“False advertisement!”

Ranked #25 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Front Royal, Virginia
“False advertisement!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2010

I searched and searched online for a honeymoon get away for my and my new husband. The Grand Shores website offered so many bright and beautiful pictures of the rooms, pool areas and the beach-I thought it would be beautiful. They offered a honeymoon package which would feature a chilled bottle of champagne, complimentary glasses and a bath set; which I thought were pretty nice additions to the package. When we got to the room I noticed a dilapidated public use washer and dryer-right outside our room. The dryer was running and very loud at that. When we walked in the room I noticed that everything seemed to be pretty outdated and didn't look as new and fresh as the online pictures portrayed. The bed had been turned down and the pillows were just kind of thrown on the bed and the comforter was extremely crooked-not a big deal in itself but to me those are details that make you wonder how quickly everything else was done. I have never consumed gasoline but if I tried to guess what the taste would be like I think I would compare it to the awful taste of the champagne which by the way my husband and I each took a small sip out of the same complimentary glass because the other was to gross to use. As we were on our honeymoon we were excited to head out and about so we left the room. Upon returning later that evening, we found that the carpet throughout the room was very damp, the bed was broken, and the bathroom was dirty-dirty to say the least. I couldn't stay there that night because after all of the surface things I had seen I couldn't imagine getting in a bed and wondering what kind of care had been given during it's cleaning. My husband called the front desk to let them know we would be leaving, the reasons and that we would expect a refund. We turned the keys in to a very polite gentleman who took down our concerns but he didn't seem very surprised by them. We found a new place to stay at 11:30 that night-not how you want to start off your honeymoon. The next day through phone calls to get our refund, the management proceeds to tell us that we would be charged for one night, the champagne that was in the room and the bath set. I thought really....the bath set that was never opened...the small bottle of lotion and bubble bath that was lavendar-a fragrance I can't stand?!?!?! I had enough, I had tried to be polite but just had to tell that lady that I wouldn't be charged for that, it had never been opened and that was it. I told her that I felt like I just needed to tell her that their website doesn't portray their facility at all. A place to stay for a night, yeah maybe...but when you are looking for a nice place for your honeymoon-a special time that you want to use to make memories-their website showed you what you were looking for but walking in the hotel showed the exact opposite. Her only response to me was to snap that we didn't give them the chance to make it right...make it right I thought?!?!?! I researched lots of places, drove 8 hours to this facility, had how many issues and I was supposed to give them the chance to make it right?!?! Ummm no- I gave that chance when I booked the room, drove 8 hours to the room and paid upfront for the room-then it was in their hands to provide what they advertised. There was no apology from them, no sincerity what so ever, it basically just seemed like a routine process. The only person that gave a hint of sincerity was the gentleman at the front desk the night we left. It was very disappointing to say the least. Certainly not a place we would visit again nor would we advise anyone else to.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stacywilliams
gmgrandeshores, General Manager at Grande Shores Ocean Resort, responded to this review, 6 November 2010
Of course we are never happy when a guest is not satisfied with our resort and for that we are very sorry. This couple checked into the room at 3:15pm and did not express dissatisfaction until almost 11:00pm in the evening at which time they come by the desk and told our night auditor they were leaving. We did refund the balance of all monies paid the following day after the guest spoke to our front office manager. As you can see by reading our reviews, we do maintain a very clean resort that is enjoyed by many and when problems occur we do strive to be fair and responsive to the guest. I do feel that since the guest was registered in the room for over 7 hours it was fair to refund the remaining balance and was also fair to expect the guest to pay for the first night.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2010

Great ocean front place in a quiet area away from all of the crowds. We have stayed here many times and it is our favorite place in Myrtle Beach. For such a large place it is quiet and relaxing. This was a spur of the moment couple's get away for 3 nights. We had an ocean view 1 bedroom room unit with a full kitchen that was perfect. It is away from the noise and parking issues that downtown Myrtle Beach have and that's something we like. The elevators are fast, the parking easy and the room was clean and comfortable. Since we started staying here they have changed the housekeeping policy. If you stay 3 nights or less there is no daily housekeeping service. Of course you can pick up clean towels or linens, if needed, at the front desk. We did not find this to be a problem at all and it probably helps keep the prices affordable.This is a great place for families, too. We have rented the 3 BR, 2 BA units too and they are very spacious for a family. With the on site pools, restaurant and ocean front location you can technically not ever leave the resort. We could also walk to a couple of restaurants or drive 10-15 minutes to take advantage of all of the dining and shopping that the Grand Strand has to offer.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovescapecod
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2010

Great, friendly service. Bryse and Mark were very helpful with our needs while we stayed here. Super friendly staff, clean rooms, the pools were great. The whole family had a great time!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Bulls Gap, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2010

Just returned home from our yearly golf trip. We stayed at Grande Shores it was a great experence. This was the third time we've stayed and plan to go back next. Very clean and staff very frendly. Rates were very good also thanks

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Aiken, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2010

We had a family reunion at the grande shores hotel, it was great place for a reunion, Erin was very good at her job and friendly. When ever we had a question are a problem she would answer as soon as possible.We also enjoyed working with Breanne she was also very good. We enjoyed the rooms they were quiet.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Florence, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2010

My family convened their 1st Reunion at the Grande Shores Resort on October 1-3, 2010. The resort was a marvelous location and all present enjoyed themselves.

The service was excellent. Erin and Breanne, in the Sales Departmement, were so accommodating and easy to work with. They responded to any questions our Committee had and effortlessly guided us through the process. They were always there for us and are to be commended.

The staff as a whole were great to work with. The front desk staff on all shifts were very pleasant and accommodating. They truly made us feel welcome. The housekeeping staff, as well were accommodating.

The conference room was a great location for our "family fellowship dinner." The table arrangement and room set-up was to our satisfaction. The "Southern Comfort" buffet was delicious. There was sufficient, well-prepared food.

The "hospitality condo" made for a great location for family membes to meet and chat. I personally enjoyed the indoor swimming pool and hot tub.

Overall, the resort had a great family atomsphere. I will definitely come back to stay on a later date and it will be my first consideration for our next Family Reunion.

Thank you Grande Shores Resort, Breanne, and Erin. You made the Hamilton Family Reunion a success.

Minnie G. Samuel
Hamilton Family Reunion Chairperson

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank msamuel144
Hickory, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

My husband and I just returned home from our 28th visit to the Grande Shores. We visit Myrtle Beach 3-4 times a year and would not even consider staying at any other location. The resort is located next to a beautiful, quiet residential neighborhood, which provides a clear view of the ocean even in the side view rooms and condos. The resort staff is always very pleasant, helpful, and welcoming. The rooms are spacious and clean. We especially enjoy the extras (kitchen, living room, extra balcony space) in the condos. It is a great place to visit with family and friends.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple