“Do Not Stay Here!!!”

Gazebo Inn Ocean Front
Ranked #37 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 22 June 2013

We made our reservations three weeks in advance, when we got there they said we had to give a kitchen deposit witch they did not tell us about on the phone. We paid that they gave us our room keys we were coming back into the hotel and they started saying we were liars we had too many people. Said we could not stay there and did not give our deposit back... Called the Myrtle Beach Police they said they get complaints from this hotel everyday. In the mean time they had someone in the office saying there key wasn't working they said we locked you out because your room smells like smoke... they told them they were smoking outside like they were suppose too. Don't know what happened with them. Stay at the Super 8 2711 south ocean blvd very nice people. Ocean Side. Our room was huge with a kitchen.

10  Thank Eileen G
gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn Ocean Front, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2013

When you booked your reservation, you made it for three adults and one child under the age of thirteen. When you came to check-in you had two cars, four adults and three children. Fire codes do not allow seven people in a room with two beds, and due to limited parking space we only offer one parking space per room (as noted on the confirmation that you received three weeks ago when you booked).

Nobody here called you a liar, we simply asked how many people would be staying in the room with you since there were several more people standing in front of us then you registered for. You kept insisting that everyone was not staying here, however they would be visiting and that you still needed two parking passes. We again explained why we could not issue two passes, and that if in fact the other members of your party needed lodging that we could rent you a second room which would solve both the lodging and parking issues. At this point you and another women with you became VERY irate. You both starting using very foul language while other families were standing at the desk trying to check-in. I told you both that you needed to leave the office. One of you swung the door so hard you almost knocked a lady over that was holding a small child. I escorted you out of the office and told you that your reservation was going to be canceled and that you needed to leave the property. You choose to call the police. When the officer arrived he not only spoke to you, he spoke to the other two families that were in the office that were trying to check-in when you were. Both families expressed relief that you and your group were asked to leave as they had reserved here because of our strict age policies and family friendly atmosphere. The officer informed you that you had been asked to leave and that you needed to so. He never said that they have to come here all the time. In fact he said that he couldn't remember the last time that he had. The reason for that is that we do not tolerate guests being disrespectful to the property and other guests the way that you and your group were.

In the future I would suggest that if you expect to be treated with respect, you handle yourself in a more respectable manner. Best of luck to you.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

We had a nightmare of a experience at a hotel up the road and had to leave it, We then were driving up the road and found Gazebo Inn, The staff was very nice and are hotel room was perfectly clean and quiet. A nice pool and a short walk to the beautiful ocean, This hotel left the hustle and bustle of Mytel Beach and was a nice quiet place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cindyq777
gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn Ocean Front, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with other travelers. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that we were able to offer you the vacation experience that you were looking for. We are one of the only family owned and operated small "Mom and Pop" hotels left in Myrtle Beach, and it is so nice when we have folks that have nothing but good things to say about the value that we offer here. The Gazebo Inn is not a fancy place, but we try hard to offer a clean and cozy property for a very reasonable rate. We truly appreciate your business, and we hope that we will see you again the next time you visit the beach!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 15 June 2013

We stay again at the motel. I had my Granddaughter with me and it was nice know that it was a nice environment. The rooms was very comfortable and the maid service was also wonderful always got a good morning or can I get you anything else reply.. My granddaughter had a wonderful time in the clean pool. They watch the gentlemen that clean it and he would give them a wave. The motel may not be a high rise but it sure is on top cause they showed they cared about family value...The price was wonderful for family that saves all year..Thanks again Gazebo Inn for awesome time!!!
Karen Thomas Georgia Girl!!!

2  Thank Karen T
DavidandArlene, Owner at Gazebo Inn Ocean Front, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2013

Thank you for your review. We try to provide a safe, clean, affordable place for our guests. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 8 June 2013

First let m say that we just arrived home tonight from a 3 night stay in the Gazebo Inn, Myrtle Beach. I feel so much better and cleaner once I got out of that old, out-dated dirty hotel. I don't undestand at all how it rated so high with Trip Advisor. Very, vey misleading. If you are used to staying at just a "dive" at the beach then you will probably be satisfied with it. The rooms are so tiny that I felt overwhelmed with my family. You couldn't pass them on your way to the bathroom, somebody had to sit on the bed so the other person could get by. There were no overhead lights and the lamp lights were very dim. Maybe that way they think people can't see how NASTY the carpet is. It has to be 20 years old and horribe. Nobody walked barefoot in our room, but the bottom of my daughter's white flip flops looks like black tar. The wiring for the fire alarms were wired with extension cords wrapped around poles in the hallways. The light outside on our deck didn't even have a light cover over the light bulb. They told us upon arrival that they had just spent ovr $200,000 in upgrades so we were excited to see them. WRONG. Nothing I saw in the entire hotel was new. Everything was extremely old. The beds were vey old and the mattresses were nasty and stained. They had a weird musty smell when you laid down on them. YUK! I came straight home and stripped our pillow cases to be washed with our other blankets we had taken with us. They told us the roof had been replaced over the past winter, but several people we talked to had rooms with leaks. I actually got leaked on in the "so called laundry room" while trying to dry a load of wet towels. The dryers did not work. We finally just packed up the wet towels to bring home and wash and dry them. After visiting a family member in The Comfort Suites a few blocks down from us, I really was ashamed for them to see our place and the Gazebo rated a lot higher on Trip Advisor than their Comfort Inn......BIG JOKE. The pool area was never cleaned by any one while we were there those 3 days and nights. The hot tub looked so NASTY like was filled with brown Lake water. I usually don't write many of these reviews unless I am extremely happy or extremely disappointed. And, I bet by now you can guess I wasn't extremey happy!!!!! I always try to get a nice, clean room for my family without paying fortune basing a lot of my decision on Trip Advisor. And the guy that posted pictures last year and they asked him how long he had those pictures because now the place had been renovated........lots of the exact same things in his pictures are exacty the same. This is definitely my LAST trip to this dive.

15  Thank vdf1199
gazebojulie, Owner at Gazebo Inn Ocean Front, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2013

Mr. & Mrs. Fisher,

I am sorry that you did not take the time to voice your dissatisfaction with our property while you were here. Had you done so, I would have made sure that your concerns were addressed or a refund given if you would have rather found accommodations elsewhere that better met your expectations. I have never been in the habit of keeping people's money if they are unhappy with us for whatever reason. That just doesn't make sense to me. Since you choose not to speak to me or any of my staff about these issues while you were here, I will gladly address the main points of your review now.

First and foremost I would like to say that the pictures you have posted in your review do not give a fair view of our property. If they did, we certainly would not have received all of the favorable reviews by other guests that are posted currently on this site. We are very fortunate in that we have a group of HARD working ladies in our housekeeping department that do an excellent job at keeping the hotel clean from top to bottom. Most of these women have worked for our family for many years, and they take a great deal of pride in their work. I stand behind each and everyone of them 110%.

As to the size and condition of the rooms, we are a small, family owned and operated property that strives to offer clean, cozy rooms at a very REASONABLE rate. You stayed in an OCEAN FRONT room with two queen sized beds, efficiency kitchen, and private balcony for the dates of June 4, 5, and 6th at a rate of $74 per night. I think most folks would agree that is a VERY low rate, for a nice "Mom and Pop" (not a dive) hotel. These are very decent sized rooms that most families find to be quite adequate, especially for the price. If you were interested in a larger suite, you could have paid a much higher price at the Comfort Inn and Suites and received the amenities that you were apparently looking for. Our beds are not old and dirty, and they certainly do not smell.

Next lets talk about the many upgrades that we DID in fact make over the winter months to include a NEW roof, NEW WI FI system, NEW security system with security cameras on each floor as well as parking and pool decks, NEW custom rocking chairs on all ocean front balconies, a NEW privacy fence on the lower parking deck, and NEW exterior doors. We DID in fact REPLACE the ENTIRE roof this past fall, and do not have any leaks (knock on wood). You stayed during tropical storm Andrea, and the water you are speaking of was blowing in thru some of the balcony doors and air conditioner sleeves of some of the ocean front rooms during the heaviest of the rain and wind on the night of the 6th. You are the only guest to complain about that. Everyone else understood that we cannot control the weather and instead took it in stride and were quite satisfied when we dried the carpets for them in the morning. Speaking of carpets they were all replaced 4 years ago, and we have them cleaned several times a year to include the week before you arrived. Please keep in mind that we are an ocean front property and it is impossible to keep them spotless with people constantly coming in and out from the pool and the beach, often times wet and sandy. As for the so called mold that you point out in one of your pictures at the balcony door, that IS not mold but also I am guessing caused by water coming in from the storm. I checked the room you stayed in after reading this review and did not find it there anymore.

You have also posted a picture that you think is of a smoke alarm being powered by an extension cord. That is not a smoke alarm. The disc shaped item that you are speaking of is a booster for the WIFI system, and the black box is a security camera. None of this equipment is powered by extension cords. This is a concrete and steel building. You cannot run wire inside the walls like you can with sheetrock. These items were wired by a licensed electrician and I assure you are up to code and are safe. The only point in your review that has any possible merit is the fact that one of the dryers was not heating well. Another guest brought that to my attention. The guest that reported this issue received additional money from the front desk to run extra cycles and the dryer was then fixed.

With all of that being said, I can say without hesitation that I stand behind what we do here at the Gazebo Inn without exception and feel that we offer one of the best values in Myrtle Beach. We are not perfect, but we do bend over backwards to offer a clean, quiet, and inexpensive family friendly vacation experience to anyone that stays with us. All I can say is that in the future perhaps you should not expect to receive a full five course meal when you are only willing to pay for a hamburger.

Regads,

Owner

Reviewed 3 June 2013

I grew up staying on vacation at the small family owned Clem-n-tine motel that was located near the Pavilion when I was a young girl. I always loved the environment and family feel of a small motel. When I got older and started coming to Myrtle Beach with my own family, I looked for a motel with the same hospitality and friendliness that I knew as a child, with little or no success, because at the time, I was not aware of the Gazebo Inn. Instead we bought a camper and began our family beach camping adventures. After selling my camper recently due to having an empty nest now and rarely using it, I found and have stayed a few times at the Gazebo Inn. As a 911 dispatcher from North Carolina, I definitely need to relax when I go to the beach due to our long hours and rotating shifts that we work and a job that is full of stress. When I walked into the Gazebo Inn for the first time, I was very impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. It is just what I have been looking for! It is a clean, well kept, reasonably priced motel with all of the amenities that I need. The rooms are immaculate and the property had just been renovated during my last stay. Restaurants are within walking distance and i love being able to just walk out onto the beach from the pool deck. I was happy to see that the old owners had taken back over the property and many improvements have been made. I am trying to plan at least a weekend trip back there this month from some relaxation! I enjoy coming here and plan to enjoy many more trips here in the future. They always make me feel like family during my stays here! Would definitely recommend it to all of my family and friends!

Room Tip: I stayed in a side view room and still had a great view of the ocean! Think I will try a Gazebo room...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank oceanlakes1964
DavidandArlene, Manager at Gazebo Inn Ocean Front, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

Thank you for your review. We try very hard to be a "family friendly" motel with a warm family feeling. We are glad that you found that here. We look forward to your future visits and glad you are telling your friends about us. Thanks again

Reviewed 20 May 2013

This was my 2nd time staying there. The rooms, pool and hot tub are clean. The staff is very nice. I enjoyed my stay both times and plan on coming back real soon. Did I stay you can't beat the price. I have stayed in many different hotel in Myrtle Beach over the last 7years and have payed double the money for less room space, cleanliness and view. I have to say that the Gazeboo Inn beat them out hands down. So don't judge a hotel by what it look like on the outside because what's in the inside that really counts. Thanks Gazeboo Inn: Ms. Williams from Greenwood S.C.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Ellen W
DavidandArlene, Owner at Gazebo Inn Ocean Front, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your 2nd stay and we hope you will enjoy many more stays with us.

Reviewed 26 April 2013

I'll be the first to admit I am a hotel snob-When I was looking for something reasonably priced, but yet clean, at the beach, I saw many great reviews for this place, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I am glad I did!! Julie is wonderful!! I felt welcome from the minute I walked in the door (which I was actually 2 hours early) She gave me a choice of rooms, let me know roofwork was being done. I found some plaster from the ceiling that had fallen due to the vibration, so she showed me 2 other rooms. I had room 1310, oceanfront. Gorgeous oceanview!! I initially had a slow drain in the bathroom sink, which she made sure was fixed promptly. The only minus was that I prefer a blanket to go w/the bedsheets and comforter. I had asked for one and she left one for me when I returned. So you may want to bring one with you, but if you forget, talk to Julie or "mom". She has law enforcement and military members in her family, which rang close to my heart as I am a 911 dispatcher and an army brat. She has pictures proudly displayed in the hallways. This is a quiet place, is close to everything but yet far enough away from the noise and tourist traps. The Skywheel is just 2 miles down the road. If you like Starbucks, there is one directly across from Breakers Resort which is about a 2 1/4 miles; it's a great way to get some exercise( I would jog there and walk along the beach on the way back). The temperatures were a little on the cool side this week with the exception of a couple of days, but I did not use the pool. If you are looking for top of the line upscale standards, look elsewhere. If you are looking for well priced, clean, comfortable, friendly "home feeling" accomodations, stay here. I can only hope it doesn't rain next weekend so I can return back for a few days before my vacation is officially over. Thank you Julie and "mom" for making my stay here enjoyable and relaxed!!! (there is no adjoining restaurant or fitness center, which is why it isn't rated)

Room Tip: I had room 1310 which is at the end, oceanfront and has a great view in both directions!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Susan M

Thank you for your review. We truely enjoy having guests like you staying with us, even though
you are a "hotel snob" LOL We were glad that you were pleased with your visit and we look forward to your next one. Julie's dad david