“Our 2nd time at Dunes Village”

Dunes Village Resort
Ranked #8 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Our 2nd time at Dunes Village”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Our stay was from June 22 through the 28th. Driving from Ohio came down on Saturday and stayed at a hotel in NC to rest up and let the kids swim and prepare for our Myrtle Beach vacation starting on Sunday. We arrived at Dunes around 1pm well before the check in time. I was expecting to just check in and pay for the stay, and maybe use the public restroom for us to change into our suits and go to the pool, to wait for our room to be ready... But no it was ready when we got there which really made me happy. So we got to unload the car together, and go right up to the room. We stayed in a Oceanfront Queen Suite which is the same room we stayed at last time but had the extended balcony. I really wanted this again but it was sold out, there are perks to booking early. But the suite has everything you need, just fill the fridge and the freezer with food is what we did so we could cook breakfast and lunch to save a little money. But Monday after going to the local Walmart coming back realizing that the Refrigerator, was not working. Had to call the front and have maintenance check it out, I stayed up in the room for almost 2 hours while the rest of the family was down at the beach, This did frustrate me since i kept calling front desk and they kept telling me someone was on their way up. I found out later i didn't have to wait in the room....I REALLY WISH THEY WOULD HAVE TOLD ME THAT WHEN I CALLED...Long story short. they swapped the old fridge for a new one. Problem solved just wasted some of my precious vacation time waiting..Great Pools...attractions for the kids. Day that it rained we were able to stay inside and swim still. The biggest issue i could say i have with Dunes Village is that the beds are not comfortable at all...for me at least. Everyone has their own opinions when it comes to mattresses. These were bad for me, had back pain almost every day. So it is a good possibility our next stay i will be looking into a different Family Resort. But I do love the location of Dunes Village and all the amenities. You just have to drive to really get to anything, no restaurants within walking distance or stores or attractions. Not an issue though i really like being on the north side in the residential part of Myrtle.. Get down to the pool early before 9am before it opens. People must go down there and put towels down before it opens. just an FYI. There is one restaurant in the tower we stayed in the Palmetto tower. Our last night there i ordered she-crab soup. worst i have ever tasted. They did take it off the bill. but the food there is mostly bar food a few entrees, though the crab cakes are pretty good and so are the hush puppies. All in all i would recommend Dunes Village.

Room Tip: 8th Floor i really liked.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jonathan K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,359)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Grayslake, Illinois
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Nice place to stay for the kids. It has water parks, beach access and kids activity room. Rooms are a bit dates but overall was satisfied with what we got. Would stay again but with and ocean view versus a partial ocean view. staff is nice but in/out can be nuts.

Stayed July 2014
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Our room had a great view, great service, clean rooms!!! We'll be back! We got a two bedroom angled deluxe and the view was amazing! We faced south side so no building obstructing our view! :) The water park was a huge attraction for us since we have kids that love swimming.

• Stayed May 2014
New Tazewell, Tennessee
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The staff was very helpful, especially Sheila at the front desk! Room was very clean. They have wonderful activities for the children to do. Awesome water park for children and adults. I would definitely stay again!

1 Thank Kris N
Uniontown, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This has been our fifth year in a row staying at Dunes....and this is first "average" rating that I would give the resort. First, the staff was exceptional as usual. Very helpful and courteous. The pools/water parks were also very nice as well. The issues we had were with the guest rooms and the "price/value". The rooms appear to have had minimal updating and their cleanliness were below average. I know, I know, who cares about a room when you are at the beach. Well, we do. Especially for the price we paid. This leads me to the "price/value". For the amount we paid for the room, we expected more. I understand that prices increase year to year; but I also know that they would not stay in business if the consumer feels like the resort has become a "money-grab". While on this trip, we toured other facilities to compare and discovered better value. Therefore, we are seriously considering another resort for next summer.

Room Tip: Angle oceanfront rooms are a better value than the actual oceanfront rooms.
6 Thank Stephen B
Cari G, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent Dunes Village Resort experience. We appreciate your loyalty thus far, and we are sorry that you did not feel the value this time around. Over the last winter, we did a lot of projects to spruce up the place, from new carpeting to new sofas to new bedding to common area refreshing. Did you get an opportunity to play on our newly renovated mini-golf course?

After 5 years, I would really hate to lose you. The last thing we ever want is for our guests to not feel the value of all that we have to offer. Would you please contact me so we can discuss this. I can be reached at the resort most days.

Cari Garvey
Guest Service Manager
843.449.5275
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My family and I stayed at Dunes Village in Room 1208 for a week from June 29th - July 3rd 2014 for our Daughters birthday. For what we paid I expected a much cleaner and well-kept Property.

The Pros

1. The view from the room was terrific.
2. The waterpark was terrific.
3. The DJ’s were great.

The Cons

1. Upon arrival the telephone in the bedroom was unhooked from the wall. Even after plugging it into the wall it failed to work. I was unable to call out after dialing 9 on the kitchen phone. When I called the front desk they offered to connect me after telling me they didn't know why it was happening..... It took all the way to the last evening to get the telephones fixed.

2. The wireless internet did not function for the first 24 hours

3. The Mirror in the bathroom was falling off of the wall.

4. The bathtub had a gob of hair from the previous tenants.

5. The door to the washer/dryer was missing and the fixture/hardware was still there. Instead of fixing the door they removed it.

6. One of the burners on the Stove-top was not functioning.

7. The Girl that cleaned our room failed to wipe down any surfaces or vacuum. My wife spoke with the girl and was told that she was not trained for the job. She was a foreign exchange student from Kazakhstan. I had to call the front desk. The manager of the cleaning crew had the girl clean everything properly. The very next day She did exactly the same thing. No Vacuuming completed or surfaces wiped. Very disappointing

8. The put-put golf course on the property had rotten wood, overgrown grass, and was not maintained.

9. The price of Alcoholic drinks at the bar was outrageous.

10. The free gift offered at the beginning of the stay turns into a Time Share deal to get local attraction tickets at a cheaper price. What a croc!

Room Tip: Dont Book Here. Not worth the money.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Wizard130775
Cari G, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay here at Dunes Village Resort. We are glad to hear that the waterpark was to your satisfaction. We are sorry to hear that you had some issues in your room. It appears that we have a communication breakdown in getting items addressed in a timely manner, and I apologize that this was the experience you had.

We hope you consider giving us another opportuinity to show you the Dunes Village Resort so many people have come to love. Thanks again for sharing your story.
Stafford, Virginia
Reviewed 7 July 2014

A wonderful place to stay with your family. We travel to Myrtle Beach every year and I must say this staff at the Dunes Village Resort made our trip with all the smiles we received. They truly love their jobs. We will see you all again next year.

Room Tip: My granddaughters and I had an ocean view 2 bedroom with two queen beds in each room plus a sleeper...
Cari G, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
It is true that the team we have here at Dunes Village Resort LOVE their job! We work hard to ensure that our guests have a fabulous time, and it is great when it is recognized! Thank you for taking the time to share your 5 star review of Dunes Village Resort. The busiest week of the summer is the week of the 4th of July, and we are pleased that we were able to provide the perfect vacation for you and your family. Come back soon!