“Bates Motel would have been better!” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Days Inn Myrtle Beach-Grand Strand
Ranked #150 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“Bates Motel would have been better!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

My husband and I are relocating to the Myrtle Beach area. I found the hotel online and booked that way as well. Boy I wish I looked this website up first! When we first arrived at the hotel we had to stand there for a minute waiting for the front desk woman to get off the phone before she even looked at us. After she finally got off the phone she checked us in but was very stern and unwelcoming. Got in the room unpacked and settled in to find that once our shoes were off the carpet was so dirty that your socks would stick to the carpet, the toilet wouldn't stop flushing, and the tv was making a horrible noise. Finally after three calls down she switched us to another room. So repacked and unpacked, moved to the new room just to have the same sticky carpets but with an added bonus. The felling in the bathroom was covered in mold and looked like it was going to fall in. The next morning I went down to speak with the lady about leaving that crap hole, but in a nice way....lol. She was very rude and said no cause we booked online and there is no way out. I asked to speak to the manager in which I was then told hecwas on vacation and she wasn't calling him and that there was no one else to call. I got upset and left the lobby. On my way out the very nice cleaning lady told me that the owner was coming in later and she would let us know when he was here. My husband went down to talk to her to find her playing on the computer and purposely ignoring him. She finally looked up at him and said I have no idea why you are standing there I'm not calling anyone for you. After all this we walked right accross the street to The Sea Crest Hotel and got a room for only $7 more a night. But they are clean on the beach and have so many features there are too many to mention. We did meet with the owner who was very understanding and did refund the money. However, when we came back to get our refund we were made to deal with the rude lady again. Plus she was overly nice with no apology what so ever. It was so apparent that she was playing a smart a** to put it in nice words.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Karen A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Rembert
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

wife and i needed a getaway so i found this hotel threw work cuz i get a discount the room was dirty the sink had mold growing in it the grout was black coffee maker had grinds and mold in it the bed need to be replaced 20 yrs ago the frame is 2x4 and the matress and box spring are like a trampoline the eletric socket was black and burned the furniture is from the 80s carpet black! owners need to start a remodel and preventive plan!

Room Tip: bring extra socks for the room !
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Hazleton, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

we had a suite and it was real sweet alright the room had a terrible smell of cleaning agent it was running down the front of the a/c , a/c worked good the shower was wacky always would get hotter the 3 rooms next to ours were ripped apart every thing in the rooms was standing up.
we saw the exterminator vist both days we were there , we did not see any bugs the matterses were shot if you got too close to the edge when sleepin you'd fall out of bed.
There was no ice buckets

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank shawn903233
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

This second-row hotel was clean, quiet and comfortable. The small fridge and microwave in the room were convenient. Management must pay attention to TripAdvisor, because we didn't experience any of the problems cited in previous reports. The bed was comfortable, we had plenty of towels, and the room was thoroughly cleaned each day.

We got one of the rooms directly above the office, overlooking Ocean Blvd. The insulated windows muted all street noise, and these rooms are bigger than others in the building. Ask for room 200 or 300.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TripReportsInfo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

First let me start off with how the service here is unprofessional. when I first came to check in staff was unfriendly, no hello how can I help you but they did mention to hide all valuables in car because cars get broken into.. The place smells like urine and maintenance on this property is the WORST!!! when you walk into the room its a whole other story.... This place looks cheap no iron in rooms because people steal them. Patches on walls, spider webs on ceilings. This Days Inn is a DISGRACE!!! The only thing good about this place is location,its close to everything. I been to other locations and its been better then this but this has left a bad taste so I WOULD NEVER CHECK IN A DAYS INN EVER!!!

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Entity7
Guilford, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

i booked a room here through my mothers time share.My son and I were there for 5 nights for his college orientation. The room was clean but pretty run down. No remote for TV. The door wouldn't seal tightly, the A/c was not even close to keeping up. I am pretty sure their was a family living in the room next to us. We were stuck way in the back of the building. It was only 99.00 a night so I didn't complain too much. I took a drive down the beach and found signs everywhere for ocean front rooms for 79.00! ended up moving to a beachfront room with kitchen for 99.00 per night.
I gladly paid the 2 nights we stayed and asked for a credit for the other 3 I had booked. They would only credit me 2 nights, so that screwed me out of a a hundred bucks for the third night even though they had the room filled that afternoon when I came back to check out! Lots of better rooms on the ocean for the same cost. DON'T STAY HERE!

Room Tip: Lots of better rooms for the same money. Look around. beach front rooms everywhere.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

Here is what I sent as a complaint email to Days Inn online regarding this motel. I just copied and pasted:

Where do I begin? I would love to be able to submit photos of the room we were in, but I don't see a way to do so. I will just do that on a review website instead. Anyway, now that I just arrived home from my 2 night stay at this hotel, I have made my son imeediately take a long bath and the 1st thing I did was shower the residue of filth off. I am also washing every piece of clothing, worn or not, to try to rid my home of the disgust of this motel. Upon arrival to the hotel check-in was ok as expected per level of service that a Days Inn would offer, (Mickey was kind enough to ignore all phone calls while helping customers in the office). When walking ino the room, the 1st thing I noticed was the constant driping of water from the ceiling by the window. The 2nd thing that happened was my young child being locked into the bathroom for 15 minutes before we could get him out. The doorknob was broken and would lock you in the bathroom if you shut the door, so after it happened again, all 5 of us learned that we had to use the restroom with the door open. The dingy bedcovers were then stripped down to the sheets because I refused to let anyone in my family sit on these dirty unwashed bedspreads or blankets. I also went and bought 5 towels and 5 washcloths 2 days in a row because I could not allow my children or ourselves to touch the caramel colored linens that are supposed to be white towels. However, the one thing I cannot complain about are the sheets. They seemed clean and were white, maybe a fresh order came in the day before, who knows? I have a photo of the dirt and filth in the bathroom, and best of all, I ahve a photo of the 2-3 inch gap under our door caused from rotting or corrosion. A small CAT could have fit under our door! This is not noticeable from the outside because they have placed metal plates at the bottom of the door. This would have helped fill the gap had it not been pried open by someone attempting to brek in to the room in the past years.. or whatever else the scenario may be. I could not eloquently capture a photo of the famiy who LIVES on the first floor and has the room decorated like a Margarita bar with women resembling prostitutes in and out. This whole places reaks of rotting trash and I had to hold my nose going up and down the 3 story staircase (becuase of course there is no elevator). Why didn't I complain in person you ask? Because there was no point. This whole place is horrible. Most of the problems were maintenance issues that would have long been fixed had the management cared one bit. When we called to ask for an iron, no one would answer th phone for about 30 minutes so we just went and got one. The same night (our first night) I called to inquire about leaving early and I never could get an answer from the front desk. This place simply does not employ the calibur of people who understand that guests pay thier bills, they see us as a nuisance. Why would I want to talk to anyone there about my experience? Hopefully, as a franchise, someone cares and will reprimand the ownership or management of this motel immediately. I mean seriously, this place is so bad I gagged several times for no reason.. and I wouldnt eat or drink anything confined in the room.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family