“Not horrible, not great”

Bermuda Sands Motel
Ranked #169 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 5 November 2007

My 2 teenagers and I stayed in a poolfront room for 5 days. Overall, the experience was not bad. On the plus side, the staff was very friendly and helpful, and quick to make repairs (we had trouble with the lock on our door). The lazy river ride was a lot of fun (if not that clean), and the jacuzzi was okay. The kids' water park enclosed within the lazy river was nice and the kids enjoyed standing under the buckets that would dump water on theirhotel for walking dogs, relaxing, etc. There is an on premises laundry room available. The hotel is located right on the beach, right next to the wonderful pier (the pier restaurant is GREAT and very low priced). Not much need for a car as it's within walking distance to the Family Kingdom, restaurants, etc. I did not see one roach during my stay there, and it was nice to have a small kitchen area. The beds were okay and the room was kept reasonably clean. The price for 5 days was very reasonable, even for late June. You can't expect a five star hotel for a price like that ($80 a night).'

On the negative side, the carpets were very old and musty, and smelled like urine. I never saw the elevator, as we stayed on the second floor, and used the stairs (I dislike elevators anyway). You would not want to walk barefoot on those rugs. The room was disappointingly outdated and grungy looking, with a chipped tub and rust stains in the tub and sink. Beige shower curtains had green stuff on them (mold?) Kitchen sink extremely tiny, but how often do you even get a kitchen in a hotel room? The lock on our door (actually an old fashioned bolt type of thing) popped off the door twice (the door was extremely hard to open) and we had to call maintenance twice. They did come promptly though and were very apologetic. The lazy river was fun but not very clean, green with either too much chlorine or (shudder) urine. Also it was way too warm and felt more like a bathtub than a pool. "Indoor" pool (actually outdoors but sheltered by a breezeway) is very small and shallow (only 4 1/2 feet deep in the middle) but gave a good view of the oceanfront. Hot tub nice but also not too clean and very crowded most of the time. My son came home with a rash all over his back from either the lazy river or the hot tub. There is a sign that says "restaurant" but the staff told me it was closed. At night the place is a little scary, with people yelling outside all night, and shady looking teenagers and men hanging around the pool and balconies that look like they might be gang members. Parking is cramped and awful but there is so much to do within walking distance that we hardly had to move the car at all once we got there.

Would I stay there again? Probably, for the price. However, I will probably research other hotels in the area at a comparable price that are a little classier.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 October 2007

We were looking for a place that was pet friendly and this is the first one we found so we could take our dog. We went up in the elevator (they have two). One has "carpet", which is a rug with the corner cut out to go around the door. It smelled soooo bad I literally had to cover my nose with my shirt or beach towel to breath. It smells like the rug is rotting and of urine. The other elevator has a rubber flooring that smells also but not quite as bad and they are VERY hot. (no air). The room was decent except for the condom wrapper and used cotton swabs behind the night stand. I had to pull out the stand to use a plug in. About the third day there, a 2 inch roach was crawling across the bathroom floor but it was the only one I saw in the room! Saw two others in the hall outside the room.
The carpet in the hallways are rotten and dirty. You will want to wear flip flops at all times. There was always trash in the halls near the elevators. Always running over. There was trash on the grounds that was still there when we left. I picked up the empty beer case that someone threw out in the parking lot by my car. The grounds keeper did mow while we were there but he just mowed over the papers and shreded them. When we left, it was still there. I watched him mow and wondered if he was going to reach down and pick some of it up, but not to my surprize, he didn't.
The maids are VERY NICE and anything we needed, they furnished. We didn't use the maid service except to ask for towels and empty our trash which we set out for them. You couldn't ask for better service from them.
The pool was closed for a whole day because they put chemicals in it, so if anyone stayed that one day, they got no use of the pool. Couldn't understand why they couldn't have done that at night when it was closed. the lazy river looked very dirty.
OK, my overall opinion of this place.....I won't stay there again, afraid of taking roaches home. I will board my dog next time and stay elsewhere. Like I said, the room itself wasn't bad but this place sure needs some cleaning up.

Reviewed 22 September 2007

We stayed at Bermuda Sands in September. The only reason we stayed there was because we wanted to take our dog. First off I was promised that we could pay 1/2 of the price of our stay and pay the rest at the end of our stay due to a change in my pay schedule at work. The manager stated that it would not be a problem. Once we arrived there, the front desk lady said Im sorry there is no record of this you must pay in full. So we did. Our room was not dirty but it was not the cleanest place I have stayed. I really enjoyed the lazy river but I wish there was a outdoor pool that was not enclosed. The outdoor pool is in a breeze way. They have plenty off room in front of the hotel between it and the beach. The maid staff were very nice we had no problems with them. Althought the front desk staff could have used a little help. Another issue is the parking. It is CRAZY!!!!!! If you want a parking space at all you better not stay out too late. We had to create a parking space several times scared that our truck would get towed. Also when we went to check out I was looking for a luggage carrier. It was 7:00 AM in the morning so I didnt think there would be a problem finding one. Well of course their was not one in site. I checked with the front desk and she stated she did not know where they were I could just check each floor. I did so and found ZERO. So we carried all our luggage from the 5th floor to our truck. It would have to be or wrost beach trip ever. We will not be staying at Bermuda Sands again. I know it is difficult to find a place that takes pets....but my search continues.........

Reviewed 18 September 2007

I don't know what everyone was complaining with. There were NO roaches, the beds were comfy, the rooms were clean, and the pool was awesome. The staff was extremley nice and accomodating. I can't wait to stay here again, and I would HIGHLY recommend this place to anyone staying in the Myrtle Beach area with children and/or pets. It was perfect.

Reviewed 13 September 2007

My husand and I just got back from a wonderful trip to Myrtle Beach. The hotel was just lovely and the staff was very friendly without being intrusive.
Our suite was very very clean. The beds were comfortable and we loved the balcony.

Reviewed 5 August 2007

One word - COCKROACHES !!!!! We have been to Myrtle Beach several times and booked at Bermuda Sands because of my daughter's dog. On the 3rd night we were out late, came back to room, turned on lights and saw the roaches. We were devastated. The next morning the exterminator was sent in. He showed us behind the refrigerator and I was completely sick with what we saw. Total investation. He also told us there was "fecal matter" in the cabinets. We took a couple of roaches to the night desk clerk that confirmed they were roaches. We spent the rest of the night finding a hotel along the strip that took pets. What a nightmare! Then I had to argue for a refund with the general manager. When I threatened to go sit by the pool with the water bottle of roaches we caught he gave us a partial refund. However, I have since filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau for a full refund. I also filed a complaint with the health department. If I have to file in small claims court, I will. No other hotel chain had anything good to say about the Bermuda Sands and some laughed when they found out where we were staying. The elevators were stinky and yes there was trash in the hallways. The room looked dingy. If you have a pet, I suggest the Affordable Family Resort or the Sea Mist Resort - little more expensive but worth it.

• Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank Karen1120
Reviewed 3 August 2007

The motel itself was great, I had no problems with it. It was clean and the bed was very comfortable. We had great maid service. And the motel itself was nice and quiet at night.
I did have a problem with the beach area out front. Because the motel is located next to the pier, there are a lot of fishermen out there and when you get in the waters you can get snagged on a fishing line.
Actually while we were sitting on the beach, a young girl tourist was in the water and we noticed her parents carrying her out. She had stepped on a fishing line and it went thru her foot.
There are also NO SWIMMING flags posted in this area. I'm not sure if these flags are there al the times or just certain times, but it is not a good beach location if you are going to be in the water a lot. But it is a good value for the money, so if you don't mind walking down the beach some, I would recommend it. Again, the motel was terrific, it's just the location is not so terrific.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple