“Fun Hotel for Families with Small Children”

Dunes Village Resort
Ranked #8 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
New York City, New York
“Fun Hotel for Families with Small Children”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This was my family of four's fourth consecutive summer vacation at DVR and my kids, ages 6 and 8, love this hotel (despite the name, it is not a resort). The hotel has lots of activities for kids. The water activities include two water parks with four large slides, an indoor lazy river, an outdoor lazy river, two outdoor pools, and two hot tubs. The indoor pool area has table tennis, pool tables, and a Wii gaming console. There are also basketball and tennis courts available near the parking deck. Dozens of lounge chairs are located alongside the two outdoor pools and on the lawn between the pools and the beach. DVR is located on a large clean beach with beach chairs and umbrellas available, for an extra charge. We had an Ocean Front Queen Suite that offered a beautiful full view of the ocean from the balcony. The suite included two large screen HD TVs (with basic cable stations -no HBO nor Showtime) with DVD players. The hotel is located on the quiet end of Myrtle Beach away from most of the hustle and bustle of the south end, but only a short drive to the restaurants and activities which make Myrtle Beach a great family destination.

The housekeeping and front-desk services at this hotel are disappointing. The housekeepers had poor attitudes and were more interested in getting me to sign a waiver for cleaning services than actually cleaning my room. The so-called cleaning service was no more than changing the towels and emptying the garbage. They did not make the beds; change the linens; vacuum the carpets; clean the bathroom; clean the kitchen floors; nor empty the filthy stand-up ashtray on the balcony (despite repeated requests to do so). One housekeeper (Linda) told me that she did not clean my room because she had a cold and did not want my family to get sick. Another obviously annoyed housekeeper woke my family at 11:50 pm to give us hand towels that we had not requested (apparently she got the room number wrong).

On third day of my six-day stay, I went to the front desk to ask for someone to fix the broken washing machine in my room. The completely disinterested lady behind the desk never even looked at me before she told me that she would sent someone up to fix it right away (her manner, however, felt more like "get lost"). When I pointed out that I had not told her my name nor given her my room number yet, she snapped at me. In any event, no one fixed the washing machine (however, the coin-operated machines on the fourth floor sufficed).

Despite my issues with the staff, the broken washing machine, and the smelly ashtray, my kids enjoyed this hotel to the point of exhaustion and that is why we keep coming back. Therefore, I continue to recommend, albeit with reservations, this hotel as great place for small children with very tolerant parents.

3 Thank Westminster1501

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,397)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Starke, Florida
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Our third time in dunes village last July 2014.. Everything was good but for a few things.
1.) I think the water temperature of their pool and lazy river is a little bit cold.When I check in, I ask the front desk guy if their water is heated and he said yes, and ask how much is the temp., he said 86. I specifically ask because the 2 times I was there before, it was cold for us, so when he said 86, I really believe it and thought maybe they had change their temp from the last time I was there. Well when we tried the pool, it was not 86, more like 68-76( depends on where the pool is). If you are from the north maybe it's ok for you, but if you are from the south like us...just have to use the spa:))
2. I booked for 4 days but was given 3 days on a double bed suite and 1 day on a 1 bedroom on our last day. That means I have to check out and check in again which I do not want to do as moving is a hassle. I have to check the front desk everyday for a vacancy for our last day so I don't have to move. I wish that they have a system that they would let us know if they have a vacancy, that way I don't have to keep checking, but no I was told that I have to check everyday.
3. So I was able to stay in our double bed suite for our last day as David or Dan?( night shift11-7pm), was able to find us a room so we don't have to move. He was very nice about it, and he told me the vacancy on our third night where other receptionist said there was none( maybe there was none). As there was a difference in the charge for 2 different kind of rooms ( and I already paid for it), I expected that I will be given a refund of the difference when I check out. (That's what I was told when I booked.) Well there was no refund and the morning receptionist did not know what I was talking about so I have to explain everything to her. I have to wait for a few more minutes, 10 or 20 minutes, as she has to call their supervisor. Well the supervisor on the phone said I was given the same rate. That is not what I was told when I booked. I am not going to fight for a --- dollars so I just told the receptionist it's ok,

Other than what I wrote above,everything was perfect. Our bedroom was clean and I think has newer carpets than our previous stay there. You can really feel like you are on vacation on this place. The room is just right, enough space (I have stayed in one where it was so small) to move around. The bathroom was okay and was clean and big enough too. The bed was ok, and actually was better than the last time we were there.
I don't know what time they clean their water amenities but I never see them cleaning it( not in all my 3 stays there.) I did see them steam clean ( I think it's steam clean), the areas around the pool.

