“If you can afford ANYTHING else, skip this place”

Bermuda Sands Motel
Ranked #167 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 20 August 2008

We booked at an insanely cheap rate, $99 for four nights, plus a $30 or $40 pet fee. Total. So our expectations weren't high, but we thought we could handle an older hotel with some wear and tear. I had read the reviews on here and was a little nervous, but due to current finances, we really couldn't have gone if it weren't for this rate. So, off we went!
The front desk people were nice enough, as were most of the maids. However, my dog thought we were on our floor (when in fact it was the second floor), and started off for what she thought was our room. She didn't go in, but the door was open and a maid was apparently cleaning. I redirected her and started back up the second flight, when the maid came out of the room and said rudely, "are you looking for something?". I was bewildered as we hadn't lingered--just told her no, that I was just getting my dog, and kept on. I guess if you're going to have maids, you would rather them protect you than invite someone in, but to me it was obvious that we were not trying to snoop...The lifeguard was rude as well. We asked him if the chairs were rented or if it was first come first serve, and he gave us a look that the devil would have shivered at. Strange...
Also, our room left much to be desired. For some reason they didn't tell me there was a coffee maker--that would have saved me a fortune on prebought starbucks bottles. But where was the coffee? In the vending machine! And forget about cream and sugar...if they had it I never saw it.
Also, where was the alarm clock? Or ANY clock? That would have been okay, if I were going for the whole "island" vibe, but there wasn't even a contact number next to the phone to tell us how to get ahold of the front desk...so who knows if they did wake up calls??
We told the maids our first day to skip our room because we had the dog in there....apparently they took that as "don't bother the whole trip". By day 2 it was disgusting with overflowing garbage and sand everywhere, so I went down to the front desk and asked for maid service. I was told they had left for the day. Funny, check in is at 3, and it was one? Why can't they let people check in earlier then? So day three I hunted down a maid (who bless her heart was terrified of our dog), and we took her out of the room while she cleaned. But she didn't even wipe the fridge or microwave off, which had quite a bit of coffee grounds on it. (Must have been from me fighting to open the coffee out of the vending machine).
The floor always had dampness to it...I was scared to take off shoes. There was a leak on the ceiling close to our door--it had obviously been painted over several times before. Why wouldn't they just fix it? Can you imagine the mold? Also, there was a large crack under our door--Probably about an inch and a half tall.
But the worst part was my skin started freaking out the second day. While I have no way to prove this, I wonder if it was bed bugs. Maybe it was sand mites--but why risk it? I broke out on my stomach, my chest, and my back, and by the time I got home I had it everywhere. It was miserable.
Oh, and they charge you everytime you use the phone in the room, even if it's local. You are also given a key--just a key. Nothing attached to it. I can imagine several of these are lost in the sand outside the facility--probably why they have a "key deposit".
The shower pressure was great. I was really bummed about the hotel, but at $25/night what do you expect? Just don't pay more, or you'll be sorry....
This hotel is cheap but they will nickel and dime you to death...and it is really the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I was honestly surprised that hotels like this still exist.
BTW, the ice maker was still inoperable when we were there, and the outside drain still clogged...elevators still stuck like urine (and I work at a hospital, and it bothered me!), and trash EVERYWHERE.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 August 2008

oh my god...i have never in my life stayed in such a dump. i had to plug the tv in to make it come on and unplug it to make it go off. the air conditioner vents were all missing. the bathroom had enough hair on the walls to make a wig. the towels had just about as much hair in them. i had to go buy my own towels. the elevators smelled like urine. i will never stay here again or reccomend this place to my worst enemy.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2008

We arrived 8-8-08 and were very happy to be able to check in earlier than 3:00.The price and "pet friendly" were the main reasons we picked this hotel and the pictures on their website looked pretty good.The first thing we found that was terrible was the smell of the elevators.They smelled like urine the 4 days we were there.The next thing was when we entered the room you could tell this was a very old hotel that had a lot of bandaids to make it look better.I opened the "kitchen" cabinet and was met with a roach.Luckily we only found 1 all 4 days.The next thing was the toilet would not flush and the ceiling over the shower was leaking.It took 3 different men to finally fix it the third day.We were finally offered a different room the third day or we could get our money back and go elsewhere.I thought the outdoor pool was outdoor not underneath.I was told there was only 2 ice machines and the one on our floor never worked the whole time we were there.My husband watched them write a work order and I called about no ice but it was never fixed.Going to the beach you had to go thru standing water from the green drain.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2008

My family and I went down to the beach and wanted to take our pets, this has to be the best pet friendly hotel in myrtle beach. We had a great stay and will continue to go there. I will not stay anywhere else because the Landmark is over priced and will not let dogs nor people under 21 even if they are married and have their own house and credit card and the manager cussed me and hung up on me. But my husband and I are going down for a romantic getaway this Aug and we are staying at Bermuda Sands and never once have I went there and it be dirty or have a foul smell. The management will do anything they can to make you happy and will go out of their way. That is one thing I like about that hotel it is small,simple, quite and very well ran.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2008

We had stayed here before and been very pleased. therefore, we reserved one of the penthouses along with my brother and his family for a short stay. Upon arrival, we found that several light bulbs were out and the entrance doors were almost impossible to get locked or unlocked. Maintenance came and replace the bulbs and tried to fix the doors without much success. We subsequently found that the refrigerator did not work so mainenance again came up and changed out the refrigerator. other problems we found were that the bathtub was filty (that problem was solved when housekeeping finally showed up the second day of our stay and really cleaned the rooms), one of balcony doors was completely inoperable, there were holes in the carpet, some of the carpet and linoleum was coming up, the sofa was broken and you could not sit on it much less use the sleeper sofa part of it. Additionally, the hallways were always filthy, the elevators smelled terrible and there was no ventalation at all in them and the lazy river was unusable for a day and a half. Overall, it was not a pleasant place to stay and we would not go back.

from Virginia

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2008

We were shocked at the condition of the room when we entered! Dirty, run down, torn furniture and 2 bullet holes in the window! I am so glad we decided not to bring our dogs to stay under these conditions. They had it 100% better at home! I actually had a flee jump on me while I was sitting on the bed! I did not unpack my suitcase cause the furniture was sooooooo dirty! When I got home, I washed all my clothes - even the ones we didn't wear. Needless to say, we will not be staying there ever again and feel we wasted good money to stay there!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2008

Ok, I went to this hotel in August expecting nothing more than a place to sleep and a pool, as this was the first time seeing the ocean. Parking was fine nothing wrong there. but that was the only good thing. The elevator broke down many times in our 5 night stay. The floor of the elevator stayed wet all the time so it stunk horribly. Once we got to the room, we left immediatly to go to get some lysol or frebreeze. The room smelled as someone had died in there 2 weeks earlier. We had to spray twice a day to keep the smell standable. The pool was supposed to be indoors but it had a concrete roof over it with no walls. The wind blowed through and made it very cold. there was no outdoor pool. Only a lazy river which also stunk and look disgusting like someone had peed in it. This hotel for us was very cheap and we got what we payed for.

• Stayed: August 2005, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)