“What a difference a bed makes...”

Happy Holiday Motel
Ranked #188 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Phoenix, Arizona
“What a difference a bed makes...”
Reviewed 3 September 2012

In my decades of hotel/motel stays, including many overseas, I've got to say that this was the second dirtiest room I have ever stayed in, with the dirt primarily in the tile grout and on the walls. I might have given this place a zero rating but for two things: First, it is across the street from the ocean in the heart of Myrtle Beach - perfect for taking in the Boardwalk action, and Second, the bed was COMFORTABLE! (Go figure?!?) Oh, and the weekend day manager was pleasant and helpful, too. I will not be back, however.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Joe G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Room had sheets on floor juice all over counter and trash can was full. I asked the lady if I could get a refund she said the manager would be back the next day and I would have to wait and when I told the manager she said I signed a paper of no refund but that's not the hotel room I requested I expected one with clean sheets on the bed and clean!!! Waist of money and poor customer service. They will take your money !!!!!!! I didn't even sleep in the hotel I had to sleep in my car that night because I used the last bit of my money on this sorry hotel.

Room Tip: Don't book here. It's disgusting
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Brandy G

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Hartsville, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I traveled with my daughters to the beach...our whole day that saturday morning, was great...we had much fun at wild water and wheels...we decided to spend the night...all the better hotels were requesting to 2 night stay..well we needed 1 night...I was greatful to come to Happy Holiday after several searches, to see that they had 1 double bed available...we settled because we were exhausted.....my BIGGEST complaint was in room 405, the air condition unite did not work...I called down requesting a better room or for maintenance to come check it out....Maintenance never showed....we slept uncomfortable the whole night...we had to walk on the balcony just to get a breeze......and 3 days after the summer kicks in....you can imagine how hot we were.....I was totally DISGUSTED!!!

Room Tip: if you're offered room num 405....be sure to ask about the air.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Leslie G
oburg, sc
Reviewed 23 June 2012

My biggest complaint about this hotel is no elevator. I have knee problems and our room was on the 3rd floor. the stairs are a little steep and slippery when wet. The room was very clean but the bathroom is a little small. the bed was a little hard but i slept like a rock. The pool was clean other then a few bugs. The staff was very friendly and brought extra towels when we needed them. From the outside it doesnt look like much but inside its pretty decent. All in all, its not a bad hotel and i would stay again

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Laurinburg, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I love the happy holiday. Every time i am traveling on a budget i come here. Its clean and has a big pool. The rooms are a good size. During the peak season the rooms are about 65.00 dollars and thats great for myrtle beach during the summer. It is not ocean front but it is right across from the ocean. The only thing i would complain about is there is no elevator but it only has 4 floors so you dont have to walk too far. The staff is nice and the just want to keep everyone safe.

Room Tip: ask for first floor and on the corner
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank akaAB
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 12 September 2011

booked through Expedia, filthy grounds, filthy room, no room service, no ice machine, no wash cloths, hand towels, fridge that should haved been condemned, filthy toilet...the Myrtle Beach Health Department needs to make a vist to this place. While we were in the office a couple walked in & they were given a price cheaper than we got from Expedia...worst place i've ever eperienced in my life

Room Tip: maybe if we had read these comments first
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Ed P
Easley, South Carolina
Reviewed 22 July 2011

After a few days at another hotel, we wanted to stay an additional night but could'nt find anywhere with reasonable vacancy. After checking in ($67.22 for one night) which was'nt bad, we quickly realized you get what you pay for, riff-raff. What better smell combination than old beer, smoke, and pure body odor. The bathroom.....fan was filty and dangled out of the ceiling, tub stained, corners full of hair, cloth fibers, cereal, and old caulking thta had long since quit it's job. The kitchenette....we never touched it or even looked at it (appeared to be a meth-makers paradise). Fridge was clean, however the previous guest had left drinks in the freezer to overflow and, well you know. Nice silver duct tape held the transition from carpet to ceramic tile down. The lamps did'nt work, nor did the bedside lamps. Oh, and we had to share a charger for our phone as the recepticles did'nt work....hence the lamps not working. We wore our Crocs in the room for obvious sanitary reasons, but when getting ready for bed my foot grazed the carpeting which was sticky to the touch....yeah, I know. Beds were not totally uncomfortable but smelled of an old "thrift store" here at home. Curtains worked, AC was great. Parking was good too, right at the front office where someone spat on the car and vividly wrote "Suck My **expletive** HO" on the rear window. Nice. Beyond the Harley getting a 2am tune up at our door (room 103), and the adults running upstairs, hispanics harrassing young waiteresses while leaving work, and the horrific smell of curry.....all in all....it could have been much worse. Something to laugh at now, and to know better next time. And by the way.....when you read reviews....go with your gut. It's usually right.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple