“Great Time in Myrtle Beach”

Dunes Village Resort
Ranked #9 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 29 July 2007

We enjoyed are stay at the Dunes Village.... The Good Part: New Resort, Great indoor waterpark, Starbuck Coffee Shop(Loved it every morning), and Staff Friendly The Bad Part: Restaurant alright, not great, no Outdoor Pool Bar (but the hotel next to us has a great outdoor Pool Bar opened till 12am), Had to walk across the road to the parking garage...

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 July 2007

We stayed at the Dunes Village Resort 7/15/07 - 7/22/07 and had a wonderful time. We come down just about every year and this is the best place we have stayed to date. I've noticed that many resorts get a bit run down as the years go by. Since this resort is new, it is obviously in pristine condition. As long as the facilities are kept up over the years, I would continue to stay here. If I found the resort beginning to deteriorate - especially in the pool and condo areas - I would move on in an instant. This would be my first repeat of a resort. I tend to always get a 3-4 bedroom unit. We look forward to staying here again.
--Accommodations: We had a 4 bedroom unit on the seventh floor. We had four spacious bedrooms, four bathrooms, full kitchen, and living/dining area. With a total of 5 adults & 6 kids, we never felt like we were on top of each other. It was great that each bedroom had it's own bathroom. This really helped to keep us out of each other's way. All counter-tops are granite and the decor is very tastefully done. The full-sized washer & dryer was great to have.
--Pool Area.
-----The outdoor pool was nice and we never felt like it was too crowded. The temperature was great and I think that my kids (2 & 4) would have stayed there all day if I let them. There were always enough chairs available - even if you went out in the afternoon. I would have liked more music/entertainment. They have music thru hidden speakers, but you could really only hear it if you were in a lounge chair right next to a speaker. Bathrooms closer to the pool area would have been nicer as well.
-----Indoor waterpark - This was very nice. The kids & adults alike enjoyed the waterslides. The lazy river was one of the nicer ones I have seen. In several sections, it is quite wide so as to alleviate the 'traffic jams' that sometimes occur. The temperature was warm & perfect. You can enter via the standard stairs, but they also had a ramp entry which was nice. The children's water play area was really cute & fun, but it is not heated and the water was pretty cold. My kids tried it once and did not want to go back. The hot tubs were very nice and never over-crowded. There are also games such as ping-pong, pool tables, shuffle-board, etc. You can get towels to use which was convenient.
----Beach - A nice walk over a boardwalk bridge. This could have been a little wider. It made for more one-way traffic at times. The stretch of beach is great & kept clean. You can rent chairs/umbrellas from a private contractor. This is not Dunes Village, this is a company that provides this service for all of Myrtle Beach. You get a large umbrella and two lounge chairs. You can reserve the same ones for the entire week. When you come each morning, your name is on them. Definitely worth the money to have as it get's quite hot. $125.00 for 6 days. With this, anyone who brings their own umbrella has to put them up Behind the rental chair/umbellas. So by renting, you get less obstructions in your view of the ocean.
--Service - Our room was kept clean by housekeeping and they were always nice and polite.
--Construction - Our room was on the side overlooking the construction of Dunes Village Phase II . I read complaints, but I do not have any. It wasn't really noisy. The boys (kids & adults as well) were quite entertained watching the workers and digger trucks. My 2 yr old son is really into all of that, so it kept him quite occupied and very excited.
--Dining - The service in the Captain's Cafe was excellent as well as the drinks. I was a bit disappointed in the fried oyster appetizer. For the price (I believe $7), my mother-in-law received 6 or 7 of the smallest oysters I have seen. Being from New England, we are used to larger shellfish. We can get a full fried oyster dinner with fries for $7.95. I was going to order more appetizers but this scared me away. I did see families having dinner next to us and they seemed to enjoy their meals. They also offer room service for a charge. They have a Seattle's Best coffee shop which was great. This is owned by Starbuck's. If you don't see a certain specialty coffee/drink on the menu that you are used to getting at a Starbuck's, just ask them and they will make it. My husband was down every morning. They also have food items (bagels, muffins, etc.)
--Check-in/check-out - Very smooth. If you arrive early, check in and come back later for your room keys. You will still be able to use the facilities (pool/waterpark) until your room is ready. We checked-in and went to lunch and some shopping. By the time we were back, our room was ready. (approx 2:30 pm).
--Parking Garage - This is across the street & seemed to have plenty of room. We always got a spot on the first level. This could change once the other building is finished.

One added word of advice - If you want a fantastic place to eat go to Rioz on 29th Ave (By Broadway on the Beach, behind Planet Hollywood). The best service you will find, great atmosphere. All you can eat (20 different meats) that are brought to your table continuously until you say stop via a card. Red on oneside means stop. Green on the other means bring more. Examples - Filet Mignon, Beef Ribs, Flank Steak, Lamb, Chicken, Garlic Steak, Rump Roast, and much much more. Best place in Myrtle Beach if you like meat. Kids 6 & under are free. Chicken nuggets, french fries, & mac-n-cheese are included for them. But they can also eat anything you do. Awesome salad bar with more than salad. ie Shrimp, mussels, sushi, scallops, fresh mozzarella, etc.

6  Thank TONY_and_JANET
Reviewed 27 July 2007

This is an excellent place to stay. It's one of the newer resorts on the beach and is actually still partly under construction. My first reaction when we drove up was "Wow - this is a nice place!" and the room was just as amazing. It had a tiled entry and kitchen with a full fridge and range/oven, as well as basic pots, pans, utensils, etc. The bathroom was average, but I don't go to a hotel for the bathroom! The view was gorgeous - we were on the 4th floor looking right out onto the beach. The room had a nice king sized bed, a flat screen tv on the dresser, and a living area also had a couch, coffee table and an even bigger flat screen tv! I didn't find the decor tacky either, as I usually do - it was simple and beachy. The staff is wonderful as well. Be sure to visit with Wayne the bartender before he heads back to Florida - he's great and will make you anything you want! The bar menu is great too - fantastic seafood and sandwiches which you can charge to the room and get to go if you'd like.

Another cool thing about the Dunes was the indoor waterpark. It's geared toward kids, with water basketball, water toys, a lazy river for innertubes, a hot tub and 2 waterslides, but my boyfriend and I enjoyed them just as much! There's also shuffleboard, pool, ping pong and foosball in the same area. There were boards all over the hotel with activities planned for the kids and things to keep them busy, so it's a great hotel if you've got a family. We don't, but didn't find it too intrusive for our romantic weekend either; it didn't seem like kids were everywhere taking the whole place up. The hotel has their own walkway out to the beach which is right next to the pool. The pool seemed nice with plenty of chairs, but who's going to stay in the pool when you're at the beach!? Naturally, we didn't even try it out.

It's in a great location too, with access to great local restaurants and bars, and Wayne gave us excellent recommendations for places to eat - try Sea Captain's House! I loved that it has a parking garage too. It's across the street from the resort, but it's so much nicer than having your car in an open parking lot for several days.

The bottom line is, I was very impressed with this place. We'll definitely stay here next time, and I've even promised my parents I'd take them there too when we all go.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ElleDN
Reviewed 24 July 2007

Lets start with the 2 bedroom angle view condo first, the most beautiful condo I have stayed in by far!! Everything you could want and more. We had a great view of the ocean from the 6th floor. In all honesty, there was construction going on next door but it did not bother us as we enjoyed our coffee on the balcony in the mornings and watched the workers and their progress everyday. We look forward to coming back and staying in the new tower. The waterpark was great for the kids, after to much sun at the beach they could play indoors and not get sunburned. No problems with housekeeping they were fine. It is a very family oriented hotel and that is what we wanted. Thanks Dunes for the best vacation ever, we will be back again!

1  Thank LISAFAYE
Reviewed 24 July 2007

My family stayed at this resort and I must say, I was impressed! The rooms were very nice and large enough for us to feel comfortable. The room even has a kitchen with granite counter tops!! It is a very luxury condo! We will be going back to the dunes in Aug. and we will be staying here again!!

The staff is excellent and they also have a very nice cafe downstairs that has coffee and muffins. Love this place!!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank mistychad
Reviewed 24 July 2007

For the past several years my family and I have gone to Myrtle Beach for vacation. We have a 3 and 9 year old boys. Needless to say we needed a place that could entertain them as well. This place had it all. THere is an indoor waterpark that is open until 11pm which we used every night . Plus an outdoor pool and hot tub. The rooms are very spacious compared to others and very clean.

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank racin2018
Reviewed 23 July 2007

Our vacation was great in large part to our accomodations at the Dunes Village. This is truly the nicest beach hotel we have ever stayed in. The rooms were newly updated and spotlessly clean. The employees were friendly and extremely helpful. If you book here make sure to get an ocean front room as the ocean angle rooms are facing the current construction of another Dunes Village property. The construction did not interfere with our stay as we were on the 10th floor in an ocean front 1 bedroom suite. The elevators were fast and we never waited. The indoor waterpark was a blast for the kids during the day and evening hours. There were 6 families in our group and everyone agrees that we would definitely stay at the Dunes Village again.

1  Thank cabdani