“My second trip here”

Ranked #137 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Hedgesville, West Virginia
“My second trip here”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This was my 2nd time staying at this hotel. I am a choice hotels employee and this is the reasoning for me choosing the hotel. It is also close to surfside beach which is where I needed to be that weekend. Let me start off by saying that each time I have stayed I have had to stay in a pet room, which is fine because I love animals and to be honest the room was quite nice. It doesn't smell like pets and if you didn't know it was a pet room you would never suspect it to be. My room was on the 1st floor which I liked because there was easy access to every area of the hotel. Ok...onto breakfast...This hotel has the BEST breakfast I have ever gotten at any hotel!!!! They have everything!! Bacon, sausage, eggs, potatoes and the list goes on and on. The staff was very friendly. We went to the bar on Saturday night for a drink and it was inexpensive and the lady working was also nice. My only complaint was that our wash clothes had stains on them..but we didn't use them and I know how that can be so it was no big deal. Also, the pillow are very thin and it doesn't really feel like you have one under your head but again I have experienced this at a lot of hotels...just needed to use 2 instead of one. Its really a shame about the surroundings but there isn't anything the hotel can do about that....Myrtle Beach really needs to do something about the empty shopping center and amusement park. All in All if I was going for a short weekend again I would not hesitate to stay here. Especially since I know which room I will be getting :) Thank you to the staff and that awesome breakfast!!!!!

Room Tip: I like the first floor
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
North Carolina
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I have been to Myrtle Beach several times. This was my first time that I have ever stayed somewhere that I was so uncomfortable. The room smelled stale and musty, I had to purchase a plug-in to get the scent out during my stay. The carpet was dirty, light fixtures old and torn.The paint was peeling and chipping off in the bathroom. Then my last morning there a big huge roach was crawling on the wall in my bedroom. The hotel has potential but way under my expectations for a Clarion or Choice Hotels. It needs a major upgrade very soon!!! I wouldn't recommend anybody stay here and I NEVER will stay here again!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MizzB64

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Levittown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Looks are deceiving and thats what happened when we booked our 2 nights here after viewing the internet photos.

Without a doubt this place was not what I thought it would be! The room was absolutely dated, old, dirty with musk & mold smell. I am an elite choice privilege member and so I am not used to this, you can imagine how distraught my wife and he kids were when we walked into this dump.

Choice Hotels are very good this unfortunatly give the Choice brand a Black Eye.

My son coughed all night because of the mold & mildew. There was chipped paint and water leak markings on the ceiling! There was a crack in the bathroom right at the toilet.

We asked for a new room because the first one had dead bugs on the floor and the strong smell of mold and mildew made my wife and daughter sick.

The second room still smelled like mildew and mold but it was not as strong. The room was very disgusting. The mattress on the bed was very hard and horrible. The rugs were so dirty that we never took our shoes off. My wife put a towel insidet he bathtub becuase it was horrible we just didn't want to step into it barefoot.

There was one one working ice machine in the whole place. We stayed on the 4th floor and the ice machine was on the 3rd. The fitness machine only had 5 machines and 2 of them were broken.

Oddly enough the lobby looked ok. It was very inviting & the pool looked somewhat ok. You can tell that at one time this was a very nice place, what a shame and embarassement for Choice Hotel.

For the amount of money I spent and knowing the reputation Choice has, I was very angry. Angry for being misled and for bringing my family to this dump.

I wouldn't stay here again even if it was free.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Robert C
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel is out of the way for anything. Closest attraction is the closed down Amusement park. Elevator is slow and rickety hallway on the third floor smells. Room was a nice size but te bed was well used, sit down on it and the end came up and you could see the dip. Front desk staff was nice. Food in the dining room was ok, not going to be in any four star food magazines. The indoor pool is confected to the dining room which is ok as long as there isn't people yelling and screaming or opening the door.

• Stayed August 2014
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

This is my third stay here with my family for vacation. Everything was good. The only complaint I have is that the pool and hot tub needs to be scrubbed to remove the black mildew inside the pool and tub area. There should be a rug placed in the hallway near the entrance to the indoor pool area. It was very wet from people running in an out of the pool area. Very slippery. Other than that everything was great.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Charlotte
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I love that everything was white when it came to the linens.. Very clean and friendly hotel!! I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to get away from the crowds.. Which we all know so well at myrtle beach

• Stayed August 2014
Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Clarion for 7 days. I can highlight the positive first. The restaurant and bar were phenomenal as well as the staff running them. Every morning there was a great breakfast buffet. The front desk staff was as helpful as possible and friendly. The maintenance staff did the best they could and was also very nice. Onto the rest, our first room we were given had a leaking air conditioner which made the floor smell like mildew. The rooms all smelled bad and were sort of uncomfortable to be in. The floors were dirty as well, I had crouched down to pick something up and found toe nails scattered on the floor as well as hardened peas. On the 2nd day of staying there my wife went to have lunch that we had bought and stored in the fridge and the box of unopened hot pockets was gone. Someone had stolen them. The only possible people that would have been in there in the time we were gone would be housekeeping. We reported it immediately and the front desk took care of the issue apparently. They switched our room to down the hall which ended up having a new air conditioner but the room still smelled like mildew. In addition to this, the so called, "fitness center" is the absolute most basic you can get. However, the weight machine was broken the entire time we were there and the treadmill felt like the belt was going to rip off in no time. Also, at the time, the website for the hotel said that they were within walking distance of shopping. I guess they meant the closed down mall across the street from the hotel. Needless to say we had to take cabs until we figured out what a rental car would cost us. My wife and I would definitely not stay here again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple