“Beautiful villas that allow pets!”

Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #69 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Lake Wylie, South Carolina
“Beautiful villas that allow pets!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

I booked this 7 day vacation through Interval International without issue, I had never stayed here before and was a bit apprehensive after reading some reviews. First, the condo/timeshare villas are beautiful! All I could see of the old hotel was the outside and it does look pretty beat up. We were informed by the staff that they've tried to update it but they're pretty old and there's only so much that can be done. Shortly they will start to demolish them and replace them entirely with the timeshare villas.

My husband and I checked in fairly late on a Friday evening, around 10:30 p.m. We were very surprised to see a line of cars waiting to pull in and some guests sitting on folding chairs outside the front entrance. There were staff with clipboards coming up to each car to get last names and confirm reservations, instruct us where to pull in and where to go for check-in. The reason them being so busy was due to Myrtle Beach's annual fall bike week which I had been unaware of when I had booked the vacation online almost 10 months earlier.

There was only one young lady checking in guests. There was one guest in front of us and several people behind us. The check-in process was extremely fast, we brought our dog and paid the $80 non-refundable pet fee, got our room keys with hurried instructions on where to park, that the building was straight ahead and that was it. No other paperwork or information about the resort and the area was given to us. Typically when you vacation at these type of resorts you're provided with a packet of information. We received nothing.

The parking lot was very full and we had difficulty finding a spot to park and finding our building. We had to ask a security guard where to go. We had VIP parking but the lot was packed tight. There is the start of a parking deck being built for sometime in the future but that obviously did us no good. They did have overflow parking diagonally across the street. I suspect the hotel guests had to park across the street and the condo/villa guests get the VIP parking.

I had called the resort two months prior to our stay to confirm reservations, also that we could indeed bring our dog and that we'd have an oceanfront room. Cory confirmed all this on the phone and was very pleasant to speak with. So when we entered our room I was surprised to find we were on the side of the building (North tower) facing a water park directly across from our balcony and to the right was the ocean and to the left was Ocean Blvd and a Ferris Wheel. I immediately called down to the desk before unpacking to inform them we didn't have an oceanfront room as I had been told by Cory. I was informed they were booked solid, check back the next morning, it was bike week, etc. I did check back the next morning and there were no oceanfront rooms available. They told me that when I booked our stay we immediately had gotten a one bedroom oceanview NOT oceanfront as I was told 2 months earlier. Later we found out that only owner's are awarded the coveted OCEANFRONT condo's. I'm not sure if that's absolutely true or not since both my husband and myself were told several different things.

In regards to the one bedroom oceanview condo, it was immaculate as far as cleanliness. No odors, especially since we were on the 3rd floor that houses pets (floors one through three is for anyone bringing pets). It was decorated nicely, stainless steel appliances, granite countertops and tile flooring everywhere except in the bedroom. The bedroom and living room had an adjoining balconey. There is a very large jacuzzi tub that sits off the master bedroom. The shower was fully tiled with a glass shower door that swung both inwards and outwards, it also had a regular showerhead and an overhead shower head. It was wonderful and roomy to shower in. There were plenty of towels provided and a middle of the week room cleaning and linens refreshed and replenished which is not of the norm for timeshares. The kitchen was missing a few items we later found out should have been in there. There were only 3 knives, a paring knife, steak knife and carving knife. No baking sheets, broiler pans, no sponges. Obviously, they must have been stolen and the staff didn't check to see if they were missing so they weren't replenished. I had to ask my sister who lives nearby to buy me some sponges so I could wash the dishes since we cooked several days during the week. The king sized bed was comfortable, we were later told that it has a memory foam mattress. There' were plenty of pillows and blankets and the curtains darkened the room perfectly. We did have an issue with the DVD player and remote not syncing properly in the living room and we reported it, within hours they had it fixed and working properly.

The rooms are very, very quiet. We couldn't hear anything until we opened that balcony door. Then the dogs barking, children screaming and playing, cars and bikes on the road, the ocean, and repairs being made on the waterpark next door all came rushing through that door! Whew, sound overload! So much for relaxing on the balcony in the morning with a cup of coffee. The evenings during the week proved to be a bit more quiet than the daytime and the weekends. This apparently is a very busy area with lots of activities for families, so if you like quiet, this is not the place for you. And we were there during the off-season, although it was bike week, so that may be why it was busier than normal.

After being at the resort 4 days we received a phone call from the concierge, Ashley welcoming us and apologizing for no one contacting us sooner. She asked if she could come up to our room since she had information for us. Behold the informational packet about the resort! This packet held a wealth of information, more so than any other resort we've stayed at. We just wish we had gotten it sooner, because most of what was in there we already figured out on our own or by asking other guests.

What we discovered on our own is that there is a dog park a few miles away. There are very limited areas to walk your pet on Westgate's property. Westgate also fails to provide waste bags so you can pick up after your pet. We took extra bags from the dog park for our dog. We also discovered is that if you are not a Westgate owner you have to pay for wi-fi. It's $9.95 per day or there are an assortment of packages you can choose. The connection is not all that great, my husband purchased a week internet package for $39.95, which we had refunded back for sitting through a 2 hour timeshare presentation.

The beach is very close and Westgate provides beach chairs and umbrellas at no charge. You have to go inside and get them yourself after signing them out. There is a lap pool, a hot tub, a lazy river and I believe a children's pool outside. They plan on putting pools on the top floors of some of the new buildings eventually. There are plenty of places to go out to eat within walking distance, there is also a restaurant inside of Westgate which we did not go to.

All in all the resort will be fantastic once construction is complete, the parking is very tight, but I think that's normal for these type of resorts on the ocean. The staff was all very nice, housekeeping did a great job cleaning up mid-week, the check-out process was very fast and they allowed us to check out an hour later without charging us. The timeshare presentation was your typical sales pitch but I found it not to be as high-pressure as some other's that I won't name.

Great family resort!

Room Tip: Keep in mind that floors 1-3 are designated for guests who bring their dogs. Be specific whether yo...
2 Thank Butterfly8184
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 25 October 2012
Thank you for describing Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort villas as “beautiful”. We are pleased to hear "The staff was all very nice, housekeeping did a great job cleaning". We all thank you for your input and we will share this with the staff and management. We look forward to welcoming you back so that we may exceed your expectations once again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

Just returned from my first visit to the USA.
Went to Myrtle Beach, stayed at the Westgate Oceanfront Resort.
Staff were helpful, friendly and nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them,
The location is right on the beach. This beach is very clean, the water quality is good too.
Would most certainly stay there again, any time.

Room Tip: Hire a car or as I did, a big motorcycle! Taxi's are very few and far between, they do not crui...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank harleyduc
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Thank you for your review of Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort. Guest satisfaction is our top priority and we are pleased to read that the "Staff were helpful, friendly and nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them". We will share your comments with the staff as we are sure they will be very pleased to know that you would "certainly stay there again, any time". Thank you for choosing Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort for your Myrtle Beach vacation. We look forward to exceeding your expectations again!
Canton, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

We loved our stay! Right across from the amusement park, and beside parasailing! My 9 year old grandson got to make a memory with me (his 60 yr old Granma). Him an I went parasailing for the first time for each of us. what a memory to tell his kids one day! Our room had a magnificient view of the ocean from the 16th floor! Very roomy and great beds, as usual for Westgate! ....Only negative thing I can think of is, they need a multi-level parking area. Not enough parking spaces were available. And, very tight spaces. Everything else was superb!

Room Tip: Loved the high-up view - Simply breath-taking! You'll want to stay on the balcony any time you...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank PandoraandKit F
Thank you for your review. We are proud to offer you accommodations and service that you felt were “superb!.” Guest satisfaction is our top priority so we are pleased to read your kind words. We take pride in providing our owners and guest with everything they need to create memorable vacation experiences. We are looking forward to exceeding your expectations again soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

First off LOCATION,LOCATION, LOCATION. This hotel is beautifully set right on the beach, an ocean view is a must, unless you want to get stuck of a view of the parking lot.... It is conveniently located only 1 block away from the 2nd ave pier, and 8 blocks (15-20minute walk) from the boardwalk. I stayed for 3 days, and never had to use my car because I was able to conveniently walk anywhere I needed to. Lobby is nice, staff is was great, only problem I had was when I initially checked in, I was given a VIP parking pass and was able to park in the hotel lot, and was told that once my friend arrived that he can come get the same pass for his car. Unfortunately when my friend did arrive, there was a shift change and the promise was not honored. My room was on the 5th floor, the hallways were a little outdated, but nothing that was too bad! The room was fair and not nearly outdated as the hallways but was by no means the nicest room I have stayed in! Then again I was only in the hotel to sleep and shower only, theres far too much to do in Myrtle to be cooped up in a hotel room! Its a pretty cheap hotel for the area and the time I visited, both bike week and october fest were in session. I will definitely book my future vacations in myrtle beach at the Westgate!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Aptl0608
We are so glad that you will "will definitely book my future vacations in myrtle beach at the Westgate!" Our resort is located near all the popular Myrtle Beach attractions making us the ideal place for a family Myrtle Beach vacation. We are pleased that you enjoyed our location. Guest satisfaction is our highest priority and we are honored that you would recommend our resort. We are looking forward to you coming back next year!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

This hotel is clean and well kept. The staff is courteous (Trevor & Cory). Everyone makes you feel at home. The view of the ocean and the location of the hotel is perfect. All the attractions are close by. The staff try to make everything comfortable for you and make you feel at home. Nothing negative to say about the hotel! I will stay in a Westgate hotel again!

1 Thank lunalove199
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 17 September 2015
Thank you for sharing your vacation experience with us. We have renovated our property since you last visited and welcome you back to see what more we have improved on.

Best regards,
Ariel
Kissimmee, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

beautiful area but do not book here, I booked through time share and later found out the pictures were of the far future of modern buildings not the slum buildings still standing We had a very small 1 bed room so small our luggage would not fit. they allow doges, our unit reeks of dander and the people next to us had dogs that barked all day. The walls are paper thin you can here every word they say. We asked to be moved, they said they were full. Full in Oct. I dont think so. Every one was nice and agreed our room was bad, we ended up leaving a few days early and stayed at a good resort.Oh ya, we attended the high preasure timeshare sales pitch and when we told them we would never consider a run down slum he lower the price 4 times each time we said not even if it was free would we ever stay here again,,

Room Tip: look at the room first, pictures are false, in about 10 years they might look this nice
2 Thank blair l
Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. We have discussed your comments with our staff and management to ensure that they do not occur again. If you would like to discuss your stay, you are more than welcome to call the resort and speak to a member of management. We thank you for bringing this to our attention and we hope that you give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Sevierville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

We had a great. Trevor (front desk night supervisor) was awesome at check in. Since we have never stayed in the Tower we showed us up to our room and were to park. Joe Baxter the front desk manager gave us a later than late check out since it was my anniversary weekend with my husband. The rooms was great, housekeeping did a outstanding job on the room as well as restocking out towels and tidying up the room. All the staff here was pleasant and welcoming. We just didn't want to leave.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Katie H
Thank you for your review of Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort. Guest satisfaction is our highest priority so we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you "didn't want to leave"! Our staff works very hard to make sure that our guests are enjoying their stay so we appreciate your kind words in describing them as “outstanding” and Trevor and Joe, made such a positive impression. We are excited that you will be back soon and we look forward to exceeding your expectations again!