Sadly, this hotel lost all value when the area around it went downhill. Surrounded by the abandoned stores in what was once an outlet mall, the twice bankrupt Hard Rock Park (you can see the desolate remains of the roller coaster etc. from the front of the hotel) and several strip clubs, this hotel is now stuck in what appears to be a wasteland. It's a shame, because the back of the hotel faces the intercoastal waterway and offers a beautiful view. My room, however, faced the former outlet mall and I expected to see the likes of Mad Max riding up to the hotel on the deserted roadway. The lobby, however, is very welcoming and the first floor is kept fresh with an attractive fountain, nice restaurant area and indoor/outdoor pools. The Jacuzzi in the pool area. however, definitely needs some work. The bubbles are set on overdrive and the temperature is warm at best. There wasn't any knobs to adjust either, so it was a big disappointment. Now if I just saw the first floor and dealt with the staff, who were all friendly, I would probably rate this hotel better, but the rooms are a complete other story. They're small and the furniture isn't even to scale. The desk stuck out so far I could barely walk by it. We actually got to see two rooms. Soon after moving in our first room, my son noticed a large bug (we thought it was a cockroach, but was informed by the staff that it was probably a palmetto bug) crawling across the carpet. He squished it quickly. But when looking at the floor for other creep crawlies, we came across two long fingernails laying on the floor. Ick! When I talked with the housekeeping staff who were still out in the hall, they called down to the front desk and told them my room would need to be sprayed. She then told me I would have to get everything off the floor and stay out for an hour. She also handed me a spray bottle and told me to use it after they sprayed to help with the smell. Really? I didn't pay $100 a night to deal with that mess. I went back downstairs and the desk manager was ok in letting me move rooms, but I was surprised when he only moved me two doors down on the same side. When I later saw the view from the other rooms, I was surprised he wouldn't have been more accommodating to someone who just experienced what I did and moved me to a nicer room. In fact two doors down was worse than the room we were originally put in---it had a smaller refrigerator and one less chair. Since I was tired from driving to this destination anyway, I gave in and made the best of the stay The free breakfast is nice, although it was the same food all four mornings we were there (I had read that they changed up the hot dishes). I would say they need to desperately update the rooms to attract future customers, but honestly, I wouldn't sink any money into this location until the surrounding area is revitalized. I think this Clarion will be another abandoned building in the Badlands of MB soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to our hotel, Clarion Hotel and Conference Center, located directly on the Intracoastal Waterway in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, just minutes from the sandy beaches of the Grand Strand! A place where visitors return time and time again to enjoy more than sixty miles of sunny, sandy beaches. Visitors enjoy golfing on championship courses, gourmet restaurants, exciting nightlife, retail and outlet shopping, and much more. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina embraces fun for everyone, offering key attractions like Broadway at the Beach, Ripley's Aquarium, Brookgreen Gardens, Huntington Beach State Park, Barefoot Landing, House of Blues, Alligator Adventure, La Belle Amie Vineyards, miniature golf, and amusement parks. The hotel is just minutes from great shopping at the Coastal Grand Mall, Tanger Outlets and the New Market Commons. While visiting, check out our huge line up of family dining and entertainment...Pirates Voyage, Medieval Times, the Palace Theater, Alabama Theater, Carolina Opry, Legends in Concert, IMAX 3D Theater, Planet Hollywood, Margaritaville, Rioz Brazilian Steakhouse, and many, many more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Choice Hotels, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Clarion Hotel & Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clarion Hotel And Conference Center
- Clarion Hotel Myrtle Beach
- Holiday Inn Myrtle Beach
- Myrtle Beach Holiday Inn