“Expect a college dorm experience, but with comfier beds.”

Happy Holiday Motel
Ranked #189 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Dayton, Ohio, United States
“Expect a college dorm experience, but with comfier beds.”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

If you go in with the expectation of a college dorm, you'll be on par with what's offered, but I don't mean that in a totally negative way -- for the price, it's nicer than some of the other beachside motels. My review is organized around three aspects: (1) the check-in and staff, (2) outside the room, and (3) inside the room.

We pulled up, and walked into the office. The owner was friendly, helpful, and checked us in fast with our reservations from the night before (see my other Myrtle Beach motel review if you're curious about why we booked the night before). It's amazing how much friendly service can improve the quality of your experience on vacation. Parking is free (awesome). There are no extra "resort fees" or gotchas to the cost here. We met the maintenance staff who helped fix our card keys, and they were again helpful, fast, and friendly -- great people.

From the outside, our room was on the top floor which means walking up four flights of stairs with no elevators -- not that bad. There's a very large glass window in front of each room which had spider web cracks next to the door frame of almost every room. I would guess it's from people shutting the doors too hard, but it didn't bother us much. The other guests are mostly high school and college age kids. At night, it can be a little loud due to motorcycles and general shenanigans outside the building. (I would avoid a ground-level room if possible.) We checked in and walked one block to the beach. Awesome.

From the inside, the room was roughly what we expected, but a few fine points are worth mentioning:
- There were four outlets in the room, but only two worked.
- The universal TV remote wasn't programmed for the TV in the room, but the TV was a nice flat screen.
- The free wi-fi didn't connect to the Internet for us, so I'm glad we had smartphones to find restaurants.
- We had a full-size fridge & freezer.
- In the shower and sink, the hot and cold knobs were backwards. We took a cold shower or two before we realized this. There's not much water pressure either. The towels provided feel like sandpaper on a decent sunburn.
- Maid service was minimal: we got new towels each day, but didn't get the beds made or anything like that. Again, not the end of the world.
- The beds were very comfy and besides the noise on the ground floor outside, we slept pretty well.

For a budget beachside motel, it met my expectations, and we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Light sleepers should avoid the ground floor where it's noisy late at night
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
9 Thank Taylor E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 March 2013

honestly this place is NOT as bad as the reviews make it out to be. indeed, there were a few noisy neighbors, but that is expected (and wasn't a bother since we were looking to party anyway :D) during Spring Break time AND considering it was central myrtle beach. it is only a few short minutes away from the boardwalk and the ocean. everything was clean, including the sheets, bathtub, and counter tops. furthermore, there is an actual refrigerator (freezer included) and a microwave, plus TVs with cable. and the parking lot is literally right there. my only complaints would be the fact that there are no elevators (but then again there are only four floors) and that you had to get a parking pass for each car you had with you. all in all, it's a great place to stay if you're looking to be right next to all the action, the beach, and if you need a place that allows 18+ to check in. we all had a great time, don't let the reviews fool you!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank blackkatemoss
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 February 2013

I admitt at first I didnt want to stay here, but my boyfriend ensured me he had stayed before and never seen bugs, rats, etc. We booked our room on the way there, and when we arrived our room key was there waiting on us. We were put next to a group of partiers(would were later told to leave the property) (we are 18 and 19, but not in to the drinking and being loud scene), so the manager in the front relocated us without a fuss (shes very nice and let us choose our room after a small tour). No there isnt an elevator, breakfast bar, or ballet services, but I mean come on 60 dollars a nite and the ocean is literally 30-40 feet away (across the street). If your handicap the lower levels are accesible and very nice. The housekeeper has my respect 100% I left my cell phone/jewelry everywhere on the dressers and the counter where the sink is located (even my engagement ring which I had got from him the day we left), and nothing went missing!!! We had new towels and washclothes everytime we left the room. However this motel does have flaws for example, the TV was older and when we turned it on it would turn itself all the way up, but it didnt bother us because the only time we watched it was right before bed while we ate. I loved it here and actually we graduate this June and booked a room here! A kitchenette for a week $600.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lovin-life7312
Rock Hill, South Carolina
Reviewed 5 December 2012

now unless your picky and are going to stay in the hotel the entire time for senior week, happy holiday is it!! very friendly staff. beds and bathroom were clean. provides a great view of the beach, and is actually a few steps from there. i pretty much absolutely love the manager, because he is running his hotel like he needs to! real cool guy at that! me and my friends barely stayed inside the hotel at senior week, but like i said it was definitely a good stay. we will book again this year!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank NatalieF2294
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 3 September 2012

In my decades of hotel/motel stays, including many overseas, I've got to say that this was the second dirtiest room I have ever stayed in, with the dirt primarily in the tile grout and on the walls. I might have given this place a zero rating but for two things: First, it is across the street from the ocean in the heart of Myrtle Beach - perfect for taking in the Boardwalk action, and Second, the bed was COMFORTABLE! (Go figure?!?) Oh, and the weekend day manager was pleasant and helpful, too. I will not be back, however.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Joe G

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Room had sheets on floor juice all over counter and trash can was full. I asked the lady if I could get a refund she said the manager would be back the next day and I would have to wait and when I told the manager she said I signed a paper of no refund but that's not the hotel room I requested I expected one with clean sheets on the bed and clean!!! Waist of money and poor customer service. They will take your money !!!!!!! I didn't even sleep in the hotel I had to sleep in my car that night because I used the last bit of my money on this sorry hotel.

Room Tip: Don't book here. It's disgusting
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Brandy G
Hartsville, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I traveled with my daughters to the beach...our whole day that saturday morning, was great...we had much fun at wild water and wheels...we decided to spend the night...all the better hotels were requesting to 2 night stay..well we needed 1 night...I was greatful to come to Happy Holiday after several searches, to see that they had 1 double bed available...we settled because we were exhausted.....my BIGGEST complaint was in room 405, the air condition unite did not work...I called down requesting a better room or for maintenance to come check it out....Maintenance never showed....we slept uncomfortable the whole night...we had to walk on the balcony just to get a breeze......and 3 days after the summer kicks in....you can imagine how hot we were.....I was totally DISGUSTED!!!

Room Tip: if you're offered room num 405....be sure to ask about the air.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family