If you go in with the expectation of a college dorm, you'll be on par with what's offered, but I don't mean that in a totally negative way -- for the price, it's nicer than some of the other beachside motels. My review is organized around three aspects: (1) the check-in and staff, (2) outside the room, and (3) inside the room.
We pulled up, and walked into the office. The owner was friendly, helpful, and checked us in fast with our reservations from the night before (see my other Myrtle Beach motel review if you're curious about why we booked the night before). It's amazing how much friendly service can improve the quality of your experience on vacation. Parking is free (awesome). There are no extra "resort fees" or gotchas to the cost here. We met the maintenance staff who helped fix our card keys, and they were again helpful, fast, and friendly -- great people.
From the outside, our room was on the top floor which means walking up four flights of stairs with no elevators -- not that bad. There's a very large glass window in front of each room which had spider web cracks next to the door frame of almost every room. I would guess it's from people shutting the doors too hard, but it didn't bother us much. The other guests are mostly high school and college age kids. At night, it can be a little loud due to motorcycles and general shenanigans outside the building. (I would avoid a ground-level room if possible.) We checked in and walked one block to the beach. Awesome.
From the inside, the room was roughly what we expected, but a few fine points are worth mentioning:
- There were four outlets in the room, but only two worked.
- The universal TV remote wasn't programmed for the TV in the room, but the TV was a nice flat screen.
- The free wi-fi didn't connect to the Internet for us, so I'm glad we had smartphones to find restaurants.
- We had a full-size fridge & freezer.
- In the shower and sink, the hot and cold knobs were backwards. We took a cold shower or two before we realized this. There's not much water pressure either. The towels provided feel like sandpaper on a decent sunburn.
- Maid service was minimal: we got new towels each day, but didn't get the beds made or anything like that. Again, not the end of the world.
- The beds were very comfy and besides the noise on the ground floor outside, we slept pretty well.
For a budget beachside motel, it met my expectations, and we would stay here again.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Happy Holiday Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Happy Holiday Hotel Myrtle Beach
- Happy Holiday Myrtle Beach