellent. Super clean. It's very quiet as it's in a residential area.. I would go back there anytime in the future.

Room Tip: The higher you are the better the view.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your positive review.

We are so very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and we do hope you can return soon for another visit.

You can tell your family and friends you stayed on the "Golden Mile" in Myrtle Beach. You are right in saying this is a residential area and very quiet. Some folks call it "old Myrtle Beach." Away from the hustle and bustle but still within driving distance if you want to be in the middle of it all.

See you soon