“Terribly Unhappy”

Ranked #58 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Florence
“Terribly Unhappy”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I previously came down and toured this hotel facility and I was very impressed. However, when I booked my room and went down to stay this weekend, I received the worst room ever to stay in (room 1933). The carpet down the hall near the wash room and kitchen was coming up in from the floor/wall in two different places. The curtains in the living room were ruined. The curtains were raggedy/snagged severely. The curtains had several holes in them and the hem was unravelling. In the kitchen most of the cabinet doors were raggedy, peeling and they had the nerve to put tape on one of them. The stove door was rusty. And they could not move me to another room of the same type because they were booked solid. This is worst hotel I have ever stayed at.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

OceanaResorts, Marketing Coordinator at Carolinian Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Best Western Plus Carolinian. All of our units are individually owned, and we have guidelines for our homeowners to follow regarding upkeep of their rooms. We apologize that the condition of the room you booked did not meet your standards, and we have contacted this homeowner in order to rectify the situation. We also apologize that this room type was fully booked; if a guest has an issue with their room and we have others available, we will gladly move them to a more satisfactory room. We do hope that you will give us another chance during your next trip to Myrtle Beach.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Pros
Free breakfast
Free putt putt
View of the ocean is lovely

Cons
The room
The service
Wi-Fi didn't work in my room much

Details
First, I would like to point out the customer service here leaves a lot to be desired.

I personally called about the Wi-Fi not working and was told to stand near a window.

We came for my mother's birthday. She had come up here prior to this weekend and was shown a sample room. Apparently that room was updated already. The room we got on the other hand....
- carpet was worn and in some places ripped
- cabinets in the kitchen were peeling bad in several spots and in one spot their solution was to put tape on it.
- paint needed to be retouched in several areas

When my mom saw the room, she called downstairs about 15 mins after checking in to express her displeasure. She was told they were sold out and then they said they could show her another room. That room was not the same as the room we had. It was smaller and offered less amenities so obviously it wasn't going to work. I was not on the phone call so I don't know verbatim what happened but I do know she was not made happy and I believe on your birthday you should definitely be happy. We ended up staying in our original room and making the best of it but I know for sure we will not be returning to this hotel.

Honestly, this is not a bad hotel if you just want a place to lay your head. But if you are looking for somewhere nice to stay, I would suggest you keep looking. They put lipstick on the pig (meaning the place looks nice overall) but when you get inside the room, it's still a pig.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review the Best Western Plus Carolinian. We are glad that you enjoyed the free breakfast and the free mini golf. At this hotel, all of the units are individually owned, and we have guidelines for our homeowners to follow regarding upkeep of their rooms. We apologize that the condition of the room you booked did not meet your standards, and we have contacted this homeowner in order to rectify the situation. We also apologize that this room type was fully booked; if a guest has an issue with their room and we have others available, we will gladly move them to a room that is more satisfactory. We do hope that you will give us another chance during your next trip to Myrtle Beach.
Fort Campbell, Kentucky
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We are always SATISFIED with the Best Western Carolinian. We love the friendly staff, the rooms are always clean. The rooms are stocked with pots/pans, washer/dryer, toaster, dishes, towels, sheets. (no need to bring lots of extra stuff). The pool area is the best on the strip. It is in walking distance to lots of places to eat, shopping. it is very close to Broadway at the Beach/ Mall/ Walmart.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Overall, this was a nice hotel. My family stayed for 4 days. The room was a nice size. There was a nice full kitchen that was well stocked. The housekeeping did a nice job of cleaning the room. The staff was very pleasant at the front desk.

Negatives: The mattress was very hard and uncomfortable. The hotel was renovating a room next door to mine and I had to listen to the construction until 8:30pm every night. It is hard at times to get in touch with the front desk staff. They rarely answer the phone.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Upon arrival they assist you in getting you check-in, then they notify you of all the accommodation of the hotel. The attractions nearby that you can use your oceana resort card and recieve discounts. The room service is friendly and thorough. The rooms were well stock and clean according to what was stated on the website features. Overall they have good service and rooms. Customer service is available to assist you at time.

• Stayed April 2014
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We have stayed here before and were satisfied. The room was clean. There were no problems with check-in or check-out. A breakfast was provided that was not on our previous visit. no complaints that required notifying the front desk.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Morganton, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I booked and paid for a 3 bedroom suite. I got a a 2 bedroom suite! First the hotel manager said I was not due anything. After an hour of complaining I was told I could pay more money for another some where else in the hotel for my ailing grandmother. This was beyond unacceptable! And I never got a refund for my over charging. All the staff with the exception of maid services was beyond rude!

I was guaranteed a 3pm check in. I didn't get into my room until after 5pm. When I the bag boy was told that my room was not ready he threw all of my belongings off the rack! Including my WEDDING DRESS! When my room was ready the bay boy was no where in site and I had to carry everything my self!

I was never given my welcome package. Everyday I had to have my card fix because it was not working. They charged me $10 to get my meal ticket that I should have gotten in my welcome packet. I will never stay here again!

Room Tip: Anywhere else would be better!
2 Thank LisaH41914
OceanaResorts, Marketing Coordinator at Carolinian Beach Resort, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Best Western Plus Carolinian. We would like to apologize for not having your room ready at check in time. Our standard check in time is 4:00 and unfortunately, the room was not ready for you when it should have been. We are sorry for any miscommunication regarding the room type, but the room booked was a two bedroom suite and the amount charged was for a two bedroom suite. We are also sorry that the discounted room we offered for your other guests was not sufficient. Contrary to your review, we did not charge for a replacement breakfast ticket. Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope that you will give us another chance during your next stay in Myrtle Beach.