“Worst hotel ever”

Ranked #59 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Charlotte, NC
“Worst hotel ever”
Reviewed 24 August 2009

This is the worst hotel we have ever stay in. I went there with my family and the room was not worth the price we paid. they gave us a room next to the ice machine and the laundry room. The carpet in the room was so nasty, my 9 month old baby couldn't crawl. The pools were really dirty and the guests staying at this place... low low class. This should be a 1 star hotel if that. Do not stay there!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
beachbumz6000, Oceana Representative at Carolinian Beach Resort, responded to this review, 25 August 2009
Thank you for writing a review. I would like to apologize since you were given a room that was next to the laundry and ice machine and that the carpets were dirty. I do know that we are in the process of getting all the carpets clean in the resort and I hope that you informed the front desk of your dislike of the room and that they were able to relocate you to something else that suited your needs. I hope that you will give us another chance in the future.

Autumm Fenstermacher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
Salisbury, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 August 2009

I have been visiting the Grand Strand for over 25 years, and My stay at the Best Western Carolinian Beach Resort was by far my most satisfying !!
The service was second to none...EVERYONE there always greeted you with a smile, was positive, and eager to ensure you were satisfied.
The room was spotless, and so warm and inviting, coming back to the room was a GREAT way to end a long, fun filled day !!
The location was perfect, close to many of my favorite restaurants, and ( of course ) right on the ocean !! Being within walking distance of the center of Myrtle allowed for pleasurable walks in the evening.
The most enjoyable experience of my stay at the Best Western Carolinian resort was by far, the wonderful staff. Always seeing a smiling face makes your stay that much more enjoyable !!
I would have to say, I really can't think of anything negative to say, period !! O.K., maybe the fact that the pools were really crowded, but that's to be expected, when you stay at such a WONDERFUL establishment !!
My compliments to the management and staff, for your excellent service, your wonderful Hotel is now my first choice when I plan my beach trips ( and I DO tend to visit rather frequently !! )

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
beachbumz6000, Oceana Representative at Carolinian Beach Resort, responded to this review, 24 August 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased to read that you found the resort to be the most satisfying and that the service was second to none. I am glad that the staff was always positive and eager to help and that you enjoyed the location of the resort since it is located near many of your favorite things to do. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon.

Knoxville, TN
Reviewed 22 August 2009

This place is a pretty nice place to stay at.We booked it on bookit.com and got a buy one nite get one free.We ended up getting a oceanfront room with a private balconoy for $69 a nite.If I was going to pay full price for a room I proabaly would have stayed somewhere else. This hotel was pretty nice though.It is in a very good location, and don't really have anything bad to say about it other than the fact you have to park your car a block away and walk to the hotel, so if you forget something in the car it's a pain to go get it.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review. I am glad that you got such a great deal to stay with us and that you found the resort to be nice. I hope that the next time you are in the area you will stay with us again.

Milwaukee
Reviewed 22 August 2009

The hotel staff went well above the call of duty to turn what started out as a self-made disaster into a wonderful time. From now on, every hotel we visit will be compared to the Carolinian. Here's the story:
First of all, we are experienced travelers. But we slapped together this trip at the last minute, so we didn't do the best planning. We flew into Myrtle Beach early in the day and had hoped to rent a car at the airport and go site seeing before checking in for a one-week stay. But I messed up on the car rental arrangements, and no cars were available. We took a cab to the hotel, then we couldn't find a car to rent through the hotel lobby computer. It looked like we were going to be stuck in the hotel lobby for close to four hours before our room was ready. When the hotel manager (Ray Harter) saw that we were stranded, he got on the phone with a car rental agency, and "called in a favor" with them to get us a car that would be ready in about 20 minutes. He drove us there in his own car over his lunch hour, and made sure we got properly taken care of.
When we finally got to the room, we learned my wife had misunderstood the room descriptions, and didn't book a room with an ocean front view, which is what we wanted. She went down to see if we could get a room with a nicer view. The clerk (Roxy) knew we had gotten off to a rough start, so she gave us the best room she had available, at no extra cost. The room was phenomenal! We ended up with great ocean front view, very spacious room, very comfortable. It had a kitchen, which we didn't think we would use, but we ended up using quite a bit.
Roxy and the manager each called us later, to make sure everything was to our satisfaction, which it most definitely was. Every time we stopped at the front desk, they were very friendly and helpful. We also observed them with other guests, and noticed how they seemed to treat everyone equally well.
Roxy, Ray, and everyone else who worked there could have just shown us the "routine" level of courtesy and that would have been enough. But they went out of their way to help us, even though we were the ones who messed up. They were extraordinarily friendly, helpful and gave us great info on where to go to make the most of our vacation.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank milsnowbird
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am happy that the staff was able to help you during some stressful situations. I am glad that the room you received was very spacious and comfortable. I will pass on your kind words regarding Roxy to her boss so she can be recognized for a job well done and I will send your comments to Mr. Harter so he can read just how much you appreciated all of his help. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon.

Cincinnati
Reviewed 20 August 2009

We were vacationing for a week with a total of 10, including 2 teenage boys and their 4 younger (9-11) cousins. We had 2 adjoining oceanfront suites in the tower building that were absolutely clean, well furnished, and big enough for everyone to have their own "space." Richard and Tania at the front desk were exceptionally pleasant, professional, and helpful whenever we had a question or a request. We also liked the service staff--from Mary in maintenance to the daily housekeepers to the young men who cheerfully helped us unload our cars and transport our luggage and almost-daily grocery shopping to the rooms. Checking in and getting settled was a no-hassle experience! The kids had a great time at the beach and the pools; and the adults were able to enjoy and relax too. Parking was never a problem; the garage is a small block away but always had plenty of space. The hotel itself is within walking distance of several good restaurants.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad that everyone in your party had enough space for themselves in your suite and that you found the room to be clean and well furnished. I will pass on your kind words about Richard and Tonia to their boss so they can be recognized for a job well done. I am happy that you were able to get around to some of the local restaurants in the area. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon.

giannina1278
Reviewed 19 August 2009

I stayed here with the family for 3 nights and I must say we will be back every year! the view is amazing ocean from to bedroom with 2 bathroom! I have been to many of beaches I must stay this hotel is by far the best and the prices are great.... its in the perfect location too!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
beachbumz6000, Oceana Representative at Carolinian Beach Resort, responded to this review, 20 August 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased to read that you found the location to be perfect and that the view was amazing from your room. We are looking forward to seeing you again next time you are in the area.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 19 August 2009

I can only speak for our room - it was a 2 bedroom suite, 2 full bath on 10th floor, ocean front. Absolutely fantastic !!!! All amenities of home, fridge, micro, stove, washer/dryer, 3 wide screen tv's in every room, very large and defiintely worth the money, plus they matched a price we found online at another oceanfront hotel, same dates, so we saved $200 more. Swimming pools were maintained daily, room service was always around doing their tasks, lazy river was very small, but we did not use it anyway. The area of the hotel was safe and very well maintained, it was about 3 - 4 blocks away from where all the little shops were in "downtown Myrtle" and you "could walk" (maybe 10-15 minutes), but we had rented a car. I do not have one bad thing to say about this hotel. Sometimes when you go to hotels in the south they are "moist feeling" inside/mildew smell, but this room/hotel must have had a great ac/humidifier system, as the rooms smelled wonderful all the time.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased to read that you found the room you stayed in to be fanatic and that the swimming pools were well maintained. I am glad that you were able to get to downtown Myrtle Beach and enjoy some of the shops. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon.