“enjoyable stay”

Ranked #25 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
New Jersey
“enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2008

The rooms were in good shape. The view down the beach was exquisite. The staff was friendly and the conceirge was very helpful in giving us directions and showing us all the "hot spots" in the area. The parking deck seemed a little dangerous as cars narrowly miss you as you turn up/down each ramp. There was construction going on which made travelling down the street alongside the hotel a little hectic but the construction was not too noisy and didn't hamper our stay much.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dluxx909

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2008

Three of us stayed at Grande Shores as part of a golf package. The package price through the hotel turned out to be cheaper than the golf companies we had been working with. We reserved a one bedroom room with two queens and a pullout, but were pleasantly surprised to find a two bedroom, two bath suite. The room was large, and while not the most stylish, it was clean and functional.

We used the seventh floor pool and hot tub many times, and never had a problem with crowds, although not all of the four hot tubs were functioning. The hotel is designed a little odd, and the front of our room looked out at a parking garage, although we had a view of the ocean from the back bedroom.

Location was great, within walking distance to restaurants and shops. The only downside was the golf courses we played at were a 35 minute drive, but we ended up with such a good deal that we could overlook that.

We will definitely look at Grande Shores for next years' trip.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank sschristie
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2008

I took a short weekend trip with my Mom and sisters and stayed at the Grande Shores resort. We stayed in room 107 right by the oceanfront pool. Our balcony opened up right at the pool. It was very nice to be able to come and go into our room as needed. The room was very clean, spacious and modern looking. The beds slept pretty good but the pillows left something to be desired. ..way too flat for all of our tastes. So remember to bring your own pillow. The oceanfront pool and lazy river were heated. We never used the 7th floor pool, hot tubs, lazy river or indoor pool. They all look very nice though. I loved that they offered pool towels at the front desk for your useage,

We enjoyed the grill out by the oceanfront pool. They served hamburgers, hot dogs, salads, chicken sandwiches, and chips for a reasonable price. The bar by the pool had alcoholic beverages as well as non-alcoholic and sold chips and nachos and cheese. Plenty of vending machines were available.

The front desk staff were very friendly. The only complaint I had was that our room wasn't ready when we checked in and they took my cell phone number and said they would call when it was ready but I never received a call. We finally went back about 5pm and it was ready.

The hotel appeared clean at all times, you constantly noticed the cleaning staff around various areas sweeping, vacuuming, etc so they were quite tidy. There was construction happening in front of the hotel by the road so the construction vehicles and equipment seemed to take up a lot of the road during the day. Made it difficult to drive through them and the people walking down the road since it was cut down to one lane for most of the day...but that's progress and you do have to put up with it sometimes.

We will be staying at Grande Shores again at the end of May in a bigger room with my husband and kids so I will write another review. My parents have reserved a 3 bedroom condo at the end of May so we will review that as well.

• Liked — Clean, spacious, modern looking, lots of pools, etc
  • Disliked — Pillows, pool closing early
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank deb_nc1971
East Coast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2008

When I looked at this hotel on the internet, I was very impressed with the pictures. I did not do much research since this was the first hotel that popped up. Bad mistake. This was my first time to Myrtle Beach and I did know anyone who could have referred to another hotel. I booked the room and spoke to someone who was very pleasant on the phone. I was very excited to arrive and see that the hotel was so close to the beach and since the room was over $100.00 per night I just knew that it would be great. When we walked into the lobby the lady behind the desk looked at us like we were homeless and begging for food. She appeared to be racist because she did not give me eye contact nor did she hand me back my items, she just put them on the desk. I ignored that. When we got to the Pent House condo, it smelled moldy and wet. I figured that must have been because it was a smoking room but I have been to other smoking rooms in hotels that did not smell this way. Anyway, we went into the entertainment room and the light fixture above the dining room take was full of bugs and dirt. The carpet was very dirty. The cleaning staff person was friendly and did a good job but I did not like the way she knocked on the door but did not wait for us to answer before barging in. Luckily we always use the security lock. We needed to use the internet that would not connect. When we called the desk about this, we were told that someone would be up to assist us. Well dumb me, I thought it would be someone that could actually help. This young man did not even know how to get on the internet and tried to tell me some lame story about why we did not have wireless service. After I corrected him, he admitted to not knowing a thing about computers. We later learned that he was the techman/garbage man/handyman etc. When we spoke to the same rude person that check us in, we told her that we could connect on the balcony but on this day it was very foggy out which would have damage our systems and there was no way that two people could sit out there because it so small. Well the desk person say "well at least you can get service on the balcony". I was offended by this statement because it showed absolutely no regard for us as customers. The front desk night manager was also very rude and indicated that she had spoked to the IT person and was told that the fog was the reason for the poor internet service but if we could connect on the balcony in the fog, why not the room? I made several other complaints and was told that someone would be sent to assist but they sent the same person to the room who could not help the day before. I was very frustrated by this but did not get upset with the young man because it was not his fault that he was being used and besides he was very nice. As I look at all of the reviews from other people, the main concern is the night staff which works from 4pm-12am. Obviously, Grand Shores should consider this problem. In addition, the next concern is the almost substandard conditions of the room. I will certainly do some extensive research before staying in myrtle beach again and for the lady who thought that she was the only one with a terrible room, she was wrong.

• Liked — Great view of the beach
  • Disliked — Terrible night staff service
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
MBlocalSince93, General Manager at Grande Shores Ocean Resort, responded to this review, 3 May 2008
Grande Shores has many return guests due to our cleanliness and customer service standards. The majority of our comments on this site commend the staff on their service standards and the resort for its cleanliness and attention to customer service.

We offer both wireless and high-speed Internet service. Wireless Internet service in the resort may not be as strong in all areas due to concrete wall construction and location. If a guest cannot connect to our wireless service, we offer Internet cables for connection to high-speed access. When a guest cannot connect to the Internet, our staff is trained to take our own laptop to the room and test the service. If the resort’s laptop can connect, it may be that the guest’s laptop settings prevent connection. Our in-house staff cannot take responsibility for the guest’s laptop settings and so we then offer a professional technical service that will come to the resort and provide service for a fee. It is not unusual for a staff member of the resort to take care of all calls during the course of their duties, from keeping the resort free of trash to assisting with Internet connections to responding appropriately to emergencies that may arise.

Upon personal inspection of the unit, we did not find the light fixture or carpet was soiled, and we did find the unit was in excellent condition in both maintenance and cleanliness. In going back through our daily logs for housekeeping and maintenance service requests, we found no other complaints of this type for this unit.

We apologize to this guest if we were not able to meet and exceed this guest’s expectations.

Paula Davis
KingstonON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2008

Once again we had the opportunity to stay at "The Grande Shores Ocean Resort" for three months over the winter, January through end March,2008.
We were greeted on our 30 Dec 08 to find the regular staff of previous years along with some new faces.Thanks to Anastazia, desk Clerk then and now a valued member of "The Golf Package" group made our arrival and move in as expedient as you would expect. The Grande Shores still has a very courteous and professional Staff willing to do their utmost to make your stay at the resort as comfortable and accommadating as possible within their means.Day Manager Mitchall and night manager and "Snowbird entertainment co-ordinator Jenna have prevailed through renovation and cancellation problems to ensure our stay to be as always, exceptional.We are pleased and thankful for their efforts.

As in previous stays at the resort, it took very little time to become acquainted with new staff and reuniting with the continuing personel.The resort management/staff has somewhat remained with the main desk with Trudy and introducing Erin,Amie,Wendy and Brian. Celeste still manages the best housekeeping group in the business. Maintenance Staff, Derek, Tony and Anthony do some great work and are there when needed.Shoreline Cafe and bar which has experienced a change, Manager Jeannie remained from last year. A fine pair of ace bartenders Eric and new face Nina,our host for "Nina's ADULT Day Care" as she has come to identify us regular US and Canadian Snowbirds, Eh! They combined to make our "Happy Hours",evening meal and after dinner chaos both fun and very enjoyable especially over the February period when the crowd of northern rejects escalated to around 20 couples.

Manager Paula Davis and very involved Night Manager Jenna have once again kept us"Snowbirds"busy and active.By getting us older folk meeting,gaming and having fun together as a group,gave us an opportunity to meet many new and exciting people, Thanks,Paula and Jenna for allowing us the freedom to utilize the conference room for our Monday nights and special selected events.

Our stay at the resort was set aback a bit this year due to the expected but uncertain closure of the hotel rooms, outside ground floor and 7th floor pools and hottubs for repairs mid February. All was back in order for the final two weeks of our stay in March. We know the Management and staff were very sorry to see clients dissapointed and tried their utmost to reverse the situation as soon as possible.

Thank You! Paula and Staff of Grande Shores.Keep up the good work! You know we are coming back in larger numbers and look forward to seeing you all come 30 December,2009.

2 Thank Canuck677
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2008

We visited Grande Shores on spring break this year (2008) and it was our first trip to MB as a family. We have three children of elementary school age and it was their first trip to the beach that they will actually remember when they grow up. So I really wanted it to be special. I did a lot of research on Trip Advisor and looked at a lot of hotel websites. I was looking for the best combination of price, location, and ammenities.

I finally settled on Grande Shores. I enjoyed reading the reviews on the Trip Advisor and was impressed with the answers I had recieved when I called with questions. They also seemed to have what we were looking for accomodations wise. A private bedroom with King bed for me and my wife, a full kitchen, and a separate room with tv and beds for the kids. Add in an ocean view and beach access right off the lobby and we were sold.

All in all, they delivered on everything we had read. The resort isn't the fanciest in Myrtle Beach, but it delivers on every level. The kids loved being next to the beach and enjoyed the view from our walk out porch. The beds were more comfortable than the Red Roof Inn and Hampton Inn we stayed at on the way down, so that was impressive.

They are located a little on the north side of MB and away from the more touristy boardwalks and such, but we had everything we needed right in our area. Plenty of restaurants, shops, and such. And it was a short 10 min drive to the larger attractions.

We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to anyone. We will definitely lookup Grande Shores again next time we visit Myrtle Beach.

• Liked — Full kitchen and private King suite.
  • Disliked — Internet was a little flaky and slow at times.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank Stryker927
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2008

I made 30 destination trips last year around the USA.
In 2008, I am limiting my travel to places and people, who made my visits enjoyable, so I could make them memorable.

Nowhere (except maybe the Ritz in Dearborn and Loew's in Las Vegas) compares to the location and service received at the Grande Shores Ocean Resort. I have stayed here for years (3X in 2007), but the view and service continues to improve.
It's like coming home!

The fact that their front desk/customer service employees are consistently service focused, well-dressed, knowledgable and responsive to me (their customer), gives an indication of managements commmitment to support, train and improve the service these employees provide.

Simple, clean, well-maintained, affordable, with a view only God could design, for me to appreciate!

3 pieces to the perfect puzzle in traveling are People who provide Service, Property location and condition and Price.

Grande Shores Ocean Resort fit all 3 puzzle pieces!

Thank you!

PJCorsi, Michigan

• Liked — Privacy, security at night.
  • Disliked — Golfers on whirlpool level (7th floor) hogging whirlpool at night.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo