“Great time for a shorter stay”

Dunes Village Resort
Ranked #8 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed at the Dunes for 4days 3 nights and it was great! Can't imagine staying any longer in Myrtle Beach than that! The rooms were spacious and very clean. The food was decent and the staff was very friendly. The pools and water features were clean even with hundreds of people in them. My only complaint is they allow people to save chairs. So while people are on the beach they have also saved chairs with towels making is impossible to get one after 9 am! We did not find the dunes very accommodating for handicap people and there was no handicap beach access that we were able access. Besides that the place stood out above the rest of the resorts located in Myrtle Beach.

• Stayed: July 2014
Cari G, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Thanks so much for sharing your 5 star Dunes Village Resort review. We are glad that you chose us to spend your get-away with, and hope that if you come back through Myrtle Beach again, you will pick us as your destination. We appreciate your kind review, and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Well I looked over many reviews on many sites and decided this was the place for us to try. I booked us a 3 night trip King Bed Oceanfront. So I'll break it down in areas/steps

Checking In/Parking: Checking in was pretty easy. I had read there wasn't a lot of room to park your car during check in but I didn't find this to be a problem. There were 10-15 parking spots, plus another 5-6 cars could park in the loop with plenty of room. We checked in early and our room was already ready. The parking is a tad strange. The parkaing garage is across the road. The lady didn't inform me how it all worked, nor did I ask. So it's probably on me. I get over to park and slide my card in and the light is green, but I have no clue what to look for, then I see the giant cage fence to the parking deck is opened up. So I floor it to get in there but it starts to close too soon. So I have to turn around and make it right. It worked the next time. The parking garage itself is snug parking and you'll drive yourself crazy trying to find a spot. Here's a hint. Don't worry about getting to lower floors, the key is parking close to the elevator. So go as high as you want, just park near them.

The Rooms/Hotel: The rooms were quite large. We had tons of room. It was clean. Not perfect but look I'm not stupid. My house isn't spotless nor will it ever be. I understand that someone stays in that hotel room probably 330 nights out of a year. It's gonna have some wear and tear on it and war wounds. Overall though it was pretty clean. The fridge had some dents and dings on it, but come on people, who cares? The beds slept really good. It was nice having the full size fridge in there. The Air cooled the entire room off. The girls liked that there were two places to get ready at of the morning. We had 6th floor so the view of the ocean/beach was great. the hotel itself I have no complaints about. It looked to be in good shape. The lobby area is clean and cool. The elevators ran pretty quick. I think of our 3 days we only waited over 45 seconds like once or twice maybe. They have 4 total where we stayed.

Pool/Beach: I don't really care of any beach, or any ocean. I like staying on the beach in a hotel but I don't actually care to go on the beach. With that said no complains about the beach area or anything. The pool area was clean and I was surprised at how little activity it had. I'd say there were never more than 10 people in the pool at once, which shocked me seeing how this is looked at as a "kids" hotel in many ways. The inside water parks had more kids in them but we didn't go in there that much.

Captain's Cafe: We only ate in there once but that's not because we didn't enjoy it. We just tired many different places. This is a great choice if you don't feel like going out. The food and staff were good.

Overall we'd stay again at this location if we ever return to the MB area.

Room Tip: Room 615 was pretty good. No complaints at all.
6  Thank StingerSd
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I am writing this review because of housekeeper, Cathy Brown. She is an amazing asset to Dunes VR. I visited this resort with my family and had to stay in room most of the trip to work. Cathy made my "hotel work environment" great by checking on me and making sure I was okay - despite all the stress. Thanks so much for your kindness!

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed 4 nights in the Ocean Front King Efficiency. Immediately upon arriving at the front desk I knew this would be a great stay. Ron checked us in very quickly. He was professional and informative, very polite and accommodating. The room was perfect! Spectacular view and incredibly clean! Beach access was easy and the waterpark located at the hotel is the best, hands down! 4 waterslides and 2 lazy rivers along with hot tubs and pools everywhere! Great for families and couples. All this being said, the staff puts this place over the top. Everyone was so nice and always smiling. The outdoor tiki bar is the place to be in the evenings. Not open too late, but not crowded with drunk kids...perfect atmosphere and hopefully you can hang with Colin (one of the bartenders). He is a trip, and a master at his craft. Other "resorts" in MB can learn how hospitality is done by following in Dunes Village footsteps. It is obvious they hire and train the right people. I would stay again anytime, I will never waste my time or money at another resort just to be disappointed.

Room Tip: If you booked an Ocean Front room, ask for one a few floors up (4 or higher). Anything lower and yo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank David21st
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Just got back from our family trip and over all it is a great family oriented resort. We stayed in the 2 bedroom condo which was very spacious and gave us some privacy during the evening hours when our son was sound asleep. The resort itself was nice, especially the water park which our 2 year old thoroughly enjoyed when he wasn't on the beach. It was also nice to have a Starbucks onsite with treats and the ladies at Starbucks were great. The location of the hotel was ideal as well...we were out of the hustle & bustle of the Grand Stand. To the left of the there were a couple of other hotels and to the left were all residential property. The beach was also nice and opted to rent the umbrella with 2 chairs for the time we were there. At $35.00 a day, it was money well spent as it served as a place to nap during the afternoons and a place for our son to escape the sun.

Pros:
Family oriented resort
Location of the resort
The room was well appointed
Staff was very accommodating
Lots of activities for the kids
Washer/Dryer in our room
Water Park
Starbucks
Valet

Things to improve on:

Housekeeping needs to pay closer attention to details. Dust on closet doors, bottom of toilet not clean, top of fridge dusty, dust on ceiling fan and lighting fixtures etc...I'm a stickler for details and this is definitely one area the Dunes can improve on.

The restuarant. The quality of the food in my opinion was not good...especially considering what they charge. Way overpriced for mediocre food.

Overall it was a great experience, so good in fact we decided to extend by 1 day. Front Desk made this very easy for us and didn't have to switch rooms.

I also want to give a special thanks to the valet guys. I mistakenly left my sunroof open during a rainstorm while we were at Broadway At The Beach and the interior was soaked to say the least. Valet guys did all they could to help dry the interior from using towels to dry the carpets, parking the car in the sun and using a shop vac to get the excess water out from the carpets.

See you guys next year!

T

Reviewed 14 July 2014

My family and I travel the eastern seaboard sevaral times per month year round. We've had many experiences with a variety of hotel chains. Our experience at the Dunes had been the worst in our travels. We are a family of 4 with 2 teens. We were assured several times that our room would have a pull out sofa. After going rounds with the management team, adam, holly and luke lied to us and all said too bad. LUKE told us that we would be comoensated for the mistake but his boss the next day told us too bad, deal with it. cutomer service at its best.....NOT!

Room Tip: Don't believe the reservationist if she tells you the room had specific accomodations and the m...
3  Thank Jensaide
Cari G, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dunes Village Resort works very closely with outside sources like Booking.com, Expedia, Bookit, Hotels.com and many others to ensure they have all the correct information regarding the size, layout and bed availability in each of our rooms. Additionally, our Reservations team is very well versed in the rooms and their amenities. Our Oceanfront Deluxe Double Studios have never had pull out sofa in them, simply because with the 2 beds & existing furniture there would not be room for it. I am sorry if there was any kind of misunderstanding as to what bedding you were getting in your room from the .com site you booked through. Our management team tries hard to accommodate any shortcomings brought on by miscommunication, and I apologize if the solutions offered to you were unacceptable. If you would like to discuss this further, I can be reached at the resort most days.

Cari Garvey
Guest Services Manager
843.449.5275

Reviewed 14 July 2014

The outdoor accommodations make this place AWESOME!!!! The pools are very nice, well designed, and easy to get around. My favorite part was the grassy area between the pools and the dunes and beach. There are lounge chairs, swings, and picnic tables, and my favorite palm trees to lay under. It was the perfect spot between the pools and the beach! We brought 5 10 year olds and it was PERFECT for them. Lots for them to do and a safe environment!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends