“Didn't stay here but visited often” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #71 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
ct
“Didn't stay here but visited often”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Convenient location, nice views. Rooms in tower were nicely appointed. Very slow elevators and not enough on site parking. Ran out of pool towels often. Great kid activities for under age 12 and brewery tour and wine tasting nice options for adults.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for your review. We’re glad to hear you enjoyed your visit with us and found us to have many activities and amenities for everyone to enjoy. We hope to see you again the next time you’re in Myrtle Beach!

Nicole

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
Boston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We hated this one- got scammed into buying it because our tour guide began to cry when we said no. Now we are paying $200/month and $800 for a maintenance fee every 2 years (we bought it for every other year). This place also messed up our reservations as well - we ordered a two room reservation and when we got there we were told we could not check in early and also gave us a one room reservation and would not change it. With the money im paying I can stay in a 5-star resort. Be aware that the tour you go on shows luxurious condos, and what you will actually get is outdated furniture and appliances > unless you plan on paying $40,000-$50,000. Don't buy into the timeshare scam, there's no way of selling it and even after you pay it off you still pay maintenance fees.
That being said the area is beautiful. It is located right on the beach and perfect for families. Other than the room I had a great vacation in Myrtle Beach.

Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Cambrrs
Thank you for your feedback. We deeply apologize for any inconvenience you experienced while staying with us. We are a timeshare resort and offer all of our owners and guests the opportunity to participate in one of our timeshare presentations. In return for participating we do offer incentives such as breakfast and discounts. Participation is purely voluntary and our sales team is there to assist you in any way they can in the process of buying a timeshare. We deeply apologize if you and your party were inconvenience in anyway. We hope this will not keep you from allowing us the chance to exceed your expectations.

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for a night while taking a short vacation. We were given VIP parking, which means you can park right in front of the hotel, which was very nice. Our room was on the 6th (and top) floor of the main section. There are stick on posters in the elevators for Pirates Voyage that some one has scratched a hole through the pirates nostrils and the nipple areas of the two mermaids (tacky). The hallway was sickly warm and muggy. The room was nice with a great bed and a pull out clothes line in the shower so baithing suits don't drip onto the floor. The balconies are all one long connected section divided by the same railing that's in the front. There's not a lot of privacy that way. I had to use my shoulder to open the door because it was stuck and sometimes I my weight wouldn't do, so my husband had to use his shoulder. The paint was peeling off one of the doors in the hall way. It was an ok stay, but our room was not worth the money we paid.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jbettinger
Thank you for your review. We’re glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and the VIP parking we offer as well as your comfortable bed in your unit. We’re sorry to hear you experienced some unpleasant situations during your visit. We appreciate your comments and letting us know about these issues. We will be forwarding this information to our resort management. We hope to see you the next time you’re in the area.
Grayslake, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite in the tower.

Here goes:
1. arrived early but told they'd call if room was ready otherwise to come back at 4pm. Apparently everyone was told this so lobby was ridiculously crowded at 4pm. It was extemely hot and uncomfortable. Amazining how every room suddenly became available at 4pm!
2. There were 2 lines at check-in. One for owners and one for hotel guests. There was 1 person checking in the owners and 2 checking in the hotel guests. Shouldn't those that paid thousands of dollars to own there get better service than those that didn't?
3. When it was our turn, he had to go in the back to find our reservation. Came out to tell us he found it and said had to see if the room was ready. He was gone about 5 minutes. I swear he ran to the room to see if it was clean. He did this for everyone in line so it took at least 10 minutes to check in 1 guest. We finally got checked in around 4:30 and we got in line at 3:45.
4. Parking - see other reviews. They are building a parking garage that will be several floors high so this will not be a problem anymore when that is complete but in the meantime, it is but the other lot is really not far and they will let you drop off and then just the driver has to walk back.
5. We got to our room (in the tower so newer - I think they said 5 years old) and there was a beautiful view (oceanview - but if you aren't above the 6th floor, you'll have to lean over the balcony to see the ocean) and it was clean.
6. Within 15 minutes of walking in the door of the room, we discovered the following:
a. Bathroom - the toliet wouldn't stop running after it was flushed.
b. Bathroom - the sink was leaking all over the floor when you ran the faucet
c. Bathroom - we had 1 bath towel, 1 hand towel and 1 wash cloth for 5 people
d. Kitchen - stove was rusty
e. Wifi - it's only good on 1 device. Who ever heard of such a thing? 3 teenagers and only 1 can get wifi at a time? I know we're on vacation but still. Totally unrealistic.

Later that night:
f. Dishwasher - couldn't get it to stop running every time we closed the door. We had to prop the door open so it wouldn't run.
g. Washer/dryer - we had already been travelling several days and needed to do laundry for the next day. Turns out we were in a handicap room so the washer/dryer was a combo unit. There were no instructions anywhere on how to run it. Over the course of our stay, we had 3 or 4 different maintenance guys come and try to figure it out. None of them could. We could get it to wash but not dry. Finally we found someone in housekeeping who said even after 4 hours, it wouldn't dry. So, every time we did laundry, we had to call housekeeping to come and get our wet clothes to dry them. But, that first night, my husband stayed up until 2am doing laundry on the hotel side (so we had to pay for it) so we would have clothes to wear the next day.
h. Hide-a-bed - our room was supposed to have a queen hide-a-bed and a twin. But, there was no twin. Again, because we were in a handicap room, there was no twin hide-a-bed. So, we had 5 people in a room that was to sleep 5 but 4 beds. Luckily, we had an air mattress with us.
i. Headboard - when we went to bed the 1st night, we propped up the pillows to watch the news and the headboard banged against the wall. It wasn't even attached to the bed! So, anytime one of us moved during the night and the pillow moved the headboard, it would bang against the wall.
j. Activities - need a serious overhall. There are so many things they could do that don't cost money other than to have someone run it. Probably 90% of the activities we an extra expense. They also need some teen activities later at night that are just for ages 12+. Activities directors were less than enthusiastic and unprepared. How do you have a hunt where you have to check things off a list and not provide a pen/pencil? And what kind of beach hunt has 2 items from the beach and the rest from the hotel? And, one of the items was a 'do not disturb sign'. I asked the consierge where we could get one of the those and she told me to go up to one of the floors and take one off a door. So some poor guest who wants to be undisturbed is going to have housekeeping knocking on his door now? No way! My kids went to do the ping pong tournament and it was over in 10 minutes.
k. Pool towels - apparently they put them out early in the morning and then once during the day. So, if you don't get there right when they put them out, forget about getting one. Most resorts are constantly picking up the used towels and replacing them with clean ones.
l. Return for beach chairs/umbrellas - at the end of the day, there is a stream of people walking across the pool deck with those screws from the umbrellas sticking out to return their beach chairs/umbrellas. There should be an entrance up the side of the pool or something so they aren't having to try not to take out some kid who is innocently just trying to get to the pool.
m. Restaurant - so much potential not being tapped. I waited 10 minutes just for someone to come out of the kitchen to help me. I asked at the front desk after 5 minutes if anyone was even there and they said 'Yes, he should be out soon.' instead of going to get him. He finally came and took my to go order. He entered it and then just turned around and walked into the kitchen. he said nothing and never took my money or told me how much it would be or how long or where to wait. Just turned and left. RUDE! So, I had a seat and he eventually came back and took my money. I had asked for lemonade for the drink. when he brought out my order, he said 'you don't want the lemonade. It looks nasty.' and asked what else I wanted. He was a 1 man show - hostess, bartender, waiter, cook and busboy. It was ridiculous. If it was run better with some good specials, they would be packed for lunch and dinner.
n. When we called the number that is on the info sheet in the room to call if there were any problems, we got 'the mailbox for this extension is full. Please call back later.' REALLY?!?
o. Pop/soda machines on every floor were always empty.
p. Elevator - HOT& dirty
q. Not enough luggage carts. Several were broken.
r. Window over tub faced amusement park. At night, they keep their lights on. there were no room darkening shades on that window so it was like daylight all night long.
s. Since it was a handicap room, there was no door for the toliet and no door between the bedroom and the bathroom so no privacy at all. With teenagers, that's a problem.
t. The person by the front door where a bunch of brochures, etc were

So, we went down to the front desk right away to report all of our problems but there was of course, that line still checking people in. So, we went to the consierge. She was very helpful and called maintenance. They fixed the sink and the headboard but forgot about the toliet. He came back the next day to fix that. Housekeeping immediately brought us towels, tp, etc.

