“I won't give up!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
McLeansville, North Carolina
“I won't give up!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

I wanted to share with you regarding my previous stay on 8/12-8/15! The Dunes has been a place for my family and I to visit for the past 6yrs and during that time some things have changed but no worse than some other resorts that I've vacationed in! On this past visit my husband, son and I spent three days that definitely started out on the ZERO end of the scale! Let me explain...you see during the past couple of times that we've stayed the condo hadn't been cleaned properly and this time unfortunately was no exception! After driving 4.5 hours all that we wanted to do was to shower...relax...eat...and begin to enjoy our vacation. But instead the room was less than something that I would allow my pets to sleep in as far as cleanliness and the people under our condo on the lower floor played loud music until almost midnight and until 1am the following night...UGH! There are always kids splashing around in the spa pool and I feel and also other adults that we met felt that they should not be in there but everytime I go it's always the same! Now for the POSITIVE....I want to give KUDOS to Ray, Cat, Cari, Adam, Rashawnda, Angel, Holly, Courtney, Laron, Tina, Derek and Lisa! These fine people from the Management team, Customer Care/Check-in, Restaurant, and Housekeeping, went ABOVE and BEYOND to correct what was wrong and did everything in their power to makeup for the travesty that we had encountered upon our arrival. I was literally in tears and could not believe that this was happening yet again!

My husband was also MORE than upset at the condition of the condo which took almost 3.5 hours to re-clean...but Management-(Holly, Adam, Cari, and Derek) came to my aid and patiently listened to my concerns. I was never rushed by either of them when stating my frustrations and complaints. They each showed and were geniuenly concerned regarding the state of affairs at hand. Housekeeping-(Cat, Rashawnda, and Angel) constantly checked on us during the rest of our stay to ensure that we were made comfortable, and (Courtney and Laron) showed concern and compassion for the unfortunate state of the room and gave us stellar treatment in the restaurant. (Lisa and Tina) were fantastic at check-in and check-out and wanted to know if there was anything that they could do for us once they found out what had happened. Now the main man of the hour...Ray...OMG!!!! If management EVER loses him it will be a devastating loss for the resort itself!

Would I stay there again...YES I believe that I would! Not because I'm still NOT pissed off regarding how my vacation started out yet AGAIN....but because these fine people truly care about their guest and they go out of their way to show it! I won't show you pictures because everything was corrected...but all that I have to say is if you have a problem please give them a fair chance and they will definitely go out of their way to make you feel special and to ensure that the rest of your stay is relaxing and exactly what it should be...a well deserved vacation! Thanks again everyone...I WON'T GIVE UP ON YOU...you're a GREAT group of people...see you in December!

I gave three stars for the condition of the room upon arrival...but it's a GREAT RESORT and lots of activities for the kids from infants to teens!

Room Tip: The angle oceanfront is great and you can indeed see the ocean and also look down the beach at the b...
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,328)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this resort annually since 2009 to celebrate our child's birthday. On July 18th I spoke with Shelia at the front desk to make an inquiry about breakfast. She replied with such kindness, professionalism, and care I was appalled. This lady is a testimony of true care and commitment to her job. This was followed with interacting with chef Jamal in the dining area, who make the best omelets every year. Lone wasb He is very kind and professional as well. Dunes Village should promote these individuals who are exemplary leaders! Sincerely Irene

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank frazerij
Mooresville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

First, I would like to thank Jamal and His brother, Stephanie and Lackesia at the Breakfast Resturante on the property for an outstanding experience. The omelette Bar and waffels were delicious! The coffee Strong and Hot! The service was kind, efficient and went out of their way to make the dinning experience fun with our kids! Even though the resturante was busy the staff were courteous and professional... the same holds true for lunch and dinner at the other resturante too!!! Our Hotel experience was wonderful from the front desk to the excellent room staff...our room was well prepared and clean-refreshed everyday...many thanks!!! The Grounds were well kept with friendly staff! Our family had a Wonderful vacation!!! With Warm Regards,
Paul M, Charlotte, NC

Room Tip: All were outstanding this is our 10th trip over 8years...the best rooms are the 2-3 bedroom condos i...
2 Thank Paul M
Rocky Mount, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Dunes Village Resort was an awesome experience from the time we arrived, until we left. We arrived a little early, and the friendly staff checked us in and gave us access to all of the pools and eating areas. The food in the Café was great, also at a very reasonable price. The breakfast buffet was DYNOMITE!!! The rooms were very clean. Everything was clean like the pools, the public restrooms, and they had everything that was needed for a beach vacation at one spot!! The access to the beach was perfect, and so was the parking!! I have one complaint, and that was the hard mattress in the room. I won't let that stop me from going again next year. I LOVED THIS PLACE!!!

Room Tip: Oceanfront. Yes, there is activities and pools underneath, but the doors and walls are sound-proof a...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Matt J
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Plenty of things for the kids to do!The staff was great,waterpark staff was good with the kids.Wish they had a exercising room in both hotels.Our room needed a really good paint job & some better cleaning.There was sand in the drawers,trash on the balcony,stuff on the carpets,ants & dead flies.Overall we had a great stay.

• Stayed August 2014
      Rooms
2 Thank Angela L
Middletown
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We checked in last minute the week of August 8th. The reservation desk was very accommodating and pleasant when booking and checking in. The room was not ready yet but we were told we would be allowed use all the amenities offered at the hotel and we would be called as soon as our room was ready. It was ready before the scheduled 4pm check in. Upon first glance the room seemed very nice and clean. Upon further examination we found numerous belongings and garbage from previous occupants. A dirty bandaid, a old cheese doodle and a few hair ties and bobby pins.

Loved having a washer and dryer in room but whenever it was running there was an overwhelming smell of fish.

When coming back to the room the next afternoon after a long day at the beach housekeeping had cleaned and we noticed that the deadbolt had been left in the closed position so the door was not able to latch closed. Was not happy to know that my door was left open for an indeterminate amount of time. All our belongings seemed to be accounted for but we still all felt slightly violated. I would have called and complained but I did not want to get anyone in trouble. The cleaning that the housekeeper had done was subpar. The bathroom still had residue from toothpaste and soap scum. Same goes for the bathtub.

The master bedroom was so dark with only one small window and small lights. The rest of the suite was freezing cold while the bedroom was roasting hot. The decor was ok. Nothing exciting.

The hotel was close to the beach and the view from our balcony was AMAZING! The buffet breakfast was just blah. The lunch at the pool was pretty good and great for a quick meal in between beach time. The indoor water park seemed cute but our teenagers didn't make any use of it.

The location of the hotel would absolutely make me go back but I would have to be a little more on top of housekeeping.

• Stayed August 2014
      Rooms
2 Thank Jenniyjen
Sewell, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

We have stayed at Dunes Village Resort 3 times prior to this visit. Obviously, we came back because we always had such a nice time. After this last visit, we will not be returning. The biggest disappointment was the pool temperature. All the pools inside were cold -- the outside lazy river and pool were okay probably from the heat of the sun. When we questioned the water temperature, two different people said they would check into it and the water was cold our entire stay. Also, the room did not seem it was prepared for a new guest. There was just a small amount of toilet paper with no extra in the cabinet, the safe could not be activated because someone else's code was in there, and the worst was the room smelled like it was sprayed with some awful febreeze. Even the guy who came to fix the safe said it was overpowering. We had to open the doors to air the place out. Even the elevators had the odor. We had to request that they don't spray whatever it is because we were told they spray every time they make the room up. I never had this experience here before. And to top it off, the room had ants. Everything just seems like its going downhill--even the pool towels seemed chintzy. Very disappointing!

Room Tip: I would check out another hotel!
    • 2 of 5 bubbles