“Never gets old”

Dunes Village Resort
Ranked #8 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 20 June 2014

My wife found Dunes Village online by chance when we were looking for a family vacation near the beach 5 years ago. We've gone back every year since!

The Staff: The front desk is amazing - and extremely friendly. Tanya has checked us in the past 2 (maybe 3) years now, and she's always smiling and so helpful regardless of how long the line is. Whenever you see an employee in the hall or on the elevator, they always ask you how your stay is going, and make sure you have everything you need. Housekeeping does a great job too! They would do fun things with my daughters stuffed animals every day, and she'd be so excited to come back to the room from the beach to see what they did.

The room: The view... I look forward to that all year. There isn't another hotel on the south side tower and you can see all the way down to the ferris wheel. You can also see fireworks from the baseball stadium (currently on Monday nights). The beds are good, not great - but, the room is clean, well taken care of, and was very spacious (we get a 2 bedroom suite). The full kitchen is stocked with everything you'd need to prepare a meal if you don't feel like going out.

The resort: Our kids (7 and 12) love the waterslides, and playing basketball in the pool. Not all that enjoyable for adults, but, that's what the 5 indoor hot tubs and 2 lazy rivers are for. There's also shuffle board, large scale checkers and chess, plus pool tables and ping pong located around the pool areas. Every day there is an activity for the kids - everything from face painting, tattoos, arts/crafts, scavenger hunts, etc. Most are free, but some do have a small fee associated with them. The beach is right out the back door, and you can go from your room to chairs on the sand in less than 5 minutes.

Restaurants: I can honestly say, I've never eaten at the resort. There are so many choices around town that we never seem to think to stay at the resort for a meal.

Overall: It never gets old... we're going back next year, and every year after that. We love the staff, the resort, the town - everything.

Room Tip: The South tower has the better views as there aren't any other hotels for MILES to the south. G...
3  Thank Dustin C
Cari G, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

What a lovely and detaild review of Dunes Village Resort. We really appreciate all the kind things you had to share about your recent 5 star vacation with us! We are glad to hear that Tonya was your first point of contact for another year. The team here at Dunes Village Resort is the best, with many staff having been here for several years now.

We are glad to hear that your views were excellent, your waterpark time was fun and you were never bored. Next visit, though, please try the restaurants. I have nothing but praise for the food myself, so I will highly recommend both the breakfast buffet (Admirals' Room) and the lunch/dinner/cocktail area (Captain's Cafe).

We look forward to seeing you again. We hope that it will be soon. Thanks again for your awesome review!

Write a ReviewReviews (6,131)

Reviewed 19 June 2014

First off, let me say that I wouldn't stay here if I was travelling without kids. It's clearly a family destination and if you're not a kid person, I think you would be annoyed. However, I was travelling with a one-year-old, so it was perfect. There is so much to do around the hotel that we only left in the evenings to walk around the boardwalks for shopping/dinner. We really enjoyed our stay. I only have two serious complaints: (1) the concierge was terrible, just truly awful. The first time we asked the concierge for a suggested family-friendly evening activity, she responded, "I'm off in 15 minutes, you can be helped right there." She sent us to a podium next to hers, where a nice (somewhat pushy) lady tried to get us to commit to a 2-hour timeshare pitch the following morning. Clearly, we weren't being helped. The next day, my wife asked the concierge where the best place to park was to watch the fireworks by the boardwalk. Not only did the concierge not have a parking suggestion (were we truly the first people to ever ask this question!?), she had no idea the city had fireworks. This is pretty funny since the fireworks are a recurring event in Myrtle Beach. In any event, use Trip Advisor for suggested activities and don't waste your time with the resort staff. (2) the room never felt clean. My son spilled one of his food pouches on a sheet/pillow case the second day. We wiped it up, but a clearly visible spot remained. The staff apparently never changed our bedding for 5 nights. I also used a towel one day to wipe up water on the entry tile floor into the room. It was disgusting. The towel was practically black. I don't think they ever truly clean the floors. Walking around the room before bed your feet will be black.

1  Thank Aaron K

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit here at Dunes Village Resort. I am sorry that the housekeeping service was not up to par. That is an area that we have already addressed, and we expect that the next time you visit you wil find everything spic and span.

As for the concierge, I am sorry that they were anything less than helpful. Their job is to make sure that our guests are informed, and this will be addressed with their superiors promptly. The team here at Dunes Village Resort is known for its friendliness and helpfulness, and to hear anything different is unacceptable and will be rectified.

Thank you again for choosing us for your vacation get-away. We look forward to having you here for some more fun and relaxation in the future. See you then!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I truly enjoyed my stay at this hotel. It was a little confusing with the parking across the street, and it took me a moment to remember where my elevator to get to my room was, but it was an excellent trip for my son. They have a water park that kept my son entertained for hours. I loved the fact that they removed all the excess shells from the beach every morning, so that you can enjoy a beach walk in the morning without stepping on a million seashells. I will definitely be back again, but the only change would be not to use bookit.com. They overcharged me, so buyer beware if you are using them. As far as the hotel, yes I will definitely be back but not using bookit.com. Make sure on that website that you are not being charge more than you agreed to like I was.

Room Tip: I would go with their suites on the south side or in the palms. I stayed in 952 and it was a great l...
3  Thank U M

Thank you for sharing your kind words regarding Dunes Village Resort. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our property. I am sorry you had trouble with booking your reservation through a 3rd party website. They do a great job promoting our resort, and I have never heard a bad thing about them. I hope you were able to clear up the confusion with them. Either way, we will happily book your next reservation for you when you are ready to visit again. Hope to see you back here soon.

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

This was our first time visiting Myrtle Beach. I researched hotels and decided to stay here. The room was clean and well laid out. Was the room spotless, no but we took a little time and did some sanitizing ourselves. My wife will do that no matter what. The swimming pools and water slides were excellent. It was my kids favorite part of the trip. The nice thing is most of there pools are inside so you don't have to worry about your kids getting burnt up. They are inside but the sides are open so you still get the ocean breeze coming through. They have a total of 4 water slides 2 of them are pretty big and fast. Not much of a line to go down them. They had activities on the ocean side of the hotel every night. One night they showed Monsters University on a outdoor movie screen. They also have a nice playground there too. Every night around ten we would take the kids for a walk on the beach. There were all kinds of people, mostly families, out walking the beach at that time so we felt very safe taking our kids out. The only thing I didn't like is the lifeguard on the beach also rents umbrellas and chairs. First thing in the morning he sets up all his umbrellas and chairs in a straight line on each side of him taking all the good spots because you are not allowed to set up a umbrella in front of those umbrellas. It might impair his vision of people swimming which I understand. So you have to set up behind those umbrellas. Not cheap to rent one, $35 a day. Every staff person we talked to was super nice and helpful. The area around the hotel was nice. We traveled into south Myrtle and it seemed kind of run down. I was very satisfied and if we come back to Myrtle beach we will definitely stay here.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank icemann77

We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed all we have to offer here at Dunes Village Resort. We have so many diversions to keep our guests entertained, as you have mentioned, and we are so happy that you participted in our planned activities! Our movie nights seem to be a big hit with out guests, as well as our "Glow-tastic" dance parties.

Thanks for choosing to spend your vacation with us! We hope to see you back here again for some more memory making.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Visited on the recommendation of a friend who visits with their family regularly. I was only there for one night, but it was fun. Our room (and view) was great and I enjoyed the lazy river (even though we don't have kids). We did have a resident pigeon who lived on our balcony in one corner--no nest or anything, he just liked sleeping there. Since we were only there one day, we didn't have the heart to force him out. :) If you're big on TV watching you should know that the cable selection was a little limited, no Food Network, HGTV, etc. Otherwise the rooms as very, very nice. Being that my wife is very pregnant, I pre-booked the valet parking. My only complaint there was that they appeared to have only one person working at a time, so the initial check-in was long and awkward (we weren't acknowledged/greeted when we pulled up, and then they didn't appear to have our reservation on file when I explained I had prepaid). Once we got signed up and received the tags, service was speedy and great. Room check-in at the service desk was good and very smooth. I would have liked more time to settle in and check out the amenities! I think I'd stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for sharing your Dunes Village Resort experience with us. We are glad to hear that your overall experience was a positive one! Congratulations on the upcoming baby! As you have seen, we are very faimly friendly here, and we look forward to seeing you and your family sliding on the slides and playing mini golf in the near future.

Thanks for the lovely review. We will see you again soon!

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Everything thing was great! Except: we got locked out of our condo. It took them about 30 min to break lock and let us in. The housekeeping wakes u up early which was irritating. But the pool ,lazy river, hot tubs where amazing. The rooms had plenty of room for whole family. We will be going back.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Tara M

Thank you for sharing your 5 star review of Dunes Village Resort. We are glad to hear that your experience was a good one, and that the kids had a great time. We look forward to another visit with you sometime soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My spouse and I are local business owners, and love the fact that we live here in Myrtle Beach, We have 5 children and are not ready to leave them for a couples "vacation", so we've decided to go on a "stay-cation" . We chose the Dunes Village because the ratings were very pleasing. After staying two separate times, we finally booked a 3 bed room condo and took the kids for a two day get away! IT WAS AWWWWWWWESSSSSSSSOME!!!! The kids had a smile from ear to ear the WHOLE ENTIRE TIME! Such a clean, family orientated establishment. We ate lunch at the restaurant where we met Dan, (manager) and thanked him for great service and the unforgettable experience. I am going to be booking our next stay cation here in a few minutes!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1051. It was a huge 3 bedroom , 3 bath condo with a beautiful ocean front view. Co...
2  Thank jennagiggles
Cari G, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

"Perfect" is our favorite word. "Perfect" means that we could not have tried any harder to pleae you, and that is so wonderful to hear. As a local, you know how important hospitality is, and for us to have impressed you with our "awesomness" makes us smile from ear to ear.

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely 5 star review. We are ready for you whenever you schedule the return trip! See you then!