“Not ADA accessible.... Beware !!!!”

Bar Harbor Motor Inn
Ranked #160 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My parents and I stayed at Bar Harbor and requested a handicap room with roll in shower due to an amputee in our party. There was a roll in shower but there was no shower chair in which we had a use a lawn chair. The room was had a huge dresser in which the tv was sitting on and no wheelchair would fit past this to the balcony. Plus the wheelchair would not fit in the bathroom because the door frame was not wide enough. We also encountered the issue of the parking lot. They have only 1 handicapped parking space by 2-3 handicapped rooms in which we were told to park in the basement garage. We went to use the elevator to the first floor where the room was and was informed that Bar Harbor turned the elevator off to the parking garage that sits under the hotel. This was also not handicapped assessible. The person in our party did have a prosthetic leg that he is learning to walk with and so he started up the stairs only to almost fall due to the handrails from the garage up to the first floor was very loose. Should you need a handicapped room and have a person in your party that has handicapped needs do not stay at the Bar Harbor.

1  Thank wvswker

Reviewed 23 August 2014

The appliances were rusted and very dated. The linen had hair all in the bed under the top sheet , blanket, and comforter. I went down stairs it was late and asked for clean linen and front desk told me they will not have linen until 8 am the next morning! I said there is hair in the linen and I'm not leaving front desk until you find me linen! Finally security guard from hotel across the street brought linen. The front desk told me sorry they just pay me to sit here! (Unbelievable)! I turn out the lights to finally get some rest! But turn lights back on to go to bathroom and there were 100's of roaches everywhere in bathroom! Trust me this place looks nothing like the website pics! This place is not worth it! Be sure to double wrap your belongings in garbage bags if you just have to stay there, cause you will be bringing home unwanted guests!

1  Thank mkeasha1
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Michelle was great! She got us in as an early check in, and was very friendly. The rooms are very spacious, and the bed is not hard as a rock like other hotels here in Myrtle Beach! Definitely worth the money spent!

4  Thank Wayne G
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is the first vacation I have ever financed and booked myself, so I was looking for something cheap and walking distance to good restaurants (nothing too fancy). The reviews were kind of off putting but we decided to try it out! We rented a Deluxe King Suite room and were placed in the side building, top floor. I have a feeling we lucked out and got one of the best rooms available. The room was a lot nicer than I expected. The view was so nice! We had floor to ceiling windows and a nice sized deck. You can see through the window from the outside though so don't get too excited haha. There were outlets that didn't work, light switches that weren't connected to anything, and the elevator only worked from the 1st floor not the ground floor. These sorts of things would never fly with me if I had paid more, but overall, it was a great trip for the price. If you do stay, there is a Krispy Kreme and a great raw oyster bar right down the street you can walk to! Give it a try!

4  Thank CoolCoupleo
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I just got back from a 4 night stay at Bar Harbor, After I read the reviews I was worried I made a mistake,,However I can now tell you in a honest opinion the reviews are'nt very truthful,I had a oceanfront on the 6th floor, to be more specific my room number was 603, The room was clean and equipped with a fridge, microwave ,toaster, coffee maker The housekeeper came daily in fact I had to turn her away one day .but she still asked me if i needed anything towels cups etc....As for the bug problem I highly doupt it as one night I devulged myself with a box of salt water taffy and left the wrappers on the table,,,and if they had a bug problem im sure I would have seen one, I did see a large flying beatle but i always left my balc. door open.. As for dirty elevator doors and such...cmon YOU ARE ON THE BEACH there is sand flying through the air constantly.....The only problem i did see was one handicap park spot as someone put a cone in the only one they had,I would have moved it but my wifes feet werent swelled up,IF you do stay here, you can also use the hotel next door lazy river and hottub but they only had 6 rafts and the hottub was'nt hot...also you will have front row seats to the firework display at 2nd ave pier.... Also the hotel is in the middle of all the action,,I am not much into writing reviews but i felt this need be corrected

Room Tip: get a higher level room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank mike r
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

The super 8 about a mile south is cleaner and more reasonably priced. Truly, this place sucks. Broken elevator and the front desk tried to pretend they know nothing about it...and the giant bug...roach or palmetto bug it was still disgusting. Such a disappointment. Never ever again. Old matress, horrible shower, no towels and when I called the front desk to ask to have some brought up was told come and get them...oh ok let me walk down 5 flights of stairs and then back up because the elevator doesn't work to get the towels that should have been in the room to begin with. Awesome. Oh...and check in at 3 was a joke. Seriously just say no.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We were in search of a pet friendly place. I had read some bad reviews so I was worried but we were in a pinch so what the heck. It was very clean. I saw no bugs. Clean pools. Right on the ocean. The only 2 complaints we have are that there is no hot tub and that the housekeeping staff just opened the door instead of knocking first.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family