“Nasty, nasty, nasty” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #148 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Pittsburg PA
“Nasty, nasty, nasty”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed in this hotel 1 night (thank god) we wanted to arrive a day before vacation to not lose any beach time driving. We arrived and it's not anywhere near market commons as stated in the name. The room smelled so much of deodorizer it gave me a headache...that was my first clue as to how nasty this place was. The carpets throughout the hotel in the hallways and in the room looked like the sweeper hasn't been run for weeks....the linens looked dirty and felt dirty and worn out. I can't believe a chain hotel would let individual owners let a hotel run like this under their name. I fully expected bed bugs but was surprised to not find any...I'll never in my lifetime stay at another super 8 again. You don't have to have the newest but you can at least clean it. Good lord!!! Soap is cheap!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Mississippigirl73
rosa w, Assistant General Manager at Super 8 Myrtle Beach/Market Common Area, responded to this review, 9 October 2014
Thank you for your comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Crawfordsville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Based on reviews I was honestly worried. After thirteen hours of driving we were greeted by Rosa. Shes awesome! True this hotel is older but for the price we got it was worth it. Bed was super comfy and we didnt see any "bugs" our whole three day stay. No mold either. The air conditioner was quiet as well. You are 5 miles away from beach so no strip noise or traffic. We are already planning our trip back next year. Its not your luxury hotel so if you dont mind some stained hallway carpet and older furnishings and you are on a budget this hotel is well worth it!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank SammySperry
rosa w, Assistant General Manager at Super 8 Myrtle Beach/Market Common Area, responded to this review, 23 October 2014
Thank you for your comment it is always nice to hear how good our employees are doing and how helpful they are to all our guest. Thank you again and hope to see you soon.
Walterboro, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We were there for a ball tournament over the weekend. It was a last minute booking because everything else was full or 300 bucks a night. Sticky floors, bugs, mold....we left after the first night. The area it is located in is not the best either. Let's just say my husband kept the gun near the bedside. Place needs an overhaul!!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank ssjones123
Thank you for your comment I am very sorry about the stay you had with us. Please remember we have 24hr front desk staff so if you have any problems please let us know.

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Virginia Beach, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

I will start by saying tha I have stayed at other super 8 hotels before and I am shocked that the company would allow such a filthy place to represent the Super 8 name! The elevator was broken and we had to use the stairs ( i have a bad knee so that was even worse). The pool was the size of a mud puddle, the carpets were filthy, there was no hot water, the comforters on the beds were dusty smelling and rejects from the 60's. The walls and bathroom were so gross if I hadnt only been staying for one night I would have LEFT! It is really close to everything and the DAYSHIFT staff are nice. It really has the potential to e a nice place but I am SHOCKED SHOCKED SHOCKED that the company would allow their customers to stay in such a filthy run down place that is associated with the Super 8 name!

Room Tip: Do Not stay here!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank wavesoftheheart
Columbia, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

If I could give it a zero, I would. I use a motorized wheelchair. We were given room 519, all the way at the very top floor. When we checked and there were still lots of rooms left.. However all of the accessible rooms had been booked by people who are not disabled. We requested a non-smoking king sized room but we were given a king-size smoking because they overbooked. According to the staff member that checked us in he said he was going to have to tell a lot of customers that they would be getting smoking rooms because they had overbooked so much. The room was in terrible condition; The AC hardly worked, the paint is chipping, the water will not turn off in the bathtub nor the toilet, the safe doesn't work and just takes up space... Considering this hotel still has smoking rooms I was a bit disturbed to learn that there is no sprinkler system whatsoever in the entire building!!

This fact made it even worse for me when we woke up the next morning went down to breakfast and when we returned to our floor shortly afterwards we were informed that the elevator was no longer working.. We asked if the fire department could be called after waiting approximately one hour and being told the elevator would be fixed "soon".. The fire department arrived and the gentleman who came to the room said that it would take a long time for me to get down the stairs with their equipment and he would have to call for a second truck and ambulance, making me feel like I would be a huge inconvenience to them. He asked if I would be willing to wait just a little bit longer even though I expressed twice that we already been waiting for now over an hour.

We waited a couple of more hours and started becoming upset and anxious that nothing was changing in our situation and we were still stuck on the fifth floor. Not a single person from management or regular staff bothered to ask if we needed anything to make our stay more comfortable in fact they avoided us as much as possible. My husband went downstairs and spoke to the manager pleasantly trying to keep calm about the entire situation.. We had been traveling with a friend so we had two rooms. My husband asked if there would be any kind of discount applied or compensation for the situation that we were in.. Because of their lack of having two elevators or emergency chair to get someone from upstairs down we were stuck there for over four hours and wasted a good part of the entire day.. The manager then replied to my husband, "I'm not giving you any kind of compensation it's not my fault."

I have a lot of health problems and I also have anxiety and panic attacks.. I even have a service dog who helps me.. So after waiting over four hours I decided I couldn't take anymore but I wanted to try to get down the five flights of stairs by myself. I asked the staff member who was on the fifth floor cleaning the rooms if I could use a few pillows to help cushion me as I scooted down.. I'm missing one leg entirely and both of my arms to just above where my elbows would be. Her answer was "no" that I "would get the pillows dirty"..

My husband became very irritated and upset at seeing me upset and the refusal of allowing me to use pillows to comfort me as I went down the stairwell and demanded to speak to the manager who had conveniently disappeared.. Finally, a maintenance man gave him three pillows that were very disgusting looking with no covers on them for me to use.

I proceeded down the five flights of stairs... meanwhile a couple of staff members observed and no one bothered to ask if they could help in anyway such as helping by bringing down my motorized wheelchair or helping me move the pillows as I scooted down. Not to mention during the entire duration of us being trapped, not a single person offered us anything. I mean absolutely nothing. No drinks. No snacks. Nothing.

When I finally made it downstairs and back into my motorized wheelchair I started to vocalize horrific experience to everybody who was in the lobby that were already checked in or waiting to be checked in the manager stared at me and as soon as he was done checking in the current customer he went and hid in his office. He never once came over to me and apologized for anything. He took zero responsibility as a manager for the hotel he manages.

Oh, another thing that we noticed was there was urine in the stairwell while we stayed there... When it was brought to the attention of maintenance, The maintenance man said they were aware because it had been happening for the past three nights and that someone was pooping behind their dumpster.. I had overheard one of the staff members try to blame the urine on my service dog when my service dog was never in the stairwell until I was descending and she's trained to go outside plus this had already happened for three days in a row and we were there for one night!

This place is an absolute joke. Frankly, I hope this place goes out of business so no one else has to experience anything even remotely close to what I had to.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
13 Thank AngelPenguinLee
Gainesville, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Either this is a different property than others have reviewed or my standards are different but this seems an excellent property at least for a business traveler. Staff is very cooperative and friendly and my room was clean and modern with a 32" flat screen, microwave, fridge and safe and a small coffee maker. Many of the beach properties do not offer coffee in the rooms. For July in Myrtle Beach the price was very reasonable, less than half the price of the Hamptons and Holiday Inns in the area. I could find nothing in and on the property to complain about ie bugs, cleanliness, water leaks etc. It is not, however close to the beach and a negative is all the new bridge construction and traffic just off the the site on Hwy 17. Registration process (on line) was effecient and my room was available even earlier than it was supposed to be. I would definately stay here again and am actually considering canceling my reservation at a Hampton Inn for tomorrow night and staying here. I did take a peak at the pool and pool itself is small but clean. The area around the pool could be modern. The property is not convenient to tourist stuff or restaurants. Not an area to walk around either. There was only one entrance into the property at the front but elevator was just inside making it convenient to all floors. All in all very good value.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed here one night and it was the most disgusting and run down place we had ever stayed in. The paint is peeling, carpets are old, lap shades are ripped and stained, there was hair on our sheets in both beds, and dirt everywhere.

• Stayed June 2014