“Single rooms are terrible, multi-room suites are okay”

Grande Shores Ocean Resort
Ranked #16 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 7 August 2009

If you are planning on staying at The Grande Shores then only book one of the multi-room suites. There is a world of difference between the multi-room suites and single rooms. The single room we had contained a refridgerator that froze everything (regardless of what setting you placed it on), a ceiling that was peeling and had water damage, a television that was splattered with paint speckles, a door that would only open if you pulled UP on the handle after inserting the key, and was basically run down and in desperate need of repair. The multi-room suites that the rest of our group booked were pretty nice and in much better condition, although they were a bit "dated" as far as the decor. Also, the elevators are terrible (plan on a wait because they're so slow, they are extremely hot, and they really needed to be cleaned). The pool area was nice but 2 of the 4 hot tubs would not work. Based all of this and the single room experience, I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone, especially when the price wasn't all that great either.

• Stayed: August 2009

Reviewed 6 August 2009

We spent seven nights at the Grande Shores and everything was outstanding! My specific reservation was honored, the efficiency was especially clean and the beds slept great! The pool side grill was very tasty and reasonable; Antonio can really cook up a ribeye sandwich! The maid was exceptional! Each day she did a thorough job, never cutting corners, left plenty of towels and supplies! The service of all staff was pleasing, the views were beautiful and everything was clean, even the elevators!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2009

We just got home from our first trip to Myrtle Beach, I read the reviews on here prior to our booking and found that for the most part they were pretty good. When we arrived at the hotel we had to wait to check as we arrived early. We were told that we were welcome to use the amenities until our room was ready. We changed and headed for the beach. This was a bit uncomfortable because we hadn't any towels or anything but it worked out. We finally got our room and headed up. We had ocean front room with a kitchen. I wasn't happy about being on the 3rd floor but the hotel was booked and we weren't able to relocate. As it turned out the room was great. We added another night to our trip and because it was after the initial booking we weren't able to stay in the same room. We ended up staying in a condo for one night that was an ocean view. It was a beautiful room!!! The view was even better then the ocean front one! As one other reviewer wrote, If your looking for 5 star this isn't it! But if your looking for cost efficient, and clean then this hotel will work for you. The rooms were clean and bright. The housekeeping staff although didn't speak english very well, were very pleasant and got the gist of it when we asked for extra towels etc.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2009

This place is very run down and outdated. I knew it was an older buidling before I booked. The problem is the staff. One of the Manger's Jennifer / Jenna (?) was very rude and when I asked to speak to the hotel manager, I was told he is not available. I also tried to ask the staff several questions about the area, but they were too annoyed that I interupted their discussion, to give me the time of day. The staff is very unfriendly and frankly they seem down right unhappy. This is a reflection of bad management, and based on other comments and the responses I read from the Hotel Manager - it seems bad customer service is the trend here. I couldn't believe the negative responses I read via the Hotel Manager from other reviews- no wonder the staff is so unhappy! Oh and the pools are dirty and gross. There is soap scum in the jacuzzi's and lazy river. My wife even got some on her new bathing suit our first day there!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2009

The Grande Shores should be closed. I compare the rooms to the "Motel Six Hotels. We had bugs crawling up headboard of the bed. The carpet was dirty and worn as well as the bathroom never appeared to be clean even after we made two request to have it cleaned. The hotel staff could not answer any questions concerning the surrounding area for dining. The pool side grill closed at 3:00 p. m. daily as did the bar in the lounge because there was not a crowd. Their advertisement is very misleading. At $151.00 a night I expect a lot more that a broken refrig, no microwave and bugs.

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Stayed Easter Week at Grande Shores and had another wonderful time. The furnishings are clean and the cleaning staff of the hotel are always taking care of the property...which is what I like to see. The location is perfect because if you get tired of the beach you can float in the lazy river or swim in the pools. The area is very quiet and you can eat on-site or walk to stores for a coffee or an ice cream treat. I love the private balconies and the views remind me of Central Park on the beach. I also love the on-site parking. Many other beach-front hotels in Myrtle Beach have parking across the street and at Grande Shores you can park your car in a garage in the same building - this is a must for me! Already booked my August trip. Can't wait.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2009

Just stayed a week at Grande Shores. Was not impressed at all, so much, I just got home and thought to myself, "I have to look up reviews on this place, maybe I should have done that first!". The elevators are a nightmare. You have to wait forever to get on one and the structural integrity is very scary. I have never been in such a junky elevator. The parking garage was hell to get in and out of. One night I could not find one parking space and had to drive up and down floors until someone left. If another SUV comes towards you, you have to turn around and back up so that they can get through. We had to go down to the office 3 times about our keys. Our roomate lost her key and they reset all of them, then the new key we got did not work, so we had to do that process again. Then, another day our keycard wouldent work (again) and we went to the service desk and they said they had that we were checking out a day early even though we paid for 7. The room itself was beautiful, but, our refrigerator did not work after we just bought groceries for the week for everyone. It took an hour and 1/2 for the first maintenance man to come and he told us that "coldest" on the refrigerator meant "a higher temperature". He instructed us to keep the knob in the middle and it would cool-it didnt. We called back again and they brought us a new refrigerator and that one worked fine. Also, the toliet in the master bath had problems flushing. The carts they provide to get your luggage in the room (if you could find one) were jacked up. One was missing a wheel, one had a flat and the other was completely broken.
I guess GS would be okay for some people. I guess I expect to relax on vacation without key drama, toliet drama, refrigerator drama, elevator drama, and trying to find a place to park. These may seem like small issues, but, as a single mom taking care of my children, these little snafu's made our vacation more stressful and work than it had to be.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family