“The worst experience of my life!!!!!!!!!!!”

Summer Wind Inn & Suites
Ranked #191 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 24 July 2006

We arrived on July 19th and I spent the rest of the day and all morning on the 20th looking for another place to stay. I went to Chamber of Commerce to try to get help. Nothing was available for more than 1-2 days so we stayed 4 nites instead of the 6 we had planned. They refunded my money for the other 2 nites without question. I was ready to sit in front of the office and tell all that entered what they were getting into!!!!! Carpet was soaked around the air conditioner with a fan blowing on it, shower was hot then cold, lamp shades had so much dust I took them off myself and put them in the hallway, stove was covered with grease, sand from the beach was all over the dresser and the balcony had cigarette butts from the previous guest still there. Ice machine didnt work for 2 days and they only have one. We didnt get clean towels until almost 5pm one day and that was after 3 phone calls. The list goes on and on. Please.....do not make the mistake we did. I cried all morning on our second day and would have headed home but we live 500 miles away and had 2 teenagers that wanted to stay. Someone needs to buy this place and clean it up and remodel it . They are just making money every day and putting nothing back.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk

Reviewed 24 July 2006

My family and I stayed at Summer Wind Inn & Suites in 2004 and it was a great deal for the money. We returned in July of 2006 to find the place so filthy I was afraid to touch anything. The service was also very bad and the air conditioning required maintenance on a daily basis.

Problems:

Upon check-in, the floor of the room had not been vaccumed and we questioned if the sheets had been changed.

The bathroom (counter, shower/tub, and toilet) had not been cleaned. One of the other guests commented that a case of Tylex probably wouldn't take care of it.

The floor was so dirty that when I dabbed the floor to get up a few drops of water, the papertowel was black. It could not have been mopped in months.

The kitchen and refrigerator would horrific. Dirty utensils in the drawers, hairs in the refrigerator and freezer. Everything was sticky and dusty. Could not have been cleaned in months.

Towels - where are they? I had to retrieve my own towels almost everyday and couldn't get them until late in the afternoon (4:00 to 5:00 PM). The one day, they actually brought towels, they did not leave enough for each guest in the room. In addition, they did not take the dirty ones or take out the trash.

Air conditioning - Gave out everyday and it would take hours to have the problem resolved. It actually felt better outside than in the room. The temperture during our stay was in the high 90's.

Everyone around us complained of the same problems so it wasn't just our room.

Pool - Dirty around the deck. Water not very clear.

Pets - They now accept small pets which we were not told before checking in. Beware if you have allergies.

I don't expect perfection at an oceanfront property. They are going to show the wear and tear from the sand and ocean air; however, I do expect them to be clean. My feet shouldn't be black when I walk across the floor. I shouldn't wonder if the towel I'm drying with was actually washed. My family and I will not return to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank lukasc1
A TripAdvisor Member
bloomingburg ny
Reviewed 10 July 2006

We stayed at the summerwind for the fourth of july and i must say it was a nice exsperience, the rooms were clean and the staff was helpful from the front desk to housekeeping. We had our young children with us and they were treated very well also. they enjoyed the pool and were able to practically walk out of our room to the beach. i will definitly stay there next year.

• Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 June 2006

Good & Lots of Bad
Good: Cheap price, nice location on the beach, free breakfast
Bad: Dirty, smells of smoke (sheets), not enough towels for the number of guests in the room (called office 4 out of 5 days about this), bathroom was disgusting and the floor had not been mopped, hot tub was growing mold (green water), human poop in the pool, and stained carpet

• Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank UK-GoCats
Reviewed 23 June 2006

I've been to Myrtle Beach a million times, but this was my first time staying at Summer Wind. It's in a good location (and right on the beach), the nightly rate we received was fantastic, and the room was clean. We had no problems getting clean towels, etc. (like the previous reviewer did...maybe the staff was just having a busy week then). They accept small pets, which is a major plus, but be aware no dogs are allowed on the beach from 9am-5pm. The staff was extremely nice & helpful and as everyone else has said, the waffles were great. :)

I think this motel is appropriate for anyone looking for a nice place to stay on a budget. While it has been remodeled, it's still not new construction, so don't expect that. It's not fancy, but it is clean and everyone is nice.

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank haleno
Reviewed 9 June 2006

We visit this hotel when we go to MB. The staff was friendly, but it seemed to be understaffed. When we got to the hotel, it was clean. The breakfast was still good. The problem was the room service. You couldn't get clean towels until about 1 PM. The other thing was with our stay, we were allowed 1 day of full service cleaning. We never got that. When we got back to the hotel at 4 PM, there were only towels on the bed. The beds were not made. We usually make them ourselves, but the only day we didn't, they were not made. Other than that, the rates are very good. I'm not sure if we will go back. By the way, our vacation was great!

Stayed: June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
Pa.
Reviewed 30 December 2005

This motel is probably one of the best deals on the beach. If you want to stay in a nice place for a reasonable price, go here. The staff was wonderful, breakfast was tasty, room was clean and a perfect view of the beach. I will be staying here again !!

• Stayed: November 2005