This was my family of four's fourth consecutive summer vacation at DVR and my kids, ages 6 and 8, love this hotel (despite the name, it is not a resort). The hotel has lots of activities for kids. The water activities include two water parks with four large slides, an indoor lazy river, an outdoor lazy river, two outdoor pools, and two hot tubs. The indoor pool area has table tennis, pool tables, and a Wii gaming console. There are also basketball and tennis courts available near the parking deck. Dozens of lounge chairs are located alongside the two outdoor pools and on the lawn between the pools and the beach. DVR is located on a large clean beach with beach chairs and umbrellas available, for an extra charge. We had an Ocean Front Queen Suite that offered a beautiful full view of the ocean from the balcony. The suite included two large screen HD TVs (with basic cable stations -no HBO nor Showtime) with DVD players. The hotel is located on the quiet end of Myrtle Beach away from most of the hustle and bustle of the south end, but only a short drive to the restaurants and activities which make Myrtle Beach a great family destination.
The housekeeping and front-desk services at this hotel are disappointing. The housekeepers had poor attitudes and were more interested in getting me to sign a waiver for cleaning services than actually cleaning my room. The so-called cleaning service was no more than changing the towels and emptying the garbage. They did not make the beds; change the linens; vacuum the carpets; clean the bathroom; clean the kitchen floors; nor empty the filthy stand-up ashtray on the balcony (despite repeated requests to do so). One housekeeper (Linda) told me that she did not clean my room because she had a cold and did not want my family to get sick. Another obviously annoyed housekeeper woke my family at 11:50 pm to give us hand towels that we had not requested (apparently she got the room number wrong).
On third day of my six-day stay, I went to the front desk to ask for someone to fix the broken washing machine in my room. The completely disinterested lady behind the desk never even looked at me before she told me that she would sent someone up to fix it right away (her manner, however, felt more like "get lost"). When I pointed out that I had not told her my name nor given her my room number yet, she snapped at me. In any event, no one fixed the washing machine (however, the coin-operated machines on the fourth floor sufficed).
Despite my issues with the staff, the broken washing machine, and the smelly ashtray, my kids enjoyed this hotel to the point of exhaustion and that is why we keep coming back. Therefore, I continue to recommend, albeit with reservations, this hotel as great place for small children with very tolerant parents.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dunes Village is home of the area’s only indoor water parks; 30,000 square feet of water fun! 4 adult-size water slides, water basketball, lazy rivers, kiddie pools, mushroom waterfalls and the list goes on. Tennis buffs stay limber on the tennis court and basketball fans shoot hoops on the basketball court. Children enjoy the year-round supervised activity program, giving parents an opportunity to sit back and relax knowing the kiddies are having fun of their own. Dine in one of the 2 onsite restaurants or sip a cup of coffee from Seattle’s Best Coffee. At the end of the day, our spacious studios, suites and condos are the perfect ending to a great day at this award winning resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Dunes Village Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dunes Village Hotel Myrtle Beach
- Dunes Village Myrtle Beach
- Dunes Village Resort Myrtle Beach
- Myrtle Beach Dunes Village Resort
- Dunes Village Resort Motel