“Nice trip”

Ranked #59 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Fairfax, Virginia
“Nice trip”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My third stay at the BW Carolinian. Always in the smaller tower, I think the rooms are likely a little less fancy than the bigger taller tower. Still an excellent stay for the price I paid.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (597)
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We choose the Best Western Plus, based largely on reviews on this site and I have to say we were very pleased. This resort was very budget friendly and the accomodations were very nice.

I reserved our room only 2 days before our trip directly with the hotel on their website. I had no issues and in the special comments I asked for an upper floor room. We reserved an ocean front room with 2 double beds. I called the next day to make sure that my reservation went through okay and that they had gotten the note about the upper floor room. It was at this time that I was told that we would be in the smaller buiding, as I guess that is the one with the hotel rooms, while the other building has the condos.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I heard this, but I needn't have worried, everything was fine. We arrived at around 2 or 2:30pm on a Saturday afternoon. It was very hard to get into the parking area in front of the hotel because there were so many cars trying to also her in. I got out of the car and went into the lobby to wait in line while my husband sat patiently in the traffic until he could pull in. There were about 3 people in line ahead of me and two people working the front desk, it was a little slow, but once we got to the counter, we were able to get checked right in and get our room key. We were very happy about that considering check in time isn't until 4:00.

We got some of our things and went up to our room, which was on the 9th floor. When we first walked in there was a sort of dingy spot on the wall, but otherwise the room was very nice. Spacious enough for the two of us. Two nice beds , we only slept in the one, but it was comfortable and we had no problems sleeping. There was a nice large size dorm type fridge and a microwave and coffee pot. The fridge and microwave were great for us. Especially the fridge as we planned to eat breakfast and lunch in the room/ at the beach. We had plenty of room for pop, water, yogurt, lunch meat, fruit and snacks. The small freezer sction kept our cooler cold packs cold, but it did seem to drip condensation. We put a small bathroom towel under it and the problem was solved.

The bathroom was updated and clean. The only issue in our room was the toliet sometimes would run and need jiggled. I didn't mind as my home one is the same, but we did tell the front desk when we left, as it might bother some people. What we loved most was our balcony and the amazing view of the Ocean!! It was a fantastic view!! We had breakfast on the balcony every morning, lunch there every afternoon and in the evening we drank wine as we watched the ocean.

The beach was easily accessible. We brought our own beach umbrella and chairs and took them down and set them up every morning. We generally left them there all day, even when we ran up to our room or used the pool. Being right on the beach made it easy to be off and on the beach several times throughout the day. Other people seemed to do this as well.

The pool area was nice, I always found it to be clean. It really wasn't very busy while we were there. In the morning and early afternoon the pools were sometimes empty. They got busier in the afternoon, but never too bad. In the evening sometimes they were completely empty as well. There was a large group of teenage baseball players and their families staying at the hotel as well. They were in the pool one day and being very loud and annoying, but they weren't there long. I actually think they were asked to leave and/or settle down.

The parking garage was easy to access. I wasn't exactly across the street, but it wasn't two blocks away either (as some others have said). There was a parking garage right across the street and then one right behind it, it was the one behind. Not a problem to get too, a very quick walk and we had no issues.

The hotel did mention the restaurant down the block with the discount for breakfast, the free afternoon minigolf right across the street and the free water park tickets, but we didn't utilize any of that while we were there. We were ther for less than a week and so we just didn't have time.

While I wouldn't call this hotel one that says "romantic getaway" - it was very nice and my husband and I had a great time. Sometimes romantic is what you make it and we were very happy walking on the beach holding hands in the evening after a nice dinner out. I would certainly recommend this hotel to others. It is not 4 star, but it is very clean and it is an updated hotel (flatscreen TV - although we never watched it). We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank love2travel220
Noblesville, Indiana
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Located Right on the Beach!
First of all...Thank you Jen for upgrading us to an Ocean View Suite with Kitchen & Sleeper Sofa at no extra cost. The beds were comfortable and the room/kitchen/bath/TV area's were clean. It was nice to be able to roll out of bed and scramble some eggs and have some coffee. Like wise it was great to come back to a room where we could just relax a little after the days activities.
The Pools were nice and the water was even cool and refreshing especially in the HOT weather. The Hot Tub was hot as it should be and very relaxing. Great Italian Ice right there at poolside.

