“An excellent resort in a beautiful ocean front setting”

Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #74 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We are new owners at Myrtle Beach Westgate as of last year and have already made it back for the second year in a row and plan to keep on coming. My wife and I like the quieter time of year (mid-October). There are less crowds, you have the beach almost to yourself and the ocean is still warm enough to swim in especially with the air temperature well into the upper 70s. The service is some of the best we have experienced even within the Westgate Resort circle. If we had a need for more shampoo or an extra towel, housekeeping was there within 20 minutes and the front desk always followed up with a call to our room to be sure we got what we wanted and didn't need anything else. The rooms are quiet and you don't hear your neighbors taking a late night whirlpool bath or watching TV. The staff around the pool areas are always friendly and are willing to either give you privacy or, if you want to have a pleasant conversation, they will engage in one with you with that nice southern hospitality. The rooms themselves, especially the ocean front ones, are very spacious and kept in perfect order and cleanliness. For a three year old building there were very few marks of wear. And again, if something was missing (a glass) or if you needed an extra chair, as we did for visiting relatives, housekeeping was quick to respond and thorough to be sure everything was the way you wanted it. The Myrtle Beach area embrasses their visitors. Local people in the grocery store or gas stations greet you as one from the neighborhood and are willing to help you find your way or offer and opinion of a good place to ear. The merchants themselves are likewise curtious and don't give you the impression they only want to see you make a purchase. We are sure there is something for everyone in Myrtle Beach and we plan to make it an annual trip each Fall.

Room Tip: Try to get the Ocean Front Single or Two-Bedroom. The ocean is right outside your patio door and th...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
WGMB, General Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay and that you loved the pools and being right on the beach! Thank you for mentioning the staff did everything to make your stay pleasant, and that we took such good care of you!

So happy to hear you say "The service is some of the best we have experienced " and that the rooms "are very spacious and kept in perfect order and cleanliness".

Sounds like your family really knows how to take advantage of your vacation time and we are so pleased that we were able to help make your vacation is positive and memorable experience. We can't wait to welcome you home once again soon!

Reviewed 15 November 2011

I saw a 3.5 rating and had to make a decision based on my budget for my son's Pop Warner football Bowl Game. What I got was blown away by the service and how nice the facility was! Everything from the elevators to the rooms was outstanding. The rooms were modern, up to date, and confortable....even the pull out couch bed! The kids favorite things were the in-room jaccuzi and the shower.

My entire family enjoyed the brief getaway and everyone knows where they want to stay when we come back to the beach. I would highly recommend Westgate to anyone and plan on returning soon.

Room Tip: The North Tower is where we stayed and looks brand new! The Westgate is central to most of the ocea...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Brad C
WGMB, General Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2011

Thank you for letting us know that you had such a great vacation with us. We are always pleased when people like yourself take the time to let us know we did a great job. Comments such as yours "What I got was blown away by the service and how nice the facility was! Everything from the elevators to the rooms was outstanding", ake us all proud to serve you, and to know we helped make a special vacation memory for you and your family.

Again, thank you so much, we look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed 13 November 2011

We are owners at Myrtle Beach Westgate, however, since we bought during pre-construction, this was our first vist. Check in was fast and the front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Our concienerge was Alena, who was very friendly and helpful as well. When we first checked in, we were surprised to see we were in a "studio" and yet our reservation said 1 bedroom. I called and spoke with the manager, Joe, and he said the studio is actually considered a 1 bedroom but I explained that is not how it is listed on the website. Joe was exceptionally nice and offered to move us to a "one bedroom" unit. Joe explained he would move us due to the fact that Direct TV had done an upgrade earlier than anticipated and there was a problem so CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX channels were unavailable. Although when you are on vacation, watching TV is not a prime activity, it is off season at Myrtle Beach and with the time change it is dark and gets quite chilly early on and most activities are shut down, so coming back to the resort to watch an evening of TV was something we had looked forward to. The TV never was fixed until the following Thurs. evening and I do understand this was out of the control of management, yet I have to wonder with the size of Westgate - something seems like it could have been done to speed up the repair.

Westgate MB is in a great location and the units are gorgeous. Very comfortable, although the washer and dryer can be confusing the first time you use them and it would be very helpful if directions were left in the kitchen. We called the front desk one night to ask for a cookie/baking sheet as we had purchased some cookie dough and were going to make a few cookies, however, when housekeeping arrived, they brought us 2 sets of bed sheets. We tried to explain we did not need the sheets, however, housekeeping did not want to take them back. During a one week stay, housekeeping will come in mid-week to clean the unit, and I left a note for them asking them to please take the extra sheets and leave us a cookie/baking sheet. They did take the sheets, but did not leave any cookie/baking sheets. We did go to Walmart and purchase a disposable cookie sheet.

Everyone we met at Westgate was very friendly and always greeted us with a smile. We ate at the restaurant one time and the food was very good. Children can eat there for free, which is a wonderful thing if you are travelling with little ones. Because it was off season, not many activities were going on but there were people in the hot tub and lap pool.

Once this resort is complete, it will be huge and will be one of the best on the beach! We did attend an "owners update" and were considering upgrading our unit but we were slightly hesitant because of the cost. We talked to Walter and he said he would try to reduce the cost and get back with us before we left. We subsequently had a phone call from Alena on Thurs. asking us to call her because she had a great offer from Walter - we did call back and leave a message and never heard back. So, I guess it wasn't meant to be.

We are very pleased with Westgate although I believe when we purchased during the pre-construction phase, some of the info given was misleading - i.e. the one bedroom versus the "studio" unit and Walter told us that this was true - many people were confused during that timeframe because of the way things were presented. I stated if Westgate considers a studio to be a one bedroom "standard" then they should list that on the website - not list it as a studio. That was our only concern.

All in all, it was a fantastic week and we look forward to many more years visiting at Westgate!

Room Tip: Make sure you are very clear on the type of unit you are renting/buying...studio versus one bedroom.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ckrcjr88
WGMB, General Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2011

Thank you for letting us know that you had such a great vacation with us. We appreciate it when people like yourself take the time to let us know we did a great job. I will share your comments with the staff, and sales management. We all thank you and look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home soon. Again, thank you so much, for taking the time to share what a great vacation you spent at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, and your feedback regarding the unit discription.

Reviewed 11 November 2011

My wife and I went to the Westgate Resort for our 2nd anniversary. We had won a stay there through the auction site www.skyauction.com. We ended up paying I think under $200 for a 3 night stay. I was very suspicious at first because of other reviews I had read about this hotel. As I understood it, there were 2 parts, a new condo tower and the old hotel part of the building. The auction I won had us staying in the old part of the building. However, it was not "old" at all. We were both VERY shocked at how nice it was after some of the reviews we read. We had an ocean front room with a balcony. There was a queen bed, a decent sized bathroom and the bedroom was very spacious. There was also a mini fridge which we didn't expect. The resort is located in a great part of town, about 0.5 miles down from the grand strand (hotel is right across from Family Kingdom). We really enjoyed the location and the area. You have to park your cars across the street from the hotel, which just made us have to walk a bit further, but we were okay with that. We would definitely consider going back. The rooms were nicely cleaned and the whole hotel was very nice. The staff try to talk you into seeing a condo you can purchase via a timeshare, so you just have to politely say no after you hear their sales pitch to try to get you to the meeting. We were very impressed with the resort as we weren't sure what we'd end up with. We didn't get to view any condos, but from how nice our room was, I would imagine the condos were also very nice. Depending on the price though, I don't know if we would pay full price for the rooms as you can get condos elsewhere for cheaper I believe. This place didn't let us down as we only paid under $200 for the entire stay there. We were very pleased and would consider staying there again, depending on the price. The only reason I say things about the price is I am not sure what the actual price is if you book directly through the resort as we won an auction for our vacation.

Room Tip: All the hotel (old portion of the resort) all have ocean front rooms w/ balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

We have been working very hard to ensure all guests of Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, have a great experience. Your comments on the hotel are very much appreciated and will be shared with the entire staff.

Your compliments to the hotel housekeeping staff, and that we provided a comfortable and clean room are the standard we work hard to ensure. This feedback is very much appreciated and we are thankful that you have taken the time to share, and score us as a place you were "very impressed with the resort " and that the hotel portion of the resort exceeded your expectations!

We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 November 2011

I had used a traveler's website to book the room. When I arrived the reserved room was not to my liking and the front deks staff was extremely cooperative in finding me an adequate room for a few extra bucks. In fact the room was a suite with a jacuzzi in it. What a way to spend my birthday, Moet, my wife and a jacuzzi!!!. Thanks Westgate especially Sarybel(Front desk)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
WGMB, General Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2011

Sounds like you had a "5 Star" birthday. Thanks for pointing out "the front deks staff was extremely cooperative" and that Sarybel, made such a good impression. We appreciate you taking the time to share what a great time you had with us, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

We stayed in a 2 bedroom lockout unit in the North Tower. It was a beautiful, spacious and clean unit. Gorgeous bathrooms. Granite counter tops in kitchen. Heated pool small but nice. Great location...right on the beach and only 1 block from the boardwalk. Convenient to stores and restaurants. Friendly and helpful staff. Remember there 2 parts to this hotel..the North tower and the older hotel units.

Room Tip: Ask for the NEW units.
2  Thank parmbe
WGMB, General Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2011

I would like to also point out that I agree for a long stay the Tower units are perfect. However, for a short stay or for someone looking for a great location on the beach, with loads of amenities, the hotel units are a great value.

Again, thank you so much, we look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed 30 October 2011

We wanted a quiet vacation at the beach and that is what we got. Check-in was a breeze with very helpful friendly staff. Our concierges Randy and Robert were great. Parking was very easy, we never had to park more than two spaces from the front door.
Our room was a connecting double with two kitchens and two sitting areas and three balconies. It was clean, comfortable and spacious. There was a bit of renovating going on one day, but it only lasted an hour or so. No big deal. Glad to know that improvements are on-going.
We had ample towels, especially if you used the towels used in the decorative animal shapes in the kitchens and bedrooms and house keeping was quick to bring anything we needed. The rooms are cleaned every 3 or 4 days which was more than adequate for our 7 day stay. Maintenance was very quick to respond when the battery wore out on our in-room safe and when we needed a light bulb replaced.
Room service was very reasonable one night when we ordered a pizza and hot wings. A two topping pizza, 12 hot wings and two sodas was $24.99 plus tax and tip. It arrived in less than 30 minutes. In fact, most of their room service menu items are under $10.
The kitchen was fully equipped with blender, coffee maker, dishes, glassware, silverware and pots and pans. They even included a wine corkscrew.
The whirlpool spa bath in the master bedroom was great. Very relaxing after a day of sight-seeing.
This was our best beach vacation and Westgate Myrtle Beach is responsible for ensuring that is was.
We'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: We recommend rooms in the 1000 or 2000 tower.
3  Thank trilobite1102

Sounds like you are a seasoned traveler and really know how to take advantage of your vacation time. We are so pleased that we were able to help make your vacation a positive and memorable experience. I will share your feedback with the entire staff as I am sure they will be very happy to know how much you aprreciated them. Thank you again for such wonderful compliments. We can't wait to welcome you back once again soon!