“Nothing Works”

Ranked #186 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Fort Mill, South Carolina
“Nothing Works”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This place is just horrible!!! It is highly expensive for such a rundown place. The stove didn't work and the water in the shower cuts on and off and the hot water isn't hot. I had warmer water with the cold. Roaches began to crawl and they don't allow no extra towels for a family of 7, yet along extra cover. They don't maintain their pool or hot tub. When they were told that children were unattended and causing disruption with others nothing was done about it, and they were urinating in the water. I don't recommend this place to NO ONE!!!!! The banisters are falling apart and it's not a great family place to be. The pool closes at 10pm and they lock the gates. Our beds were broke and sinking in, and they don't supply what is needed for the beds....pillows, cover, and sheets. This is just a sucky place to stay. Don't go near it. It was just a complete waste of time to relax when we trying to get things to work. Phones don't work either.....what if we needed help.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Dawn M
1903Oceanfront, Manager at Summer Wind Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Dawn M,
We apologize that you were dissatisfied with the accommodations at Summer Wind Inn & Suites. While it is our maintenance team's goal to insure that everything is in good working order, we apologize that there were maintenance issues in your room. Also, we are terribly sorry that other guest's behavior disturbed your vacation. The management team treats this issues seriously, and continued bad behavior is not tolerated and will result in eviction from the motel. As noted many places, Summer wind is not new, but offers an oceanfront location for budget minded guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Shelbyville, Kentucky
Reviewed 22 June 2014

this was a very cheap hotel with a high price , is dyer need of a major over haul needs lots of paint , new carpets , my sister went without her shoes and in just a few minutes her feet were black , and they vaccumed that morning , that's how nasty it was , never again will I stay at a hotel like this , I will go to a even more expensive one , would rather pay more and get a nice place to stay , I washed 3 loads of clothes and it cost me $13.00 because dryers would not dry,

Room Tip: make sure u go with a major hotel chain...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank ronda m
1903Oceanfront, Manager at Summer Wind Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Ronda M,
Thank you for staying at a non-franchised hotel. We apologize that the accommodations did not meet your expectations, but appreciated that you noted that the hotel was affordably price. As will note from other reviews, we are not a new hotels, but our staff is committed to clean accommodations, and good guest service. We are not a franchised hotel, so for guests seeking that experience, it is probably preferable that they seek a franchised hotel. Again, we apologize, but hope that you will return to the beautiful Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach soon.

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The lady at check in was wonderful & very kind. That was the ONLY thing good there. First we payed to stay night...checked out at 5pm due to roaches. The woman who checked me out was rude as hell...all but accused me of stealing towels. I told her that they were in a pile near tub. I had to wait till maid went & double check. When they found all towels accounted for, I never even got an apology. Then I verified that there was no charges going to be made. 2 days later...that was the ONLY place I used my CC. I get a call from my bank that there are over $1000 dollars worth of charges on my account. Some from Myrtle Beach & the rest from Mexico! That's right Mexico!! SMFH Are you serious? I tried calling the hotel & have yet to get a call back! If my bank had not caught the fraudulent charges I am curious on how much I would have been taken for! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!

• Stayed April 2014
5 Thank MzAdrieanne
Dear MzAdrienne,
I apologize that the accommodations at Summer wind did not meet your expectations, and further regret that you found the checkout process to be unsatisfactory. On behalf of the entire management team, we were perplexed by your reference to stolen CC information. We treat these allegations seriously, and adhere to best hotel practices when they are made. No one from your bank contacted us, so I assume that the card was perhaps used at other locations during that time frame. We're glad that you and your financial institution were able to identify the unusual activity that occurred and that Summer wind was not involved.
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

My son chose Myrtle Beach for his 21st birthday. We stayed @ Summer Wind. It is right on the beach and has an outdoor pool. There are several Putt Putt golf courses, an arcade and amusement park all within walking diatance. The room had a fridge and microwave so we were able to prepare food during the week. Grocery store was within walking distance as well. Plenty of stores with beach toys close by as in addition to restaurants suitable for a 21st birthday celebration.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank E Louise L
1903Oceanfront, Manager at Summer Wind Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Dear E Louise,
Happy belated birthday to your son! Thank you for celebrating the special occasion at Myrtle Beach and for staying at Summer wind Inn & Suites. Sometimes, we are remiss in not sharing our close proximity to many attractions. I'm sure that other readers will find your review helpful. We hope that you make it tradition and return again for other family celebrations.
Morristown, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 3 September 2013

When my sister and friend arrived the air was not working.We watched them replace it. We changed our clothes got our things DOUBLE CHECKED the door and went to the beach. We stayed from 1:00-4:00 got ready to go eat and discovered that I had $500 and my friend had $400 MISSING out of our purses.Our purses were in a drawer together.No, we should not have left the money in there but the door was still locked when we got back telling me that someone with a key watched all of us go out and went in our room. We filed a police report they took a envelope to see if they could get fingerprints. Of course we couldn't get our money back.Foolish mistake on our part,but our room should not have been entered.Do Not stay here !

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Terry A
1903Oceanfront, Manager at Summer Wind Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Dear Terry A,
We are terribly sorry that money was missing from your room. Our management team fully cooperated with the Police in this investigation, and followed best hotel operating practices. While we are prohibited from commenting in an open forum about a police matter, other Trip Advisor readers should know that Summer Wind upgraded the room locks and key card system in May '2013. This upgraded system allowed us to interrogate the lock and identify every key that was used to enter the room along with the time. Theft has not been an issue at the Summer Wind, and we have not had another occurrence. Again, we are terribly sorry that this happened. I know that other readers will find your comment about not leaving valuables in your room or vehicle when traveling helpful. Also, when staying in a first floor guestroom, extra care should be taken to make sure that all exterior doors are locked.
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We reserved non-smoking... first room smelled like cigarettes, 2nd room smelled like weed, 3rd room still smelled like cigarettes, but we gave up because the desk person Michael was obviously disinterested in our satisfaction. Very unpleasant and uncomfortable to be in the room, so we ended up leaving early even though we couldn't get a refund. The hotel is next to the beach but do yourself a favor and pick a hotel where the staff cares about your experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DCtravels11
Dear DC Travels,
We regret that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay at Summer Wind. Many hotels no longer allow any smoking in the guestrooms, and while we continue to strive to accommodate the needs of all guests, we are terribly sorry that you were inconvenienced by a previous guest who did not observe the non-smoking guestroom. Regrettably, during busy season, there were a limited number of alternative rooms for relocation. Again, we apologize for your inconvenience.
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My husband and I just stayed here this past weekend and I must say this was one of the most awful place I've ever encountered. The rooms are old,carpet is old, strain and smells. To top it off, they only have 3 irons in this entire nasty motel. So my advice to anyone is don't stay here go some where else and if we hadn't prepaid weeks before we would have went some where else. Only good thing is its on the beach.Didn't see no roaches but if your on a budget this is the way to go we booked because of the pictures on line plus they call themselves a inn and suite that's a fat lie.

• Stayed August 2013
1903Oceanfront, Manager at Summer Wind Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Dear Ohajia,
We are sorry that you were disappointed in the Summer Wind Inn & Suites. As noted throughout Trip Advisor, Summer Wind is an older oceanfront motel. Each staff member strives to provide excellent guest service, and our housekeeping team adheres to best hotel cleaning practices to insure cleanliness. For guests who are looking for franchised hotel type amenities, Summer Wind is probably not the best fit. You are correct, Summer wind does not equip the guestrooms with irons/boards. The front desk does keep a few irons for guest use. Again, we apologize for your dissatisfaction, but do hope that you will return to the beautiful Myrtle Beach Grand Strand again.