“Paying $$$ for a place to lay your head at night...but you might not want to.”

Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #73 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I don't consider myself a high standards type of gal but ooooh we, I guess once my shame and embarrassment subsides, I might consider kicking my standards up a notch, or two or ten. The purpose for our visit to Westgate Resort Myrtle Beach was strictly for family fun. I couldn't wait to see my kids faces when we pulled up to the palatial ocean front tower so elegantly posted on the resort's official website. Luckily for me, it was the wee hours of the morning upon arrival so I was able to wisk my children up to the 3rd floor of the "main" building before the light of day...or maybe it was unfortunate because I think if I had seen the premises in the light of day, I would have opted for forego all deposits and call it a vacation. Day one was spent wondering if we could last the 4 days we booked. Days 2 and 3 were spent off site enjoying all that Myrtle Beach has to offer. Night 3 was spent killing cockroaches the size of puppies in our room. When I went down to the desk to comment about our room guests, they chuckled at me and said: "Those are not cockroaches m'am. They are Palmetto bugs that dwell in palm trees. Northerners consider them cockroaches. But don't worry, they'll die within 24 hours if they don't have a water source...you know, in case you carry a few of them out the door with you." Ummmm...last I checked, I was not trying to sleep in a palm tree, these disgusting things are in our room. I'm sorry if I come across as ignorant but my northern intelligence leads me to believe that anything capable of scurrying across the wall at mach 10 and looks like an over grown cockroach...is a cockroach. Needless to say, I was left to fend off these things with shoes and tissue boxes. I encountered 2 different guests packing up early because they too were disgusted with these things and the fact that the resident pest control wasn't doing anything to rid the rooms of them. Why did we stay you ask? Our kids were enjoying the beach and the pools so much. Location-wise, the resort has it made, it just all falls apart in the looks and accomodations department. Oh did I mention that our radiator almost caught on fire? We had come back from the beach and our room was like an ice box (A/C worked too well). So we decided to turn the heater on just for a bit to warm up. There was so much dust and crud on the inside of the radiator, within 30 seconds of turning it on, smoke started billowing from it and off goes the fire alarm. We should have thought of that earlier to smoke out the bugs.

I don't really need to comment further about the rooms in the main building because a majority of the commentators on here have already accurately portrayed the living accommodations - not very nice. However, one minor detail that was not brought to my attention prior to booking at this resort was on-site parking - or lack there of. Regardless of guests paying $200+/night, on-site parking is reserved for their VIP time share owners only - no exceptions. Us low life resort guests were forced to park across the street (Ocean Blvd). For those of you who aren't familiar with OB, between the hours of 5 p.m. and midnight, you are taking your life into your own hands trying to cross this street to get to your car. On average, it took us at least 5 minutes to cross the street because yielding to pedestrians is viewed as more of a courtesy vs. law. You'll dodge bicyclists, golf carts, segways, roller bladers and scooters galore among your other more common road vehicles. It was beyond frustrating.

Not going to lie, I didn't check Trip Advisor beforehand. Ohhhhh the shame.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank SoSmoochableK
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We are so sorry that you experienced these issues with cleanliness of your room. Our housekeeping team is there to ensure that each room is spotless and ready for our guest’s arrival. Customer satisfaction is our main concern. We have taken note of this issue and will let the resorts housekeeping manager know. We would like to apologize if this caused any inconvenience during your stay. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Paid 322 dollars for 2 nights with a 3 hour tour REALLY! From the Time we pulled in we started getting screwed put us in a room the maid was still cleaning at 40 pm then was told another hour got moved to another room then at 7:00 a knock at the door cam and found out we was put in someone else's room and was treated like we did something wrong by the manager We have never been treated so bad and disrespected in our lives Arena and Matt the vapor guy was who dealt with us and Matt told my wife to sit down like a policeman I checked website it was 223 without tour did not even get a apology I would not stay there again if I was given a timeshare. IT'S NOT WORTH IT SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY AND SKIP THE TOUR AND WESTGATE ALSO DAVID SIEGEL THE OWNER WAS SUED BY 300 EMPLOYEES THEN AFTER ONLY PAYING 50 THOUSAND OF THE LAW SUIT HE QUIT PAYING LOOK IT UP SAID HE WAS THE REASON BUSH HAD BEEN IN THE WHITE HOUSE If Westgate had new managment it would be a nice place but...

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Nathan C
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2015

Thank you for sharing your vacation experience with us. We have renovated our property since you last visited and welcome you back to see what more we have improved on.

Best regards,
Ariel

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I've stayed at Westgate properties in the Orlando area and other places throughout the US and based on past experiences and the 'Name" I thought nothing of it when I decided to include this property along with my air which saved me so I thought a good amount of cash. As we drove up I said to my friend this wasn't always a Westgate property... After receiving the room keys we made our way to the room and immediately I know this wasn't what I was accustomed to when staying at a Westgate property. The little things led me to the conclusion such as the horrible paint job to the dirty looking refrigerator. After making a run and returning I noticed a large reddish colored insect with a large stinger resting on my bed on the pillow..... I managed to capture the insect and phoned down to the front desk.... Mind you the call was placed after showing this insect to a member of the housekeeping dept. and this staff member came in my room for all if 15 seconds and she dismissed my concern and simply said you're in the south so you can expect to see insects. At this point I placed the call to the front desk and they send the housekeeping supervisor up to investigate my concern. I was told she had never seen this type of insect and that the exterminator was on site and that she would run this by him to see what type of insect this is. I was offered free breakfast for both me and my friend. After she left the room I bent down to place something in that dirty looking refrigerator and what did I see small what appeared to be baby roaches all over both the inside and the outside if the unit....all under the white rubber insulation that goes around the door.... Such an uneasy feeling. I was told that they had no oceanfront rooms available and that the "newer" towers were oversold. I had to check out after they offered to refund my my $56 resort fee if I was willing to stay.... SHM.... Were they serious?

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Tomsttip119
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that you experienced issues with the cleanliness of your villa. We have made note of each one of your housekeeping and maintenance concerns and will address them directly with the resort. The issues you experienced should have been addressed immediately and our Front Desk staff should have moved you to another unit if there was a bug problem. We do hope that you will visit us again at another Westgate Resort and give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I stayed at Westgate 7/7-7/10 & it was less than mediocre. We had problems throughout our stay that were not corrected. Upon returning home, I found that the wrong credit card was charged. I have been fighting with this property ever since. Countless emails have been sent to corporate & I have spoken to 3-4 different people (managers...Jackie? Matt?) about this. All who have said this would be corrected & an updated receipt would be faxed to me. This had yet to be done!! I work in hospitality within a manager role & I would NEVER treat a customer with such disregard!

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Kara C
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2014

We are truly sorry for the issue you experienced. If you would like, please contact our Corporate Office at 800-217-5076 to speak with our Rapid Response Team to discuss your situation in further detail. We hope this will not keep you from visiting us again.

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I loved staying at Westgate. It was very affordable and we stayed in an ocean front hotel room. The staff was courteous and helpful. The hotel is very close to attractions. This is a great hotel for families as we'll. There are lots of activities for kids and adults. We would definitely come back!

• Stayed: August 2014
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

On behalf of all of the staff at the Westgate Myrtle Beach Resort, we would like to thank you for choosing us for your stay.

Your feedback can be an invaluable reference for others who are looking to stay in Myrtle Beach, for this reason we truly appreciate you sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

It pleases us to learn that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again.

Anja

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Westgate Myrtle Beach is centrally located near area attractions. We had an ocean front balcony room which was wonderful! I enjoyed being able to sit on the balcony and look at the soothing water. I would recommend this resort for exchange or ownership.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tinkydink

It is a wonderful feeling to be part of making your vacation experience a great one; with a stay at the Westgate Myrtle Beach Resort. We were glad to read you were able to relax and take in the scenic view of the ocean from your balcony. We thank you for your recommendation and patronage. Hope to see you again soon!

Anja

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

We went in July of this year. We ended up booking the Westgate because we got an awesome deal through a vacation.
Check in went fine. We were on the top floor (4 I think) and as soon as the elevator opened you could feel the humidity from the floor. And it smelt horrid. And then as we walked down to the end of the hall where our room was and got to the ice machine there was a puddle, probably three feet of the hall. Disgusting. As you walked on it your feet literally squished. We told housekeeping. They just shrugged it off. It was there the whole week we were. Which is why it probably smelt so bad.

Our room was fine. Basic style with balcony. The balcony had obvious wear and the bathroom wasn't the cleanest.

Parking was the worst part of this hotel. You park ACROSS the street. You have to cross a pretty busy street too. Not my ideal of safe with small children.

They did have daily activities for the kids which I loved. However they were short and the staff didn't seem organized.

Overall the stay at the Westgate was alright. I would not book here again, though, even with a discounted rate.

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the issues you experienced and for any inconvenience they may have caused. Your review will be shared with management including the housekeeping and maintenance departments. We appreciate that you brought these issues to our attention as we work diligently to resolve them. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.