There is a lot of things you can do in this place, especially if you have kids. You may never have to go somewhere. They have a small playground and beside it are covered tables if you want to eat or chaise lounge if you want some tan while your kids on the playground. There's a mini golf/ putt putt. They also have activities for kids. They also have a DJ so sometimes you can see some kids dance and have a good time.

My experience in this place was always nice, and would not hesitate again to go back there if we are in the myrtle beach area.

Room Tip: Cannot think of a tip, everything was perfect except for their water temperature
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Ginkimia
Cari G, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your Dunes Village Resort experience. We are thrilled that you scored us a 5 star experience. We try very hard to make sure all of our guests needs are met, and our team is the friendliest and most helpful on the beach!

We have gotten new carpet since your last visit, and we are glad you noticed! Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. We hope you can come see us again soon!
Concord, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Stayed in a 1 BR on the 14th floor. Stunning view, staff responsive, restaurant food good but service disappointed. Unit could sleep eight but with only one bath probably not reasonable for eight adults.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PRN_Travel
We are so glad to hear that you had an enjoyable visit with us here at Dunes Village Resort. Our team is the best in the business with regard to taking care of your needs. We appreciate your mentioning their responsiveness!

Generally, when we hear 8 adults are taveling together, we suggest the 4 bedroom unit, as it has plenty of room to keep you from being on top of each other. Out 1 bedroom units are used primarily for families with many children.

We hope you get back here to see us again. We appreciate the 5 star review, and hope to provide another perfect stay for you soon!
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We were planning a 7-day vacation at this resort. It turned out to be a disaster. The room was filthy and absolutely nasty. The bathroom was filled with black molds. The swimming pools were dirty and unhealthy for kids. After repeated complaints and requests to hotel managers (both daytime manager named Holly and evening-time manager, Lucas) and with many empty promises, house keeping staff still did not clean the room as requested. They did not even clean up the trashes. They took dirty towels from one room and hung in another. This place is the worst of the worst. You are better of staying at a Motel 6. We checked out after our third night. Consumers beware!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel!!!
7 Thank Tom B
I am truly sorry that Dunes Village Resort was not the perfect vacation for you and your family. Your story is not familiar to me, as I have not heard of any unhappy guests leaving early, nor have I been apprised of any shortfall in the readings of our pools. We test our water several times throughout the day, everyday, to ensure the readings are within the DHEC standards, and to date, they always are. I would like to discuss this with you further, if you have an opportunity. I can be reached at the resort most days.

Cari Garvey
Guest Services Manager
843.449.5275
Leipsic, Ohio
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This was our second visit to the Dunes Resort. This time our extended family stayed also in one of the 4 bedroom oceanfront deluxe rooms and we had a fabulous time! The view was beautiful and the hotel had so much to do for both kids and adults! We would definitely come back again!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank hrc77
Thanks so much for the lovely 5 star review you offered regarding your visit to Dunes Village Resort. We are so pleased you and your family had a great time, and we appreciate that you invited some extended family to partake in the fun! We hope you will continue to invite all your friends and family, and we look forward to another visit with you soon! Thanks again for the kind words.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed at Dunes Village a couple of weeks ago for a week. It was an awesome experience! The weather was very nice, and we made full use of the facility. We arrived a couple of hours early, but only had to wait about 15 minutes to get a room. The check in staff was great! The room was good and clean. We had a King Deluxe Oceanfront, and had a great view of the pool and ocean. We always get this room type, as my husband enjoys it. The breakfast was wonderful, and the omelette chefs were incredibly nice every morning we went down to breakfast. Nice buffet and dining area looking out onto the ocean. We played pool and enjoyed the table tennis. We didn't use the indoor waterparks, but had fun watching others use them. The valet service was seamless and well worth the extra money because we didn't have to wait for our car even though it was busy. All we had to do was call 5 minutes ahead and the car was ready when we went downstairs. How great is that! We had a wonderful stay, and will be back next year, if not before!!

Room Tip: Always get an oceanfront room. Good views!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Libbie67
What an awesome review of DUnes Village Resort! We are thrilled to hear that your vacation was so wonderful, and we truly appreciate the 5 star review. We hope you can get back sooner, but look forward to seeing you next year! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience!
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This was our second visit to Dunes Village. We enjoyed staying and all the amenities were great. Definitely recommend to families with children ages 2-13. Our older teenagers were not so interested in the water parks and activities. The Dunes had an activity for children available every day that we stayed. The place is clean and the staff is friendly.

3 Thank sntg4
Cari G, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thanks so much for sharing your 5 star review of Dunes Village Resort. We appreciate that you took the time to offer some insight into the property. We are glad to see that you ahd an enjoyable visit. On a side note, we have a new program in the works that will gear some more activities toward the older kids in the families, since we have so many families that come back year after year. We hope that this will entice you to join us again! We look forward to seeing you again.