When we went to our presentation, Alayna was very apologetic and helpful. She understood what customer service is all about. They need more people like her. She was fantastic! She got us another room since some of the problems (washer/dryer, hide-a-bed, lack of privacy in the bathroom, etc) couldn't be fixed due to it being a handicap room (by the way, we booked 6 months in advance and weren't told we were in a handicap room but all these differences from what was on our reservation confirmation). But, we went to look at it and since it was on the 3rd floor, it had a lovely view of the garage and you couldn't really see the ocean at all except a sliver if you leaned over the balcony. So, we told her the view was more important and we'd stay where we were. They brought up a rollaway so my son didn't have to sleep on the floor. She also credited us back the charges for the additional wifi access we bought. We also came back from an outing the next day to find they completely cleaned the unit and changed all the sheets which they weren't supposed to do so that was very nice mid-stay.

Housekeeping and the consierge was very, very nice. Most of the staff were very friendly and made you feel very welcome. We heard from several of the owners in the hallway about problems they were having as well. Most of the issues are either housekeeping or maintenance related. When all of the changes are made and the new additions are complete, this place will be unbelievable. But, we felt that a lot of the problems we were encountering were from bad management.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank danettemon
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 17 September 2015
Thank you for sharing your vacation experience with us. We have renovated our property since you last visited and welcome you back to see what more we have improved on.

Best regards,
Ariel
Franklin, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

So let me say I love Myrtle Beach, my husband and I plan to move there in a few years after our children finish high school. We were so excited to take our trip June 23-27, 2014. We had great weather and an amazing view. The hotel is set up in an owners tower and hotel. We were clearly in the hotel part. Let me start by saying I have a hospitality management company and may be a little more critical because I am used to doing QA inspections, but I am only mentioning the obvious parts of our stay. The view again was amazing, right on the water we were even able to watch the fire works from our balcony that are done at the 2nd street pier. The hotel is an old Holiday Inn that was converted into the Westgate. So I understand older buildings. But the trash that was in the gap of the balcony was unacceptable. So was the mold in the shower. These are easily fixable items with caulk and cleanliness. Also, we were there for 4 nights, and we had to keep asking for hotel service and towels. They forgot us one day, and we had to keep calling for the rest of our stay. I value employees who notice their guests and are welcoming and say hello in the hallways. This serves two purposes in a hotel, 1 it deters people from doing bad things because they have been seen, and 2 it makes a guest feel welcome. The housekeeping staff even when engaged to say hello avoids the guest like the plague. I had no response when I said hello to the housekeepers and I watched them interact/or lack of interaction with other guests. This could be improved. I will say that the lady working the outside bar was amazing. She was short staffed with someone calling out and she was friendly and going like gang busters. Plus the virgin strawberry daiquiri was yummy. Thanks for the extra whip cream. The pools were very clean, the guy grilling outside was really nice and did nice work. Overall, the vacation was amazing, the hotel was ok. Would not stop me from staying again, but there is room for improvement.

Room Tip: If you are going to rent, spend the extra few bucks for the beachfront room. Across the street from...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Karla E
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We’re glad to hear you decided to experience the resort for yourself instead of going based off of others’ reviews. It’s great to know you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate and value your honest opinion and your comments about improvements that could be made. We will be forwarding this information to our resort management team; as this helps us know where we can improve. We’re honored you chose us and hope to see you the next time you’re in Myrtle Beach.

Nicole
Morristown, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I am a member of Westgate and thought all Westgate properties had certain standards of excellence, but boy, was I wrong!! The pictures on the website are deceiving. It was just an overhauled version of a tired old holiday inn. We saw five roaches in our room and one huge one outside by the pool just sitting and basking in his glory like some sort of spoiled pet! We had to park across the street adjacent to the hotel and never allowed to park in the hotel parking lot. Even though we are owners, we weren't using our time there. We were on a stay-and-play with a baseball tournament so we were checked in with that organization. Never again and thanks a lot Westgate! I suppose you'll still be wanting our yearly maintenance fees anyway...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jeffrey M
Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. We have taken note of all the issues you have described and have given this information to our resort management team. We hope you will allow us another chance to exceed your expectations.
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

DO NOT STAY HERE! We went through hotwire to book this hotel. It was advertised as a 3.5 star but we had no idea what we were in for when we arrived! This hotel should be SHUT DOWN. Its was old, the hallways were dirty. Our tub had rust on it. Vending machines didn't work and the last straw was when we saw roaches! They were LESS then accommodating and came up for many excuses as to the "palmetto bug problem" AKA roaches! We heard sooooo many other complaints while we were there we could have started a riot in the lobby with a full crew. Thank goodness when we called hotwire concerning the issue they were MORE than accommodating and got us out of that hell hole! DONT DO IT!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple