“SOOOOOO thankful I found this place!!”

Gazebo Inn Ocean Front
Ranked #48 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Clover, South Carolina
“SOOOOOO thankful I found this place!!”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I have been looking for a safe and affordable Inn to stay at with my children. We take off for a few days to the beach often. We were staying at Ocean Lakes the week of 4th of July and it was waaay too crowded!! So I set off to find a room with the kids. The first place I went scared the excrement out of me and we ran from that place. I spotted the Gazebo Inn just driving by and thought it was cute...why not call. We LOVED the ocean front room for very reasonable price! You can't beat this deal. They are very family friendly and I would recommend this place to any of my friends!!! I felt sooo safe with the kids as they have cameras everywhere and don't allow riff raff to stay at their Inn! Plus they are set back off the main road which adds extra feeling of protection that no one will just wonder into the hotel. THRILLED I have found my place to go!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Rebecca W
Myrtle Beach J, Owner at Gazebo Inn Ocean Front, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
We are so happy that you found us too!!! We really strive to offer our guests a clean, cozy, family friendly, safe vacation experience for a very reasonable rate. I am absolutely thrilled that we seem to be achieving that goal. The success of our business greatly depends on repeat business so I am very happy to hear that we have earned yours. We truly appreciate your business and we are looking forward to seeing you the next time you are at the beach.

Warm Regards,
Julie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stay each year at this hotel and love the way the Perkins family takes care of their customers. I wouldn't stay anywhere else. This is the way to enjoy Myrtle Beach. A nice, clean, uncrowded pool and beach just a short trip away from everything! We love this place!!!! Just what you need to really enjoy vacation the way it is meant to be. The staff is awesome!!!!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Susan R
Thank you for the awesome review! It was wonderful having you and your family as our guests once again, and I am so happy to hear that you had such a fabulous time. We really enjoying seeing the same folks year after year. It really make it feel like a family style beach house around here when we do. We sincerely appreciate your business, and we are looking forward to seeing you again on your next visit to the beach!

Warm Regards,
Waynesville, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My family and I arrived at the Gazebo expecting exactly what they offer: A cheap hotel with a bed and a bible. I'm good with that. The LAST thing I would ever do at the beach is spend more time in the room than I'd have to. Here comes the fun part: I have a 20 month old sister. She spills things. (Spoiler Alert: She is a baby). She spilled chips in the floor. We would ask housekeeping to clean while we swam in the ocean. Every time when we would come back, the floors would be vacuumed and there would be fresh towels. That was the entire cleaning service. The trash cans still had trash, the beds weren't made. Still, I couldn't complain. In fact, personally I could care less. After all, it was my sweat I was sleeping in, just like home. I overlooked a lot of things. Here are a few and the reasons I overlooked them: The hot tub was built for the lollipop guild. Seriously I've seen mud holes bigger than this thing. I overlooked it because the beach is cooler than any hot tub. The floors always seemed damp but I figure that's because of the ocean. Finally, the air conditioner sounds like a 500 pound elephant sounding off. That was fine because my mom and girlfriend both have sleep apnea. I'm used to loud noises. Let me list some positives too because this is a balanced review. The Wifi is bar none. I didn't have one problem while my family and I used 4 devices. The shower installed outside has the absolute perfect temperature. Not hot or cold. Finally the hotel is away from the hustle of North Myrtle Beach. Considering I literally witnessed the aftermath of a shooting while sitting at Friendly's in North Myrtle, this is a big plus. But no, this isn't the good or the bad that ruined the vacation. 4 minutes before we check out, WE are asked to vacuum and pick up the trash. My dad and I had no problem doing this. In fact, we understood. Albeit a bit peeved on the trash part. No matter, in fact this didn't ruin the vacation. What ruined it was being told (ahem, threatened) we would be charged a cleaning fee. I'm sorry, but what?! Ms. Julie, you're right, you have the best rates on the Eastern Seaboard. We have been coming for 4 years now, but alas, all good things come to an end. Thanks for the memories. I gave you a 2 because not everyone on your staff is bad, just you. Keep practicing that low rate slogan in the mirror. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel. Sleep outside if no other options are available. You'll thank me later.
4 Thank Ajcaldwell
Myrtle Beach J, Owner at Gazebo Inn Ocean Front, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
It is always a shame when we have a guest say that they will never stay with us again, however I am a little bit confused about some of your complaints. You state in your review that you have stayed with us on 4 different occasions however you seem dissatisfied with some of the hotel amenities to include the hot tub. We are small, older Mom and Pop hotel not a large resort with all of the bells and whistles that go along with the much larger nightly rate to include larger pools, spas, and lazy rivers. It is the same pool and hot tub that we have always had and that apparently didn't offend you on your previous visits. Most guests are satisfied with it.

As you yourself mentioned in your review, our rates are extremely low. In order to offer these rates, we have to limit our added services and amenities and control our costs. Its not a speech, it is basic economics. Think of us as the Costco of the resort industry. No bags or boxes just great deals. You are not paying five star rates, therefore we cannot offer five star service. Our housekeepers give our guests daily maid to service to include cleaning the bathroom, emptying the trash, vacuuming the floors, and making the beds. The guests are responsible for doing their own dishes on a daily basis. Sometimes guests ask not to be disturbed as was the case with you and your family, and want the housekeepers to just take out the trash and leave fresh towels. Unfortunately this sometimes leaves for a very rough checkout. As stated in the check-in hand out that you were given when you arrived, a $25 cleaning fee will be charged to any guests that do not have their dishes washed or put away at check out or who have excessive trash or carpets that need to be shampooed, ECT when they leave. nobody threatened you sir we simply gave you the option of going back to wash your dishes and at least put the excessive trash and food that was on the floor in a bag or be charged the very REASONABLE $25 fee. I am sorry that this option offended you, however I find that most folks prefer the reminder over having their credit card automatically charged.

In closing I would sincerely like to thank you for pointing out the things that you were happy with, to include the free WIFI. I would also like to apologize for what apparently was a loud A/C . Being an older hotel we do not have central air. Sometimes these units can become loud and will need to be switched out. We have someone available 24 hours a day to address any needed repairs. Had you reported the issue to us, we would have gladly replaced the unit for you. In fact the next guest did and it was promptly replace with a new one that barely made a whisper. With that said, I regret that you were so dissatisfied with the last 4 minutes of your stay, so much so that you will seek other accommodations on your next visit to the beach. I wish you the best of luck with your next vacation spot, and I truly hope that they are able to offer you the services and amenities that you are seeking for the price that you are willing to pay.

Regards,
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My family and I decided that we wanted to take our 19 month old foster daughter to the beach for 5 days. She had never been and we had stayed at Gazebo Inn before and loved it. We loved the cheaper rates but had a wonderful vacation. This time seem to be no different. Our 19 month old foster child is just learning how to eat. She loves chips and cheerios and so we would let her hold one chip at a time and she would eat it but while eating it she would drop pieces in the carpet the same with cheerios. We had told the maid service that we were willing to vacuum the room, the lady said no she understood that she was a baby. We even apologized to her for the chip mess, and she told us it was alright. Only one day did we refuse maid service and that was our first day there, because everyone was asleep but me. The morning we were leaving I stacked the trash at the trash can because only and I mean only the bathroom trash had been changed once and we had to ask for toilet paper from the front desk. The kitchen trash had not been changed at all. There were chip crumbs again that morning. When housekeeping showed up we were packing our things and the lady informed us we better clean our own room or we would be charged a fee. So we bagged up all trash, vacuumed the room, washed down everything except the sand in the bath tub. I was furious because we had to make sure the room was clean when all they had done all 4 days that we asked for maid service was vacuum, and washed the bathtub down once. One of those days we sat out on the bath tub while they supposedly cleaned the room and all the maid did was vacuum and switch the towels out. Not one time was the beds made by them,. When we went to check out I informed JULIE that I did not understand why we had to clean the room. she said, well your room has been really trashy, and we have had to bring in extra staff to clean it, and we have tried to catch you to talk to you about it. Not one time was there a phone call, a door knock, a note left, or my cell phone called about this matter. There was only 2 maids on the floor that we were on, and there was only 2 that day. I explained to her that I had a 19 month old, and she said no 19 month old should make that kind of mess, but you know she doesn't know her situation, nor did she care, nor is it any of her business. I explained to her that we offered to vacuum but the lady had said no, and Julie kept saying, Well we offer low rates for our customers and we expect you to clean up after your self. Good Lord we tried! I told her not to worry we would never be back and that I would be telling friends, family that if you stay at Gazebo you better not bring young messy kids, and you need to clean your room, so that they can bring in extra help just for your room that you cleaned. She waited until we were getting on the elevator to go to the parking garage and yelled I will be charging your credit card a cleaning fee. I laughed because I have never met a more Mean Spirited woman who will die to have the last word. I know Julie will have some kind of smart comment to write about this because she has to have the last word. But my concern is the heath standards of the room, if we had to clean our room, who else has had too? Also our mattress did not fit the bed and I had fell in the floor from that. The shower head had been super glued together and broke off when we went to adjust it. Sure the rates are cheaper, but it's not worth it to be treated so awful. But my thing is even with the rates being cheaper the motel is cheap too, because what kind of motel has mattress that do not fit the bed, and shower heads super glued together? Beware if you stay there. Julie I know your just as glad as we are that we won't be back, and we were one of your returning customers! You did not ruin our vacation or our day, we will be continuing to pray for your attitude to change toward children. Good luck with your cheap motel!

6 Thank jennifer2612
Hello again. I have been expecting to hear from you and I have to say that you certainly didn't disappoint me with your outrageous review! You made it pretty clear at check out that you and your husband were not interested in listening to an explanation (even though you were asking for one) so once again for you as well as for all of the folks at home allow me to recount the actual play by play of this 4 day adventure.

First and foremost, we certainly DO NOT expect our guests to clean their own rooms. We do however expect our guests to treat the property with a reasonable amount of respect to include keeping the room that you have rented in a manner in which the housekeeper can service it daily without spending an excessive amount of time. The entire time that you were here your room was kept in such a terrible state that the housekeeper literally could not do much daily with it in that of servicing it. Your beds were always COVERED in PILES of clothing and personal belongings. We do not allow our housekeepers to mover personal effects for obvious reasons. This is a standard practice in the industry.

In addition, she was unable to do much in the way of vacuuming because as was the case with the beds, the floors were so cluttered with miscellaneous items that you literally could not walk thru from one end of the room to the other. The areas that were somewhat clear were so covered with mashed in food and chips that she would first have to sweep up the chips and cookies, then scrub and scrape the rest of the food up with a scrub brush and hand held shampooer before she was able to run the vacuum. We understand and expect children to make a bit of a mess, but your room was beyond ridiculous.

Lets not even get to involved with the bathroom except to say that the best she could do there was leave new towels and toilet paper and take out the soiled linen, much of which had to be tossed out. Contrary to your opinion, we ARE very concerned about sanitizing all of our rooms for the next guest and I wouldn't want to offer those towels to anyone else even after putting them through several cycles in a commercial washing machine.

Last but not least, the kitchen. Oh my, the kitchen. When each of guests check in we explain to them verbally as well as in writing in the check in hand out that the housekeepers will give you daily maid service however they do not do dishes. Each guests is expected to wash and put away all of their dishes before checkout. Again, for the extremely low rates that we charge the housekeepers have to be able to handle several rooms a day. They cannot do that if they have to wash dishes, ECT. Your kitchen was a DISASTER. The head of housekeeping who was very much aware of the state of your room simply reminded you that if you did not clean up your kitchen and excess trash before check out that you would be charged a VERY REASONABLE cleaning fee of $25, which apparently sent you over the edge.

When you came up to check out you made it very clear how you felt about a MAID telling YOU that you needed to clean up the kitchen and the floor or you would be charged a fee. You said that was ridiculous and that is what a MAID is paid to do. I tried to explain to you that in order to do the type of cleaning that your room required we would have to have more staff, which of course would increase the cost to our guests. You didn't want to hear it and slammed the shower head that you broke off (it was not super glued on, sorry) down on the counter and stormed out declaring that you will never return. I certainly did not chasse you to the elevator madam, I did however thank you for that promise and told you that I should have charged your credit card for the damages that were done to the room by you and your family.

As a footnote I would also like to say that you were asked several times via note and phone to come to the office so that we could talk about the condition of your room. Those requests were ignored daily. What I should have done was charged your card at time if needed or asked you and your family to check out. A decision that I certainly regret. Better luck to you and your family at the next hotel that you decide to grace with your presence. I am just thankful that will never again be mine.

Summerville, SC
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Typically I would stay in a more popular chain hotel as I am normally very picky where I stay. However, we planned just a quick 2 night stay to the Myrtle Beach area, not what I would consider a "vacation" but just a quick stay over for a quick weekend break. Due to the time of season we decided to go, prices in Myrtle Beach are outrageous so I was looking for a "great deal". In reviewing TripAdvisor I came across this hotel. After reading all the reviews and checking the price, I figured "why not" and we gave it a try. I am glad we did for the most part. This is a locally, family owned hotel. Nothing "frilly" about it. In fact, if I had just drove by, I probably would have never considered stopping in. It is a old, small hotel, but they do keep it clean. Staff was very nice and accommodating when we asked questions for directions or anything. We had booked a room with 2 double beds and were told it came with refrigerator and microwave. We were surprised to arrive and it was a FULL SIZE fridge, which I had never saw before in a hotel room unless it was an efficiency. Room was nice size, corner room with balcony with ocean view. We were on the side of the hotel so we actually overlooked the pool in neighboring hotel, but still had plenty of view of the ocean. Saw housekeepers on occasions and they were all friendly as well. Only major problem was parking. If you drive a small car, then you will not have any issues, but unfortunately we drive a 4WD full size truck when traveling. That was a major problem. The hotel has a parking lot as you enter the premises but it only holds about 30 parking spots. 6 of those spots are marked "for tall/big size vehicles"........ Every room is only allowed 1 vehicle on the premises, which is usually no big deal I would not think as most people travel together. However, it you come back to hotel late at night (meaning after 7:30 p.m.) the entire 30 spots are already taken and you are directed to park in the underground parking garage located under the hotel. The clearance for this parking garage is only 6'6". That left less than 1/4" space between our roof and the cement pilings of the garage. I know this because every night we returned to the hotel there were never enough spots and we forced to the garage, which would have been no big deal if we were in a car. Once you are able to confirm you can clear the low clearance there is virtually no "turning space" in the garage to even pull in and park. My husband is very good at parking his truck in tight spaces, etc. however it took us about 20 minutes to park the first night because of all the maneuvering you have to do to move a big vehicle down there. The hotel could easily alleviate this problem by when people check in and they ask you what you drive (which they do) they should require all small vehicles to park in garage so entire top deck is left for over flow cars and big vehicles. When we came back the first night there were lots of VERY small cars (like Smart cars) parked up top, which they had no business parking up there when they could have easily parked in garage. That was the only issue of this hotel. Of course no free breakfast, no free shampoos or mints on your pillow, but that is not the style of this hotel, and I was not expecting such. Other than the parking issue, I would return to this hotel again if we were to go to Myrtle Beach for a quick trip. It had pool facilities but I never got a chance to go view those so I can not comment on those. I do know pool closed at 10:00 at night and no exceptions to that rule. They have cameras EVERYWHERE in this hotel so the staff keeps an eye on the entire property. If I were to travel as a single mom with children, I would feel comfortable staying here (as long as I was driving a small car!) The hotel is old, but it is kept clean. Not located within walking distance of "happenings" on the strip (at least not my walking distance) which I liked since not in the middle of the hustle and bustle. There was an ice cream/hot dog shop across the street but other than that, plan to walk a great distance to get anywhere, or plan to drive and lost your parking spot.

1 Thank TLuntsford
Myrtle Beach J, Owner at Gazebo Inn Ocean Front, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your positive experience with other travelers. I am so happy that you gave us a try, and that you are happy that you did. Its great to know that you found us to be clean, friendly, and very reasonably priced. We are a family owned and operated little "Mom & Pop" hotel not a fancy 5 star resort. I happy that we met your expectations and then some. It sounds like you enjoyed your stay, other than the parking which we do realize can be a challenge. We wish there was something that could be done about the limited space that is available to us, but unfortunately we are already making use of what the lot will allow in that regard. We try our best to police the upper deck as much as we possibly can, and encourage the smaller vehicles to park on the lower level whenever possible. Since there is literally only one parking space available per room and we do not know in advance what each guest will be driving, we are unable to assign parking. I can tell you that we do guarantee each of our guests a parking space, and if a large vehicle comes back that cannot fit below, we will make arrangements to open up an upper level spot for that guest. With that said I would certainly like to thank you for your patience with the parking and also for your business. Our success is based greatly on repeat business so it is certainly our sincere hope that you will choose to stay with us again the next time you in myrtle beach. Many thanks!

Best,
Rock Hill, South Carolina
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This was a last minute vacation to Myrtle Beach. Okay hotel for the money, but will try to book a newer hotel early enough to get good rates next time. Rooms were clean enough. A little concerned about the beds. Even with the mattress covers they still looked dirty. Front desk stated they were updating. I think beds should have been first on the list. Also the air conditioning units are old and noisy. We had to turn ours up to 75 so that it would not kick on at night and rattle and keep us awake. The cleaning staff was wonderful and kept clean towels in the room at all times. They were also very friendly saying hello anytime you saw them. If you are low on cash this is a good enough hotel to stay at, but definitely not somewhere I would make a habit of coming back to.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Myrtle Beach J, Owner at Gazebo Inn Ocean Front, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. I am sorry that you had a couple of issues with your room. I wish that you had reported them while you were here so that we could have taken care of them for you. We could have easily changed out the A/C for you if it was noisy. I honestly don't know what you are talking about in regards to the beds as all of the ocean front rooms were replaced this year and the side rooms which are only a couple of years old were professionally cleaned and encased this spring. It is impossible to keep our rates this low as they are (you paid $79 per night for an ocean view room with a kitchen) and replace everything in the room each year. We are perfect for folks that are not looking for all of the bells and whistles that a resort offers, but instead are happy with a clean and comfy family friendly place for a fraction of the price. I am happy to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful, and that over all the property was clean. It sounds like it just wasn't the kind of vacation experience that you are use to having, and as you mentioned perhaps next time you should book ahead at one of the large resorts at a higher price so that you wont be disappointed. We appreciated your business just the same, and we certainly hope that you are able to find what you are looking for the next time you are at the beach.

Best Regards,
Reviewed 24 June 2014

my girl and I arrived at 0630 in the morning and planned to sprawl on the sand until 2pm when our checkin arrived. I called the desk at 0900 and within a half hour we were in our room. going back in oct. just love the family feel of this place and the great rates and staff!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank flan2814
Myrtle Beach J, Owner at Gazebo Inn Ocean Front, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Hi Guys! I am so happy that we were able to get you into your room early and that you had such a nice time while you were here. That is great. I guess that is one of the nice things about staying in a little "Mom & Pop" hotel. There is nothing worse that being just another check-in at one of the big fancy joints. We truly appreciate your business, and It is wonderful to hear that you plan on staying with us again in October. The fall is such a beautiful time at the beach, and I am so happy that you will be staying here with us we you come. Many thanks and best wishes to you both for a fabulous summer. See you in the fall!

Best regards,