“Stuck in the Badlands of Myrtle Beach”

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #141 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Holly Springs, North Carolina, United States
“Stuck in the Badlands of Myrtle Beach”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Sadly, this hotel lost all value when the area around it went downhill. Surrounded by the abandoned stores in what was once an outlet mall, the twice bankrupt Hard Rock Park (you can see the desolate remains of the roller coaster etc. from the front of the hotel) and several strip clubs, this hotel is now stuck in what appears to be a wasteland. It's a shame, because the back of the hotel faces the intercoastal waterway and offers a beautiful view. My room, however, faced the former outlet mall and I expected to see the likes of Mad Max riding up to the hotel on the deserted roadway. The lobby, however, is very welcoming and the first floor is kept fresh with an attractive fountain, nice restaurant area and indoor/outdoor pools. The Jacuzzi in the pool area. however, definitely needs some work. The bubbles are set on overdrive and the temperature is warm at best. There wasn't any knobs to adjust either, so it was a big disappointment. Now if I just saw the first floor and dealt with the staff, who were all friendly, I would probably rate this hotel better, but the rooms are a complete other story. They're small and the furniture isn't even to scale. The desk stuck out so far I could barely walk by it. We actually got to see two rooms. Soon after moving in our first room, my son noticed a large bug (we thought it was a cockroach, but was informed by the staff that it was probably a palmetto bug) crawling across the carpet. He squished it quickly. But when looking at the floor for other creep crawlies, we came across two long fingernails laying on the floor. Ick! When I talked with the housekeeping staff who were still out in the hall, they called down to the front desk and told them my room would need to be sprayed. She then told me I would have to get everything off the floor and stay out for an hour. She also handed me a spray bottle and told me to use it after they sprayed to help with the smell. Really? I didn't pay $100 a night to deal with that mess. I went back downstairs and the desk manager was ok in letting me move rooms, but I was surprised when he only moved me two doors down on the same side. When I later saw the view from the other rooms, I was surprised he wouldn't have been more accommodating to someone who just experienced what I did and moved me to a nicer room. In fact two doors down was worse than the room we were originally put in---it had a smaller refrigerator and one less chair. Since I was tired from driving to this destination anyway, I gave in and made the best of the stay The free breakfast is nice, although it was the same food all four mornings we were there (I had read that they changed up the hot dishes). I would say they need to desperately update the rooms to attract future customers, but honestly, I wouldn't sink any money into this location until the surrounding area is revitalized. I think this Clarion will be another abandoned building in the Badlands of MB soon.

Room Tip: If you stay here, ask for a view of intercoastal highway. It's more, but has to be better than s...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Susan B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Weston, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

Room was not cleaned, we had to pick up several grasshoppers, spiders, and roaches from the floor. We slept uncomfortable due to the fact that if the floor is dirty, the bathroom and beds will also be dirty. Bathroom also had terrible mold.
Room rate was spiked up with unnecessary charges.

• Stayed August 2013

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Graham, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2days 8-9-13 thru 8-11-13

Pros: The pics on the website are recent and the hotel looks nice. The breakfast was good. Staff was nice. Close to beach.

Cons: Patio door was very hard to open for me and my fiancé. Bathroom needs major remodeling. Needs A/C or some type of air flow in the hallways, it was hot and muggy. The elevator was very, very slow, so me and my family had to take the stair several times throughout out stay. I had a late check-out (which was made clear when I checked in )and the housekeeper kept knocking on the door (the day of my check out-like 3hrs early) after I told her and the front desk, so we felt rushed. To top it off, our bed sheets was NOT changed. I called to the front desk to tell them that my bed was made up with the same dirty sheets (which dirt was visible on the sheets) with two little kids what do u expect..SMH! The front desk told me that the policy is to ONLY change guest sheets every 3days unless the guest ask for them to be changed. REALLY? I was shocked, because I have never heard of this before. For the price we paid to stay here, the sheets should have been changed everyday! I asked to speak with the head mgr of the hotel for two days and he was never in (of course). So I will say this: WE WILL NOT STAY HERE AGAIN!

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here, be very cautious!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 1Niki13
Dover, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

This hotel is a gem tucked away in a scenic setting and one of the best I've stayed in so far in Myrtle Beach. The front desk staff were so friendly and courteous. The hotel itself has décor that makes you think you are on an island. The indoor/outdoor pool is wonderful. The fountain in the lobby is very nice. There is a restaurant and bar off the lobby. My granddaughter and I ate at the restaurant two nights. The food was excellent. The drinks were delicious and nice and cold. The room was nice and the bed was so comfortable. The décor was nice in the room too. I had no problems with the room and the maid did a wonderful job every day. There was a large flat screen TV. The room was very clean and had a balcony. I was on the fourth floor and the view was spectacular. It was so nice to sit on the balcony and relax and read a book! The breakfast buffet was spectacular. All of the food selections that were hot or cold were the perfect temperature. They had a wide variety of items and kept the buffet filled all the time with an attendant. The best part of the breakfast buffet was looking out the very large windows surrounding the breakfast area looking out over the Coastal Waterway seeing people on boats, jet skis, etc. enjoying themselves. The employees that worked the breakfast area and the restaurant at night provided excellent customer service and were very friendly and cheerful. I really enjoyed staying there and plan to come again but only this time spend at least a week to have an enjoyable relaxing vacation.

1 Thank Catherine H
Scott H, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear Catherine:

Thank you for your kind words. That view from the restaurant / lounge is priceless! I'm glad you guys enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you to a much longer stay!

Scott Harvey
Guest Relations Manager
Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

Words could not express the gratitude I have for the Clarion Hotel team at Myrtle Beach. I started planning our family reunion one year out and Wayne and Holley were on top of things from day one. The Rooms were wonderful, breakfast food and crew were awesome, pool was great and hotel staff was incredible. My family so enjoyed it that they want to come back. We are still talking about how great the Banquet food was and the attentiveness of the wait staff. Just incredible!!!!

Thank you Wayne & Holley !!!!!!!!!!!

2 Thank Athomas820
Dear Athomas820,

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and the reunion was a blast! We hope to see you and the rest of your family members real soon!

Scott Harvey
Guest Relations Manager
Hyde Park, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

Had reservation for two nights, cancelled 2nd night. Floor in elevator all cracked ceramic tiles. Stayed on 4th floor. Hallway carpet stained and hall had foul odor. Room carpet had stains. Hotel used some kind of deodorizer to try and get rid of smell in room. Furniture really out dated, damaged, cigarette burns, refrigerator had dents, scratches I was afraid to put my water in it. Mattress the worst ever slept on. Bathroom had the base tile falling off wall, did not feel clean at all. In middle of night people hanging out in hall someone knocked on our door, did not feel safe.

Westerville, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night in a double queen room. The front desk people that checked me in were not that friendly, but they got the job done and I was checking in about 45 minutes before check in time so I did not worry about it much. The low level of customer service was kind of annoying though, considering one of the ladies working was the manager, according to her name tag and a big sign on the wall with her name on it that said she was the attending manager. The room was one of the cleanest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. It had a balcony, which we loved. The breakfast was free, and there actually was a pretty big selection of foods, hot and cold. There was one employee, Angela, i think was her name, who was excellent. She worked in the breakfast area, and by far had the best customer service of anyone in the hotel. She was cheerful and helped us with what we needed. Overall the hotel was pretty nice, and we would stay here again.

Room Tip: The hotel is right up againts a water way, so you could request a room facing that. The boats are ki...