Room Tip: If booking through Hotels.com just call the Hotel directly and they will price match. Or get a prin...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Chief2Punks
Jersey Shore
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Hotel was very nice with an accommodating staff, good location and great views from the balcony. The lazy river and 2 pools were a big hit with the kids. Being oceanfront was also great especially for our nightly walks on the beach with glow sticks in hand. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jakesmommy2003
Reviewed 24 July 2011

This is a nice place to stay. The hotel consists of 2 buildings. One is a new building with condos and bigger rooms and the other is an older building with efficiency rooms in it. The first looks better because it’s newer. The older building is still nice but not as nice. The room we were in was very clean and the room service crew was very attentive. The front desk was decent, but some people looked like they were tired of answering questions and they weren’t as nice as they should be. I still got my info, but not with the great smile you expect. This was nothing really annoying so I would really recommend this hotel if you are to stay in MB.
The breakfast that comes free with the room at Magnolia restaurant is horrible. That restaurant only serves high calorie, fattening food like bad tasting scrambled eggs, really greasy sausage and bacon and some other interesting high calorie/pure fat options. The only thing my Family was able to eat there was the waffles that you make yourself. The good thing is that you don’t have to eat there and you can have breakfast elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the higher tower.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank rafcio53
beachbumz6000, Oceana Representative at Carolinian Beach Resort, responded to this review, 25 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am happy that you found our resort to be a nice place to stay. The main different between the two building is the small one has standards room, no separate bedroom and no kitchen. The other building has those items in their rooms. I am sorry if the staff didn’t seem to enthusiastic about you being there. Let me assure that they were happy to see you come and stay with us. I hope that you will come back and stay with us the next time you visit the Grand Strand.

Chapin, SC
Reviewed 22 July 2011

This resort was by far the cleanest and friendliest place we have stayed at Myrtle Beach. Check-in was a breeze and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was exceptional for the price. Everything was clean and well maintained. The pool and lazy river are a bit smaller than other resorts but were never overly crowded.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Feroxx
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am pleased to read that you found our resort to be the best place to ever stay. I am glad that our resort is the cleanest that you have stayed in and that our staff is the friendliest. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon.

Central OH
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We only stayed here for a night. We apparently arrived at a busy time as the check-in staff was pleasant, but abrupt. We had recently stayed at a couple of smaller historic hotels, so the change to a very large hotel was a bit of shock. It appears there were two sides to the resort and our room was on the older side. The elevators were always busy (the ice machine, vending, laundry were on the third floor) and sounded like they had been around the block a few times. The housekeeping staff was always on the move with carts, so we found it typically faster to walk down six flights of stairs rather than wait for an elevator with room.

We booked an oceanfront room with a balcony. The little table on the balcony was filthy and had obviously been part of the smoking lounge for an earlier guest, but the chairs were clean. There are signs that it is a non-smoking resort, but apparently balconies are the exception. One of the surrounding balconies had a pipe smoker and we were directly above the swimming pool. It was very loud, but they did clear everyone out at 11 PM as promised. It was just a late night since we wanted to get up and watch the sunrise. The pipe smoke was a bummer since it totally killed any smell of the ocean.

The room itself was clean, good sized and had a fridge and microwave. There were some rough edges (chipped trim, unpainted patches on the door).

Beach access was easy - right out the hotel. Parking was in a garage across the street. We didn't try any of the swimming pools.

I don't have any comparison to other Myrtle Beach properties, so this might be one of the best choices available. The whole experience made us think we would probably enjoy some place other than Myrtle Beach (less commercial) if we decide to spend more time at the beach.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad that you came and stayed with us for one night and that you found your room to be a good size and clean. The whole resort is non smoking and anyone found smoking in their room, including the balcony, is subject to a cleaning fee. I hope that you will give Myrtle Beach another chance the next time you are in the area.