“Vaction from hell”

Bermuda Sands Motel
Ranked #169 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Please do not stay at this motel. FILTH FILTH FILTH. The outside of the motel and the lobby leads one to believe this is a normal economy style motel. The horror begins when entering the elevator. The smell was unbearable, sort of like rotted sea food.There was filth smeared on the elevator walls that I can't even guess what it was. The stairs are not much better with filth on the carpet and booze bottles littering the halls. Upon entering our room, we opened the door to a horrible smell. There was less than a half roll of toilet paper in the bathroom and there was black mold on the calking around the tub. After further inspection, we found caked on dirt on the dressers and night stand. When pulling back the curtain to look at our view, we discovered dirt and grime on the back of the curtain. We went down to the front desk and were told the housekeeping staff was gone for the day and they didn't have any other rooms. They sent up a maintenance man to spray the tub. I then asked for cleaning supplies so I could at least get the room livable. I had to scrub hard and still didn't get off all the build on grime. There was what appeared to be a boogie on the head board of the one bed.The horror doesn't end there, right before bedtime I looked up and spotted a huge roach on the wall. My husband later found several in the bathroom. The pool area was also dirty looking, with a man smoking in the pool.
I asked to speak with the manager and was told he wouldn't be there until Monday. ( We arrived on Saturday night) That Monday the manager was very nice and gave me a refund for the night that I cleaned the room. He sent a man up to re-caulk the tub. They would have refunded my money but I didn't know where else to stay. We had our dog along and was unfamiliar with the area. We didn't know which hotels accepted pet and which ones were within our price range.
Overall this was a horrible vacation. The only positive thing about this motel is the view and location. The area and grounds are beautiful. They were very deceptive with the room rates they advertised on there hotel sign. These rates were nearly half of what I paid. When I inquired about this I was told those rates were for people staying one night. The sign didn't say that.
I will never stay at this motel again. I just hope I don't catch some disease from that filthy room.

1  Thank csmdbk1

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The hotel needs to be torn down. Bathroom door was barely hanging on the hinges, microwave was set on top of two sticks of wood and uneven, room was beyond outdated and furniture and fixtures were broken. You could feel EVERY spring in the mattresses, the hall ways were nasty, walls crumbling, and the elevator had the most rancid smell. Parking was horrible and they had three luggage carts for the WHOLE hotel. The pools and decks were not cleaned, trash that was in it the day before would be in it the next morning when it was opened. I have never stayed in a place this neglected and it seems the manager/owner doesn't really care about the condition of the property either.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I stayed at the Bermuda Sands Hotel/Motel, in July 2014 and I will NEVER stay there again. The hotel's location is ideal--right on the beach; and the views from our ocean-front room was spectacular. BUT, the condition of the Type 2, Ocean-front room, with a private balcony was awful: the bathroom door had to be replaced, because it was falling off its hinges and looked like it had been kicked in; the faucet had to be replaced, because we could not turn off the water; the phone had to be replaced, because it had no dial-tone; I would NEVER use the in-room Jacuzzi tub, because of the "cruddy" jets; the mattress was so uneven--with hills and valleys; we had to go out to the balcony to get reception on our cell phones; and the so-called "free" WiFi did not work!!!

The common spaces were so dirty and unsanitary that guests had to "hold our breath" when riding in the elevators. I love pool swimming, but the Bermuda Sands swimming pool water looked so unsanitary that I would not get into either the regular pool or the "lazy river" pool.

This hotel/motel needs a major renovation and better maintenance!!!

Disappointed!!

1  Thank Janice T
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The location is the the only plus. It is right next to 2nd ave. pier and our 5th level oceanfront room gave us an amazing veiw of the weds night fireworks. It is a very old hotel. Some of the walkways have crumbling concrete. There was paint peeling on the ceiling of our balcony. The carpet turned feet and sandals black. The bed wasnt that comfortable. You could feel the springs. The parking was very difficult. Not enough parking. The wi-fi had tight restrictions and we were not able to check the lottery results online. A message showed up saying it was restricted because it was in the gambling category. We were able to check it by calling in on our phone, but it was irritating. The indoor pool and outdoor lazy river didnt look well maintained. The water wasnt dirty but they still didnt look very good and we swam once for a short time. We were told we could swim in the Bar Harbour (sister property) outdoor pool but we never got around to checking it out. Thats ok we were there to swim in the ocean...

The room seemed clean. The housekeeping did a good job on the cleaning everyday and were nice. The people at the front desk were nice and helpful. Also, thankfully the ac worked well in our room. Microwave and fridge worked. Plenty of hot water in the shower. No mold in the shower--which I have seen in other places but not here.

Room Tip: Ocean Front--at least 3rd floor
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kristy L
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Checked in July 22nd. room was filthy. I went to front desk talked to the head person in charge of cleaning she said she would take care of it.. What a joke.. Stayed gone 6 hours so the could clean it, came back nothing had been touched. By this time everyone was gone so front desk said the would send the janitor to clean it.. We left again came back he had sprayed air freshener and made the beds.. Didn't change them cause the same stuff was on them.. I could have sprayed air freshener.. Went back to front desk cancelled our reservations and left.. This was a horrible place the outside wasn't even clean. It's not worth staying at will never go back there!!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

When we arrived finding parking was horrible...finally made it to our room on the other side of the hotel,since the elevator on our side was broken made it even more horrible, when entering our room we found that the microwave was cracked,fridge barely was cold(never got any colder), tv in the extra bedroom was not working and after 3 calls we finally got a used one on the second day after we was assured we woukd get a brand new one, also we paid $109 a night and sign the next day said $59 for a side view room like we had, whole hotel was trashy..walked by a beer can and other trash in the stairway 3 days before they picked it up(I was gonna see how long before they got it), only pool they had was a covered heated pool which really didnt care for in 90 degree weather and the fact that a large terd was in there and when I reported it to the office they rudely said "your the third person that has told me this" maintenance got the feces out and didnt even close the pool afterwards!!! Wow!! Lazy river only had about 8 floats and the water barely flowed,rooms did have a weird smell, and smelled pot about 4 times while we were there, didn't get a info pack about the hotel...had to call or figure it out urself, Good location but horrible parking and def needs renovated compared to the other hotels they own there....oh yeah office has better appearance than the whole hotel so don't let the first impression fool ya!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Donnaduck88
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We arrived to no hardle any parking available. Pool view 2 bedroom unit room 105 was falling apart smelled like an ashtray, the bathrown counter had all kinds of burns & door handle was about to fall apart with holes in the door. The only appliance that was descent was the fridge. But the carpet looked descent. We asked about changing rooms on Friday for the remainder of the 2 nights we had & they couldn't move us until Sat for 1 night which was a 2 queen bed oceanfront room 536 which was a much better room it was cleaner & didn't smell of smoke.
The website was very misleading & I didn't see anywhere on it that said all units allowed smoking.
The evening staff was OK but not as friendly as the lady that moved our room & the cleaning lady was very friendly when we asked to have the first room cleaned good on Friday morning, she was great with getting us extra towels too.
I would not refer anyone to this motel.

• Stayed: July 2014