“Old and Outdated”

Ranked #20 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Pickerington, Ohio
“Old and Outdated”
Reviewed 27 August 2012

This was our 3rd year at the Grande Shores. We stayed in a 3 bedroom condo. 1ST: Do not be deceived by the pictures of the rooms. They are sssooooo old. Everything in the rooms are old, faded and dirty looking. Our condo was the same old, faded bedding, old wallpaper which was coming off the walls in places and torn dirt in corners of bathrooms, kitchen and living area. 2nd: The flooring was tile which was chipped, dirt and scuff marks all over. The main bathroom had a square toilet seat on an oval toilet. The master bath had a light bulb burned out, toilet ran the whole time so the toilet wouldn't flush. Both baths had glass sliding doors with dirt in the track.(so gross) The entrance door stuck every time we tried to enter. My friend stayed there in 2005 and when she stopped over she was shocked at the fact they had not updated at all. It was the same as when she stayed there 7 yrs prior. 3rd: The outside was painted so you think oh they have updated...NOPE!! Out of the 4 whirlpools, 2 worked. They just had water sitting in the 2 that didn't work. When we were there last year that same whirlpool didn't work then. They still had not fixed it. I get newsletters from Grande Shores and they talk about how they are working and getting the place all ready for guest so I'm thinking they are renovating the rooms. Wrong again!!!! We are not going back to Grande Shores. If they clean up and update then we will consider it but not until. Our cost to stay there was around $2000. Not worth it at all!!!

1 Thank Mkzornes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
Goose Creek, South Carolina
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We really enjoyed your indoor and outdoor swimming pools. They were kept cleaned and nice. We arrived at around 11 pm and everything was well lit and nice outside. Your property were very visible. We felt safe and very friendly right away. We had an Ocean Front room on the 6th floor, so we enjoyed the closed up and awsome view and noise of the ocean, in fact all that time we left the door to the balcony open so that we can enjoy the ocean breeze. Next chance we will come back and stay here again. Would recommend our friends to stay at Grand Shore Resort.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2012

My daughter and I booked a room at the Grande Shore Ocean Resort August 20-22 through priceline. After reading the reviews, I was a bit worried about the stay. Check-in was quick enough. But, there were fees that we were not told about on priceline....a resort fee. The hotel is a 70's looking place. The corridors are not the cleanest. Upon arrival in our room we found it to have a strong "cleaning supply" smell. It was almost as if they were trying to mask another smell. The main room was clean...the bathroom was not the cleanest in the world with hairs on the floor and in the tub. The towels and wash cloths were stained with what appeared to be paint. The walls were paper thin as we heard our neighbors constantly. There was also about an inch and a half gap between the door and door frame. I was worried about what type of creatures may crawl in the room. One interesting happening...on our second day there, my daughter and I went shopping at the outlets and were gone all day long. When we returned, there was a french fry lying in the middle of our hotel room floor. We had not had any fries in the room at all..so it could've only been left by a cleaner. It was quite odd and perplexing.

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean front room. The location was nice as it was next to a residential area.
Hickory, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We have stayed here several times and we are always happy! The rooms are a good size, clean, and well organized. The outdoor pools and lazy rivers - there are two sets - are heated! We love floating in the lazy river on the 7th floor, with the awesome view of the ocean! It is close to everything, including really great restaurants, shopping, and fun. The staff are courteous and helpful - and fast. I love the little things - like the lady at the poolside bar remembering that my son likes extra cherries in his smoothie - and giving him 3 (or more)! I'd highly recommend staying here....again and again!

Room Tip: We like the North ocean view - it's breathtaking!
Columbia, SC
Reviewed 19 August 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel this past weekend. Upon arrive it was very nice, the environment looked safe, and the staff was very helpful. We asked for a room that faced the ocean and we were given an oceanview which was not bad at all. We actually upgraded from a 2 bed to a one bedroom condo. The staff informed us that the condos were privately owned and it slept 8 people, which would be great for a family of five. The price was great for a condo so I thought. The parking garage was very tight and a tad bit dangerous when moving up the levels. While driving through the parking garage the hotel itself looks like an old hooker hotel. The hallways are very dirty and smelly. I am sure from people walking around with wet swimsuits. The elevators are very small. The room itself was VERY disappointing. For a condo I expected much better. When walking in there are two full sized beds with a 19 inch television on a narrow dresser, then you walk into a small kitchenette and a very closenet bathroom across from it. Then walking straight ahead is a small livingroom/dining room combo with a 2 seater couch that lets out into a bed and a bed that folds into the wall. The old wallpaper is peeling off the walls, the furniture is outdated, the bathroom is very outdated, although they did have a nice sized clean shower. The balcony is the worst. If you are sitting on the balcony you're neighbor is literally looking in your face there is absolutely ZERO privacy. Sitting in our living room we could hear every conversation our neighbors had. The neighbor can literally walk from their balcony onto yours and the people above. You can look up and their they are looking down at you. The balcony situation is VERY unsafe. Now I see why they have double locks for your sliding patio door. Everytime we used the bathroom we had to plunge the toilet. The telephone was not hooked up (thank god for cell phones), the carpet felt wet, and the wallpaper was disguisting. The iron is locked to the ironing board, so if you want to iron a pair of pants you will not be able to stretch them out.

I will say the only thing I did like was that we were seconds away from restaurants, the view from our room was fantastic, the beach was right there, there was an onsite bar (although it closed at 11), and the staff was nice. I am certain I will never use this hotel again. But then I have to be realistic this is what you get when you get a hotel on the beach with millions of people visiting weekly, but if they are individually owned are the owners notified that they are in need of upgrading?!

Room Tip: Do not get the 1 bed room condo unless you are here for partying I would find something else.
1 Thank tt31_smith81
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Great place for family fun. Nice pools and poolside grill. The staff is friendly and the resort is very clean. If you need additional linens they are delivered quickly and the staff always greets you with a smile. The resort is conveniently located to everything, only minutes from Barefoot Landing, Tanger Outlets and downtown Myrtle Beach.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

-no towels at pool
-I was told I would not get maid service for a 2-night stay, but a member of the housekeeping staff knocked on our door and asked me to initial a piece of paper saying I was denying housekeeping
-confirmation email stated our room had s full-sized fridge...nope
-smoking allowed in breezeways in front of elevators--ugh!
-onside restaurant left a lot to be desired, but 2 blocks away is the main drag with lots of options
-beach has lifeguard on duty!
-quick drive down to south Myrtle
-felt safe & secure, despite room opening up to parking deck:(
-staff were generally friendly and helpful, but didn't go the extra mile
-great family-friendly place for cheap getaway

• Stayed August 2012