“Great location and very nice on the inside and outside!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Carolina Winds

Carolina Winds
Ranked #56 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Walhalla, South Carolina
“Great location and very nice on the inside and outside!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

We just recently returned from staying at the Carolina Winds. All in all it was a very nice hotel. The location was excellent and since it was the 4th of July weekend I figured it would be extremely crowded. It was suprisingly not as crowded on the beach as it would have been if we were downtown somewhere. There was always a place to sit by the pool and the kids had plenty of room to play around in the pool. Inside was nice as well. We stayed in room 1009. The room was very clean and there were no stains or any other dirtiness we saw anywhere in the room. The TV's were old and had no audio video jacks so my kids could not play their games. Could have used some updating. The view was great and my oldest son spent a lot of the time sitting on the balcony watching the ocean. The kitchen was fully stocked with utensils and we always had plenty of towels. The maid was efficient in cleaning and did the best when cleaning around the mess my kids had made with their things. The only complaint I have about the room is the beds! Both queen beds felt like you were sleeping on a concrete slab. There was no bounce in either bed and my husband and I had a backache the entire time we were there. My youngest son chose to sleep on the couch instead of in a bed. The staff was very friendly upon check in and check out. The restaurant was open the entire time we were there but it was very pricey. We ate lunch on the last full day of our stay and spent $33 for two orders of chicken tenders and fries, a cheeseburger wrap and chips and a hamburger and fries, plus 4 sodas. We could have gone to a nice sit down restaurant and had dinner for that price. If you are planning a visit to Myrtle Beach, I would definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank donlovesamy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2010

We have stayed at the Carolins Winds just about every year for 20 years. The hotel is getting old but they do a great job of keeping everything in good repair. We love the location, right on the beach and in a quiet section of Myrtle Beach. Great view from the balcony if you stay above the fifth floor. There are some restaurants and a grocery store within walking distance. The staff are friendly and helpful. Many have been there year after year. I'm sure we will be back next year.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Gtoms
chesterfield,va
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2010

We just returned from the Carolina Winds . Stayed from June 20-24th. We were in unit 811. What a wonderful view we had from that angle. We were at the very end of the hall so had a panoramic view of the ocean from there. Have also read on tripadvisor rooms 711 and 911 also had great views and nice rooms. Our room had two queens in the bedroom. Only complaint about the unit is the beds were a little too hard for us. We have a memory foam mattress so everything seems hard to us because of this. In the hallway is a galley kitchen, complete with dish ware, utencils, toaster, stove, microwave, dishtowels and dish soap. They even had steak knives, ladles, pizza cutter, etc. etc, On the other side of the hall is the bathroom. It had a room with the sink and another room with a door that had the toilet and shower. Nice set up so two people can get ready at the same time .

The other room had a pull down double murphy bed and double pull out sofa, table and chairs for 4 people. The murphy bed was great for us as we have two teens of opposite sexes and they could each have their own bed. The balcony overlooking the ocean was beautiful. Exceptional view. We usually stay at the Grand Shores in this type room but they wanted $178 a night. We got ours at Carolina Winds for $107 with booking ahead in march and getting a June discount . Just before we left I saw on their website , that they were offering teachers $10 off per night if you did not have a special with a "free" night. We took advantage of that .

The main oceanside pool is huge and very clean and warm. It goes from 3' to 10' deep.
They also have a large kiddie pool outside and hot tub. The lazy river is across the street at the building with the two bedroom oceanview condos. They also have an outdoor hot tub over there.

Indoors , they have a small 3-4' deep pool(heated) and a small kiddie pool. In another room they have an indoor hot tub, a sauna in the changing rooms for both men and women.

The restaurant was supposed to open the day we left. Sign said they were carrying wraps, burgers, etc. Not sure about breakfast.

All in all a great stay at a great price. Everything was clean and well kept up.

Indoors is another heated pool

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank cindyr222
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2010

Had stayed once before. in June 2009. I called in April 2010 to inquire about room availability. The attendant J.R. answerd the phone and sounded very irritated, not friendly at all. It seem to me that he was becoming even more upset as I was inquiring of the type room I wanted. I asked him to describe the angle oceanfornt room ,he was very short and said to me. well" it not like you need to be a rocket scientist to understand what I'm saying. I told him that he was being rude and he called me an A.H. I asked to speak with the manager and he said too me "I am the manager". I said to him that we will never stay or recommend this resort to any of our friiends , and he said,, that just fine with him and that he would not want people like me there anyway.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank brookea5
Johnson City, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2010

We really enjoyed our second stay at Carolina Winds. The first time was on Labor Day weekend, so there wer more children in the pool. This time we went just before Memorial weekend. It is at the north end of Myrtle Beach, so is a less crowded beach than those right downtown. The pool is large, so plenty of room. The staff is pleasant and friendly. We stayed in an angle ocean front. It was very clean. If you need to get food for the kitchenette, you can walk just 2-3 blocks to cross N. Kings Highway to the Food Lion and on the way can stop at Dunkin Donuts for a coffee! We love it!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank vacationtripmyrtle
Native North Carolinean
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2010

We stayed at this resort for a week in May 2010. Choose this hotel because of all the good reviews. The location is great and the pool area is fantastic. This is a great hotel for families with kids. We have several complaints that I would like to list for fellow travelers: only one hot water heater for the entire hotel, don't plan on taking a hot shower before 8am; the restaurant was closed because they can't find anyone to manage it. We stayed in a one bedroom unit. The wall air conditioner in the bedroom was extremenly loud, making it hard to sleep, maintance looked at it and said it was fine. The bathroom in this one bedroom unit was extremely small for a larger person The light over sink took about 2 minutes to come up to maxiumum intensity. I don't care for mood lighting over a sink in which I shave. The two air conditioners were not enough to keep the middle area on this one bedroom unit cool. The galley kitchen, located in the middle of this room, is right in front of the bathroom. If you cook in the room like we did, this area gets extremely warm. Taking a shower and then sweating afterward is not desirable. These complaints may seem miniscule, but I think our stay at this hotel could have been better.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank watyrcrystal
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2010

The service and views set this hotel apart. My family and I have stayed with Carolina Winds 4 times in the past year. We know that we will get a beautiful room with a wonderful view every time. We enjoy the service we receive from the hotel staff and appreciate the welcoming feel they incorporate into each visit. Every room has an oceanfront view with an outdoor seating area. The hotel is on the beach and has an indoor and outdoor pool. It is also close to shopping, food, and entertainment. This truely is our favorite place away from home.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family