“Worst stay ever”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Myrtle Beach at 48th Avenue
Ranked #44 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Worst stay ever”
Reviewed 11 August 2012 via mobile

Room was not numbered took several minutes to find ... After finding the room it was right next to the boiler room which made noise all night kids running up and down the hall all hours of the night ... Was an altercation on the floor I was staying cops were there .... Didn't feel safe staying there til I saw the cops only for a short time ... Worst place to stay

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Jasmo31

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Dissatisfied Long Term Customer
Whenever we have stayed in Myrtle Beach, SC, for the last 4 or 5 years, we have stayed at the La Quinta on 48th St. What a disaster this stay was. In fact, it will be our last stay there until several of the issues are resolved. In fact, I sent I sent an email about this issue to customer service a week ago. They have not responded. What does that tell you?
We checked in 7/29/2012, and we were scheduled to check out on 7/31/2012. However, if the weather was nice we were going to stay one or 2 more days. The weather was great, but we did not stay. We were assigned Room 238. True we asked to check in early, and we were allowed to check in at 12 o’clock. Since we were allowed to check at 12, we expected the room to be ready.
The issues:
• Poorly vacuumed – halls and room
• Bathroom shower has molding needing repair
• Light over sink- no light in one – thought was bulb – person came up to change light – not light claimed may have been ballast. To be fixed when we left
• Mildew on shower curtain
• Shower chair had a slat not connected
• Elevator needed cleaning (floors and walls dirty)

Wait there is more! I need internet service because I do online tutoring with Tutor.com. I could not connect to the Internet. I called the front desk immediately upon check in thinking I needed a password. No, I was told just turn on the computer and you will have access. I shut the computer off and still no internet. The front desk told me they would check with the service provider, but never got back to me. In the early evening I called the front desk, and I was told it might be the weather. I never did get access.

The next day I called 1st thing in the morning. This person told they have problems with” intermittent service at “that” end of building.” He would check. After a while, I called down to speak to the manager. Like on my past stays, she was very nice. She said she would check the access points. I asked if I could be moved if that did not work. She said okay. When I tried it 20 min. later, it worked but was not very fast. We left and came back later. Connection was too slow to maintain access to Tutor.com server. As the day went on the connection got worse. I just gave it up. Unfortunately, it cost me some work, but that is not the issue.

We have stayed in this hotel for the last 4 or 5 Thanksgivings. After our last stay, I comment that the hotel needed an upgrade on a survey you sent me. This time it was worse. Rooms’ and halls’ carpeting are in serious need of shampooing or replacing. It gives the impression of shabbiness.

This year we will not spend Thanksgiving in Myrtle Beach at the La Quinta Inn. Unfortunately, we will change venues to Va. Beach. I will consider the La Quinta there, but if the deterioration of the 48th Street property is an indication of La Quinta’s, we will select a different chain. We have usually stayed at your hotels when we traveled, but we may have to find a different chain.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Evans, Georgia
Reviewed 7 August 2012

This La Quinta hotel is a rising star, thanks to hotel manager, Cheryl. She is accommodating, pleasant, and very courteous. She is also dedicated to improving the status of the hotel. While we were there the landscaping received a makeover and the entire interior of the hotel received a fresh coat of paint. Further, two La Quinta executives were there. Why? . . . because Cheryl was trying to convince them that this property was worth a significant upgrade investment. We wish her luck in her improvement plans. The superb quality of our mattress makes me suspect that she has been in the process of upgrading for some time.
One of the hotel's best assets is its location: 2 blocks from the beach in a gorgeous residential area.
The total Myrtle Beach experience as a vacation destination is fair-to-middling. The central area is a seedy version of Disney World. If Dolly World is your cup of tea, you can go to Pirates Voyage. This dinner show is typical of Myrtle Beach, which is often nicknamed the Redneck Riviera.
The quality room maid service was inconsistent, ranging to below average to superb. However, we would stay at this LQ on the corner of 48th Ave North and Kings Highway again, and we will recommend it to friends.
ADVICE: Don't travel to Myrtle Beach via highway 501 on a weekend during high season. If you do, you'll likely be in traffic gridlock for 50-plus miles.
MORE ADVICE: Hunting Beach State Park, 20 miles south of Myrtle Beach is worth a visit.

Room Tip: We paid a bit extra to have a corner suite. It was worth it.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jim D
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 August 2012

The staff was friendly and hepful from the time we checked in till the time we checked out. The hotel is a little old but you can tell they have worked hard to keep it updated. Flat screens, new bedding ect. Breakfast was good and ontime, well stocked. Had plenty of parking. Would stay there again

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Perfect room for our family of 4 & 2 dogs, we enjoyed stay at this La Quinta, the staff was extremely freindly & helpful. you could leave the dog in the room while you go out to eat or whatever. Love that they didn"t charge for pet fee, and only 2 blocks from the ocean, also free breakfast every morning. We will definitlly be staying here again

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family